Yes, you can. (Quick Start Guide to fat loss)

Options

Replies

• hgillesp
    hgillesp Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    bump thanks!
  • justiceconway
    Options
    Bump and thanks for the info.
  • Chris99mu
    Chris99mu Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Tag. Awesome
  • sPaRkLiNgLYFE
    Options
    love this
  • momxs2
    momxs2 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I so needed that! Thx for taking the time to write it all out!!
  • tinyjaz
    tinyjaz Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Thanks for taking the time to share this information with us all. Very helpful and informative. :-)
  • lemonfizzle
    lemonfizzle Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Great info!
  • spamantha57
    spamantha57 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Great post. I like that you gave a lot of flexibility to options whereas a lot of people state a lot of black & white math, which doesn't apply for everyone & drives me nuts when people do that. :smile:
  • MrsDrake678
    MrsDrake678 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Question (hope not a dumb one) If I have calculated what I should eat now at my current weight based on my BMR and TDEE but then I lose 20lbs do I recalculate? And if so, how often and with which weight loss milestone do I recalculate if I am still far from my goal? Did that make sense? Hope so lol.
  • Reinventing_Me
    Reinventing_Me Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    bump
  • justiceconway
    Options
    Ok It's late and I'm tired. :yawn: My BMR is 1230 x 1.2 = 1476 < 20% is 1180.8 call is 1181. Is this right? MFP say's I should not eat less then 1200 cal. I realize 20 calories isn't much but just want to make sure I'm doing the right thing.
  • CactusF1ower
    CactusF1ower Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Thanks for taking the time to do this step by step with clear and concise examples.
  • angleu
    angleu Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • MMarvelous
    MMarvelous Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    bump
  • DarrelBirkett
    DarrelBirkett Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Question (hope not a dumb one) If I have calculated what I should eat now at my current weight based on my BMR and TDEE but then I lose 20lbs do I recalculate? And if so, how often and with which weight loss milestone do I recalculate if I am still far from my goal? Did that make sense? Hope so lol.

Hi, no such thing as dumb questions ;) Its all to easy to get lost in the mine field of opinions and different approach.

Anyway, The energy your body uses is based on current weight. So yes, as your weight decreases so does the amount of energy your body needs. This is how some people think "why have I stopped losing weight?". Likely because what was a calorie deficit now isnt. So you just recalculate your TDEE based on your new weight and off you go again.

How often, depends on how quite you lose weight but I think once per month is a good and easy to follow habit.

How much, well rather than % you could work out your TDEE and then remove 500 cals. That adds up to 1lb fat loss per week.

Examples

TDEE is 2000 cals - Aim for 1500
    TDEE is 1850 cals - aim for 1350

Further note.

Your TDEE is your TOTAL energy needed. So if you go to the gym, your body needs energy for that. If it needed 350 cals for example and your stand still TDEE was 1800, your new TDEE is 2150, then less your 500 deficit = 1650 cals.

Or as I do, I eat the cals I burn so using this example, if my basic stand still was 1800 and I removed 500 for 1lb fat loss per week that would be 1300 per day. Or 1650 on days I used 350 at the gym.
  • DarrelBirkett
    DarrelBirkett Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Ok It's late and I'm tired. :yawn: My BMR is 1230 x 1.2 = 1476 < 20% is 1180.8 call is 1181. Is this right? MFP say's I should not eat less then 1200 cal. I realize 20 calories isn't much but just want to make sure I'm doing the right thing.

That sounds right yes. I can check further if you confirm your age, weight, height & sex. Im always wary when the figures drop below 1200 (1800 on a male, so Im assuming you're female). Im no biologist but these figures are said to be the minimum and its a good point you raise. For safety I would say not to drop your calories below 1200/1800 (women/men) even if that means your fat loss drop from 20% to say 15% or whatever.
  • zealousmissjj_wechange
    Options
    bump
  • hannah_ryann
    hannah_ryann Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    bumpity!!
  • LilDaisyWaisy
    Options
    Excellent info ;)

I just started and that explains everythin I think I need to know!

Thanks for sharing this post with us.
  • eatrunstretch
    eatrunstretch Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I've read up on TDEEs a few times but never understood it as well as after reading your post so thank-you!