Frustration - Wife sabotages herself - women listen up

Options
I have been married for 3 years now. I am 27 (190lbs) and my wife is 22 (122lbs). She is a really wonderful, beautiful, sexy woman that I am happy I married. We have our problems like most couples do, but I think we are very lucky to have each other.

My wife has a problem that I think many women have - self confidence. I wanted to write a little about how a woman's lack in confidence is not just destructive to herself, but to those she is closest with. I hope that in some ways I can reach out and inspire women to change for the better. I also want to preface that I am in no way a master of the ways of women, and much of what I say is simply my opinion. All that said, I believe most of you will agree that loving, respecting, and appreciating one's self are unavoidably essential to happiness.

I would rather my wife be 10 lbs heavier and feel sexy, than 10lbs lighter and feel pathetic. She is so much more attractive when she acts like she is worth something, than almost anything else she can do. Thats not to say I want her to gain 50lbs, because I dont, but I do want her to feel good about herself.

I dont know if all women are like this, but for my wife, getting ready and looking presentable is important to her because that means she cares enough about herself to actually invest time in to herself. The times when she hides her hair, and puts on baggy clothes just drives me nuts, not because I dont like the up-do or baggy clothes, but because she is figuratively saying to herself "I am not pretty enough to get ready" We have gotten into arguments about her hair, and I have thrown her hair-bands away (that was wrong) so she wouldn't hide her hair. She has beautiful hair by the way.

It has gotten to the point where I can't even give her a heart felt compliment anymore, like "oh you look really pretty" or "your really good at science" or "your hair looks so nice and shiny" because she thinks I am lying. I still do because I think everyone needs positive reinforcement, and part of me just feels like saying nice things anyway.

One of the biggest places in my opinion, and most men can probably agree with me on this, that is affected by the self image problems is intimacy settings. Having your wife being hung up some self image problem while your trying to be intimate is extremely annoying and frustrating, might I add even selfish on her part. I am trying to express my love in the most sincere and sacred of ways that I have vowed not to share with anyone else, and she is worried about being fat, or not pretty enough.

This leads me directly into my next point, that is, if you self sabotage by thinking you're of no worth, it will inevitably happen. For example, my wife is worried about not being pretty enough for me. On the one hand I am flattered that she cares enough about "my opinion" (ill discuss this in the next paragraph), but after a while of her constant self belittlement, she actually starts to become less attractive to me, hence becoming what she so badly did not want to become.

Is it my opinion she is seeking approval from?. At first, I really thought she was just trying to look good for me. What can I say, I was flattered. Now I can tell you that though she does care somewhat of what I think about her,but an overwhelming majority of her feelings are concerned with the way she feels and thinks about her self. A lot of this is just transposed on to me in such a way that she is asking me what I think. I realized about a year ago that to a degree, it really didn't matter what I thought at all.

So how can this be fixed? Well, I am happy to say that this is open discussion thus helpful hints would be appreciated. What I can say is that things are getting better as far as my wife's self confidence. She's making an increased effort to get ready, workout, and maintain a healthy lifestyle. I think in doing these things, she has learned that she is worth a great deal more than she thought. Thanks for reading, feel free to respond.

Replies

• michcor
    michcor Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I'm a woman who feels more comfortable with my hair pulled back, some jeans, and a t-shirt. If my husband ever threw my hairbands away, and told me that I needed to make myself more presentable, he would not be my husband. Shame on you. She's not your trophy.

Sorry, but after reading that part, I couldn't even make it to the end.
  • IsleEsme
    IsleEsme Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    First off, you are awesome. I have great respect for any man who steps up and put thought and effort into why his wife may or may not be feeling a certain way about herself.

Is it possible your wife is suffering from some mild depression? Honestly I remember 22 being a rough age. Newly married, money is tight, still figuring out career stuff, thinking about starting a family, wondering if you can or ever will have the house you really want......it can be more overwhelming for some people than others. She's been married since she was 19-that is pretty young. She could very well be going through some personal issues-not marriage issues just inner self stuff. Does she have some sisters she could talk to or is she close to her mom? Maybe even a doc. There are some great meds on the market. Overthinking at age 22 is very common among women. It can manifest as sadness, depression, or the other spectrum...binge drinking, other things like that. I don't know your "situation" but hopefully this helps.
  • Bmunoz67
    Bmunoz67 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm a woman who feels more comfortable with my hair pulled back, some jeans, and a t-shirt. If my husband ever threw my hairbands away, and told me that I needed to make myself more presentable, he would not be my husband. Shame on you. She's not your trophy.

^^^What the above poster said.
  • atla_moves
    Options
    If you truly want to understand this, watch "Killing Us Softly 4."

And stop trying to control the way she looks. If her self-esteem really does effect her hair style choice, that's something she needs to work through and demanding she do otherwise isn't going to speed up the process. It also could just be that she's feeling lazy that day or wants to feel relaxed. I woke up with so much self confidence this morning and so chirpy that I didn't wear make-up which is unusual for me, but I suppose it could be easily misinterpreted.

Her feelings during intimacy are not selfish. They are her feelings, they are normal, and they come from a lifetime of being told that women can never be good enough or pretty enough. We don't develop these concepts and feelings in a vacuum.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    :laugh: I could hardly get past the tossing of the headbands too.

I *did* get through your post though. :huh: point taken. :wink:
  • My0WNinspiration
    My0WNinspiration Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    I thought his post was awesome. Kudos OP.
  • TooLeftFeet
    TooLeftFeet Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Keep telling her shes pretty. Do little things to show her (like a silky but not just for you nightgown ;). Leave her little notes. I am at a perfectly healthy weight, but like your wife, I don't feel pretty in my own skin. My husband sees me differently. He recently bought me a matching bra and panty set and left a note that said he hoped it made me feel as pretty as he thinks I look. The token gesture wax wonderful and really made me smile from the inside out. Perhaps you could try something like this instead of her hair ties (I get it-you were mad;). Best of luck. Just be there. (And for the record, u will never see myself the way my husband sees me. And I don't always believe him. But I DO believe that he believes what he sees in me ;)
  • diabloben68
    Options

It is quite possible that one of us or both of us is missing the point. My point is that I really don't care what she looks like, as long as she cares about her self.

What I think you are getting at is that I want her to look a certain way, therefore I throw away her headbands etc.
  • diabloben68
    Options
    Keep telling her shes pretty. Do little things to show her (like a silky but not just for you nightgown ;). Leave her little notes. I am at a perfectly healthy weight, but like your wife, I don't feel pretty in my own skin. My husband sees me differently. He recently bought me a matching bra and panty set and left a note that said he hoped it made me feel as pretty as he thinks I look. The token gesture wax wonderful and really made me smile from the inside out. Perhaps you could try something like this instead of her hair ties (I get it-you were mad;). Best of luck. Just be there. (And for the record, u will never see myself the way my husband sees me. And I don't always believe him. But I DO believe that he believes what he sees in me ;)

Very inciteful, thank you. I believe I am still a novice with the marriage thing, so I think these are good ideas!
  • rebelate
    rebelate Posts: 218 Member
    Options

THIS!

Do you think you throwing away her hair ties has pushed her into believing she's only "pretty" when she's wearing make up, or done up for you? Or maybe she's feeling uncomfortable and pushed into intimacy?

Eating healthy, and working out aren't the only thing that makes someone feel good about themselves. Be patient. Give her support. Listen. Do not give your opinion unless she asks for it. Do not make statements about how her actions make you feel bad, or less attracted to her. Ask her what you can do to help her feel supported, and safe.
  • TooLeftFeet
    TooLeftFeet Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    You're welcome:flowerforyou: We've bend married 7 years but have been friends for nearly 20. Just be her friend is my best advice.
  • Pimpmonkey
    Pimpmonkey Posts: 566
    Options
    If you can't be bothered to read the whole post, why bother to respond?
  • Andyandyandyandyandy
    Andyandyandyandyandy Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I feel like some people didn't get the point of this post. Jealous maybe.

You sound like a great husband and if you keep on telling her she's pretty, even if she doesn't believe you, and do little things that show her you mean what you say it will go a long way. Perhaps explain to her why your concern about her under dressing (although do realize that sometimes we just don't feel like putting in the effort) and make sure that she gets as much encouragement as possible in whatever it is she is dealing with.
  • MeanSophieCat
    MeanSophieCat Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Self-esteem is about a lot more than just how she looks but seems to manifest in appearance for women. One of the best definitions I heard about self-confidence is that a person with good self-confidence believes they can take on anything life throws at them. That they are capable and know it.

Your wife is young. You are relatively newly married. She is probably adjusting to finishing school or is early in her career. These are all huge things that can prey on a woman's self-confidence. Maybe she wont' be able to be the wife you need. Maybe she won't be successful in life. Maybe, maybe, maybe....

Pretty soon that lack of confidence creeps into every part of your life. Work on her confidence overall. Some people (not even just men) are fixers. You love her so much you want to fix her problems. The issue with that is she then believes she isn't capable of fixing them herself. Let her try - and likely succeed. She will feel capable and confident about every part of her life.

Maybe she'll need some additional help. Maybe this is something she can do with just your support or the support of friends/family. Whatever way it happens - it is totally normal. It is only a problem when it gets in the way of her living her life.
  • CCusedtodance
    CCusedtodance Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Sorry to inform you; however your wife doesn't need your expectations to be a "trophy" or "perfect" looking wife all the time. Perhaps she is suffering and experiencing doubt due to your expectations? Did you ever consider that you convey to her that she is expected to look 100% all the time and when she doesn't she sees it in your eyes? Men comb their hair and put on their clothes to go somewhere, but women have five times that to get to the Barbi doll look men love. It gets old and it is WAY TO MUCH to expect from your wife every day.
  • diabloben68
    Options
    Pretty soon that lack of confidence creeps into every part of your life. Work on her confidence overall. Some people (not even just men) are fixers. You love her so much you want to fix her problems. The issue with that is she then believes she isn't capable of fixing them herself. Let her try - and likely succeed. She will feel capable and confident about every part of her life.

I like what you said, I agree that I probably take on the fixer role more than I should. I have got plenty of my own problems to be trying to fix hers all the time lol.
  • WAnnB
    WAnnB Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I haven't read the whole thing but I think you have some insight there. Every time my husband sends out a text to me or anyone else, at the bottom it says 'My Wife is Beautiful'. I don't know how long he has had that but I am starting to believe it. It is really hard for me to believe it. I would think that he is just trying to convince me that he believes it. And, yes, my confidence is increasing with how I feel about myself. (My weight loss has had a lot to do with how I feel about myself)

Don't have time now. Will finish reading it later.
  • SiempreBella
    SiempreBella Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    You can't change her mind. The only person who will be able to fix it is herself. Which is hard, changing the mind is a complex thing. But by changing behavior, it changes the mind.
  • Gracerrr
    Gracerrr Posts: 141
    Options
    Hmm, my husband loves that I don't dress up because it says that I don't base my self worth on societal norms and gender stereotypes. That's not to say that I never have my insecure moments, but I am comfortable in our relationship and I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that my spouse finds me hot! So, pretty much the opposite of what you said when it comes to dressing down.

And about taking compliments, that's actually really hard for a lot of women to do. Females are taught from a very early age that they must be humble and self-deprecating. There have been quite a few studies and articles written about this. It will certainly take some time to reverse that gender norm....if ever.
  • akitagirl78
    akitagirl78 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Why don't you just have your wife read your post and listen to what she has to say....