Eating Carbs Protein Fat at once makes u fat?

Options

Replies

• patsnyder89
    Options
    Is this a serious question? When you eat a hamburger you are eating fat, carbs, and protein all at once. When you eat yogurt you are eating fat, carbs, and protein all at once. Almost everything we eat contains all three of these nutrients in the same bite. What you're saying makes no sense...

i thought the same thing........lets bow our heads and pray
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,453 Member
    Options
    Your loss in those few days of eating nothing but fat was water loss from totally eliminating carbs. Not proper weight loss from eating just fat. In the longer term, eating 3000 cals daily will result in weight gain unless of course your maintenance requirements are above that.

I had already been on a ketogenic diet for 5 months at the time, and had been stuck at a plateau for over a month-and-a-half. The fast was to break the plateau, which it did. It wasn't for quick weight loss, I just wanted to get below a weight I was tired of seeing. It worked wonderfully and I've been back to losing weight for over a month. So, it had the desired effect even if those 4 days did suck :)

Though, to clarify, it was 90% fat at 1000 calories with 500 coming from butter and MCT oil (bulletproof coffee). Not 3k calories of straight up butter

So, 1000 cals daily, not 3000? If so why use 3000 as an example in your PP? Could've saved me the 30 seconds it took to write my response...
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    I have 2 servings of steel cut oats (Carbs) and one serving of Fage 2percent yougurt (Protein and some carbs) for breakfeast everymorning and it has served me well. A calorie surplus will make you fat.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Not really... your macros, and the timing of your exercise compared to those macros, will make a huge difference in whether you are burning fat or lean muscle tissue. You may still be losing weight, but the result is far from the same.

If I train like a beast I will get fat because I didn't eat at the right time of day. Sounds legit.

Nope! Stop exercising immediately!

47e35_ORIG-broscience_certified_design.jpg
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Not really... your macros, and the timing of your exercise compared to those macros, will make a huge difference in whether you are burning fat or lean muscle tissue. You may still be losing weight, but the result is far from the same.

If I train like a beast I will get fat because I didn't eat at the right time of day. Sounds legit.

Nope! Stop exercising immediately!

47e35_ORIG-broscience_certified_design.jpg
    Srsly, see the difference meal timing can make?
    farleyandswayze.jpg
  • FuzzyOatmeal
    Options
    my brain is exploding right now. how can anyone think that 90% fat is in ANY way healthy? if your Keto diet stalled out, it's because Ketogenic diets AREN'T sustainable long term, though there's nothing wrong with doing it for a short time (it mimics the winter months for a caveman)

are you sure you're not doing more harm than good to your system? have you recently had your vitals checked or your vitamin levels?

Healthy? No, I never said that. It was 4 days to break a plateau. Lots of people on different diets plateau, not just mine. My high-carb, low-fat vegetarian diet friend for example was stuck for 8 months, she fat fasted for 5 days and broke her plateau and now she's losing weight normally again. I tried everything over the course of the plateau including dropping my ketogenic diet to break my stall, nothing worked. Tried eating less (under 1k calories), eating more, sleeping more, doing more cardio, lifting weights, drinking more than a gallon of water a day. Got fed up and tried not eating at all (water fasting) and started vomiting, so I tried fat fasting. After more than a month of my weight going nowhere I was finally losing weight again.

It was bulletproof coffee for breakfast and egg & mayo deviled egg style + a multi for dinner for a couple days, doesn't seem too big a deal really. If it had made me sick like water fasting I would have stopped.

Is it for everyone or the only thing that can break someone's plateau? Not hardly, it's just something that worked for me :) Everyone should do their own research. As for how healthy I am, I have not had anything done aside from getting my blood pressure checked, but the doc said I have blood pressure that other people dream of. I've also lost 65 lbs (still have over 100 to go) since starting keto so if nothing else I'm at least better off than I was 7 months ago.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    my brain is exploding right now. how can anyone think that 90% fat is in ANY way healthy? if your Keto diet stalled out, it's because Ketogenic diets AREN'T sustainable long term, though there's nothing wrong with doing it for a short time (it mimics the winter months for a caveman)

are you sure you're not doing more harm than good to your system? have you recently had your vitals checked or your vitamin levels?

Healthy? No, I never said that. It was 4 days to break a plateau. Lots of people on different diets plateau, not just mine. My high-carb, low-fat vegetarian diet friend for example was stuck for 8 months, she fat fasted for 5 days and broke her plateau and now she's losing weight normally again. I tried everything over the course of the plateau including dropping my ketogenic diet to break my stall, nothing worked. Tried eating less (under 1k calories), eating more, sleeping more, doing more cardio, lifting weights, drinking more than a gallon of water a day. Got fed up and tried not eating at all (water fasting) and started vomiting, so I tried fat fasting. After more than a month of my weight going nowhere I was finally losing weight again.

It was bulletproof coffee for breakfast and egg & mayo deviled egg style + a multi for dinner for a couple days, doesn't seem too big a deal really. If it had made me sick like water fasting I would have stopped.

Is it for everyone or the only thing that can break someone's plateau? Not hardly, it's just something that worked for me :) Everyone should do their own research. As for how healthy I am, I have not had anything done aside from getting my blood pressure checked, but the doc said I have blood pressure that other people dream of. I've also lost 65 lbs (still have over 100 to go) since starting keto so if nothing else I'm at least better off than I was 7 months ago.
    Did I get this right? You tried 7 different things within a month, and you're convinced that only the last thing had any effect?
  • Yooperm35
    Yooperm35 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Did I get this right? You tried 7 different things within a month, and you're convinced that only the last thing had any effect?

I get confused too. Wouldn't you have to give, what you are trying to do to break a plateau, at LEAST a week - but most likely longer???
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Your loss in those few days of eating nothing but fat was water loss from totally eliminating carbs. Not proper weight loss from eating just fat. In the longer term, eating 3000 cals daily will result in weight gain unless of course your maintenance requirements are above that.

I had already been on a ketogenic diet for 5 months at the time, and had been stuck at a plateau for over a month-and-a-half. The fast was to break the plateau, which it did. It wasn't for quick weight loss, I just wanted to get below a weight I was tired of seeing. It worked wonderfully and I've been back to losing weight for over a month. So, it had the desired effect even if those 4 days did suck :)

Though, to clarify, it was 90% fat at 1000 calories with 500 coming from butter and MCT oil (bulletproof coffee). Not 3k calories of straight up butter

Wow!! The first post you've ever posted that I can say I catagorically, unequivockly agree with!! What is the world coming to?? :laugh:
  • FuzzyOatmeal
    Options

Jan 1st up to Feb 2nd was basically a mess of adding and subtracting different things. Started weight lifting and cardio with the new years crowd, no change after a week so started sleeping better and set alarms to remind me to drink water all day as well as ate less, no change after another week. Went off the ketogenic diet for about 5 days to see if a little break would help, gained 7, went back on and stopped counting calories, lost the previous 7 but my weight would not go lower. All the while still exercising almost daily. Stopped exercising on Feb 2nd and tried water fasting that morning and was sick by that evening.

Nausea alone has killed my diets in the past, so I gave myself a break and just did the ketogenic diet without counting calories 'til Feb 15th. No loss. The fat fast was just the next thing on the list, so I suppose it could have been any of the other things with a delayed reaction, but the timing was right. Kind of feeling like a crazy person after admitting doing all that bs over the course of January :P My plateau just came at the worst time ever, since I got engaged December 22nd and my wedding date was unrealistically going to be this summer, so I went a little nuts under the pressure I guess.
  • aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    It all comes down to end of the day calories and macros.... Stop overthinking things. Your not going to get fat because your meal had the wrong 'ratio'. You need to be hitting certain macros for the day, not for a meal. Just focus on balancing it at each meal.
  • servilia
    Options

Jan 1st up to Feb 2nd was basically a mess of adding and subtracting different things. Started weight lifting and cardio with the new years crowd, no change after a week so started sleeping better and set alarms to remind me to drink water all day as well as ate less, no change after another week. Went off the ketogenic diet for about 5 days to see if a little break would help, gained 7, went back on and stopped counting calories, lost the previous 7 but my weight would not go lower. All the while still exercising almost daily. Stopped exercising on Feb 2nd and tried water fasting that morning and was sick by that evening.

Nausea alone has killed my diets in the past, so I gave myself a break and just did the ketogenic diet without counting calories 'til Feb 15th. No loss. The fat fast was just the next thing on the list, so I suppose it could have been any of the other things with a delayed reaction, but the timing was right. Kind of feeling like a crazy person after admitting doing all that bs over the course of January :P My plateau just came at the worst time ever, since I got engaged December 22nd and my wedding date was unrealistically going to be this summer, so I went a little nuts under the pressure I guess.

On your fat fast were you eating 1000 cals a day or 3000 cals a day? You stated in the first post I responded to that "you could lose weight eating 3000 cals of just fat". So were you really eating 3000 cals of fat, or were you eating 1000 and just using 3000 as an example in your post?
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    Its normal to go weeks at a time without loss. That doesn't mean you need to the try 7 crazy methods to jump start it. Patience is a wonderful thing. Additionally, you didn't give ANY of those methods the proper amount of time to see if they would work. Any time you make a drastic change your body goes through an adjustment period. There was - IMHO - no reason for you to embark on that fat fast, and I would never recommend others do it. As someone else said, you have no proof it was even THAT that made a difference!
  • FuzzyOatmeal
    Options
    On your fat fast were you eating 1000 cals a day or 3000 cals a day? You stated in the first post I responded to that "you could lose weight eating 3000 cals of just fat". So were you really eating 3000 cals of fat, or were you eating 1000 and just using 3000 as an example in your post?

Oh, I never meant that I had experience eating 3k calories LOL. "366to266" said that on page 1, that wasn't me. The only experience I was talking about was the effect that kind of a diet has on ..ahem, bowel movements. Think we got a little mixed up, my bad for not noticing ^^;
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Its normal to go weeks at a time without loss. That doesn't mean you need to the try 7 crazy methods to jump start it. Patience is a wonderful thing. Additionally, you didn't give ANY of those methods the proper amount of time to see if they would work. Any time you make a drastic change your body goes through an adjustment period. There was - IMHO - no reason for you to embark on that fat fast, and I would never recommend others do it. As someone else said, you have no proof it was even THAT that made a difference!

And yet again!! In the same thread!!
  • servilia
    Options

Oh, I never meant that I had experience eating 3k calories LOL. "366to266" said that on page 1, that wasn't me. The only experience I was talking about was the effect that kind of a diet has on ..ahem, bowel movements. Think we got a little mixed up, my bad for not noticing ^^;

Ooops totally my bad! Sorry!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Over consumption of calories makes you fat...not individual macro-nutrients, regardless of whether you eat them together, separate, or whatever...

This is nonsense.

If you eat nothing but fat, oil, lard, etc, say, 3000 calories a day you will LOSE weight.

320sw744520.gif

Ummm....ok. Can I have whatever you're smoking.
  • FuzzyOatmeal
    Options

You could be right, I wont deny that. The human body is far too complex and for all I know it could have been stress causing my stall the entire time. Maybe it wasn't what worked for my friend or lots of Redditors that have tried it: http://www.reddit.com/search?q="fat+fast" (where I heard about it originally), maybe it was really good timing all around. I cannot know. BUT at the same time I feel as though there could have been worse things for me to have landed on trying, some of my friends have tried stuff that makes my month and a half sound sane haha. I am just happy to be losing weight again.
  • Jonesie1984
    Jonesie1984 Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Ridiculousness.
  • tabinmaine
    tabinmaine Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    did anyone stop to notice that the young lady who posted the original post wants to lose 10lbs in 10wks ?

And maybe she does not need to ? If that is a recent pic ??