Your Parents Named you What?!!

Options

Replies

• paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,022 Member
    Options
    I think some posters have been trolled - the L-a (ledasha) and Orangejello/lemonjello twins urban myths have been around for ages - yet every thread like this on every forum has someone who knows a friend of a friend called them.

Some of this must be a cultural thing - I am in Australia, someone mentioned our different pronounciation of r's - quite true, I believe - but Taylah is not at all an unusual name here, Zoe is in top 20, very common.

A few other names mentioned on here: Hunter, Josiah, Zelda, Winter - dont seem that weird to me. Not common but not weird either.
    Someone mentioned a lady called Bronwyn - that seems downright ordinary, not even borderline weird or unusual
    is it really not a commonly used name in USA? - is very common here in about 30 + age group.

Someone else mentioned Candy Graham and Sharon Peters - either I am missing something or there is a cultural divide - cannot see anything wrong with these names at all?
  • pudadough
    pudadough Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who named one son Gatsby (as in The Great) and the other Guthrie (as in Woody.)

I'm hoping she has a third boy and names him Garfunkel.

Freaking hipsters...:grumble:
  • livingwithlam
    Options
    There was a teacher in my school named Mr. Weiner.

Harry Weiner.

Poor guy. :(
  • MySlimGoals
    MySlimGoals Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    There was a girl in the town I used to live in called Star Power. Her last name really was Power - don't know what her parents were thinking naming her Star though.
  • RainHoward
    RainHoward Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I'm offended. Nothing wrong with these names.
  • musycnlyrics
    musycnlyrics Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    A woman (whose name is Sunday) named her daughters Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow
    Last name Jones.
    -__-

Also met:
    Lafreda
    Carrie Moos (pronounced like what the cow says, high school must have been hard for her!)
    Lapatrice (pronouced La-pay-triss)
    Marquavious
    Savannah Sunshine

(I work with the public so I see a lot of weird names...some of them make me laugh out loud)
  • lobster888
    lobster888 Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    I also know several guys named Michele -- some just used Michael and other used Mitchell or Mitch!!

That's not weird. That's French.
    Exactly!

I've known men named Kelly, Stacy, Tracy, Shannon, Kim and Robin

Not the best choices for American men though....(my boss is a male Shannan, and he said he got beat up as a kid for it).

"I' know it's French - but like poster above not the best choice for American men - kids in school don't know it's French - they just think it's a girls name. Ask any guy named Michele!!!
  • Wonderwoman2677
    Wonderwoman2677 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I think some posters have been trolled - the L-a (ledasha) and Orangejello/lemonjello twins urban myths have been around for ages - yet every thread like this on every forum has someone who knows a friend of a friend called them.

Some of this must be a cultural thing - I am in Australia, someone mentioned our different pronounciation of r's - quite true, I believe - but Taylah is not at all an unusual name here, Zoe is in top 20, very common.

A few other names mentioned on here: Hunter, Josiah, Zelda, Winter - dont seem that weird to me. Not common but not weird either.
    Someone mentioned a lady called Bronwyn - that seems downright ordinary, not even borderline weird or unusual
    is it really not a commonly used name in USA? - is very common here in about 30 + age group.

Someone else mentioned Candy Graham and Sharon Peters - either I am missing something or there is a cultural divide - cannot see anything wrong with these names at all?

Bronwyn is not weird, but not common in the USA. A Candy Gram is a singing telegram, sometimes with a sexual overtone. I don't get the Sharon Peters thing either. :ohwell:
  • Laurayinz
    Laurayinz Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    I don't get the Sharon Peters thing either. :ohwell:
    Sharon...Sharing...?
  • arizonaladybug
    arizonaladybug Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Hunter Burkey. military guy so its always backwards. Burkey, Hunter. LOL it was like right around thanksgiving when I saw this.LMAO
  • Going4Lean
    Going4Lean Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    confesora is my granmothers, but she changed it
    Ladislao is my dad
  • Kayla_292to165
    Kayla_292to165 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Richard Dragon...I saw mail for him all the time..his wife? Mary Dragon....Mary and **** Dragon.
  • devan33
    devan33 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    My childhood neighbor's dad's name is Richard Smallwood. He actually ran a local park/ball parks. It never struck me funny until I was an adult and someone was talking about this park and asked who ran it and I said D1ck Smallwood and they died laughing...

I went to school with a boy named Steve Fawcett...one day they called him over the loud speaker as Walter Fawcett...we had no idea that he went by his middle name...but we understood...lol I also went to middle school with a guy named Mike Fountain who always said he would name his kid Walter...last year my sister text me to ask me if I knew him because his wife was getting physical therapy where my sister works..and I said yea..ask if they have a son named Walter..they did have a son, but thankfully she wouldn't let Mike name the son Walter...haha
  • jacklis
    jacklis Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    The worst one I ever heard was not an American, but he called me for something from my company's Tokyo office. I have no idea the spelling, but the name was pronounced "Itchy Coochie". Lucky for me, he left a voice mail, so I could call and play it every time I was out drinking with friends....I think I kept that message for a good year..."Hello-a-Heidi...thisa itchy coochie"

This is the best .:laugh: :sad:
  • Runninglibrarian13
    Runninglibrarian13 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I was friends with a set of twins... Beth and Jenny Woods... met them when I was about 7.

So I think I can be forgiven when I was I bust a gut laughing when their father introduced himself to me. "Hi, my name is Forrest"
  • Paganrosemama
    Paganrosemama Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    A good friend of mine in high school was Misty Woods. She had a lot of trouble finding jobs, but was glad she wasn't a boy.Her Mom had said that if she would have been a boy, It would have been named Loston.
  • jenn_sullivan
    Options
    Real doctor names:

Dr. Love (cardiologist)
    Dr. Schpritz (urologist)
    Dr. Di(ana) Mort (oncologist)
    Dr. Slaughter (surgeon)
    Dr. Zipper (urologist)
    Dr. Moorkath (cardiologist)
    Dr. Klutz (surgeon)
    Dr. Richard Chopp (urologist)
    Dr. Blinder (opthamologist)
    Dr. Nudelman (urologist)
    Dr. Butt (gastroenterologist)
    Dr. Redwood (urologist)

I work with a Dr. Funk lol

Psychiatrist?

My uncle always told me I should be a surgeon... maiden name is Butcher :)
    Also the dentists Named : Payne, Pullar and Yanks!

My OBGYN is named Dr. Clapp. There is orthodonist in town named Ken Hurt. His motto "It's just my name, not my intention".
  • klbaierwalter
    klbaierwalter Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Country Musick (true story, his wedding announcement was in our paper) Mr. & Mrs. Country Musick

Darke Sage Greene (a kid from a rival high school of ours)

Anna Lee (think about it)

A woman in a hospital here in our town named her daughter Gonorrhea because she saw it on a sign, didn't know what it was, and thought it sounded pretty.

My friend from college has a sister who is a nurse and she was helping take care of a mother who just had a little one. The baby's name...Crucifix!
  • aaronlawrenc
    aaronlawrenc Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    ABCDE- pronounced, Ab-sid-ee

*kitten* Brown- pronounced, Ash-O-lee Brown no bullsh*t
  • curvymomo3
    curvymomo3 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    LMAO great thread!!!

There was this kid in High school no joke...

Richard Scott Wood

LMAO he liked to be called **** too! teehee