Yes, you can. (Quick Start Guide to fat loss)

Options

Replies

• xampx
    xampx Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info on supplements. I am interested in the maize custard stuff!
  • princessnik7
    princessnik7 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    bump
  • BarbBBQ
    BarbBBQ Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    great post! bump
  • karlalband
    karlalband Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Bump, thank you!
  • kalamitykate83
    kalamitykate83 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Hi, sorry for being a bit blonde but just wanna check I'm on the right track.

I used the calculator link you posted. My BMR is 1545 and my TDEE is 2743 (on days when I exercise).

So, if I want to aim to lose 2lbs a week, what should I be eating on a daily basis when I'm exercising for an hour also???

Thanks in advance!! :-)
  • Dauntlessness
    Dauntlessness Posts: 1,489 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the post!
    I think I broke my body. haha. If I eat 2k calories or more a day while working out 6 day a week, sometimes double workouts a day while burning around 1000 -1300 HRM calories a day I either don't lose weight or I lose very little. These last few weeks I have been burning a little less because I was pretty sick though.
    A while ago I did eat more calories BUT I had to exercise more and that seemed to work well for me. The thing is, I work out so much now. I feel its just creating more of an issue rather than figuring out a balance.

Side note: I did just find out I have a gluten allergy so I think that's keeping the weight on. I have done a ton of research on it and just as much as people lose weight because of ceIiac they can also gain it too or have a hard time losing because of it. I tend to lose weight fairly easy then Ill eat something I am not suppose to and the weight comes on 2-3 fold. Maybe that's my issue too...I have lots to think about.
  • DarrelBirkett
    DarrelBirkett Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I have a question re: muscles. If you drop body fat and gain muscle do you still work with tdee? Sorry if its sounds a silly question but I wasn't sure if you had to eat more due to higher muscle mass or whether you just increase your protein. An example is from today. On a post a woman had started lifting, dropped body fat and gained muscle. She obviously had to be eating at a suplus to gain the muscle, which I understand. Her weight however is at 125 pounds now. Would she work out her tdee just the same as a 'normal' 125 pound woman? I understand with more muscle, metabolism goes up etc and always wondered if it was worked out differently.

Hi, yes you can always work with TDEE. Whether your body is made up of more muscle or fat its the energy it needs to move your body around. That said, you're right in that muscle burns more energy. Its like when you exercise and MFP says strength training burned 200 cals, its not quite the case as the recovery period of the muscle burns energy as well. For ease though I would just stick to TDEE.

As for the amount and please note this is my opinion and not fact!

For fat loss I work to -500cals per day under my TDEE. I do that while eating (fairly) clean, researching my macro breakdown, taking carefully timed BCAA supplements (to prevent muscle breakdown), drinking lots of water, green tea. Stopped alcohol (pretty much anyway) and so on. This allowed me to gradually lose fat while maintaining lean mass.

For muscle gain I'd do the same in reverse. Eat +500 cals over TDEE, same nutrition etc and Id hope to gain lean mass with minimal effect on fat gain.

So yes, whatever her weight now, no matter her composition she would use the same TDEE calculation (as I understand).
  • olores
    olores Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    real life ANGEL!! Thank you for your time!!!
  • ViDexSha
    ViDexSha Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    bump...thanks!
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    Poifect. My mom just started MFP with a fibit & I needed something I could give her to study :huh:
    Since I'm still pretty new to this part, it's tough for me to explain some of the concepts to her. Having to unlearn all sorts of things like not eating after 8pm, eating like a bird etc.

She comes from the era of Jane Fonda workouts, though thankfully she grasps the concept of increasing LBM through strength/resistance/weight training.

Thanks again!!:smooched:
  • lmkaks
    lmkaks Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this. It is great.
  • DarrelBirkett
    Options
    Hi, sorry for being a bit blonde but just wanna check I'm on the right track.

I used the calculator link you posted. My BMR is 1545 and my TDEE is 2743 (on days when I exercise).

So, if I want to aim to lose 2lbs a week, what should I be eating on a daily basis when I'm exercising for an hour also???

Thanks in advance!! :-)

Taking your figures, if your TDEE is 2743 then you would chop out 1000 cals to lose 2lb a week which would give 1743 per day (on the days when you exercised) and 1200 on days you didnt (1200 being the safest low value to consume for a woman). That seems a fairly aggressive fat loss though and my concern is usually being able to stick with it and not be disheartened when its hard to keep up. Thats why I look at 500 cals per day reduction.

The single most important factor though is your results. If you see weight coming off at 4lb per week for example thats actually not good as it wouldnt last and you would hit a plateau. so its wise to monitor whats happening.
  • kalamitykate83
    kalamitykate83 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Hi, right ok. Thanks for that. I'll give it a go and see how I get on! :-)
  • PollyWolly98
    Options
    OK, I'm still confused a bit. BMR is required for normal function, but in your example (TDEE - 20% = 1600 calories) the calories eaten on days without exercise are lower than BMR (2000 calories). I've been maintaining/slight gain since I bumped up calories based upon my Fitbit estimate, so I've been trying to recalculate things. I'm a bit nervous to drop under my BMR, since I've read quite a bit not recommending that. Do you have any comments about recommending a daily allowance lower than BMR (on days with no exercise)? And just for my personal info: BMR is 1338 and following your guide would result in 1605 TDEE and 20% reduction to 1284 (plus exercise calories).
  • DarrelBirkett
    Options
    Thanks for the post!
    I think I broke my body. haha. If I eat 2k calories or more a day while working out 6 day a week, sometimes double workouts a day while burning around 1000 -1300 HRM calories a day I either don't lose weight or I lose very little. These last few weeks I have been burning a little less because I was pretty sick though.
    A while ago I did eat more calories BUT I had to exercise more and that seemed to work well for me. The thing is, I work out so much now. I feel its just creating more of an issue rather than figuring out a balance.

Side note: I did just find out I have a gluten allergy so I think that's keeping the weight on. I have done a ton of research on it and just as much as people lose weight because of ceIiac they can also gain it too or have a hard time losing because of it. I tend to lose weight fairly easy then Ill eat something I am not suppose to and the weight comes on 2-3 fold. Maybe that's my issue too...I have lots to think about.

It is possible not to eat enough. If you are working that hard I would take a step back and calculate from the start. What is your daily TDEE including all of the exercise you do. Then how much exactly are you eating on those days?

Allergies can have an impact as well. Im far from an expert but believe that allergies can cause stress to the body which reacts by releasing cortisol (hormone) and that impacts fat loss.
  • hunny73
    hunny73 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Bump!! Thak you for this.
  • mich1902
    mich1902 Posts: 182
    Options
    I have a question re: muscles. If you drop body fat and gain muscle do you still work with tdee? Sorry if its sounds a silly question but I wasn't sure if you had to eat more due to higher muscle mass or whether you just increase your protein. An example is from today. On a post a woman had started lifting, dropped body fat and gained muscle. She obviously had to be eating at a suplus to gain the muscle, which I understand. Her weight however is at 125 pounds now. Would she work out her tdee just the same as a 'normal' 125 pound woman? I understand with more muscle, metabolism goes up etc and always wondered if it was worked out differently.

Hi, yes you can always work with TDEE. Whether your body is made up of more muscle or fat its the energy it needs to move your body around. That said, you're right in that muscle burns more energy. Its like when you exercise and MFP says strength training burned 200 cals, its not quite the case as the recovery period of the muscle burns energy as well. For ease though I would just stick to TDEE.

As for the amount and please note this is my opinion and not fact!

For fat loss I work to -500cals per day under my TDEE. I do that while eating (fairly) clean, researching my macro breakdown, taking carefully timed BCAA supplements (to prevent muscle breakdown), drinking lots of water, green tea. Stopped alcohol (pretty much anyway) and so on. This allowed me to gradually lose fat while maintaining lean mass.

For muscle gain I'd do the same in reverse. Eat +500 cals over TDEE, same nutrition etc and Id hope to gain lean mass with minimal effect on fat gain.

So yes, whatever her weight now, no matter her composition she would use the same TDEE calculation (as I understand).

Thanks :) I am just starting out and always petrified I don't eat enough or too much but I always stick with the bmr and tdee principles as well as having a good amount of protein in my macros. Also trying out some bcaa's as well. Good post!
  • harleenarang
    harleenarang Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Bump !!! Save for later :)
  • lissaloue
    lissaloue Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    lol 42... nice! bump
  • Kreider86
    Kreider86 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Thank you, now I have a better idea what to do! bump!