Help I have trouble eating under 2000 cals a day!

Options

Replies

• queenbear5
    queenbear5 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. I feel miserable if I can't eat whatever I want, and I can't fit whatever I want in under 2,000 calories. Therefore, I exercise a lot. If you want to eat more, exercise more. It works like a charm. :smile:
  • rdjamis
    rdjamis Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    eat less carbs more fiber you feel fuller
  • Woomytron
    Woomytron Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    It sounds like your definition of "normal" needs to change. 900 calories for one meal would be normal for, maybe, a linebacker. Or an unhealthy person. I think I eat like a "normal" person. I don't restrict anything, if I want it, I have it. And I am usually right where I need to be for calories. If I am going to eat more I exercise and "earn" some more calories. Check out my diary, it is open.

Couldn't have said it better.
    You gotta look at what you are putting in your mouth. Sometimes its ok to eat a big huge hamburger for lunch but don't do it every day. No one says you have to eat 2 hard boiled eggs for a meal... I mean wtf is that? haha You can have great HEALTHY meals that fill you up without it being so boring. It takes awhile to learn how to do it... google is your friend. Start there. Trust me there is some great stuff. Took me 3 years to learn that eating healthy doesn't need to be boring.
  • MYvantagepoint
    Options
    The easy answer to this is to simply exercise a little more so that you can eat more. Sometimes that's easier said than done. Try eating complex carbs that fill you up. Stay away from hamburger. Only Chicken and Turkey... Eat Bananas! Have a lot of sugar but proven to help your mood and make you feel good. When you feel good you feel confident. When you feel confident you won't feel the need to eat more... Not sure that makes sense! LOL! Bottom Line - the truth hurts - Eat All You Want and EXERCISE ALL THE TIME! :-)
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options

lmaooooooooo sorry it made me LOL especially when most people have eggs, "toast, pancakes or waffles" a slice or two of bacon or sausage maybe both and lets not forget the condiments butter and syrup etc... breakfast is a big and fatty meal for a lot of people.... thats not an abnormal meal if you google breakfast you will likely get the above... so one baked potato for dinner is a large meal for you?

no way. SOME people have a meal like that for breakfast on the weekends. anyone who eats that way regularly is either genetically very lucky, an athlete who needs the calories... or fat.
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    OP, essentially what I'm hearing is you want to keep doing exactly what you're doing, but lose weight. You want to do none of the work but get all the benefits. You've done nothing but try and justify what you are doing, and cut down anyone who dares to tell you that SHOCK HORROR, the reason you can't lose weight is because you're eating too much. Something has to give here, and the way I see it you have two choices. You can either keep eating 'normal' and stay fat, or you can start to realise that how you are eating is nowhere, NOWERE near normal. Once you do that, and actually start to take on board some of the very good advice you've been given, you might be in a position to change your definition of normal, change your eating habits, and lose weight.
    that makes complete sense.
    Yes, yes it does. OP just doesn't want to hear anything that means she has to stop eating like a "normal" (read: junk vacuum) person.
    Wow i cant believe how ignorance can be so bliss and widespread...smh
    I'd be careful advising the OP to eat less than 2000 cals without looking at her diary and stats. She says she works in an active job - so do I and my cal goal even now I'm down to 186lbs is still over 2000 cals and I eat my exercise cals back.

I am mildly confused as how she gets to the cals she does with what she has for breakfast - it is important to check foods in the MFP database are correct.

I have three eggs for breakfast and toast and I never come out at half her calories.
    Ding Ding Ding we have a winner!

If i was to follow all the tdee, bmr stuff or even MFP i'd have thouands of calories left even with eating 2300 cals and today i made this post because i was at a surplus or overage way more than I would have like.. and that was an edited version meaning i didnt eat as much or what i would have liked, i was surprised 2 tacos and a potato came out to 900 cals... it sounds ridiculous but its true...

Some people completely missed the point of this thread, saying i wanted to eat what i want and not put in the work... umm i have put in the work.. the problem is the work isnt apparently enough.. the problem is even with the work i cant consume a certain amount of cals without losing. My body seem to be more about consumption than expenditure, which sucks... and even with that i must have a lower consumption with an expenditure.. so all the talk about i want to eat what i want, no...i want to eat a normal meal or even forget the normal meal i want to eat 2000 cals whether it be (4) 500 cals meals or a 1300 cal meal and a 700 cal meal...basically not have to worry so much about simple stuff.. and im hungry because i burn A LOT OF CALS i mean stomach grumbling hungry, hunger pains like i said in the original post.. im not laying around all day and saying i want to eat what i want.. Im asking people if they have had the same issue, where they are active and cant lose without eating under 2000 its hard when your body is telling you its hungry!

im gonna have to go biggest loser style i guess lol get my 8 hours plus of workout and eat less than 1200 cals wow that would never work for me i'll be the one who had 1 doughnut at a challenge after exercising everyday for weeks and gained 20 pounds lmaoooo super sucks!!!

I'll certainly have to edit myself i cant have tacos, sounds silly.... i should have had 3 baked potatos for 330 cals or 3 eggs and toast 320 cals etc i'll have to eat what gets the job done for now.... sucks!

only thing that sucks is your attitude.
    I would like to help, but I am not sure if anything I have to say will even been helpful
  • Woomytron
    Woomytron Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    It sounds like your definition of "normal" needs to change. 900 calories for one meal would be normal for, maybe, a linebacker. Or an unhealthy person. I think I eat like a "normal" person. I don't restrict anything, if I want it, I have it. And I am usually right where I need to be for calories. If I am going to eat more I exercise and "earn" some more calories. Check out my diary, it is open.
    Are you serious? A line backer eats 2 soft tacos and a baked potato.. LMAOOOOOooo um okay.. im not sure what kind of linebacker you're accustom to, but definitely not a normal one!

how easy it is to have a 900 cal breakfast.

2 small flour tortilla shells 100 cals each, 90% lean beef @ 400, 1 oz cheese 110, 1/4 cup beans 60 cals, medium potato 150... yea because a linebacker eats just enough meat to fill the small tortilla shells, 1 0z of cheese between two tacos and a quarter of a cup of beans and 1 potato ::eyeroll::

Anyway I watch all the people at work eat garbage everyday this typical day for one of my coworkers is taco bell or fries and a dbl cheeseburger... another one she had a bag of marshmellos eating them like candy and a big bag of bbq potato chips and sour cream to dip them in and a bag of twizzlers.... i jut watch these people and im like wtf am I in bizarro world they all eat normal meaning just whatever nothing extra special or even healthy and are skinny to average body type.... i know i have to lose the weight in order to be able to eat "normal" but it would be nice to be able to eat what is considered a "normal or whats considered average amount of daily cals which is 2000 and lose" probably wont happen.. if anyone has done it let me know!

Not being mean, I'm trying to help but you ever think about making small changes. Maybe using wheat wraps instead of the white soft shell tacos. Or instead of potatoes you use sweet potatoes. Small changes add up to a big difference.

Also the people that are shoveling junk food in the mouths all day at work and still are "skinny" are probably not as healthy as you think. Some people are naturally skinny and some need to work their butts off to get that way.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Okay, so basically I need SOME ADVICE from people who have had trouble eating under 2000 cals a day...

I know all the simplistic answers make healthy choices, pack your lunch, stay away from junk etc... but i work long hours on my feet all day and at work i grab the nearest thing around, ive been good these last couple of days about not eating a crazy amount of cals but still i ate way over 1500 and felt like was darn starving myself.. how do you do it? Seriously my stomach grumbles and im having hunger pains.. i dont see how people sustain themselves off salad and a few chunks of chicken breast or fruit and water.. i feel like i ate nothing.. plus who wants to eat two hard boiled eggs for a meal wtf.. you know how it(2 boiled eggs) is on the menu in every restaurant:huh: :indifferent: ... i want to eat like normal.

like for breakfast i had 2 homemade soft tacos and a baked potato and it came out to @ 900 cals for two small tacos and a baked potato...

for lunch a homemade hamburger and fries almost 600 cals.. and it not like im using fatty meat... 90% lean ground beef is 200 for a quarter pound, bread is 100 cals, cheese 100, condiments about 50, potato and ketchup @ 150 cals...

you get my point... is anyone eating like a normal person and losing? I mean at work im gonna grab something convenient if i missed breakfast and am starving and the only thing in my vending machines are junk! chips and cupcakes etc... im not going to be hungry... this seems way more difficult than it should be.. Eat Less Cals, Exercise = Lose Weight.. but Doesnt seem like it works like that for me.. seems like im going to have to be in pain and starve and eat carrots and grass...

Feel free to friend me so that you can see what I eat. On my heavy exercise days, I have trouble making it UP to my calorie goal. The key is cutting out empty calories and eating nutrient dense food. I have cut out sugar and wheat, but you may not have to do anything so drastic. Those two items bring more empty calories into our diet than any other two "foods". Cutting them out worked like magic to greatly reduce my appetite and open up a whole new world of food tastes and aromas. Now I eat like a "normal thin person". :smile:

It likely means that you will have to develop a taste for things that you never thought you could (the first time I ate some avocado, I nearly gagged--now I love it). Eating a salad of tomatoes, cucumbers, avocado, green pepper with a dressing of fresh basil, lemon juice and garlic is like dessert to me now. Really. :flowerforyou: I would never go back to the crummy way I used to eat.
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    If you keep doing the same things you have always done, you're going to keep getting the same results. Continuing to remain the same and expecting a different outcome is the literal definition of insanity.

Start honestly logging your meals, and I have a feeling you'll figure it out quickly. Invest in a food scale, it will make your life easier. Check out recipe websites like skinnytaste.com. Cooking a couple times a week will help you avoid the packaged stuff and feel more satiated.

BTW, here's what 300 calories can look like if you're willing to throw some things in the slow cooker.

slow-cooker-jerk-pork-with-mango-salsa.jpg
  • Jennyfaye13
    Options
    Maybe become MFP friends with people who make their food log public so you can see what they are eating. This might provide you with some good ideas. The real issue seems to be that you aren't ready to make the change which is totally understandable because it's such a difficult thing to change your mind set and emotional/physical cues. Hunger pangs are usually dehydration since very few of us on this site are likely starving. It has taken a year but I am finally in a mental place that I don't feel like 1200 calories a day is prohibitive. I have a very diverse array of foods that I eat (basically anything I want) and I have just become responsible for my portion size. I actually leave food on my plate if need be. I also try to log it before I eat it and that helps me decide if it's worth it. Good luck and hang in there!
  • Jennyfaye13
    Options
    Very nice!
  • willow_rb
    willow_rb Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    There are some really good suggestions here. Bump for later ref!
  • MadDogManor
    MadDogManor Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    I can completely relate to OP - I stand and walk all day at work (hospital lab) and I used to think that was enough exercise, probably because I'm exhausted when I'm done working. I'm also a binge eater who can inhale thousands of calories in a blink of an eye and still be hungry all day long. I didn't pay one rats *kitten* to my eating until I was 240 lbs - shocking, I know.

Since I've been on MFP I've had to try and curb my appetite to get under 2000 calories a day, and I always feel hungry, too. I'm not really doing anything special in the way of carbs, protein, etc at the moment - I'm just trying not to stuff my face with 6,000 calories a day. Once I can get control, I can start figuring out how to get healthy.

When I first started here, I found myself gorging on chips and queso. I then measured and weighed out what I continued to eat, so I could log it. What an eye opener it was for me to see I had just ate 1000 calories in 15 minutes. Before dinner.

And no, I don't consider this "normal" and I don't think I'll ever be "normal" with food. That's just the way it is.
  • roxierachael
    roxierachael Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    colbertpopcorn.gif

This thread wins. No, seriously, we need a best of MFP.
  • madrose0715
    madrose0715 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    colbertpopcorn.gif

This thread wins. No, seriously, we need a best of MFP.

yep.
  • metacognition
    metacognition Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    "like for breakfast i had 2 homemade soft tacos and a baked potato and it came out to @ 900 cals for two small tacos and a baked potato... "

Definitely can switch that out for some lower calorie, higher bulk foods. Try 50 calorie light wheat wraps, don't cook your meat in oil, stuff your tacos with a lot of veggies and salad in addition to the lean meat.

There are lots of ways to cut calories. Snack on fruit, 100 calorie popcorn bags, etc.

If I tried to copy the average American diet I would be fat again in a heart beat.
    It is so high in fat, low in nutrition, and high in calories without taking up a lot of volume. Eating clean, lower calorie foods is better and yep, I do feel full after meals. I also snack way more than those average people who are higher in weight.
  • carolynbergen1
    Options
    What a bunch of BS this is. So what does one have to do on here? Check everyone's previous posts, food and exercise diaries before taking the time to respond to a person that may need help or encouragement? And yeah, I DO keep my diaries private, I will admit that, but not because I want to "fool" anyone. I stumbled on here and found the food/calorie calculator, which was exactly what I was looking for. Didn't even check out "the community" for weeks. Saw no reason to open up my food intake for the world to dissect. But this is total ****, and the OP knows it. What's her name on here? I Want it Too? Something like that...whatever....but as Judge Judy always says "if it doesn't make sense, then it isn't true". Who the hell goes on a fitness site with a handy cal counter app, but rarely logs her food intake?. When she does do it she's logging that she eats doritos, cream filled chocolate cupcakes and candy bars for breakfast,? She claims she is pushing 250 lbs and appears to be a beginner at working out, yet logs that she is doing step aerobics on an 8"-10" step for 30 minutes and then is on an elliptical for 20??? Yeah, riiiight. I just started working out again after being a couch potato for years. I do 30-40 min on a treadmill, 10% incline at 3.2-3.5 mph and I am wiped. I would collapse in a heap doing what she claims to do as a workout and I am nowhere near 250 lbs and I certainly would not even think of cramming cupcakes, chips and candy bars down my throat if 'IWantedItToo".

Get a life. Seriously. Troll is right. How pathetic.
  • Justjamie0418
    Justjamie0418 Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    I agree with whats been said.. Lean beef, chicken, fish, pork chops....I rinse any beef I cook. At work, bring enough and stay away from the machines. I dont eat ANYTHING fried...make homemade fries in the oven. Cut out full fat cheese and salad dressings, i eat whole wheat light bread. Egg whites. Lean lunch meat is also your friend. Its all about making the most of what you eat. When my family eats tacos...i dont use tortillas, i put it on a salad and use fat free cheese with salsa.
  • kountryedge
    Options
    My issue, not enough cal's... I eat once a day and then a snack. I just need some major exercise as I had back surgery. But off of that... But your issue is not to up and JUMP to grass and carrots... lol

Take what you normally ate and cut down on it... even take half of "THIS" that you used to eat and then turn the other half into something of sugar free jello with light peaches... something like that.

And don't go YUCK!!! :P But go into Walmart (or what grocery you prefer) and there is one of those 5lb cans of peaches. "Do you like peaches?" Well buy that up and 6 boxes of sugar free strawberry jello :) And I put 2 cups less of cold water. But it is a GREAT snack and it is actually very filling.

But I'm not starving... I ate a cheapy totino's pizza... But I have gain so much not only due to my back surgery, in which they are talking about doing another one. But because my exercise went from very mobile to just doing the necessities.

So I just signed a gym contract.... I hope this helps... DON'T starve yourself and DON'T eat nothing but cardboard. Just swap half... REWARD yourself, but do it HONESTLY...
  • lostinthe619
    Options
    YaQ6qVU.jpg