Has Anyone Succesfully Eliminated Cellulite?

Options
I'm at the point where but body is just about the size I want. It still needs a little tightening in places, but I'm not worried about that - I got a bit off track over the holidays and have only been back on a stricter diet/workout plan for 2 or 3 weeks or so, so I'm pretty happy with how I look after taking that into account.

One thing that constantly plagues me is cellulite!!

I cracked it this weekend and have declared war on cellulite! So far I am eating lots of fruit and veg, adding more nuts, trying to drink lots more water (its all I drink but probably not enough) and started drinking some green tea (never been a fan but found a peppermint one I like). Also trying to cut down on salt, and bad fats - although I still have chocolate when it fits in my cals, and a couple of cheat meals a week.
I'm eatinng at maintenance as I don't really want to lose more weight, but should I be cutting until it's gone?

Workout wise I lift at the gym 3 x week, run 2 x and Ripped in 30 video 1 or 2 x week.

I am also trying to moisturise the area more regularly. What else can I do?

I know I need to give it some more time for all of this to kick in, but starting to feel a bit depressed and wondering if it will only ever dissapear if I eat like a 100% clean rabbit!!

Replies

• CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,097 Member
    Options
    Interested to hear the responses of people losing REAL cellulite.
  • Guisma
    Guisma Posts: 215
    Options
    me 2
  • jdad1
    jdad1 Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    pictures.....i like to see pictures.................:flowerforyou:
  • LauriePar
    LauriePar Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I would also like to see some tips on this very frustrating subject!
  • AngelsheriHackley
    AngelsheriHackley Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    not completely but i have been using nevea for a week and i see a difference already
  • BonnieFife
    BonnieFife Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Its a nightmare, ive noticed a big difference in myself recently ~ i havnt reached my weight goal yet but noticed a difference in that dimpled look. I workout 7 days a week weekdays for 35 mins & weekends for 45mins. I do Jillian Michaels banish fat & boost metabolism, but i started out back in Feb doing the 30 Day Shred. What a difference to my thighs and butt (the worst areas) as well as watching what i eat. So im thinking it needs a combination of Cardio to blast the fat & strength training (like in the 30 Day Shred) to get you on your way. Also sounds crazy but if your not eating enough fat in your diet your body will store any fat that you eat ~ basically going into starvation mode ~ you need fat/carbs to keep the body going for it to burn it off.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Cellulite is the NORMAL way women's bodies look--just about every single woman on the planet has some. If there were a way to get rid of it, don't you think celebrities like Scarlett Johannson wouldn't have any?

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=scarlett+johansson+cellulite+photos&bav=on.2,or.r_cp.&bvm=bv.43287494,d.aWc&biw=1280&bih=800&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=9Hk8UaDbCaagywHo5oCAAQ

It's the beauty industry and photoshopped pictures that have made us hate the way we naturally look.
  • ninjakowski
    ninjakowski Posts: 158
    Options
    Cellulite is the NORMAL way women's bodies look--just about every single woman on the planet has some. If there were a way to get rid of it, don't you think celebrities like Scarlett Johannson wouldn't have any?

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=scarlett+johansson+cellulite+photos&bav=on.2,or.r_cp.&bvm=bv.43287494,d.aWc&biw=1280&bih=800&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=9Hk8UaDbCaagywHo5oCAAQ

It's the beauty industry and photoshopped pictures that have made us hate the way we naturally look.

I think thats a bit of a cop-out. Its obvious in those photos that she is not sticking to a serious diet/workout plan. Why shouldn't I aim for better than that, just because she currently isn't?
  • vcancel
    vcancel Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Nivea Q10 Body Firming Lotion. It comes in a big pump bottle. In two weeks you should see a difference. I swear by this stuff.

:heart:
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Building LOTS of sexy muscle and lowering my overall body fat percentage has dramatically improved the look of the cellulite on my legs and booty. But "eliminated"? No. Doesn't eliminating it completely require liposuction?
  • BonnieFife
    BonnieFife Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    You can eliminate cellulite but once its there its very hard to keep at bay, cellulite is just accumulated fat deposits that have managed to break through your body's weakened conective tissue towards the outer layer of the skin, the more body fat you have the more likely it is going to push through.....Women & men differ in the way that a womens body tends to hold on to more fat than a mans & it accumulates on hips, thighs buttocks etc, Men always usually put weight on around the middle oh genes also come into it but thats a whole other story. So cardio & strength training is the only way you are going to see a difference.
  • michcor
    michcor Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I haven't done it consistently, but I know people who swear by body-brushing. I really should stick with it, because regardless of whether it gets rid of cellulite, it always makes my skin feel amazing.
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    Nope and neither have these women:

Pippa Middleton
    pippa-middleton-cellulite_-_1.jpg?w=400

Beyonce
    beyonce-cellulite.jpg?w=397

Petra Nemcova
    petra-nemcova-cellulite.jpg?w=328

Christina Aguilera
    christina-aguilera-cellulite.jpg?w=371

Alicia Keys
    alicia-keys-cellulite.jpg?w=400

Jennifer Lopez
    jennifer-lopez-cellulite.jpg?w=400

Lagy Gaga
    lady-gaga-cellulite.jpg?w=400

Maria Menounos
    maria-menounos-cellulite.jpg?w=400

Eva Longoria
    eva-longoria-bikini-cellulite_-_1.jpg?w=400

Halle Berry
    halle-berry-bikini-cellulite.jpg?w=400

Sarah Hyland
    sarah-hyland-bikini-cellulite.jpg?w=400

Serena Williams
    serena-williams-bikini-cellulite.jpg?w=400

The only thing that completely eliminates cellulite is a computer.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    ^^yep. You can improve it by losing body fat and strength training, but a lot of it comes down to genetics.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    When I went down to 88 pounds after eliminating meat (just curious to see if how long I could do it. Answer: two years.) all my cellulite disappeared.

I hear that some creams with caffeine can produce a temporary effect.
  • x3na1401
    x3na1401 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I had it in January. It's gone now :)

I was at a spa for my birthday and my partner noticed cellulite on my bum when in my cozzy. After some serious needling from her I realised it was time to cut back in the crap food and return to my healthy eating ways.

I am a vegetarian but over Xmas I had started eating loads of junk. Chocolate, pizza, Chinese, lots of cheese, butter, crisps, chips, anything and everything unhealthy.

Since the end of January I started doing 5:2 and that made me think about what I ate. It made me plan meals and weigh ingredients and most importantly, write it down.

I found that by using the food diary on here I could create fresh, balanced meals so easily that there is no excuse to eat packaged crap.

I also am active, but increased my exercise levels to include jillian michaels 30 day shred, 30 mins on elliptical or football with my gorgeous doggies.

It's been 7 weeks and I have lost 10 lbs and am well on my way to my goal (6 pack abs), with no cellulite in sight.
  • raychill007
    raychill007 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options

I think thats a bit of a cop-out. Its obvious in those photos that she is not sticking to a serious diet/workout plan. Why shouldn't I aim for better than that, just because she currently isn't?

No. That woman works out (and is flipping gorgeous, with or without cellulite). Something on the order of 80-90% of women have it. It's related to age and to genetics to a certain extent. Lots of women who work out like demons still have it.

Strength training and lowering your BF% can help, but even its ability to get rid of it is very limited (as Sara said). Better bet is stop freaking about cellulite and just work to improve your body composition and fitness levels. If it is diminished through diet and strength training necessary to achieve those goals, all the better.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    http://www.bodyrock.tv/2009/08/14/the-truth-about-cellulite/
    Ah, cellulite. The scourge and plague of women (and men) everywhere. This dreaded condition is so feared, so hated, and so despised that every major cosmetic and phramaceutical company has managed to make nothing short of several hundred million dollars selling various cellulite treatment creams and products.

Pharmacies are overloaded with larger-than-life cardboard displays, obnoxiously broadcasting smooth, supple thighs and taut rear ends, free of the dreaded bumps and divots that herald the onset of that awful word —cellulite, sounding like a strange futuristic product nobody wants and needs, reminding us of a jiggly, jello-like substance that creeps up and attaches to the legs and body, like some kind of alien visitor of unknown origin.

WHAT IS CELLULITE?

Dramatics aside, just what is cellulite, anyway? It’s something that happens naturally, and has nothing to do with whether you are skinny or not. After puberty, your skin cells change. Due to complicated hormonal factors that have not yet been fully understood by science, various things happen to fat buildups under the skin, and this can create cellulite.

Look at wikipedia’s description, cited from multiple sources: “the causes are poorly understood, and may involve changes in metabolism and physiology such as gender specific dimorphic skin architecture, alteration of connective tissue structure, vascular changes and inflammatory processes.”

And hormones contribute to all of this, but again, there is no scientific consensus suggesting that one hormone is entirely responsible for the formation of it.

In other words: it can — and probably will — happen to anyone. So what can we do about it?

WHY THE CREAMS DON’T WORK.

Here are three fundamental points that you need to remember, the next time you see an advertisement for a cellulite treatment:

Number One: There are no published reports in the scientific literature showing that any cellulite therapies work.

Number Two: In an interview with the New York Times, Dr. Molly Wanner, an instructor in dermatology at Harvard Medical School and an author of a 2008 evidence-based review of existing treatments, asserted, “At this point, there is no outstanding treatment for cellulite.”

Number Three: Dr. Michael F. McGuire, a clinical associate professor at the David Geffen School of Medicine at the University of California, Los Angeles, confirmed that “realistically there is no cure for cellulite.”

Really? So all those creams are a scam? It can’t be true — dozens of fancy companies are selling more and more expensive creams that really do promise to get rid of cellulite! How could they possibly be scams? Wouldn’t the government have shut them down by now?

Here’s why: those creams do work, for a couple of days at the very most, but probably just a few irritating hours. They cause your skin to tingle extensively and tighten up superficially, which temporarily reduces the appearance of cellulite. Then they wear off. That’s it.

But what about all those claims that the creams attack the underlying causes of cellulite, the fat structure, the skin cells? Nope. Like any cream, they are absorbed into the layers of your epidermis, and that’s it. They don’t go to work on your fat cells, changing and altering the way your skin is structured. That is 100% junk science, but it’s amazing how often the claim is made. What feels like a tingling sensation is just that, and nothing else.

No cream, no pill, no complicated deep massage technique is going to get rid of your cellulite. There is no cure for it.

However, there are things you can do in order to reduce those underlying factors that cause cellulite. You guessed it — exercise and a rational, healthy diet!

THE ONE AND ONLY WAY TO COMBAT CELLULITE.

That’s right: there is only one real way to combat cellulite, and we highlighted it in this article right here. You need to exercise, to reduce the amount of fat on your body, and to build lean muscle (oh, and to do that, you also need to eat right, too).

Here’s the thing: you’ve probably heard that there’s no way to ‘choose’ where your body is going to lose fat from. This is partially true: if you do cardio, and do it specifically for fat loss, it is pretty much random as to where that fat might melt away first.

But when you add in weight training, and when you begin to build your lean muscle, you are targeting specific areas on your body. These will tighten up the more you work them out, and are the only real way to work specific zones that you want to improve.

With cellulite, it’s the same thing: even ‘super-skinny’ people have fat on their bodies (as we all do), and are at risk for developing cellulite like anyone else. Just because someone is super-skinny doesn’t mean they’ve got any lean muscle built up. The fat cells could just be minimized, almost-invisible, because the overall body weight is rather low. But trust us — they’re still there, and still susceptible to cellulite.

No matter what your weight might be, don’t be swayed by expensive creams, special treatments, and complicated massage. And don’t think you need a crash diet and 4 hours of cardio per day in order to lose it either: if you can somehow survive on a program like that, the cellulite will still be there at the end of it.

Instead, start concentrating on routines like our Butt and Abs workout, or our Lower Body Workout, and integrate weightlifting into your exercise as soon as you can. Lean muscle is the #1 way to combat cellulite, and the more time you spend on that (and less on ineffectual treatments), the more amazing results you’ll see.
  • yourenotmine
    yourenotmine Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    It's just fat, under your skin. I don't really have cellulite and never really have, despite being fat, because of genetics. I know it's annoying, and I'm sorry you think it's a cop-out, but sometimes it's also good to be aware that some things just aren't up to you. Do the best you can, work hard, and feel good about being you. :)