95lbs lost and 19lbs of muscle gained in 11 weeks

Options

Replies

• MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Seriously it's just got to be a flat out lie. Here's the situation, she was an athlete when she was younger, she absolutely appears to have "gained" muscle because it was there already under the fat. She doesn't have the loose skin that some of the other contestants get because they weren't as athletic as her when they were younger.

I do think her transformation has been amazing, but I am still calling BS on the "gain" of the muscle. It's an optical illusion because she was already muscular.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    Never trust media like NBC to report factual information... Danni looks fantastic but I am sure there is more behind the story e.g. a longer time than NBC admits

NBC doesn't give us all the variables like how much the contestants are eating, how much they are working out... you barely see them in the kitchen but always working out. Something is amiss.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    There's gotta be a sponsor somewhere complaining about the show not making them enough money.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Are we really discussing the validity of a claim made by a REALITY TV SHOW?
  • bokodasu
    bokodasu Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Yay, I did math! I really wish I had her starting BF%, but I couldn't find it anywhere; if someone has that it would make these numbers a lot easier to work out.

She started at 258. Let's say she measured at 60% BF; that would give her 103 lbs of LBM.
    She ended at 163, and they said she gained 19 lbs of "muscle" (LBM); that would mean she had 122ish lbs of LBM and would measure at 25% BF. That seems... unlikely, given the pictures I've seen, but ok, sure, let's go with that.

I don't know when they do the initial weigh-in or what the conditions are or how they calculate the contestants' BF; those things would make this easier too. But all bodyfat calculations are based on averages and get wonky when you get to really high or low weights. And all measurements have a built-in margin of error. Using multiple methods of measuring doesn't correct for this, because they're all based on the same slightly-wonky calculations in the first place. So let's go with 4% margin of error, because that's a pretty tiny for all current methods but gives good number.

If she was at 56% bodyfat at 258, she had 113.5 lbs of LBM.
    If she was at 29% bodyfat at 163, she now has 115.7 lbs of LBM.

Which would mean she gained 2.2 lbs of muscle in "11 weeks" (could really be as much as 20ish depending on how much the show lies). Totally possible for a big girl newbie.
  • rodneyderrick
    rodneyderrick Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I can't bring myself to watch reality television.
  • determined_erin
    determined_erin Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I like watching this show, and I love Danni. However, I feel like they made Danni the favorite to the viewers throughout the season. It wasn't a shock to me when she was the #1 finalist on the episode this week. It almost feels planned.
  • lizzybethclaire
    lizzybethclaire Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    bump
  • amilypic
    amilypic Posts: 30
    Options
    She's just going to gain it all back anyway. She did nothing but excersize for for 11 weeks, everything it going to be different whne she goes back to work.
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    they said in on TV SO IT MUST BE TRUE
  • edfuentes
    edfuentes Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    It's true! It's all true!!! Also the world is flat, muscle weighs more than fat and the moon is made of green cheese. Facts!

Is that green cheese the type of good fat I should be eating? :-)
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    Yay, I did math! I really wish I had her starting BF%, but I couldn't find it anywhere; if someone has that it would make these numbers a lot easier to work out.

She started at 258. Let's say she measured at 60% BF; that would give her 103 lbs of LBM.
    She ended at 163, and they said she gained 19 lbs of "muscle" (LBM); that would mean she had 122ish lbs of LBM and would measure at 25% BF. That seems... unlikely, given the pictures I've seen, but ok, sure, let's go with that.

I don't know when they do the initial weigh-in or what the conditions are or how they calculate the contestants' BF; those things would make this easier too. But all bodyfat calculations are based on averages and get wonky when you get to really high or low weights. And all measurements have a built-in margin of error. Using multiple methods of measuring doesn't correct for this, because they're all based on the same slightly-wonky calculations in the first place. So let's go with 4% margin of error, because that's a pretty tiny for all current methods but gives good number.

If she was at 56% bodyfat at 258, she had 113.5 lbs of LBM.
    If she was at 29% bodyfat at 163, she now has 115.7 lbs of LBM.

Which would mean she gained 2.2 lbs of muscle in "11 weeks" (could really be as much as 20ish depending on how much the show lies). Totally possible for a big girl newbie.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    I like watching this show, and I love Danni. However, I feel like they made Danni the favorite to the viewers throughout the season. It wasn't a shock to me when she was the #1 finalist on the episode this week. It almost feels planned.

The whole show is edited after that weigh in. Look at Bob Harper's beard when he makes commentary throughout the season. It has been scruffy for that commentary all season, but is just now scruffy when he is with other people. So, yes, it is edited to make Danni likeable and to show Gina's worst side so people are actually happy about her not being a finalist.
  • lfergurson1
    lfergurson1 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    As much as I watch the show there is most certainly cover ups lies and who knows whatelse... Its good entertainment and society as a whole can benefit from at least believing they can accomplish weight loss. Most of us cant leave our jobs for months work out for 4-6 hours a day and have personal trainers doctors and anyone else at their beck and call.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    The Biggest Loser does 2 weeks in one (as far as I know), so it's more like 22 weeks than 11 :)
    Even gaining 19lbs of muscle in 22 weeks would be nearly impossible. They said she had set a new record.

Casey Viator did it in a controlled study and Tim Ferriss replicated it, but both were eating like it was their job.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/timothyf.htm

http://stronglifts.com/colorado-experiment-casey-viator-arthur-jones/

Somehow her body must have been converting her fat into fuel to gain lean body mass, because we can assume she was eating at a deficit.

Stuff like this, assuming the measurements are accurate, just demonstrates that it is silly to make assumptions about what the human body can and cannot do.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    As much as I watch the show there is most certainly cover ups lies and who knows whatelse... Its good entertainment and society as a whole can benefit from at least believing they can accomplish weight loss. Most of us cant leave our jobs for months work out for 4-6 hours a day and have personal trainers doctors and anyone else at their beck and call.

It doesn't take nearly that much effort to lose weight. Exercise and eat well and you'll lose weight.

I'm down almost 30 lbs in the last two months. I eliminated sugar, most grains and fake sweeteners and I exercise about an hour a day 5 days a week.

If you keep making excuses for why it's impossible, you'll never even try.
  • pfgaytriot
    pfgaytriot Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    She's just going to gain it all back anyway. She did nothing but excersize for for 11 weeks, everything it going to be different whne she goes back to work.

Way to be Negative Nancy. You say your inspirations are every single person that's lost weight. Guess that doesn't include Danni or the other contestants? EVERYONE that has embarked on this journey has the potential to gain it ALL back, but we have to give them the chance to keep it off before assuming they'll falter for whatever reason. Life changes happen to ALL of us; regardless of if you're on a TV show or you're an everyday Joe Schmo. Give the contestants a chance to adjust before counting them out.

As far as Danni's muscle gain, I have my doubts, but it's undeniable that she's made a massive change to her body. Nineteen lbs of muscle in 11 weeks (or 22) is literally unbelievable. However, she, along with Jackson, continue to be my favorites.
  • Cheri_Moves
    Cheri_Moves Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    total BS. Period.

A woman gaining a small amount of muscle in a deficit is one thing.

A woman gaining 19 POUNDS of muscle in 77 days is a load. :grumble:
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    Can I just say, who cares if it inspires people to get fit?

Fat Club UK was one of the first things that inspired me to lose weight as a teenager, so I'll always be grateful for it, even if it had lies galore in it.
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    BS concocted to get ratings. That's all.

Yup