MORBIDLY OBESED, SCARED, LOOKING FOR SUPPORT

Options
I AM 353 POUNDS AND I RECENTLY STARTED MY HEALTHIER JOURNEY 3-7-13. TO BE HONEST WITH U I'M A FAST FOOD JUNKY AND TO ME IT'S VERY ADDICTING. I'VE MADE ALOT OF ATTEMPTS TO MAKE BETTER CHOICES; BUT THIS IS A MAJOR CRY FOR HELP!! I AM EMBARRASED THAT I LET THINGS GET OUT OF CONTROL TO THE POINT WHERE IM THE SIZE OF 3 HUMAN BEINGS. CHOOSING HEALTHY OPTIONS ARE VERY DIFFICULT!!! EVERYTHING U PICK UP IS BAD AS HELL EVEN THO IT PORTRAYS TO B HEALTHY. TRYING TO GET THE HANG OF CALORIE COUNTING, PORTIONING, NO FAST-FOODS, BUT IT'S AN OVERWHELMING CHALLENGE. I'M EATING HEALTHIER BUT I'M MISRABLE. THERE HAS TO BE BETTER TIPS & AVENUES.

Replies

• tam87tam
    tam87tam Posts: 6
    Options
    good job on starting! that's always the hardest part. i am sure you will read about lots of tips on here, but my best advice to you is to start cooking yourself. buy vegetables, meats, etc at the store and make your meals. it is so much easier to know what is going into your body that way - and you can eliminate the junk much easier. and if you don't buy all the tempting junk when you are at the grocery store, you won't have it at home to eat later. plan ahead, bring snacks with you - and you will start to feel so much better after a little while that you will want to try even harder!
  • jamiesueaustin
    Options
    I can't give any suggestions because I'm just starting. But, I wanted to say... HIGH FIVE FOR BEING BRAVE!!!! It's hard to start something new. If I DID have any suggestion it would be.... don't beat yourself up every time you screw up. Screwing up is how we learn to do better and beating yourself up for screwing up is how we learn to become emotional eaters. :)
  • lbesaw
    lbesaw Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    You have to start somewhere to get where you want to be. Give it some time and pretty soon you'll forget about your fast food cravings. Be patient with yourself. I know most people want "overnight" results but please grant yourself the time to adjust to your new eating program. Believe me --you will be so glad and feel so amazing in a few weeks and months. Good luck-you CAN do it. :smile:
  • tekwriter
    tekwriter Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    The fact you are starting are your first steps. It will take time to learn how to eat properly and you won't always be miserable. How high are you calories? Make sure there are enough to begin with. You can always reduce them again as you move along. Fruits and veggies are almost always good choices. You can eat almost anything as long as you add it in. Tracking is very important and a real learning experience. Please feel free to add me as a friend. I am in the same boat
  • unidiverse
    Options
    Don't go to the store when you are hungry and ALWAYS have a shopping list so that you don't fall to temptation and buy something you shouldn't have. The hardest part of your journey is the beginning. You will have withdrawl symptoms....FIGHT THEM! Drink water and go for walks or do something else to keep you busy. My hardest time is right after work, I get off at 3 and have two hours before my husband comes home...Prime Snacking Time. As soon as I enter the house I go straight to my room and change into workout close and either hit a video or the treadmill. IT WILL GET EASIER!!!
  • vlwimb84
    vlwimb84 Posts: 15
    Options
    I AM 353 POUNDS AND I RECENTLY STARTED MY HEALTHIER JOURNEY 3-7-13. TO BE HONEST WITH U I'M A FAST FOOD JUNKY AND TO ME IT'S VERY ADDICTING. I'VE MADE ALOT OF ATTEMPTS TO MAKE BETTER CHOICES; BUT THIS IS A MAJOR CRY FOR HELP!! I AM EMBARRASED THAT I LET THINGS GET OUT OF CONTROL TO THE POINT WHERE IM THE SIZE OF 3 HUMAN BEINGS. CHOOSING HEALTHY OPTIONS ARE VERY DIFFICULT!!! EVERYTHING U PICK UP IS BAD AS HELL EVEN THO IT PORTRAYS TO B HEALTHY. TRYING TO GET THE HANG OF CALORIE COUNTING, PORTIONING, NO FAST-FOODS, BUT IT'S AN OVERWHELMING CHALLENGE. I'M EATING HEALTHIER BUT I'M MISRABLE. THERE HAS TO BE BETTER TIPS & AVENUES.

Try eating mashed sweet potatoes, and lightly fry some squash up in olive oil,...and eat fish for protein.......
    Sweet potatoes are filling, healthy, and satisfy a sweet tooth that many people have...as for the squash, its like 15 calories per cup so you can really eat as much as you want without guilt...also fiber intake is crucial for weight loss as well as water intake...sugar and sodium are diet killers.

Hope this helps :)
  • witchy_wife
    witchy_wife Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    You are here and asking for help, that is a massive start! So big well done for that.

Don't jump head first in to it and think it has to be all or nothing. Ease yourself in to healthier eating. If you eat junk food every day at the moment, say you will have 1 or 2 days a week where you will cook your own food. And try and make sure you have 5 minutes walk every day, or make a commitment to be a little more active.

Sometimes if you take the all or nothing approach you find it too much of a change and then eventually you cave in to one little thing and feel like you have blown it all and give up.

Take baby steps and gradually work your way in to a healthier lifestyle, you can do it! Small changes hunnie. Feel free to add me as a friend for support if you like xx
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    I was the size of 3 people one year ago. I too had fast food every day. Tomorrow is my 1 year anniversary on MFP, and I am less than 20 pounds away from where I want to be. It can be done. I no longer eat fast food, pop, or chips. I pack my breakfast and lunch every work day. If you can not totally eliminate fast food, make better choices, but know that most processed foods are loaded with sodium and sugar, and fried foods are very high in calories and fat.
    Best of luck to you! You can do this!
  • ltlcutie
    ltlcutie Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    A healthy life is just tiny choice, one at a time! baby steps will, in the end, give you extra years of life, and the energy to enjoy the life you have :)
    My tip for you: Make fruit and veges the biggest part of your eating. Get to know where all the fruit shops are in your local area, and visit them, to buy lunch! when your going to drive-through, just keep driving to the nearest fruit shop and buy 6 apples a yummy stone fruit and an adacado - you can even eat that with a spoon if your starving.
    Make a day every week that you buy a big lot of fruit and veges, so your always stocked up at home, and include eggs when you buy there also, so you can keep boiled eggs in the fridge, protein is great to keep you feeling full.
  • emeraldj18
    Options
    Hello:smile: ,This is my third attempt at this.I know how hard it is to stop eating the fatty and junk foods.I love them.But ,I have come to the realization that I must make a change in my lifestyle.Don't be so hard on yourself:smooched: ,It will be a journey and as you see by the post and responses that you will not be alone in this. I actually make decisions on what to eat by putting them in first and see which is better for me and where I am at before I eat it. Also,you may want to look at food alternatives and incorporate them in your menu.Start making more homecooked foods and you will have control on what you are eating.Take it slow and hang in there....
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options

I used to be 335 lbs and am now down to 200 and I CAN help you if you are willing. The first thing to understand is that you don't need to focus so hard on being exact when you have a lot to lose. And you can continue to eat all the food you love, but you have to be willing to cook it yourself from scratch. I lost most of my weight living off of pasta and burgers and you can too! Just make them yourself! They'll come out more delicious if you do them right, I promise! You can feel free to add me and I will help you out however I can.
  • Kaylaef
    Kaylaef Posts: 194 Member
    Options

Try eating mashed sweet potatoes, and lightly fry some squash up in olive oil,...and eat fish for protein.......
    Sweet potatoes are filling, healthy, and satisfy a sweet tooth that many people have...as for the squash, its like 15 calories per cup so you can really eat as much as you want without guilt...also fiber intake is crucial for weight loss as well as water intake...sugar and sodium are diet killers.

Hope this helps :)

I love this idea haha. I also am a potato fan..so I started steaming some cauliflower with my potatos and mash them together with a tbl spoon of cream cheese and some oregano. Lets mix veg in things we love to make them better without loosing our minds. I load my pasta up with peppers and onions so I feel like I am having a large portion but most of it is veg!

Good Luck! It will take time, and remember food addiction is an addiction. So you're going to struggle for a little bit. But--it will eventually get sooo much easier
  • turkeyhunter60
    turkeyhunter60 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    The more food you prepare yourself, the quicker the weight will come off. Get moving, and count the calories. It WILL happen. A lot of people are right here with you.
  • NicholeChristina
    Options
    First let me know I know your pain. I am right there with you !! I am blessed to have a program where I live that is a great support and is teaching me to learn a new lifestyle. Have you thought about talking to your Dr. ? Some places have programs simular to what I am in. The two biggest things that I have learn that have helped me the most are

1. No all or none thinking.....what this means is that before I would go all in or all out. I would go crazy eating "healthy" ...I would do that for a bit then as soon as I "messed up" I was like well there I go again ...I screwed it up....I might as well make it worth it ....and I'd go right back to eating crap. I found I had that in a lot of areas of my life. You should start off by making small changes. Make small goals like, start eating breakfast .....or maybe trying to get a least 8 glasses of water, or stop drinking soda. Once you accomplish that, and another small goal. You cant go from lets say a 3,000 cal diet to a 1,500 in one day. Thats crazy. You did not become this way over night, dont expect to change over night. We dont need to diet but, to change our lifestyle.

2. 80/20 rule. try to eat healthy 80 percent of the time ...and 20 percent you can eat not so healthy. If you cant do 80/20 at first ....try 40/60 ....whatever ....as long as you are making changes.

This is not a will power issue ....always remember you have always had the control !!
  • smaihlee
    smaihlee Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I can't imagine how overwhelmed you must feel, but huge kudos to you for having the courage to put it all out there and ask for help. Since you are a self-proclaimed fast food junkie, I think the key is going to be for you to start slowly so that your mind and body will be able to adjust to the changes you make.

Before you start, there are a lot of questions you're going to have to answer to help yourself get started. There are thousands of people here who are willing to help--all you have to do is ask!!

I have to assume you don't do a lot of cooking, but do you know how? Have you ever tried to eat healthy foods? Do you have certain types of foods you really like or dislike?
  • ShmareParks
    ShmareParks Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    At least you have started. This puts you ahead of so many others.

Nothing will happen overnight, but every little good choice is a step in the right direction. Hang in there for the long haul. This will take years ... but they will be worth it in the end for your own sense of self esteem and your health. We're all here to support each other. Feel free to add me if you want a cheerleader along the way. GOOD LUCK!
  • HeatherOberholtzer
    Options
    You have to think of it as a lifestyle change or it will never work. I started at 289 and tried every diet fad that came along until I had "that moment" where I decided to just be better. I know I could have lost weight faster with a diet but I would have failed miserably...making changes it coming off SLOWLY but it's a take one day at a time or for me it was one hour at a time!!! I have an open diary to friends if you want a peek!!!
  • wandajean1966
    Options
    I can relate to you I have been battling weight problem for years but, I wasn't a fast food person my addiction was chips and overeating at dinner time. right now i am on a liquid diet high protein I buy my mix from walmart its called body fortress i scoop to a cup of 1% milk fills me up and lasts to the next meal I still battle with the chips but when i fail i learned to forgive myself and just get right back on track and i do allow myself to eat dinner whatever i want once a week. started this on the 19th of February and lost 11 lbs I know that doesn't sound like a lot but every pound counts. If you need support look me up I can use some myself:)
  • lgraham66
    lgraham66 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    good for you, starting and making the decision to change your lifestyle is the most important step you can make. It is a difficult decision but the best one, it will be difficult but never give up it is so worth it. Start out slow make small changes and most definately give up the fast food, the food you buy and cook yourself is some much better. I am on here almost everyday, add me and lets do this thing together...Good luck and best wishes
  • Babygirl928
    Babygirl928 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    You are here and asking for help, that is a massive start! So big well done for that.

Don't jump head first in to it and think it has to be all or nothing. Ease yourself in to healthier eating. If you eat junk food every day at the moment, say you will have 1 or 2 days a week where you will cook your own food. And try and make sure you have 5 minutes walk every day, or make a commitment to be a little more active.

Sometimes if you take the all or nothing approach you find it too much of a change and then eventually you cave in to one little thing and feel like you have blown it all and give up.

Take baby steps and gradually work your way in to a healthier lifestyle, you can do it! Small changes hunnie. Feel free to add me as a friend for support if you like xx
    ^^^ This including the "feel free to add me" YOU CAN DO THIS !!!!!