Still think your 1200 or less diet is a good idea?

Options

Replies

• Katieloula
    Options
    I 'chronically under-ate' throughout high school. E.g. a normal day:

Bowl of Branflakes for brekkie

3 Pieces of Fruit for lunch

Tuna salad or stuffed pita or stuffed peppers or grilled chicken and veg

I maintained my weight (UK size 10) from age 13-18, even when I had to drop my workouts from 3x 1.5hr sessions at the gym per week to 2x 1 hour sessions via exercise dvd at home.

I went to Uni, literally ate CRAP - Mcdonalds, Subway, Carbs upon carbs upon carbs you name it. And I piled it on. I wasn't mature enough to make smart food decisions by myself.

Maybe it could work for me another way e.g. by eating 1750-1800 cals per day, but I also know the alternative DOES work and I CAN maintain it and still feel satisfied. I've been eating that way again for just over a week and have 1000 times more energy at work and am getting 100 times better sleep. I know that if I had 1800 cals a day to play with I would make the wrong choices.

But yeah, let the hostility begin, this forum has turned into a community of preachers and sarcastic school children.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options

I maintained my weight (UK size 10) from age 13-18, even when I had to drop my workouts from 3x 1.5hr sessions at the gym per week to 2x 1 hour sessions via exercise dvd at home.

I went to Uni, literally ate CRAP - Mcdonalds, Subway, Carbs upon carbs upon carbs you name it. And I piled it on. I wasn't mature enough to make smart food decisions by myself.

Maybe it could work for me another way e.g. by eating 1750-1800 cals per day, but I also know the alternative DOES work and I CAN maintain it and still feel satisfied. I've been eating that way again for just over a week and have 1000 times more energy at work and am getting 100 times better sleep. I know that if I had 1800 cals a day to play with I would make the wrong choices.

But yeah, let the hostility begin, this forum has turned into a community of preachers and sarcastic school children.

Ironically you probably fail to see that you are being what you've termed a "sarcastic school child" and/or "preacher" by responding in the way that you did. Why succumb to the temptation of name-calling?
  • Katieloula
    Options

Ironically you probably fail to see that you are being what you've termed a "sarcastic school child" and/or "preacher" by responding in the way that you did. Why succumb to the temptation of name-calling?

Because that's what these forums have turned into. People are plain out nasty to others who have chosen a different path. Get over it - do your thing and stop jumping on everyone or posting pointless threads that are pointing fingers at a population of MFP's members.
    Options

Because that's what these forums have turned into. People are plain out nasty to others who have chosen a different part. Get over it - do your thing and stop jumping on everyone or posting pointless threads pointing fingers at a population of MFP's members.

He wasn't pointing fingers, was he? last I checked he posted links to the very threads where people were eating 1200 calories and left it open for all the thread viewers to decide whether this approach is a good idea. Seems obvious from the COPIOUS NUMBER of threads on this very topic of "Why is 1200 calories and X hours of exercising not working?" that the answer is 1200 calories is not advisable for MOST PEOPLE. What's wrong with answering that question before yet another one of those threads is started?
  • Katieloula
    Options

Because that's what these forums have turned into. People are plain out nasty to others who have chosen a different part. Get over it - do your thing and stop jumping on everyone or posting pointless threads pointing fingers at a population of MFP's members.

He wasn't pointing fingers, was he? last I checked he posted links to the very threads where people were eating 1200 calories and left it open for all the thread viewers to decide whether this approach is a good idea. Seems obvious from the COPIOUS NUMBER of threads on this very topic of "Why is 1200 calories and X hours of exercising not working?" that the answer is 1200 calories is not advisable for MOST PEOPLE. What's wrong with answering that question before yet another one of those threads is started?

Because each thread like this turns into people JUMPING on others who DARE say something different. People need to back off other people's business here.
  • babydiego87
    babydiego87 Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    1200 90% of the time is fine for me. im a vegetarian so i eat lots of fruit and veg which keeps me satiated.

im sorry you have to eat lots to lose weight but care to get over the fact that it works for some people if you do it right? :flowerforyou: ttfn
    Sorry that we HAVE to eat lots??? Hmmm, I have a feeling most people on this site with a "-- lost" on their ticker love to eat in one way or another or they never would have gotten into that position, so how is enjoying 2000 cal of delicious food a negative thing?
    actually you're wrong. ive never had a huge appetite, i just ate the wrong things. but well done for your assumption
  • ashleab37
    ashleab37 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    1200 90% of the time is fine for me. im a vegetarian so i eat lots of fruit and veg which keeps me satiated.

im sorry you have to eat lots to lose weight but care to get over the fact that it works for some people if you do it right? :flowerforyou: ttfn
    Sorry that we HAVE to eat lots??? Hmmm, I have a feeling most people on this site with a "-- lost" on their ticker love to eat in one way or another or they never would have gotten into that position, so how is enjoying 2000 cal of delicious food a negative thing?
    actually you're wrong. ive never had a huge appetite, i just ate the wrong things. but well done for your assumption
    Actually I'm not wrong. I said most, not all. But well done for your comprehension skills.
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    There is a lot of hostility and angry words in this thread. I think that stems from people trying to apply a single principle to everyone. There are so VERY many variables when it comes to nutrition that you just can't do that. What works for one person may not work for others.

I know for a fact what works for me. I am 50 years old and know myself better than anyone.

That doesn't mean that what works for me will work for everyone else. To try to preach about what other people eat is ludicrous and unproductive. And actually sanctimonious.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    It worked for me. What works for some does not work for others. I wish people would understand that.
  • babydiego87
    Options
    There is a lot of hostility and angry words in this thread. I think that stems from people trying to apply a single principle to everyone. There are so VERY many variables when it comes to nutrition that you just can't do that. What works for one person may not work for others.

I know for a fact what works for me. I am 50 years old and know myself better than anyone.

That doesn't mean that what works for me will work for everyone else. To try to preach about what other people eat is ludicrous and unproductive. And actually sanctimonious.
    joker.gif
  • rovernio
    rovernio Posts: 157
    Options
    when dieting my deficit comes from working out i eat my maintenance calories
    Options
    Why do people get so bent out of shape when someone tells them that there's likely a BETTER way to arrive at their goals? I don't see why there's so much emotion tied to your decision to eat 1200 calories. Just like you think it's dumb that people care what other people are doing, don't you also think it's dumb that you care so much that people think your methods are unhealthy, ineffective, and unsustainable?
  • babydiego87
    Options
    Why do people get so bent out of shape when someone tells them that there's likely a BETTER way to arrive at their goals? I don't see why there's so much emotion tied to your decision to eat 1200 calories. Just like you think it's dumb that people care what other people are doing, don't you also think it's dumb that you care so much that people think your methods are unhealthy, ineffective, and unsustainable?
    actually i dont care.
    Options
    actually i dont care.

Doesn't sound like it.
  • purplekty
    purplekty Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    bump
  • grim_traveller
    grim_traveller Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    No, I still think it is a fantastic idea. I'm 6'3" tall, and for seven months have averaged 1,040 calories a day, under a doctor's and nutritionists' supervision. I couldn't be happier with the results.
    1) you had surgery to facilitate that.
    2) you were morbidly obese.

These two factors change the rules entirely.

Amazing work, by the way.

Thank you. But the point is, the rules differ for everyone. I tried lots of different ways to lose weight, and none of them worked, for me. With medical help and supervision, this has been wildly successful, and added years onto my life. I just don't like those that make blanket assertions about what others need to do, or not do.

Thanks for your understanding.
  • babydiego87
    Options
    actually i dont care.

Doesn't sound like it.
    im not hungry, and im losing 0.8 - 1lb every week apart from one. believe me, im fine :flowerforyou:
  • Katieloula
    Options

Why people care so much to constantly barrage people with different approaches that their is the 'wrong' one. Why not just leave people be?
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Works perfectly for me thank you very much and I know others it works for and we are NOT suffereing one little bit. You can spout and shout all you want but I've done this for a year had two very slow months(but still managed 10lbs each month) and I'm perfectly healthy and happy and happily still looseing. My loss tells my story without needing anything else to prove it works. But hey to each his own. I don't ***** cause you eat over 1200 so don't ***** because I eat under that. Being 413 lbs was way more dangerous for me than eating under 1200 calories ever could be. I'm not trying to be 80 lbs, I just want to be at a healthy weight and be a healthy Grandma. For the record I would never ever tell someone to eat the way I eat, I do what I do for me and me alone. Why do you feel the need to shove eating over 1200 down people throat. If they aren't looseing one 1200 or less it's because they are eating junk and not eating healthy foods. Crap I get so tired of this type of thread and it should be banned just like the eating under threads are banned.
    Options

Why people care so much to constantly barrage people with different approaches that their is the 'wrong' one. Why not just leave people be?

Because when you're in a community and you're invested in helping people reach their goals HEALTHILY then it's not really an option to sit idly while people starve themselves. I've been there, done that..I've also "barrage[d] people with different approaches" and every time they listen they thank me for having done so. So, I'll continue caring and NOT leaving people be.