My boyfriend doesn't like the body I am trying to get

Options

Replies

• BrieLP
    BrieLP Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    yeah I know what you are feeling. I have the same questions when it comes to my husband. When he talks about my little sister (and I mean that in every way, she's younger than me, skinner than me, and even a little shorter than me) he doesn't find her attractive, which is good because well he's my husband. and although i never want to be her size (she's almost 23 and is less than 100lbs) I feel he won't find me sexy when I hit my goal weight. He's a boob man and since we've been together I've lost 2 cup sizes and he's sad he is "losing his boobies" so it scares me that he will not find me attractive anymore. He says that won't be an issue the issue will be will i still find him attractive when i am smaller. pff as if :wink:
  • staceymoyer1
    staceymoyer1 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    You just look how you want it will make you more confident which is always sexy

Agreed!
  • Iron_Duchess
    Iron_Duchess Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Don't you love men? When you want them to state their opinion they don't say anything, and when you want them to mind their own business they can't keep their mouths shut. *Sight*

Why would you even discuss it with him? Don’t even pay attention to it, be healthy, happy, and comfortable with yourself, everything else will fall into place.
  • SassyClassyandALittleBadAssy
    Options
    I hate to say this about my baby, but he is a chunky guy and I secretly think that part of it is that he may be intimidated by the body I want to have. But if that's part of it he would NEVER admit that to me. And if it is, there's NO reason for him to feel that way.

I actually showed the guy i'm seeing a pic of what I want to achieve this weekend (he's a big guy too - 6'3" - 320lbs) he made a snarky comment about me just wanting other guys to notice me. When i asked him if he'd feel good knowing that all those guys would be jealous of him, because he gets to go home with me, he just smiled and said "Well yea, but I guess that means I have to lose weight too now" It sparked a good, long conversation about getting healthy together. Good luck! Like the others are saying- make sure you do this for you! Even if my guy hadn't supported me, i would still be on that path to what i want- because in the end YOU are the only one who matters :smile:
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Take it from an older woman: realistically, you're going to have your body a lot longer than you're going to have this boyfriend. If I'm wrong and he's a keeper, he'll love you even if your body changes. If he's not, you'll have the body you want and time to find a boyfriend who loves it as much as you do. Win win.

Exactly this!!
  • MeIShouldB
    MeIShouldB Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Is it possible that he thinks as you tone and become the women you want to be that he may not be the man you want anymore??

Part of me thinks that may have something to do with it.
  • RamaOtster
    Options
    While its nice to have his opinion and all you have to work for what YOU want to look like. Don't please him by doing what he wants, it's your body. You have an idea of what you want to be like it sounds like. I'm sure once you get to your goal he will change his mind;) good luck!!

Yep this. And if he doesn't want you to be healthy and happy do you really want to be with him?
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Is it possible that he thinks as you tone and become the women you want to be that he may not be the man you want anymore??

Part of me thinks that may have something to do with it.

If you think this may be the reason sit down with him and talk to him. See if he has any concerns. Explain to him the reasons why you are trying to better yourself. Sometimes people think that their partner may leave for someone better when they are working on losing weight, building muscle, or whatever health quest someone is on.

This seems to be a common thing with both men and women. However, unfortuantely sometimes people are only attracted to a certain look of someone. His issue is something you need to find out so you can either help him get over whatever issue he has or you can re-evaluate your relationship now instead of a few months or years down the road.
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    My husband says he would love me if I was large or thin...BUT then says he doesn't want me to get as thin as I was when we first got married. My wedding gown was a size 6 and still needed to be taken in a couple inches. He thought I was miserable and cranky all the time and didn't eat much. AND he will point to women who weight lift and say please don't ever get like that yuck! I think he would love me no matter what. He just says some silly things now and then. We've been married over 20 years and my weight as well as his has been up and down. It really doesn't matter. When I was heavy he made cute comments about how soft I was but in a nice way. When I was skinny he made cute comments about how delicate I looked and called me his doll baby. Just go with it as it comes..and goes. If he is turned off by the way you look then sad to say he really didn't love you anyway. I hope I explained this well enough.
  • Ed98043
    Ed98043 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    Sometimes it's best just to "cross that bridge when you get to it". You may look different from the photo at that body fat, you may never get there at all, he may find that he likes that look when he sees it on you, or he may not be a part of your life for other reasons when you get there. Too many variables to spend the time and energy worrying about it now.
  • petstorekitty
    petstorekitty Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I'll have to second these previous comments.
    He might feel awkward about it at the moment but then once thing change he will probably be fine with it.

A cuple guys i dated didn't want me to lose any weight because they didn't want me to be better looking in fear of other guys wanting me. (winners I know)

One guy let me get fatter than fat and kept telling me I was fine because he loved me and didn't care, but i was SO EFFING MISERABLE and self-concious that relationship didn't last.

decent guys will say they like you how you are and if you get super disgusting (either too skinny/veiny or too fat) they will probably comment on your health.

a good thing to do is to not make a big deal about it. DO what makes you happy (actually happy, not OCD "happy)

the worrying could cause more of a problem than the actual body transformation.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options

I am willing to bet that this is it. he is insecure and worried you will get all hot and leave him.
  • ThisGirl2013
    ThisGirl2013 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I hate to say this about my baby, but he is a chunky guy and I secretly think that part of it is that he may be intimidated by the body I want to have. But if that's part of it he would NEVER admit that to me. And if it is, there's NO reason for him to feel that way.

I think you are right. I have never been more than 150 pounds but when I met my man I was only 110. He has been in love with me through thick and thin, no pun intended ;) but recently I lost about 10 pounds and I was working out to Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred. The first day, he was nice and supportive and whatever. The second day he was just kinda like giving me this weird look. I asked him about it and he was just like, "You don't need to look like that." I told him that I appreciate that he loves me for me but I NEED to do this for myself and he dropped it and didn't say anything negative again but yeah, it is kind of a blow to not have your significant other really rooting for you. He was rooting all along and I think you are right - either they are insecure with themselves or they are insecure that maybe YOU will find someone new once you reach that sexy, ripped new look. I am gonna do what I want regardless and good luck to you as well. I agree that if someone is in love with you, nothing (esp not weight gain or loss) will change the person's feelings for you.
  • MeIShouldB
    MeIShouldB Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    THIS COMMUNITY IS A-FREAKIN-MAZING! YOU GUYS HAVE NO IDEA HOW MUCH ALL OF YOUR COMMENTS LIFTED ME UP OMG I COULD JUST CRY LOL. I WAS BUMMED ABOUT THIS AND DIDN'T FEEL LIKE WORKING OUT. NOW I AM LACING UP MY SNEAKERS AND ABOUT TO GET STARTED. YOU GUYS ARE WONDERFUL. IT'S AMAZING TO HAVE SO MUCH SUPPORT FROM A BUNCH OF PEOPLE WHO DON'T EVEN KNOW ME, BUT I KNOW THAT YOU CAN RELATE.

TO ALL THE PEOPLE THAT SAID WAIT AND SEE, HE MAY LIKE IT: FUNNY THING IS WHEN I FIRST STARTED WORKING OUT HE KIND OF BLEW IT OFF. BUT WHEN I STARTED LOSING WEIGHT HE STARTED TELLING ME I INSPIRED HIM AND HE STARTED WORKING OUT WITH ME AND LOST TEN POUNDS. SO I WILL CROSS THE BRIDGE WHEN I COME TO IT, AND FOR NOW JUST CONCENTRATE ON MY GOALS! YOU GUYS ARE ALL FABULOUS AND HAVE REALLY MADE MY DAY. NOBODY UNDERSTANDS THE ISSUES THAT COME WITH A FITNESS JOURNEY BETTER THAN PEOPLE WHO ARE ON THAT SAME JOURNEY. I LOVE ALL U GUYS, I'M REALLY TOUCHED.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I'm going to have to keep looking out for signs of him no longer being attracted to me. He says he would still love me, but loving someone and being attracted to them are 2 different things. And we all know what happens when a man is no longer attracted to his woman.

I've extracted what I think is the most pertinent part. My husband's ideal body in a woman is a volleyball player, long, lean, very very tall, pretty straight up and down, and nothing but legs. Look at my pictures, I am 5'4" on a good day and have enough donk to keep an *kitten* man happy for years . . . I married a leg man, not an *kitten* man.

My ideal man is about a foot taller than me, and build like Dwayne Johnson (The Rock), yum . . . I love an exotic looking man with some serious steel. I married the guy next door, and he is 5'10".

Are we not attracted to each other because we don't fit these ideals? **** no, we find great enjoyment out of each other's bodies, we have a deep love and commitment to each other, we are a matching set. You need to worry about you and your enjoyment of your body. If you feel sexy and attractive he will find you sexy and attractive.
  • emily356
    emily356 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I also think the photos come into play. All of the photos are usually them pumped and flexed. When you are just standing there relaxed, you don't look ripped. Does that make sense?:)
  • emily356
    emily356 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I'm going to have to keep looking out for signs of him no longer being attracted to me. He says he would still love me, but loving someone and being attracted to them are 2 different things. And we all know what happens when a man is no longer attracted to his woman.

I've extracted what I think is the most pertinent part. My husband's ideal body in a woman is a volleyball player, long, lean, very very tall, pretty straight up and down, and nothing but legs. Look at my pictures, I am 5'4" on a good day and have enough donk to keep an *kitten* man happy for years . . . I married a leg man, not an *kitten* man.

My ideal man is about a foot taller than me, and build like Dwayne Johnson (The Rock), yum . . . I love an exotic looking man with some serious steel. I married the guy next door, and he is 5'10".

Are we not attracted to each other because we don't fit these ideals? **** no, we find great enjoyment out of each other's bodies, we have a deep love and commitment to each other, we are a matching set. You need to worry about you and your enjoyment of your body. If you feel sexy and attractive he will find you sexy and attractive.

And all of this ^^^
  • RainHoward
    RainHoward Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    If he doesn't like you for what you become there are plenty of men who will. Be your own star. Shine for you and no one else.
  • jfrankic
    jfrankic Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Agree with PP about the photos being taken during a workout. My muscles have some crazy definition when I'm lifting, but I look soft and cuddly when I'm relaxed.

Also, something that no one has mentioned..... Your muscle shape and size are largely genetic. As you lift, especially if you are eating at a deficit, you won't be getting any more muscular. You'll just have less fat on top of. In my case, it took me at least six months before starting to lift weights. I KNOW I lost LBM during that time. So, while I might look like I have "more" muscles now, I'm just strong and healthy and don't have 70 pounds of fat covering it up.

Be strong. Be you. Rock what you've got. And if he loves you, he will love what you are doing for yourself.
  • rebelate
    rebelate Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Go after what you want, and either he will come around or he won't. It's not your responsibility, to make him "come around" and support you.

Maybe he's learning he has body issues, is worried about losing you, or is struggling with an idea that you're changing to find another partner.