Online Dating: The way to go or just plain desperate?

Options

Replies

• Thena81
    Thena81 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    one of my closest girlfriends found her fiancee online. it does work!!
  • christina0089
    christina0089 Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    I met my fiance through a mutual friend. We all played an online mmo and she introduced us one day and from there we talked as friends for a few months. He eventually came to see me and decided to relocate to my home town to be with me. I would have never thought it would happen that way but here we are almost 3 years together and planning a wedding. :)
  • mitchellkd
    mitchellkd Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    My husband and I met on match. Been married 4 years now, together 8. I have other friends who met on match are are married with kids. It's just another way to meet people.
  • eb12112
    eb12112 Posts: 39
    Options
    I was on match.com years ago and that's how i met my husband!!! we got married this past dec!
  • RVfrog
    RVfrog Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I did yahoo..........and boy did I meet a bunch of losers........then I got lucky and met my husband as of today. That was 9 yrs ago. So there is hope.....but you will find alot of losers first as with any site. Good luck
  • BlueObsidian
    BlueObsidian Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I see a good tool in online dating, but it has it's drawbacks.

You will only get a certain dose of someone. Look at all the pics on our site here. We only pick the ones that we like. In person, you get the whole story, good side, bad side, embarrassment, confidence, etc.

You only get a certain dose of someone when you meet them in real life, too. Sure, you can't really hide what you look like, but people meeting for the first time or going on a first date tend to put their best foot forward. People have social masks that they wear and it takes time to get to know the whole story.
  • Marcellus_08
    Options
    I met my husband on a chat site when I was 15 (I'm now almost 24). He lived in Arkansas and I lived in Utah but somehow it just worked for us. This year it will be our fifth year being married so I would say online dating totally works.
  • Junken_Diraffe
    Junken_Diraffe Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I met my guy online. Here. We were friends for close to a year or so before we ever became anything more than just online friends. Situations changed for both of us and we live relatively close together, so we decided to meet for dinner one night. It was the best first date I've ever had. Everything since then has been the best I've ever had. :love:
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    I met my guy online. Here. We were friends for close to a year or so before we ever became anything more than just online friends. Situations changed for both of us and we live relatively close together, so we decided to meet for dinner one night. It was the best first date I've ever had. Everything since then has been the best I've ever had. :love:

Get a room you two...
  • JasonAxelrod
    JasonAxelrod Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    My first relationship, which lasted four years, began online and continued long-distance for four years. Sounds doomed from the start, right? It probably was. And while there are still a lot of negative emotions and things I'm still struggling to come to terms with and accept, I will always stand by the reality of my feelings in the incredibly sloppy and unorthodox mechanics how I have no clue lasted that long. But when people share a genuine connection, the avenue through which they meet, all on its own, does not define whether someone is desperate or not. There are many people who have met online, who have had incredibly lengthy long-distance relationships, and who have managed to create wonderful lives together. Calling the entire endeavor pathetic or desperate or silly or unrealistic is a ridiculous presumption to make and I personally found it very offensive when people laughed at me when I first came out and told my friends and family that I had a girlfriend across the country. The stigma around this has gone down considerably, but it still exists and it still sucks.

As terribly as we both handled our relationship, and though we've gone our separate ways, at least for a part of those four years I managed to share an unbelievably strong friendship—and for a while, a romance—with the first person I allowed myself to be completely open with. That alone was a big step for me in the context of my own life, and as much as I sometimes wish I never bothered with any of it, that personal development is what makes it all okay.

All of that said and in spite of my support for this, it would take a hell of a lot to get me to even consider something like non-local, online dating or long-distance ever again.
  • dward2011
    dward2011 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I met my husband on OKcupid. It's free and like facebook for single people. It didn't feel desperate at all to me at the time. I think online dating is becoming more and more popular. I did have to meet a lot of people before I met my husband... but I gotta tell you... he's amazing and I'm really happy with him... so in short... no. Online dating doesn't seem desperate to me and I feel it's a very effective way to meet a life partner or even to just meet people to date.

I met my husband on OKcupid, too! I mean, you do have to actually meet the people you connect with online, but if I hadn't used online dating I never would have found him. I liked the more casual vibe on OKC, too. Go ahead and give it a shot, it's just one more way of meeting people!

I met my husband on OkCupid too girls!! We never would have met otherwise. :)
  • MM_1982
    MM_1982 Posts: 374
    Options
    Anyone have any experience with cougarlife.com? I need to meet a rich sugarmama! :laugh:
  • TeenTwinkleToes
    TeenTwinkleToes Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Haha well it seems to be the way to go in my family. Two of my cousins met their wifes (one just seperated after ten years) online. My mom met her fiancé online!! And well I met my boyfriend of 3 years online (Craigslist to be exact). I don't think it's a desperate act. Sometimes you got to search the seas not just the ponds that you swim in daily. If you catch my drift lol anyway my boyfriend was my penal for almost 4 months before we met lol
  • fitplease
    fitplease Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    I met a guy who stalked me once. Thankfully, it was short-lived.

I have met some nice couples that met on eHarmony or some other dating site. They will tell you there is a lot to weed through. If you have the patience, you can go that route. Otherwise, why not get involved in activities that you like where you can meet people to date....tell everyone you know that you are looking to meet someone. Some folks meet through their friends.

Remember though, online, people can hide all sorts of things. Not everyone does though. It is tricky to figure out who those people are.
  • cloveraz
    cloveraz Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Met my husband on MATCH.com , we will be married seven years in June...
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    Sersly, I 'd rather tell my future children I met their father online than drunk in a bar. Online dating is fun, I never have too do my hair or put clothes on.. hahahahha, I am much more approachable when Im not confronted with having too "show up, all dolled up" when Im out with friends, I cant concentrate on picking up men, cuz my Girrrrrls are so amazing, we have way too much fun w/each other too care about the men. I find it too be more relaxing too sit and chat online listening too music and gettn all silly and cute. Plus the upside of this is that we didn't bang on the first date. hahahahaha
  • theCarlton
    theCarlton Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    I've met people from online and dated them, but I haven't had a lot of success finding people on actual dating sites. I've tried in the past because I really do prefer a good intellectual connection first if it's possible.

I find that most sites, no matter how well intended its creation is for long-term relationships, still seem like a meat market. And the ones who are genuinely looking for a relationship - I've found every single man I've talked to or dated to be horribly scarred from their previous relationships. Some women are wonderful at being sensitive about that sort of thing, but I'm not. I can't deal with the emotional ups and downs of that.

So, yeah - some people are really desperate because they're lonely or hurting. I'm ok with being alone or dating sporadically now and then. I joined Meetup and signed up for interest and activities groups like fishing, kayaking, debating, atheism and I hope it will keep me surrounded by people who have things in common with me and are out there living life too. Better alternative to dating websites, I think.
  • mommycordillia
    Options
    I've been on POF for 6 months or so, and so far, nada....I joined it around the time I moved to where I am now and outside of work I don't do anything, or go anywhere except the gym and walmart. So I thought It'd be an okay route to go to meet guys since I don't get out much...but...no...I've had countless guys that just want a one night stand, there have been many druggies and straight forward players, and then there were a few that seemed like really nice guys and would say hellp but then go no further, and then all the guys I found attractive or liked what I read in their 'about me's. would never reply to me or say they weren't interested....so I've pretty much given up... I know lots of people have found their true loves on dating sites but I'm not one of them...

forever alone.
  • miamoe15
    miamoe15 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I've been on Match.com and met my last boyfriend on there. It didn't work out, but I'm back at it again. This time on POF. I just moved to Hawaii not too long ago so I don't really know many people either. I figure at worst if I don't find a romantic connection with someone, maybe I can land myself a new friend. So far I've gone out with one guy, three times so far, and it hasn't been terrible. But we will see. Best of luck to you in your search for love.
  • Jennwith2ns
    Jennwith2ns Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Met my husband of almost 13 years online, but not a dating site. It was back in 1999 when chat rooms were the thing to do. It was a local chat room. That was what - like 14 years ago? I don't think it's desperate :)