Why do people say "you need to stop losing weight?"

Options
124»

Replies

• fIashforward
    fIashforward Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Well a women's size 8 would seem like lowest healthy size to me, maybe a size 6.

Under that and I would see someone as underweight. I assume others are the same.

Its also because, people can see you've lost a lot of weight and are possibly afraid you're "addicted" to it, and will keep on going
  • BonnieFife
    BonnieFife Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I had the 'your losing weight but dont go over do it & go Anorexic' very recently too, like wtf & this was from someone who used to wash down diet pills like water & skip meals & did look Anorexic with the jutting out hip bones. I just want to get down to 9 1/2 - 10stn i was at my happiest then. I think people only see what they want to see, so well done you for the weight loss so far :smile:
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Haters gonna hate.

True dat!!
  • ajhugz
    ajhugz Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    Well a women's size 8 would seem like lowest healthy size to me, maybe a size 6.

Under that and I would see someone as underweight. I assume others are the same.

Its also because, people can see you've lost a lot of weight and are possibly afraid you're "addicted" to it, and will keep on going

I wouldn't judge a woman's healthy size based on a clothing size. Someone 5'2 and someone that is 5'9 can both wear a size 6 but the shorter person will look bigger or wider than the taller person and may not look as healthy to some. When I was smaller I wore a size 6 in one brand and a 10 in another. It has nothing to do with my health but the cut of the pants. Maybe a size 6/8 is your personal preference but clothing size does not determine health. Sorry to break it to you but most women lie about their sizes so what you view as a size 6/8 could be something different. Health is determined by a doctor and medical exams/tests.
  • olDave
    olDave Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Opinions are like a-holes...everybody has one.

Don't sweat it. People will think and say what they want. There's no sense fretting over it or trying to figure it out.

Good job on your new healthy lifestyle! :smile:
  • carrow04
    carrow04 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Yep....the comments are already rolling in. I still have a long way to go too. I really think it has a lot more to do with other people's insecurities. I'm still getting used to the new me. I imagine it will be a bit of an adjustment for them too.
  • jendraka
    jendraka Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I've gotten that from my mother. It was along the lines of "you can stop losing weight now." To which my response was, with widened eyes, looking down at myself and my thighs, hips and around at my butt, back at her, back down at myself, back at her, and then saying something like, "I'm sorry, have you not seen my butt? It's still there. Along with the thighs and hips that don't lie." She seems to have this thought that just since her and her sisters all have um, shall we say, ample trunk space, that I should be content having some as well. Well, I'm not. Thus, I'm not quite done and I'm also concentrating on BF%. As far as she knows, at least I think, I'm not dieting or anything right now. I'm not telling her either. She'll figure it out eventually.
  • soehlerking
    soehlerking Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    You just have to translate that for your own life--it could be that you do look very thin (as in the case of the tall size 6 woman) or it could just be that people are still adjusting to the new version of you. Either way, as long as you know you're taking care of yourself, then just smile and be glad to be suffering from skinny criticism instead of fat problems. :)
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    I think some people don't realise that once you get to your goal weight, you should maintain your new healthy habits. It's like they think now you're there, you should go back to not exercising and eating too much. So when they see you're still being sensible with your food choices and still going to the gym, they worry that you're taking it too far. Add in a sprinkling of jealousy/sour grapes and a skewed vision of what healthy is, and they worry that you've gone too far and are in danger of an eating disorder.

It's not really that different to when people say "why is she going to the gym? she's already skinny" - they seem to think that healthy exercise and healthy food choices are only for people who are trying to get thinner. And this mentality goes with yo-yo dieting, as some who say these things probably apply this logic to themselves.
  • Jamcnair
    Jamcnair Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of reasons people do this. They are just trying to be nice and say you look lovely the way you are. They honestly think you are takin g weight loss to an extreme. The shock of a big weight loss can make you look smaller by comparison than you really are. Catty jealous b****es that would rather you gained the weight back so they'd feel better about themselve.

Just give them a smile, say thanks, and do what makes you happy. You don't owe them an explantion.

I agree...just about any of these are the case. I got it all the time too
  • disneygallagirl
    disneygallagirl Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    LOVE THIS QUOTE by Spartan_Maker: "You ought to have higher expectations for both of us."
    Well SAID!
  • Inshape13
    Inshape13 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I am 5'6 and weigh 138 right now. My initial goal weight was 142 because I like my curves and that was 40% of my initial body weight, but I think that one of the biggest things that is making a difference is my bust size has gone down quite a few letters and that makes me look really thin compared to where I started.
    I have been in maintenance for a couple of months since I hit 142 and then started dropping a few more lbs over the last month when I started running....although I did up my calories. I work with a trainer at the gym and my ultimate goal is not a number on the scale, but to have a 20-21% bf and I am at 23% now so I am going to keep doing what I'm doing for me and let the comments of "lost too much" go in one ear and out the other. Thanks for all of the comments and everybody keep up the great work.
  • escapeartist90210
    escapeartist90210 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Jealously!
  • Doctorpurple
    Doctorpurple Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I agree with all the comments above the warped perception of people at a healthy weight. Some people who are overweight and who hang around with overweight people tend to view healthy weight individuals as "too skinny" even though in reality they are not. It could also be that they are jealous because you are looking hotter therefore what they really mean by what they say:

Don't lose any more weight= stop looking better so I don't feel worse about myself.
  • julesxo
    julesxo Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    They are jealous.
  • Brad805
    Brad805 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Why do you care? People are full of opinions. Always have, always will. Smile and nod. Eventually they stop with the comments.
  • Curvynerdgirl
    Options
    So I changed my lifestyle a little over a year ago and eat very healthy and exercise alot now so I have lost alot of weight. Lately though I keep getting the "you need to stop losing weight, you have lost enough". I don't think It is being said in a malicious way, but it is annoying to me that other people think they need to say what I should weigh.

I started at a size 20 and wear a 6/8 now so it is very noticable that I am quite smaller, but I am in no way too small.....I am just looking to firm up that last bit of loose skin and firm the belly. It would be awesome to get to an even 100lb loss. Why can't people just be supportive and not throw the opinions out every time I see them? Anyone else in the same boat?

In all honesty, without knowing these individuals and who you are speaking with, there could be the possibility they are worried. Given that the culture of weight loss tends to be associated with eating disorders, I could see the misconception that you might be harming yourself. I think thanking them is a good step, but depending on who it is that is commenting this, you might ask them WHY they are so concerned, and then tell them what your doing and your goals. That might relax their fears. Otherwise, its really none of their darn business!
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    I do remember a male friend telling me that I was losing all my womanly curves when I lost weight some 30-odd years ago. I figured it wasn't my responsibility to be curvy for him so ignored it. Sigh ............ why oh why didn't I work harder to maintain? Now I need to lose twice as much as I did then, and it's harder!

Don't give up for anything except your own well being!
  • bkibbs
    bkibbs Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Haters gonna hate
    cm-42924-850e75e2889622.gif
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    Maybe they aren't used to seeing you so slim, or, possibly, they could be right, if you've reached a weight that is good for your body type, even if it is still higher than your goal. You won't lose loose skin by losing more weight. Step back and be objective about your body. You could even have your body fat percentage measured to judge whether or not you should lose more weight.