The Side of Weight Loss No One Talks About

Options

Replies

• AMBlass
    AMBlass Posts: 161
    Options
    I try to buy really cheap clothes while losing weight. Lots of Target, TJ Maxx, just got some jeans at Old Navy for $25 when I grew "out" of my size 16s. And I only bought one pair and they're going to have to last me! This way I don't feel so bad about losing weight. I only buy things that I think will last me several sizes, like shirts, because I'm not going to become a size medium for a long time.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    I've discovered that you can get addicted to the feeling of success when you lose weight. So when you get to a weight where you shouldn't lose any more weight, it can be hard to stop wanting to do it. At first I felt skinny, but after a while I started feeling fat again, even though my measurements were all the same.

This exactly...
    Then why not change the goal? Maintaining the weight while learning a new sport, entering a race, etc.?
  • slroggemann
    slroggemann Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    my biggest issue is dealing with being "Mentally fat", Its so much more than just needing to lose weight but also a personal journey. I started in 2010 and i am still trying to emotionally deal with everything. One day at a time is my motto!
    I've discovered that you can get addicted to the feeling of success when you lose weight. So when you get to a weight where you shouldn't lose any more weight, it can be hard to stop wanting to do it. At first I felt skinny, but after a while I started feeling fat again, even though my measurements were all the same.

Both of these! I'm at 145 right now, and a size 8-10 in pants, depending on the brand, size M in a lot of tops and dresses...It's hard to stop feeling fat. I'm also really addicted to losing weight. I've lost 40pounds and I feel healthier, but I just can't stop wanting to lose more.
  • brittanybrown1991
    Options
    i agree with that one. i'm an emotional/bored eater. so i have to constantly think about "am i actually hungry? is it something else?"
  • Danam48
    Danam48 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    bump to read later when I am not so sleepy..
  • upgetupgetup
    upgetupgetup Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    I'm going to add something positive to this incredibly depressing thread.

Cool thing about weight loss for me that no one ever talked about was how incredibly empowering it is. I feel like going through this craziness of losing weight makes me feel like I can pretty much accomplish anything now. Cheesy, but good stuff.

Awesome! And so true

VERY EMPOWERING!! and who knew that exercise was such a stress reliever!!!

Ok, yes, seriously, this is by far the biggest takeaway from the whole thing for me. Never in my life had I approached a goal in such a methodical way, or, not without being derailed by some thing or other. I've learned psychological habits that are key to living constructively. More than the weight loss itself, that's what I wish I were able to understand earlier.

Mind you, not everything's as controllable or contained as food intake and exercise (and even there, there are unexpected hiccups, like injuries). But at least some of the important mental habits can transfer to other areas of life.

Also big yes to stress relief and mood management.
  • jenny3073
    jenny3073 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    The comments from people " oh, she can't eat that so no need to make it" I think that non dieters have no idea that we still EAT! That and the clothes... I have bought 5 new sizes this year, lots of money loss. We should start a clothing trade on here !!!! :)

5 sizes, wow!
    I was sure I was going to do it this time so during the time we were waiting for our house we didn't have rent or mortgage for a few months, I bought tons of clothes in 2x and 1x. I'm still in the 3-4x range so I have a whole closet full of new clothes in the next size down. I'm anticipating being able to use them through the end of this year, then hoping to move on to a smaller size next year.
  • leighdiane91
    leighdiane91 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    The fact that my butt and thighs will just always be big. I wear a 14 now (186lbs), and I wore a tight 14 when I was 207. When I was 160 I wore a 12. i will be over the moon if I ever get into a 10.
  • heidihorton
    heidihorton Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    The comments from people " oh, she can't eat that so no need to make it" I think that non dieters have no idea that we still EAT! That and the clothes... I have bought 5 new sizes this year, lots of money loss. We should start a clothing trade on here !!!! :)

5 sizes, wow!
    I was sure I was going to do it this time so during the time we were waiting for our house we didn't have rent or mortgage for a few months, I bought tons of clothes in 2x and 1x. I'm still in the 3-4x range so I have a whole closet full of new clothes in the next size down. I'm anticipating being able to use them through the end of this year, then hoping to move on to a smaller size next year.

Keep working at it! I just tried on my summer clothes today that I kept because last year they were way to small, now they too are way to big. It does not happen overnight but it does happen. Friend me if you want! :)
  • shoshi68
    shoshi68 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    my biggest issue is dealing with being "Mentally fat", Its so much more than just needing to lose weight but also a personal journey. I started in 2010 and i am still trying to emotionally deal with everything. One day at a time is my motto!

This.
  • rchiecuto
    rchiecuto Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    The fact that my butt and thighs will just always be big. I wear a 14 now (186lbs), and I wore a tight 14 when I was 207. When I was 160 I wore a 12. i will be over the moon if I ever get into a 10.

this! :(
    when i was younger and 130 i could barely get in a size 8
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    How differently I would be treated.I kind of resent it sometimes.

I'm the same person with the same personality and the same brain.

Yet I was with the same company for 14 years and didn't get any of the promotions I put in for until I lost weight.

THIS!!!!

Man! I have noticed just how much my weight was impeding my job success too. Still pi$$es me off.
  • angeldaae
    angeldaae Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    The fact that losing the weight doesn't automatically fix all the other non-weight-related problems in your life, even though you think your life will be perfect if you could just weigh less.
  • jenniejengin
    jenniejengin Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    bump to read later when I am not so sleepy..

same here
  • smilingirisheyes
    smilingirisheyes Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    How differently I would be treated.I kind of resent it sometimes.

I'm the same person with the same personality and the same brain.

Yet I was with the same company for 14 years and didn't get any of the promotions I put in for until I lost weight.

THIS!!!!

Man! I have noticed just how much my weight was impeding my job success too. Still pi$$es me off.

This EXACTLY.
  • ShmareParks
    ShmareParks Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    ladies are constantly throwing themselves at me.

bahahahahahahahahahaha
  • taylorwaylor
    taylorwaylor Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    What i dislike.... Is when people post their success stories. They just seem to be so positive(ik that they should be very happy with themselves though!) Anyways... its insipiring to see someones success, but for the person that hasnt reached their goals yet, its a little discourageing, because they dnt seem to explain how hard it was to stick with or that they had their time of doubts and dissapointment....

This was hard to explain for some reason, ha... So idk if it makes much sense!
  • mowree
    mowree Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    The one thing I'm discovering is no matter how someone else did it....it's still a personal experience and you HAVE to figure out for yourself WHAT WORKS. There IS a "magic" formula that your body will respond to but finding it can be tough. AND...unfortunately (for me, anyways) it has been an unpleasant reality that I just have to be "hungry" on ocassion if I want to lose more weight.
  • annalongworth
    annalongworth Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    OBSESSION. I have OCD, so that doesn't help...but I don't know how to balance it out. I am so obsessed with weight, it consumes my mind.
  • Koshkaxo
    Koshkaxo Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    -any self esteem issues you have will not magically disappear at a lower weight. Theyre actually becoming more obvious now because I cant blame it on my weight anymore :(

-also, that despite all the interest shown in how ive been doing it, most are not actually interested in my response. no one wants to hear that ive been exercising and eating less... thats boring to them. the hgc drops are getting more popular at my work :( and im the dummy for not trusting them haha