Still think your 1200 or less diet is a good idea?

Options

Replies

• Karabobarra
    Karabobarra Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Love this...TIA!
  • Sweet_Gurl_Next_Door
    Sweet_Gurl_Next_Door Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    I eat 1400 calories and lost 68 pounds. I am very healthy in fact I signed up to take a 10 day pledge to cut out processed food which I start on the 13th. we don't know the people who are eating 1200 calories and we are not in their shoes. we don't know there situation, what medical issues they have etc. so we really have no right to judge them.
  • Sunny____
    Sunny____ Posts: 214
    Options
    I just really don't understand what is wrong with 1200 calories a day. If you are 5'1 and a female and weigh 120 then 1200 is perfect even with workouts. If you are eating correctly then you can eat more food than most ppl bc there is very little calories in veggies and fruits. A whole head of cauliflower is something like under 60 calories.

If you are a man 6'4 and play basketball 5 nights a week then 1200 is not good for you.

This thread is assuming that EVERYONE is the same body type, body weight and has the same goals. If you want to lose then you make a deficit and if 1200 calories is what calculates to work for you then that is what works for you.

I wanted to lose weight for a trip to Jamaica so I ate 1,000 to 1100 a day and lost 20 lbs. I worked out daily.

last night half of you here were arguing that it is about calories in and calories out in the "is bread fattening thread". What happened to that theory? If you aren't burning, you need to cut what you eat and reduce calories.

More so though it is about WHAT you eat vs how much. So many do not understand that concept though. So many mislead people.

I'm shorter and lighter than you mentioned--eating 2000 (minimum) and certain that I'd die on 1200 calories given my activity level. If you're working out effectively then it is absolutely false that "If you are 5'1 and a female and weigh 120 then 1200 is perfect even with workouts." Perfect? For what goal exactly? To lose all of your muscle mass? Develop an eating disorder? Become a binge eater? Lose your periods? What would be the ultimate outcome of this 120 pound 5'1 female eating 1200 calories while working out?
    There are MANY factors, which is my point. It works for some, but not for others. If you are lifting heavy, you best up your calories - 2000 sounds good to me. My point was that it is IMPOSSIBLE for OP or any of you to get on here and assume 1200 is too low for every single person on the planet. That is what I find to be very silly to say or assume.

I adjust my calories according to what I am doing. If I want to maintain I am shooting for one calorie intake goal.

If I want to lose, it is another intake caloric goal.

If I am lifting it is another.

If I am pregnant, it is another.

If I am bed ridden it is another.

When I was 20, it was another.

Now that I am in my 40s, it is another.

I eat so many fruits and veggies that I eat a table full of food and can barely get past 700 calories and am stuffed. I am now having to eat more meat and nuts to get up to 1200. Dang weight keeps falling off on this plan too. And being that I need to lose 54 more lbs. I can't stop shooting for 1200 calories bc it effing WORKS for me. And I have so much energy that I have never experienced this before or rather not in over a decade. What t am I doing wrong?
  • rm7161
    rm7161 Posts: 505
    Options
    oh, speaking of bikini girls on 1200 cals.

its been a while since CaliforniaGirl has posted, but she's been an advocate for a good long while.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/californiagirl2012
  • pucenavel
    pucenavel Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8, male, 43 years old.

I'm somewhat athletic in that I work out 60 minutes or more 3-4 times a week, at least one of those workouts is around 2 hours.

I also strength train 3 times a week.

I eat very only a limited amount of dairy products - yogurt mostly, sometimes a little milk.

I eat red meat only once a week; Fish twice a week and lots of chicken. I'm even known to eat vegetarian meals several times a week.

Common snacks include fresh vegetables, peanuts, fruit. I try to eat more vegetables than pasta, rice or bread.

In other words, my diet is increased protein, low sugar, reduced carbs, fairly clean.

I eat back all of my exercise calories - all of them, not half. In general, I pre-fuel. That is, I know when and what my workouts will be and eat the necessary calories to fuel the work beforehand.

I've been on MFP for about a year and a half, logging almost that entire time.

My current BMI is 22.8 & my body fat is probably about 14-15%.

As a triathlete, I am really working to get rid of my small remaining gut and "love handles" because that 5-10 lbs can make a serious difference on long distance races.

MFP says I should be eating 1940 NET calories a day.

The last time I was on maintenance, I followed that and gained 2 lbs a week until I figured out that didn't work for me so I started paying attention to the numbers and experimenting.

From that experience, I have discovered that 1500 NET is the intake I need in order to maintain. At 1750, I gain a pound a week.

So, Mr. Smart-Man, what do you suggest I do if I want to lose that last 5-10 lbs?
  • Sunny____
    Options

its been a while since CaliforniaGirl has posted, but she's been an advocate for a good long while.

Girl, you summed this up perfectly. You have shown with example that 1200 calories CAN WORK. Not everyone is the same, thank you for posting. Pictures don't lie. Her diary is public.

IMO - ENOUGH SAID!
  • KendraElmendorf
    KendraElmendorf Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    tumblr_lstx9wFDGk1r3oc7fo1_400.gif
  • pucenavel
    pucenavel Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    What t am I doing wrong?

Nothing, Sunny, nothing.

You are listening to your body and not the statistical norms spouted by others.
  • Sunny____
    Options
    What t am I doing wrong?

Nothing, Sunny, nothing.

You are listening to your body and not the statistical norms spouted by others.
    Thank you!
  • TheGnomeQueen
    Options
    I've actually been doing quite well with this calorie amount. I lost 2.5 lbs in the first week! It really depends on the individual. I'm not sure why you care how many calories other people eat to be successful at weight loss?
  • rodow
    rodow Posts: 26
    Options
    Bump
  • Trilby16
    Trilby16 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I've actually been doing quite well with this calorie amount. I lost 2.5 lbs in the first week! It really depends on the individual. I'm not sure why you care how many calories other people eat to be successful at weight loss?

^^THIS!^^
  • j_masher
    j_masher Posts: 18 Member
    Options

Thanks for posting this. I had not been active on MFP for months and when I returned I did not see Bobbie posting. I am 43 and the tiniest of frames, so I liked seeing someone of similar build get rocked like that. Maybe in 10 yrs I can be there. lol
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options

yep. that's normal. eventually the loss will plateau.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    I just really don't understand what is wrong with 1200 calories a day. If you are 5'1 and a female and weigh 120 then 1200 is perfect even with workouts. If you are eating correctly then you can eat more food than most ppl bc there is very little calories in veggies and fruits. A whole head of cauliflower is something like under 60 calories.

If you are a man 6'4 and play basketball 5 nights a week then 1200 is not good for you.

This thread is assuming that EVERYONE is the same body type, body weight and has the same goals. If you want to lose then you make a deficit and if 1200 calories is what calculates to work for you then that is what works for you.

I wanted to lose weight for a trip to Jamaica so I ate 1,000 to 1100 a day and lost 20 lbs. I worked out daily.

last night half of you here were arguing that it is about calories in and calories out in the "is bread fattening thread". What happened to that theory? If you aren't burning, you need to cut what you eat and reduce calories.

More so though it is about WHAT you eat vs how much. So many do not understand that concept though. So many mislead people.

I'm shorter and lighter than you mentioned--eating 2000 (minimum) and certain that I'd die on 1200 calories given my activity level. If you're working out effectively then it is absolutely false that "If you are 5'1 and a female and weigh 120 then 1200 is perfect even with workouts." Perfect? For what goal exactly? To lose all of your muscle mass? Develop an eating disorder? Become a binge eater? Lose your periods? What would be the ultimate outcome of this 120 pound 5'1 female eating 1200 calories while working out?
    There are MANY factors, which is my point. It works for some, but not for others. If you are lifting heavy, you best up your calories - 2000 sounds good to me. My point was that it is IMPOSSIBLE for OP or any of you to get on here and assume 1200 is too low for every single person on the planet. That is what I find to be very silly to say or assume.

I adjust my calories according to what I am doing. If I want to maintain I am shooting for one calorie intake goal.

I eat so many fruits and veggies that I eat a table full of food and can barely get past 700 calories and am stuffed. I am now having to eat more meat and nuts to get up to 1200. Dang weight keeps falling off on this plan too. And being that I need to lose 54 more lbs. I can't stop shooting for 1200 calories bc it effing WORKS for me. And I have so much energy that I have never experienced this before or rather not in over a decade. What t am I doing wrong?

you said that 1200 is "perfect" even if exercising--I simply said that's just not true. It's not PERFECT for more people than not--especially those who exercise. So, you've contradicted yourself by bringing weight lifting into the equation--you said perfect EVEN IF exercising. Thank you for changing your perspective, it makes much more sense now. So, maybe IT'S PERFECT if bedridden, I'll give you that.
  • Sunny____
    Options

And then what? You change your calories to an increase . . .correct? I am at 1200 now, but when I platue, I need to eat more food . . .is that right?
  • TheGnomeQueen
    Options

If that happens I will adjust accordingly, but right now I am sticking to what is working for me.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options

And then what? You change your calories to an increase . . .correct? I am at 1200 now, but when I platue, I need to eat more food . . .is that right?

Well, that's your only real option unless you want to eat 1000 calories or exercise more or just be stuck. That's why eating more in the first place works out so well--then you could simply decrease your calories by 125-250 and start losing again.
  • lyndalpn
    lyndalpn Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    So.... I read ten pages of this last night, went to bed, slept for 8 hours, went for a run, came back and you guys are still banging on about this? Quit trolling and go lift heavy **** or whatever it is that you do when you're not arguing with random people on the internet.

My summary

1.Some people who are slim, short, old, have medical problems or other exceptional circumstances may need to eat 1200 a day to lose weight, are doing so and are doing fine. (I am one of these people FWIW)
    2.Some people who are none of those things (and some who are) COULD be eating heaps more, lifiting heavy, losing weight and doing fine. And many are.
    3. Lots of people are lost in the middle - probably should be doing what the second group say but instead are doing what the first group do despite 400,000 threads telling them to rethink their decision, this has degenrated into 20 pages of argument about why each group is wrong? Is that it?

Have fun klds. I'm going to pack my lunch and go to work :)
  • Sunny____
    Options

you said that 1200 is "perfect" even if exercising--I simply said that's just not true. It's not PERFECT for more people than not--especially those who exercise. So, you've contradicted yourself by bringing weight lifting into the equation--you said perfect EVEN IF exercising. Thank you for changing your perspective, it makes much more sense now. So, maybe IT'S PERFECT if bedridden, I'll give you that.
    I am sorry how YOU interpreted my writing. I didn't mean it the way you took it originally and I am glad that you NOW understand my meaning. It works for me RIGHT NOW. I do exercise. I am not lifting. I am going to take up lifting in April and will eat more food then to build my muscle. It is just that this thread was really silly in saying that "1200 calories doesn't work". Sometimes it DOES work, it doesn't work for everyone and it isn't a forever thing for some. But did you see Californiagirls2012's diary, pics and body? Someone posted the link. It works for her and she obviously lifts.