THE REAL REASONS I DON'T DO HEAVY WEIGHTS

Options

Replies

• nineteenstars
    nineteenstars Posts: 24 Member
    Options

OP - if you don't want to bulk, stay away from the steroids and lift as heavy as you want/can. You don't bulk when you're eating a caloric deficit and women have a very hard time bulking anyway because they have about 1/10 the testosterone of men. If you see a very muscular, bulky woman, chances are good that she's using a different kind of "supplements" than what you can buy at your local health food store.
  • AnabolicKyle
    AnabolicKyle Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    # 1 Muscle is not heavier than fat

# 2 You are already bulky- fat is bulky.

Lifting heavy weights will increase lean muscle mass and decrease fat.. making you look leaner, not bulky.. unless you have a super high testosterone level and your growing chest hair.. probably not gonna happen.

heav·y (hv)
    adj. heav·i·er, heav·i·est
    1. Having relatively great weight: a heavy load.
    2. Having relatively high density; having a high specific gravity.

read definition 2

muscle is indeed more dense aka heavier than fat
  • nekoxvampyx
    nekoxvampyx Posts: 163
    Options
    lol u wont get bulky if you lift heavy u dont have the testosterone levels for that. cardio will make u small but it wont give u the defined sexy body you want. u have to lift heavy if you wanna shape your body.
  • sz8soon
    sz8soon Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Or you could save that waste of a paragraph and say "muscle weighs more than fat" because it does.

I'd like to redirect you back to KoKo's post where she said she weighed 112 pounds- that girl is all muscle
    go ahead and look at my pictures- I weigh 195 pounds.. I don't have much muscle.

yeah..um.... my fat weighs waaay more than her muscle. oh that isn't what you meant? you meant pound for pound muscle weighs more? oh wait that doesn't make sense either. puh-lease you are speaking non-sense.

If you took the same volume of muscle, and compared it to the same volume of fat, the muscle would weigh more. An example might be: fill a pillow case with coins and another one the same size with feathers, and see which one is heavier. If you take a 1 ounce gold coin, and compare it to 1 ounce of feathers in size, the coin is a lot smaller. Muscle takes less room than fat.

With your 195 lbs you probably have more muscle mass than she does. You are carrying over 80 lbs more than she does for daily activity. Your body will require more muscle to do this. Overall she may be stronger, but you may still have more lean mass. She has just trained her muscle for lifting heavier weight than you have.

Totally missed my sarcasm.
  • diva_kate
    diva_kate Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Well you should probably lift some weights... so you can push that caps lock button down.

lol
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Or you could save that waste of a paragraph and say "muscle weighs more than fat" because it does.

I'd like to redirect you back to KoKo's post where she said she weighed 112 pounds- that girl is all muscle
    go ahead and look at my pictures- I weigh 195 pounds.. I don't have much muscle.

yeah..um.... my fat weighs waaay more than her muscle. oh that isn't what you meant? you meant pound for pound muscle weighs more? oh wait that doesn't make sense either. puh-lease you are speaking non-sense.

If you took the same volume of muscle, and compared it to the same volume of fat, the muscle would weigh more. An example might be: fill a pillow case with coins and another one the same size with feathers, and see which one is heavier. If you take a 1 ounce gold coin, and compare it to 1 ounce of feathers in size, the coin is a lot smaller. Muscle takes less room than fat.

With your 195 lbs you probably have more muscle mass than she does. You are carrying over 80 lbs more than she does for daily activity. Your body will require more muscle to do this. Overall she may be stronger, but you may still have more lean mass. She has just trained her muscle for lifting heavier weight than you have.

:laugh:
  • Barbellerella
    Barbellerella Posts: 1,838 Member
    Options
    Lifting heavy has been one of the best decisions of my life.. And over the last year I have gotten smaller and more definition. Not "bulky" ..

NOT TO MENTION ITS SO FUN!!

Would watch her life heavy things.
    Would let you watch
  • Mr_Excitement
    Mr_Excitement Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    You won't bulk up-- that's guaranteed. Even a man has to work very hard, and eat specifically for that goal, in order to put on a half pound of lean muscle in a month. Even with a big calorie surplus and training specifically to bulk, a woman is not going to even approach that. You won't bulk up.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    You won't bulk up-- that's guaranteed. Even a man has to work very hard, and eat specifically for that goal, in order to put on a half pound of lean muscle in a month. Even with a big calorie surplus and training specifically to bulk, a woman is not going to even approach that. You won't bulk up.

Everyone had great advice for you. I just want to throw my two-cents in too to be another person to reassure you: unless you are a genetic outlier, you will not bulk up (for all the reasons already discussed). We women just do not have the body chemistry to get bulky without serious outside assistance.

You can do this!
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options

:laugh:

Thanks for reminding me why I developed social phobias when I was younger.

People suck.

I'm going to crawl back into my shell, now.
  • koko12
    koko12 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I lift heavy weights and I'm size 2. Trust me, it will make you smaller, not bigger.

false. no jeans fit my quads. gotta get them tailored
    Crazy, we must be different.

just sayin it wont make you smaller 100% of the time. but if youre a bigger person. you'll get smaller
  • grantdumas7
    grantdumas7 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Someone saying they don't want to lift heavy weights because they are afraid they will get to big is like saying they don't want to work because they are afraid of becoming a millionaire.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Someone saying they don't want to lift heavy weights because they are afraid they will get to big is like saying they don't want to work because they are afraid of becoming a millionaire.

word
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Poyfect.
  • SwimFan1981
    SwimFan1981 Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options

:laugh: brilliant!
  • a_vettestingray
    a_vettestingray Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    <----Lifting as heavy as I possibly could for 10 months has gotten me this.
  • FattieBabs
    FattieBabs Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    As an older lady who has recently started working with weights I would really recommend it. The phrase lifting heavy is a bit misleading. You work with the maximum weights for you and gradually increase the weights over a period of time. You don't start by immediately picking something up which is going to cripple you! . I am a beginner so using dumbells and fitness ball very carefully! In a month I have gone from 2kg to 5kg dumbells and am learning form and technique. I started with the machines 3 months ago but found them restricting. I have achieved a slow steady weight loss of 1 pound a week but am fitter than I have been for around 10 years. Also lost inches and 22 pounds of weight so far.

I would really recommend having a go! I can't wait to start with the barbells and reckon it will take around a year for my body to really change but I am so looking forward to it. Many people here will help you. Good luck and happy lifting!
  • victorialkay
    Options
    why are you people so annoying. she was looking for inspiration and a boost up not to be beaten down and kicked. try a positive approach people.

I love this!! People are dumb, they enjoy putting others down so don't be too beat up about it!!

She's right tho', encourage her to lift and explain the benefits rather then basically saying 'deeeeerrrrrrrrr'. Sometimes people know that it's right but they just need some re-assurance and confidence in taking the next step and actually doing it!!

Get stuck in girl!! Just stick at it and the body you want is in sight!! Ignore the scales when your are adding muscle and do your measurements and measure your fat. xx:smooched:
    Way to represent your 'be positive' philosophy.

Why, spank you very much!!! Lol!! :devil:
  • iorahkwano
    iorahkwano Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Trust me, it's almost impossible for a woman to get bulky without steroids, testosterone & other supplements. Our bodies just cannot make huge biceps or pecs. If you look at Olympic female athletes, a lot of them are very strong (Definitely lift weights) but they are still slim & feminine.

I've been doing Strong Lifts 5x5 (5 sets of 5 reps) for 2 months, three times a week. I eat 2200-2400 calories a day & 120g protein. This is how strong I got in 2 months:

Deadlift 115lbs
    > 175lbs
    Squat 55lbs
    > 135lbs
    Barbell row 65lbs
    > 85lbs
    Overhead Press 55lbs ----> 80lbs
    Bench press 55lbs
    > 70lbs

And this is what I looked like yesterday. As you can see, even when flexing, I still do not look bulky/manly/huge/fat. In fact, I plan to diet a bit after this bulking process so I can see the muscles I built up under that tiny layer of fat (I am 22.44% body fat).

photo-14.jpg
  • FASTFUELXXX
    FASTFUELXXX Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I DNT UNDERSTAND Y PPL R SO WORRIED ABT CAPS LOCK. LET EM TYPE HOW DEY WANT. Y COMMENT ON DAT. DATZ NT Y WE ON HERE