How do you suppress your hunger pangs?

Options

Replies

• AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I reduce my intake slowly and in a healthy manner so I don't really get hunger pangs.

QFT
  • HJMAYES
    HJMAYES Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I eat.
  • tabinmaine
    tabinmaine Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I do this CRAZY thing when I am hungry........ I EAT !! Imagine that ! *face palm*
  • Factory_Reset
    Factory_Reset Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    I eat. Often.
  • XtyAnn17
    XtyAnn17 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Drink water & keep busy
  • determined_erin
    determined_erin Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    - Chew gum
    - Drink water
    - Do something else to get your mind off of food (ex: take a walk, exercise, hang with friends, watch a movie)
    - Improve your food plan so that you aren't feeling so hungry (ex: allow room for snacks)
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    So when you decide to restrict intake, and there is that initial period of feeling hungry, what's the best way of ignoring or getting rid of hunger pangs without eating? :tongue:

You eat more than 1000 kcals a day, to start with. That is way too low!

What's your BMR? You should be eating at least that. To lose weight, eat TDEE minus 20% or so.

If you don't know what those are for you, then find out here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/912920-in-place-of-a-road-map-3-2013
  • ddky
    ddky Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    If they are true hunger pains, then I eat. I figure my body really needs some fuel. If its just a craving, I find something to distract me. Call a friend, take a walk, read the MFP forums, etc.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Open mouth, insert food. It's that easy.
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

She already isn't getting enough calories for the day. 1000 isn't enough for anyone. NO to the psyllium husks and lots of water, you need more food.

Hello people, quit telling girls on VLCD to drink water when they are hungry. We are not meant to be hungry, even when trying to lose weight.
    [/quote]

THIS
  • rachelannecraig
    Options
    Drinking water really helps me.
  • thatcrazykat
    thatcrazykat Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Eat more to weigh less. Also keep healthy snacks. Eating before the pang starts will help you portion control. Even a handful of carrots, blueberries, grapes, or almonds can help you from eating a full meal before it's time. Also protein is very important for me because I am always on the move. A slice of turkey and I am ready to keep going.
  • 1brokegal44
    1brokegal44 Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Drink a lot of water. I've actually found that hot herbal tea helps too.
  • Rose_bee
    Rose_bee Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    So when you decide to restrict intake, and there is that initial period of feeling hungry, what's the best way of ignoring or getting rid of hunger pangs without eating? :tongue:

You seriously need to eat MORE.

I saw in one of your other forum posts that you're 5'7", and have a goal weight of 112. That's ridiculously low for someone of your height. I don't know why you feel you need to be that skinny, but you seriously don't. Trying to be that skinny, and eating so few calories is NOT good for your health.
  • _michellle
    _michellle Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Don't starve yourself - if you feel hungry you have to eat. Eat egg whites - there's little to no calories in them. And drink a LOT of water. With your meals, and when you're not eating. It will help you fill up.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    SMH!!!!!! :noway: Can't believe how many people on here are willing to offer "helpful" suggestions to someone who is undereating to help them do it! No one should be eating 1,000 calories a day and you all are advising her on how to keep doing it! Absolutely amazing!
  • rockon77
    rockon77 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    SMH!!!!!! :noway: Can't believe how many people on here are willing to offer "helpful" suggestions to someone who is undereating to help them do it! No one should be eating 1,000 calories a day and you all are advising her on how to keep doing it! Absolutely amazing!

Many people on MFP are here because they never knew what hunger felt like. They eat and eat because food is fun, tastes good, a cycle, helps emotions, or whatever the reason. I think people will feel hunger if they stop binging and unhealthy habits. Now, if she is just not eating enough calories, that is a different story. However, I think it is okay to post positive ideas so that people who binge can stop.
  • bethany41h
    bethany41h Posts: 218
    Options
    Water, water, water and MORE water :)
  • peasantsong
    peasantsong Posts: 107 Member
    Options

Pardon me for not checking her diary before responding with my helpful advice! I tend to assume that most people here are reasonable adults who don't starve themselves so I'm not about to check everyone's diaries before I respond to them. If someone wants to starve themselves, I don't think it's a good idea but that's their deal.
  • RunningRichelle
    RunningRichelle Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I pretty much agree with everyone above. In addition, I have a few things to add.

1. Are you getting enough sleep? Adults need a minimum of 7-8hrs per night. Shorting yourself on even 80mins of sleep makes you hungry enough the next day to eat an extra 500 calories.
    2. Are you actually hungry? Ask yourself if you would be willing to eat vegetables or fruit to satisfy your hunger pang. If the answer is yes, go for the veggies and fruits! If the answer is no, then you're more likely having a craving than actual hunger. What I do in this situation is grab 3 or 4 capsules of psyllium husks (available at walmart for maybe$2-$3 for a bottle of 180) and down 'em with 8-12oz of water. The psyllium is fiber, and it expands in your stomach and makes you feel fuller. That usually takes care of my hunger pangs, especially if I didn't get to sleep enough the night before! Of course you should never do this instead of making sure you are getting enough calories in for the day.

Hope this helps.

She already isn't getting enough calories for the day. 1000 isn't enough for anyone. NO to the psyllium husks and lots of water, you need more food.

Hello people, quit telling girls on VLCD to drink water when they are hungry. We are not meant to be hungry, even when trying to lose weight.

Did you not see that I said NOT to do this if you aren't already getting enough calories in for the day? My bad for not looking at the diary. Chill pill buddy. I eat 1800-2200cals a day and if I'm sleep deprived I am a HANGRY *kitten*. Luckily I'm not hangry right now. :-)

OP- bump up those calories and you won't have to deal with so many hunger pangs :-)