WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2013

Options

Replies

• jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    bump for tomorrow. Nothing to say tonight except that I was a good girl today. Nursing home day tomorrow
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Bump to save my place.
  • LindaS175
    LindaS175 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies,:flowerforyou:
    Oh my DD#1 and I are sick with colds. So, just taking it easy today other than necessary grocery shopping.I hope to be feeling better tomorrow so I can make it to the gym!
    I am working on getting DD#1 to crop a picture of me so I can put a face on here!I had some things to say, but now I cant remember what I was going to say!! GRR I guess the head pressure is too much!!:laugh:
    Oh, I remember one thing. If any of you have bought the Gloria Vanderbilt jeans from Costco, how the heck does the sizing go?
    I have my 20w( I was in a 24w when I started) and then I have a pair of 18s. The 18s are ok in the legs its just the mid section that doesn't zip up!! Does the sizing go to 18w, 16w etc or just 20 w to 18? I tried to find out by looking on the web, but was not successful. These are the 18s that I had to lay on the bed to zip up. I had to get the kitchen rubber pad to pull up the zipper, as it was cutting into my fingers. All the dogs were on the bed, wondering why I was making those funny noises! I did wear them, with a big shirt over the muffin top. Ha, HA I won!!:bigsmile: I have not worn them since.
    Anyway, My goal this month is to keep up with my family on here!You keep me motivated and for this I am forever grateful!
    Have a great Thursday tomorrow. My one day off before a 4 day stretch! :wink:
    Big hug to all!
    Amanda:flowerforyou: - hope you had a lovely day with the grand twins!

Grandmallie:flowerforyou: - your cruise sounds wonderful! How refreshing!

DeeDee:flowerforyou: - we have a Meyers lemon, Avocado, peach, apple, orange, grapefruit, cherry and pomegranate. We did have a lime tree. It was planted too close to the lemon tree and they are a mix now! Lol Glad your headache is gone!

LuAnn:flowerforyou: - thanks for the info on the book. I will have to check it out!

Jerseytamayda:flowerforyou: - welcome, this is the best place for support! Jump right in and let us know about you!

Jodios:flowerforyou: - How refreshing a trip away. I was at Hickam Air Force Base on Oahu, for a few weeks. We did the usual tourist things. Sounds like you got the vacation planned well.

Jb:flowerforyou: - ha, ha I had a good laugh when you were talking about posture and you said to stand against the wall. The only problem is that my butt gets in the way! Lol Oh, happy days on the scale moving in the right direction!

Lin-:flowerforyou: I have no idea about Dr.Furman, but it sound from what you wrote it is a vegan/vegetarian diet? My goodness how did you get off of sugar completely? Share with us if you can. Hope you had a lovely visit with you dad!

Jmkmomm:flowerforyou: - oh lack of sleep is a killer for me. My cravings go way up and I just feel hungry all the time. Hope you are feeling better!

Katla:flowerforyou: - glad you had a nice visit with DD DGD! I hope you wont be too sad after their visit!

Phyllis in Egypt-:flowerforyou: Oh how I loved Egypt when I visited. Cairo is a very, very busy place. They are lucky to have you teach them English! Nothing wrong with popcorn or any food, food is not bad or good. Food is only nutritious or non nutritious!

Robin, Bodi and Ritter:flowerforyou: . I am glad you are feeling better! I am standing up and clapping and yelling “yea Robin’’. I am so glad that you spoke to the bigger boss!!! Yea, times are a changing!!! Yahooooooo!:drinker: :drinker:

Cheryl:flowerforyou: , I have never heard the saying Irish twins! Keep up the good work with the weight loss!

Lucy:flowerforyou: - glad your are not spinning anymore!

Beth in SC:flowerforyou: - I have not had a hysterectomy, but I have gained my weight around the middle. I have never had weight around the mid section. Weight comes off, but one just has to work harder and count those calories! Please, enjoy your weekend, after all the stuff you have to accomplish to get there!

Sue in SD-:flowerforyou: So what is the estimate carb intake for the day? I can see that this way of eating would work, as one is keeping the metabolism up and burning all the time.

Kate:flowerforyou: – congrats on the closet purge. Are you getting rid of the clothes or just putting them away until next winter? I think you are getting rid of them! Come get on the train again with me! We are heading to a healthier happier place!

MA in Midlands England:flowerforyou: - loved the duck popcorn popper story!

Meg-:flowerforyou: I can just see your face now, when the students told you they already took the test! So glad that DD#1 passed the test and can go to cosmetology school!!!

Jen:flowerforyou: - glad DS is doing better!

Liz in Idaho:flowerforyou: - hope your tummy is better!

Michele:flowerforyou: - hope you enjoyed the massage and it worked!

Laura80111:flowerforyou: -glad you have a lovely visit at the airport with your family!

Jane in Colorado:flowerforyou: - yes, please vent. You need to do so! My gosh between your Dh and all those Md apts for your parents, you need a safe place to come to and vent! You need a helper! Maybe your brother , could help you financially, so you could hire someone to help you out?

Renny-:flowerforyou: tell those mechanical gremlins to leave your house this instant!!:angry:
  • wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Just a quick Hi everyone

:grumble: Work continues to be a struggle. Feel like we are drowning some days, now I have to help organise a weekly meeting with one of the OHAs with measures from the weekly feeding into the monthly (then on to the quarterly) oh for the days you could show up for work - do your "day job" then go home. Now we have so much more to deal with we are all under stress/pressure. My colleague applied for another job within the company, she's disappointed that she didn't get it, but I was a little relieved :embarassed: :embarassed: the thought of training someone new into our shared role was too much to think about.

:smile: I'm going to get my hair trimmed in my lunch hour today, the first time I've used this hairdresser, if I like it, I'll continue to go to her. I find it so hard to find a good hairdresser I move from one to another.

:noway: I should really be using this time to exercise, but I'll get a bit of a work out at lunchtime rushing to the hairdresser does that count?? I'm feeling a little better - getting more energy and not so exhausted, but still haven't taken the plunge with the exercise :embarassed:

Time to move - I wish I could win the lottery and retire from work (me an a million others! :bigsmile: )

Have a good Thursday I'll try and get back tonight.

Viv
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,780 Member
    Options
    morning ladies,
    I am up earlier than the birds and really should be getting to the gym but my left heel had me up alot last night and now that I am not walking correctly the right one i starting to hurt:angry:
    So I am sitting on the bed propped up typing away, listening to soothing music and have Homer the poodle mix curled up next to me.
    I will call the dr's office as soon as they open to see if they have any opening today after my eye exam.
    Thanks ladies,yes I am really looking forward to the cruise,it is 7 months away and I am hoping to drop a nice amount of weight if I can get the darn heel pain under control and healed..
    I am hoping everyone's troubles melt away like the spring snow~ Oh how I cant wait for the smell of grass being cut, the birds singing gaily,and all the beautiful flowers..
  • kathyszoo
    kathyszoo Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Barbie, the idea that carrying a pedometer motivates people to take more steps is food for thought. I wonder if I could get DH to carry one. :noway: Not likely. I need to remind myself that he is in charge of himself and I am in charge of me.:ohwell: :flowerforyou:

Katla in NW Oregon

Katla-I can so relate to this! I have to remind myself constantly that only he can change his habits! My DH does eat most of what I cook (except veggies, unless I disguise them really well) but other than that he has no desire to get healthier. He would rather take blood pressure and cholesterol pills than move and exercise! I try to be an abstainer on sweets but it is very hard when he is eating his oreos and ice cream sitting next to me.:grumble:

Meg-Happy Adoption Day!! Have fun celebrating!

Glenda-I'm very glad your DD is mostly ok!!:flowerforyou: . My DSD totaled her car a few years back, she actually flipped over into a ditch, and I remember the relief I felt when I saw the car and realized how much worse it could have been! She walked away with just bumps and bruises even though the whole hood of the car was smashed down into the car and glass was everywhere.

Sorry I haven't joined you lovely ladies here all week! I've been in a funk since Monday night. I actually did a ton of stress eating that night after faithfully eating good and logging all day.:frown: But, the silver lining, so to speak, was that the next day I realized 6 months ago I would have been stressing with cookies and ice cream but at least this time around was with pretzels, frozen yogurt and babybel cheese-all which wouldn't have been to bad in moderation. So, I didn't beat myself up too bad about it. I think part of my blue mood was because my mom passed away on Tuesday, several yrs. back, although I didn't consciously remember this until I called my brother to chat that day and he thought that was why I called him. This made me smile because I never usually call my brother on a week day, so it must have been my mom reminding me to stay in touch!:smile: I'm doing better now and even got in some exercise yesterday, which for those of you who know my foot and knee history, is no easy feat. And thanks to my DD using MFP now too, followed her lead and had a very yummy lunch yesterday chockfull of fruits and veggies!

:flowerforyou: Hugs and encouragement to all!

Kathy

P.S. Sorry I rambled so long!
  • ekafont
    ekafont Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Good Morning!

Judio: My DD and I went to Anthropology for the first time a couple weeks ago - We LOVED that store!! But I know what you mean about having to stick with the Clearance racks!

Beth in SC
  • Laura80111
    Laura80111 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Another lovely Thursday Vit F,

Lucy- hoping your hubby finds a job soon. I know what that's like having hubby out of work and doing home projects after 1.5 years off hubby finally got a very low paying hourly wage job last Sept...but he likes it and it's low stress so I guess that's better than nothing:ohwell:

Cheryl- I read your question about your fitbit and since I don't have one I just have no help available. I have been thinking of getting one especially now that I'm back doing the 30 day shred and have no idea how many calories I burn doing the work out...will have to give it some serious thought:huh:

jmk- in our house it goes both ways, hubby didn't want me to know how much he weighed when he started his low carbs last fall and finally told me after he'd lost #25, now he's on round two and we don't talk about it very much. When I was losing last year I didn't want him to know how much I'd weighed either as it was way too much on my 4'10.5" frame:blushing: but he could see all the rolls so I have no idea what I thought I was hiding:wink:

Jackie- I'm sure you will be able to control yourself since others will be present....enjoy the event:flowerforyou:

MA-sounds like you are attacking your 5 C's and have a great goal of keeping up with the pups on the course. I wonder how many calories you burn running around their course:huh: I'm sure it's a good burn.

Jodios- congrats on that good feeling and shopping:flowerforyou: it's one of the many things that keeps us on course to keep going...I do love to shop for clothes now too:blushing:

Tammy-love it when the hubby gives those kind of compliments:love:

JaneH- I'm looking forward to lunch tomorrow I want to see your fitbit and you can give me the "sales pitch" :wink: I'm thinking of getting one. That is a lot of Dr appts:noway: I do hope your son picks up some to give you a bit of a break.

Linda S- I have a similar receipe for cupcake lasagna only instead of noodles you use wanton wrappers...the only problem I had was that I wanted more than a serving:grumble: because they were so good.

grandmallie- never say never....I thought I'd never see those size 6's either and now I'm starting to be into 4's (I'm only 4'10.5") and in all my life I've NEVER been a 4 so it 's was such a surprise. Keep up the logging and you will see those smaller numbers a little bit at a time.:flowerforyou: Hoping the Dr is able to help with the heel pain

jen-sounds like you have a good workout and eating plan in place:drinker:

Gail- 20 years with your MIL living with you you too have earned a crown:flowerforyou: I could have handled my FIL but hubby wouldn't have been able to have his mother living with us....but my parents we would have had move in with us in a flash but before they could the Dr said that they couldn't live at a mile high (I'm in Denver Colorado) and they passed in 2009 & 2010.

Meg- congrats to your daughter on here adoption anniversary:flowerforyou: My parents celebrated my anniversary of arrival to the family Dec 28 every year and even though it was right after Christmas I always got a special present and card to celebrate and remember that I was loved and wanted.

Barbie- when I retire I want to grow up and be like you:love: 30,000 steps I can only imagine. Glad Jakes follow up was good.

Michele- you are as busy as Barbie, I'm hoping when I no longer work I'm able to have as much get up and go as you do:drinker:

Renny- yep you have a busy week going...enjoy your time with your GS:flowerforyou:

Linda- your discription of putting on the pants gave me a smile:flowerforyou: yep I remember doing that a lot because I wouldn't buy bigger sizes:blushing:

Viv- I too want to win the lottery and retire:flowerforyou: It's just a dream away:wink:

Kathy- sorry you have been in a funk but glad you are pulling through:flowerforyou: Hey that's a good change in stress eating if you do then glad it's more healthy than it would have been I'd say that's an improvement:drinker:

I did day to of the Shred and I hurt more today than yesterday. I will be glad when my body has made the adjustment and I'm able to attack the exercise in stead of just enduring it:ohwell:

I have finally finished january and am almost done with February....my goal of being current by the end of this month is in reach. I am looking forward to working in the present, it will make my work world so much better and then I will concentrate once again on keeping current with my MFP and maybe working out longer.

Last night I made Kale Chips, they are pretty good but hubby said he'd like them better if they had more flavor so I will do some experimenting with spices. I found that they are like eating air when they crunch in your mouth. But I'm wondering why is Kale supposed to be good for you?:huh: :huh: Just wondering.

I'd best get to the work around me. Payroll has to be done today as the boss leaves for a ski race and won't be in tomorrow which is a good thing it means I will get out of the office on time and be at the Red Lobster for the lunch meeting.

Have a great day....eat it and log it, move it and log it, and drink, drink and drink somemore water:drinker:

Laura80111 in Colorado:smile:
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Good Thursday morning!

Linda, I'm cracking up about your butt getting in the way while standing up against the wall LOL! I had that problem big time when I first tried doing it a couple of years ago. Try it again in a month or two, you'll probably notice a big difference!

Happy report here! Yesterday was a major milestone for me!! :bigsmile: :drinker: :bigsmile: I finally broke through a 6-month plateau and actually was able to log another pound lost, putting my weight back to 158 where it was last October. I just about fainted when I stepped on the scale!! :laugh: I've been adjusting my foods a bit this week, cutting processed flour and sugar, being super careful with logging, and look what happened. I'm convinced I'll be able to hit my 70 pound goal after all. Ahhhhhh! And get this, I fit into size 8 jeans, stretchy NYDs, but still, size 8?? What? :noway: They must run awfully big. :blushing: The size 12 Lee's fit just about right although they're a little baggy after wearing them a full day. Maybe I'll exchange the 2nd pair that I haven't worn yet and see if size 10 might be better. Time for me to take measurements again. Yes, I'm jumping for joy! :happy:

Speaking of jumping, it's time for my exercises. Yoga, weights and the Nerd Fitness routine which includes plank, push ups, squats, lunges and jumping jacks. 30 of those suckers lol.

Oh, I also wanted to mention something I read in the "Pain Free" book. Here is a list of what Egoscue calls "patterned motion busters", especially for people with desk jobs, or even those of us who sit at our computers too long, like me. :tongue:

-Reach over your head with both hands.
    -Twist laterally at the waist.
    -Turn your head all the way to the right and left.
    -Look at the ceiling.
    -Sit on the floor.
    -Kneel.
    -Flap your arms like a bird.
    -Stand on a chair.
    -Balance on one leg.

Have a great day, and hey, I think we should all do some loud squawking while we're flapping our arms like birds :laugh:

:smile: jb in Portland
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Kathy: At least DH does his share of cooking and cooks healthy foods. :bigsmile: He’s been diabetic since age 18 and has some pretty decent nutritional habits. He used to think that potatoes were the best vegetable, but he’s branched out nicely over the years.:laugh:

It is time for me to go to Yoga. I have really come to appreciate that class. I’ll try to stop by again later.:flowerforyou:

Katla in NW Oregon
  • janehadji
    janehadji Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I'm off to the orthotic place this morning. I've decided to have my old ones rebuilt for the sesamoid, instead of getting new ones made at this point. In case I end up having to do the fusion, I don't want to spend that much money for a few months of wear. New ones are $400 and rebuilding mine is $175. You ladies have been getting to my subconscious, and I'm thinking of purging my closet and going shopping. Probably a lucky thing that I don't have much time!

Linda Sundance – I’d never have thought of making lasagna in a cupcake form. Thanks for the idea! You have a lime tree??? I am SO jealous!

Grandmallie – I’m so sorry that your heel is hurting so much. I know how awful it is when you need to get around and can’t walk well. I hope you feel better quickly.

Jen – I’m curious about streaming the Netflix into your Kindle. My Kindle is the older one with the keyboard. Will this work on it, or would I need a newer version?

Meg – Congrats to your daughter, and Happy Adoption Day!!!

Barbie—They’re lucky to have you there to fill in!

Renny – Oh, my! You do have a lot going on. At least there isn’t anything left to break down! Is the Oma/Opa Greek?

Laura80111 – Glad to hear that the accounting is getting caught up – never a fun job! I’m looking forward to tomorrow, as well. I can only stay 2 hours, though, as…. another doctor appointment for Dad. I’d be happy to show you the Fitbit.

JB – Huge congratulations on breaking that plateau!!!!

Jane in Colorado
  • wessecg
    wessecg Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Congratulations JB - sounds like you and I are in the same boat. I've not really lost since December when I hit 158 then got up to 160. I was 158 last week and I am getting excited to weigh in tomorrow because I really kicked it in gear this week. I just know I am going to see 157 tomorrow. My lowest in December was 156.8 - so after this week maybe I can show a loss for this year!

Laura - I don't think the fitbit will calculate the burn for a workout. On the treadmill it determines that your steps are coming really close together so it knows you've burned more during that period, but when you're lifting or crunching or even doing the punches it won't know.

So I was looking at myself in the bathroom mirror in my bra and panties and thought - gee, I could probably not be disgusting in a two piece this year. I looked pretty good. And my face looked really young also. Then I put on my glasses :sad: :huh:

Oh, and any prayer warriors out there? My husband's brother-in-law's nephew OD'd last night on Xanax and Alcohol. He is in a coma with only 20% heart function and 25% kidney. Other organs are in distress. It's been a bad year already with kids making heinous choices recently. We are all praying hard that he pulls through.
  • LinCharpentier
    LinCharpentier Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    My I fell so far behind couldn't find the thread I had to ask Jane for help thanks jane.

Renny
    Sounds like it's pouring trouble on to you.

Linda S
    Like the Jean story i'm sure we've all been there done that. lol.

Viv
    A good hairdresser is hard to find. I like mine and sure hope she never retires lol.

Grandmaille
    Every day is one day closer to spring. And it's been a long long winter.

Kathy
    I see were your husband is a lot like mine. Very good supporters I think they love us the way we are. They are afraid of change.
    Just can't pin point why we over eat sometimes. Guess if we knew the why we wouldn't be over weight. lol.

Laura
    Winning a lottery. I think my chances are better at losing weight and getting fit.

Well that's page 9 no way of me catching up. Kept checking and couldn't find the new page. I think my topics might be full. Is there a way of deleting them.

Well I had my first gain in 16 weeks at tops last night gained 1.4 of a lb. and i'm taking care of it right now. Have to get back to some sort of exercise I haven't even been dancing around just so lazy. And down this last week need to smarten up. And only one person can do it. And she's called ME.

Here's soemthing my son sent me in Face book.

Don't cry over the past, it's gone
    Don't stress about the future, it hasn't arrived.
    Live in the present and make it beautiful.

So let's get busy and do just that.
    See you all lighter.
    Linda in Northern Ontario were the sun is shinning and days are getting longer.
  • krisann22
    krisann22 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hello I would love to join this post as I am not over 50. But one question, how do you find this group/topic again? Is there any way to mark it?

Little bit about me, Im a single mom with three kids, 2 of them still at home. Oldest is 26 and out of the house. Second is 22 and has down sydome and last is 19 and is in college. I have rhuematoid arthritis and find exercersing and losing weight extremely hard. I need to lose about 75 pounds to help my joints and to feel better. This looks like an informative and supportive group.
  • wessecg
    wessecg Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    krisann - Once you've posted on a topic, when you go to the message boards just click My Topics and you'll find us again. Beware, the topic closes at 500 responses and the link to the next one will be in one of the last messages. Welcome youngster.:flowerforyou:
  • moxie1962
    moxie1962 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    <<bouncing back from TOM<<<!! Good morning ladies and new ladies!! It is almost Friday!! Woo hoo!!

The sun is finally shining but it is a little nippy outside today. Good day for me to cook that chicken carcass up for broth, and use the meat for supper tonight.

It is just hard to log and behave when you are under the weather. So much easier to eat what I want, and curl up next to my hot pad. But now, time to get back with the program. Stationary bike time, chores, etc...and logging healthy foods. Reading everyones posts helps so much to motivate me on this end.
  • phyljen
    phyljen Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I agree with Moxie, reading all the posts really motivates me! THANKS EVERYONE!
    Today we had Kid's day ( sports Day ) at school so the kids were hyper hyper and had a blast playing all the games out on the field.
    I'm going to change my pic if I can and upload one of me and another 3rd grade teacher today at the games. Third grade all wore matching ORANGE t-shirts.
    :laugh:
    Hey I figured out how to change the photo and the one on my ticker. The ticker one was taken out at our orange groves here in Egypt. Those oranges are so delicious when picked fresh off the trees.
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Happy Thurs.
    Took the car in for front brake job,mechanic noticed brake fluid leaking from back brakes.So a 200 dollar job cost double,but still saved 200 by going to our mechanic.
    Hope everyone is doing well.
    HUGS
    jane
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,780 Member
    Options
    Well back from the dr's
    good news is I have been doing what I am supposed to be doing, she wanted to send me for physical therapy,but the way our insurance works would have been way way to expensive,so I have to ice it alot and grind the ice in till it hurts:noway:
    and instead of riding the recumbent bike I have to ride the regular stationary bike, until this gets resolves, also change out my shoes, which I have just done..
    So I will do what the good lady says and keep on keepin on.
  • ekafont
    ekafont Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I will drink my water .... I will drink my water ..... I will drink my water .....

I have been doing much better about remembering to bring my water bottle, but then I just totally forget to drink. I don't mind drinking water, so its not that I'm not drinking because I don't like it .... I just get so busy at work I forget to drink anything at all.

Jane - I'm not sure what nationality oma and opa are from, but its not Greek. We have Yiayia and Papou :wink: I think oma and opa may be German (?) but I'm not sure. But Greeks do say "OPA" a lot, but that usually involves dancing and/or drinking!! :laugh:

wessecg - you made me laugh out loud with your comment about putting on your glasses .... I can totally relate!! :glasses:

Moxie - the weather this weekend should help you get motivated! Its supposed to be BEAUTIFUL in our neck of the woods .... but of course I'll be up in Tennessee in the cold rain :grumble:

Keep posting, logging, and drinking your water!

Beth in SC