whats the beef on well...beef...

Options

Replies

• sonia815
    sonia815 Posts: 5
    Options
    Even though I am anemic, my Doctor wants me to avoid it because of all the steroids that are fed to cows.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Even though I am anemic, my Doctor wants me to avoid it because of all the steroids that are fed to cows.

you can always get the hormone free, grass fed beef...or so the package says...
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I eat it a whole lot less than I used to, but I do like an occasional steak. It's the burgers (and often what I want on the burgers) that I've had to stop completely. It actually helps with iron too--for some reason, the best foods for iron, like bread and beef, are the ones blessed with carbs and fat and cholesterol! Keep up the good work, and enjoy your weekly steak!

burgers rock ..I make one with avocado, american cheese, tomato and onion..so freaking good...

I'm usually a pretty plain burger person. Regular fixing minus onions, plus cheese. However, have you ever tried a peanut butter burger. My favourite local restaurant has an awesome one with a peanut butter sauce and bacon. Mmm.

ooo that sounds different and good..

I like to put a fried egg on my burgers sometimes..that is soo F'ing good..I think I am getting turned on LOL jk, well maybe...

They also have a bacon and egg burger there. I was totally against it until I tried it. I would say that would be in my top 3 (they have the PB burger, bacon/cheddar chipotle mayo burger and the bacon and egg burger. its hard to place, for 2 and 3. Number 1 is the chipotle burger, we served it at our wedding there, along with other stuff).

They have other fancy burgers but those are the ones I like.
  • squirrelzzrule22
    squirrelzzrule22 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I always figured "the beef" was about the cardiovascular issues...but I thought that was more of a risk factor thing...like if you're obese or have had a heart attack, high cholesterol, etc. This is just my lay perception however. But I'll put it this way- birth control pills tell you not to smoke because it increases the risk of cardiovascular side effects. They don't say don't eat a burger. I have therefore deemed red meat an appropriate part of my healthy lifestyle! (just go with it...)

Anyhoo I don't eat it much, but Whole Foods sells two packs of prepped burgers with great seasonings so I buy those on occasion to grill for me and the bf. In fact today I purchased "Chipotle Lime Butter Stuffed Burgers" to grill up on Thursday evening. I'm thinking the Chipotle will be soo good with some avocado slices on it mmmmm

ETA: I'm not full-on anemic but I get low on iron sometimes, and there is NOTHING (sorry, vegetarians, spinach does not cut it) like beef for getting that good irony feeling in your system.
  • deedeeFP
    deedeeFP Posts: 28
    Options
    Everything is good in moderation. I know I grave a good rib eye once in awhile.
  • luckyjuls
    luckyjuls Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    You had me at beef.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    You had me at beef.
    I had myself at beef...
  • pspetralia
    pspetralia Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I eat it a whole lot less than I used to, but I do like an occasional steak. It's the burgers (and often what I want on the burgers) that I've had to stop completely. It actually helps with iron too--for some reason, the best foods for iron, like bread and beef, are the ones blessed with carbs and fat and cholesterol! Keep up the good work, and enjoy your weekly steak!

burgers rock ..I make one with avocado, american cheese, tomato and onion..so freaking good...

I'm usually a pretty plain burger person. Regular fixing minus onions, plus cheese. However, have you ever tried a peanut butter burger. My favourite local restaurant has an awesome one with a peanut butter sauce and bacon. Mmm.
    [/

My husband loves those. I think they are called goober burgers.

EDIT: spelling error
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    Beef is good...just had some beef and potato casserole for dinner. We don't eat it as much as we used to, but we do have it often. Yum. And like anything else...part of a healthy eating plan.
  • lauradiet0829
    Options
    Try grass fed beef only kind that makes me feel good
  • ndj1979
    Options
    right now my favorite is sir loin stir fry with brown rice, quinoa, peppers, and onion...mixed in with some olive oil and garlic...so good!
  • rossmy1
    rossmy1 Posts: 17
    Options
    You are too funny! This whole beef "blog" was great and very informative, might I add. Like the sounds of the avocado burger...must try. Funny enough, I've stopped eating red meat since I started MFP, but it's nice to know I can endulge at least once a week. Who knew people were so passionate about beef??? LOL!
  • ndj1979
    Options
    You are too funny! This whole beef "blog" was great and very informative, might I add. Like the sounds of the avocado burger...must try. Funny enough, I've stopped eating red meat since I started MFP, but it's nice to know I can endulge at least once a week. Who knew people were so passionate about beef??? LOL!

mmmm beef, it's what for dinner...

I love me some steak, always have and always will...
  • funhouse77
    funhouse77 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I eat red meat very rarely, it triggers my IBS symptoms and I just don't seem to be able to digest it easily.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    Beef is good but having it every day will most likely give you too much iron which can cause long term health issues.

Not gonna happen because beef isn't a "high iron" food. You'd be more likely to have this problem eating a bowl of Cocoa Puffs every morning. The whole beef and iron thing is a common misconception.

I have to watch the calories now that I am cutting but 93/7 ground beef and sirloin are lean, lower calorie options in which I partake quite regularly, probably 3 or 4 times a week. Love the stuff, and if I didn't also like chicken and pork and fish, I'd probably eat it more often.
  • joenolte
    joenolte Posts: 11
    Options
    I love burgers--that's the problem. I'll start loading them up with stuff and end up screwing up my whole day (or week). And once I eat one, it's like potato chips, or bacon--I can't stop! So instead, I eat chicken breast or portabello mushrooms in place of a burger and save my beef intake for low-sodium jerky or steak. But yeah--burgers rock, and I'm sure Red Robin and Fuddrucker's stock has fallen since I joined MFP!
  • 78brownie_wechanged
    Options
    I've had filet mignon and broccoli rabe for lunch for the past few days. Having it again tomorrow. Thursday and Friday...unsure. Maybe salmon?
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I love burgers--that's the problem. I'll start loading them up with stuff and end up screwing up my whole day (or week). And once I eat one, it's like potato chips, or bacon--I can't stop! So instead, I eat chicken breast or portabello mushrooms in place of a burger and save my beef intake for low-sodium jerky or steak. But yeah--burgers rock, and I'm sure Red Robin and Fuddrucker's stock has fallen since I joined MFP!

you could always make your own rather then buy them out..at least when you are making them you know what is going in them...
  • Pink_turnip
    Pink_turnip Posts: 280 Member
    Options

That sounds delicious! there is a hotdog place here that does a hot dog with PB&J and Captain Crunch. It's amazing!

Also, I almost always put avocado on my burgers, it is sooo good!

As for the whole beef conversation, I usually do burgers once a week, but our usual meat with dinner is pork sausage. It's just cost effective. I buy all of our meat in bulk and then divide it and freeze it (2 sausages in a zip-lock bag, or one chicken breast, or between a half a pound and a pound of ground beef)
    Steak I usually pick up the day I'm going to cook it, or at most a couple days ahead of time so I can marinade it.

We bbq'd the other day cause it was soooo nice out! once the weather is consistently nice I'm going to be grilling sooo much more!!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i avoid beef because it tastes like YUCK!

ox, lamb and goat on the other hand are friggin' delicious.