What do you all do with canned salmon?

Options
Hey, I've been thinking about trying canned salmon. Living in the midwest, frozen salmon is expensive as is the "fresh" salmon of which I'm pretty dubious. So here are my two questions:

1. Is canned salmon tasty? Like is is fishy and nasty or is it delicious? For the record, I do not particularly like canned tuna.
2. If the answer to question #1 is "yes, canned salmon is tasty," then what kinds of things could I do with it?

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• emileee99
    Options
    I'd have to say canned salmon tastes pretty "fishy" to me, more so than canned tuna. I eat it occasionally because it's good for me. My mom used to make salmon patties (kind of like a cheaper crab cake) which I didn't care for. I do like smoked salmon dip made with cream cheese (substitute low fat) and liquid smoke. Other than that, I usually just make up a little salad with light mayo.

Good luck! :)
  • salcha76
    salcha76 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    treat it somewhat as a base, like a hamburger....

i add eqq whites & seasonings to mine...onion/parsley/garlic.....make a patty & you can dip them in panco or a bread crumb....bake or lightly fri w/spray pam...top w/marinara sauce or i eat mine w/a creamed spinach....yum! my 10 year old son calls them crabby patties & we eat them on bagel flats w/pepperjack cheese....
  • wikitbikit
    wikitbikit Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    We just make Salmon Delight instead of Tuna Delight with it-- you know, noodles, peas, canned soup, cheese, etc.

man that was so dull, I shouldn't even post.

Be sure to always buy wild-caught salmon, though!
  • squeakyfish
    squeakyfish Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    1. Nasty
    2. Feed it to the dogs. Seriously, I tried to make a salmon salad and it was inedible. The dogs appreciated it, however.
  • iggyboo93
    iggyboo93 Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Salmon patties are awesome. I generally throw a can of drained deboned salmon, a couple eggs, some saltine crackers and a little dill together and fry them up on the stove but that's over 400 calories per patty (I usually get 5 patties out of one recipe).

This recipe calls for baking the patties - I haven't tried it but the patties are reported to be 84 calories each at 6 servings.

http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=1033367

Regarding the smell - yah - it's somewhat fishy smelling but not terrible. Fresh salmon is incredible - completely different than the canned stuff.
  • Calantorntain
    Calantorntain Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Delicious canned salmon dip!

Ingredients
    1. Can of salmon, skin and bones removed
    2. Dot of olive oil (or oil of choice)
    3. Celery (diced, and in sticks)
    4. A few big scoops of fat free greek yogurt
    5. Sriracha
    6. Freshly ground black pepper

Steps
    1. In a pan on the stove, heat up a tiny bit of oil, then add salmon. Dry it out/cook it for a while
    2. Let cool
    3. Mix all ingredients except for celery sticks together well. Proportion as desired
    4. Eat the dip by using the celery sticks as dippers

There is mad protein in this, and healthy fats!
  • Annieapple12
    Annieapple12 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I love it but it is a fish so obviously it tastes fishy. I have it in a sandwich or wrap mixed with greek yoghurt lemon and pepper. Or just in a salad.
  • psych0kitty
    psych0kitty Posts: 313
    Options
    Fresh salmon is incredible.

Oh I know. I wish I could have it all the time. My fave is to get a whole de-boned fish, stuff it with lemon slices and fresh herbs, and throw it on the grill.

Canned is really different, though, huh?

Thanks for all the recipes so far. Please keep them coming!
  • JonnyR214
    JonnyR214 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    well it tastes weird, and for me i sorta taste the metal from the can in it as well o.0
    i just eat it with some whole wheat bread and beans
  • nikb1983
    nikb1983 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I tend to leave it at the store...not a fan of canned fish... :sick:
  • sbbhbm
    sbbhbm Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I feed it to my cat. Ick.
  • ashleyoh33
    ashleyoh33 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I don't find it any fishier than frozen or fresh salmon. I make a patty out of it. Egg whites and seasonings and a couple saltines or some bread crumbs to bind it all together. I cook it on the george forman and top it with ketchup (yes, ketchup haha). My mom used to make them when I was younger but of course hers were fried in oil so i adapted mine to be grilled. One recommendation: clean the salmon before you eat it. The spine is in the can as is skin. I throw away all of the pieces that arent pink haha. I buy Deming's pink salmon.
  • psych0kitty
    Options
    I feed it to my cat. Ick.

My Little Booger™ is the only reason I have canned tuna in the house.

I wish there were an easier, cheaper way to get fresh salmon out here. Curse you midwest!
  • kathyms13
    kathyms13 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    it was a sunday treat when i was a kid in sandwiches with cucumber. yummy i love it, cors its fishy its a fish.
  • Dee_84
    Dee_84 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Watch out, what kind you get. The small can are usually without skin and bones, and the bigger (and cheaper) cans have some skin and bones in them.

I like to make salmon patties for burgers that we have with tzaziki or tartar sauce. But my favorite is a salad made with a baked and sliced sweet potato, spinach leaves, a small can of salmon and a balsamic vinaigrette *YUM*
  • psych0kitty
    Options
    I don't find it any fishier than frozen or fresh salmon. I make a patty out of it. Egg whites and seasonings and a couple saltines or some bread crumbs to bind it all together. I cook it on the george forman and top it with ketchup (yes, ketchup haha). My mom used to make them when I was younger but of course hers were fried in oil so i adapted mine to be grilled. One recommendation: clean the salmon before you eat it. The spine is in the can as is skin. I throw away all of the pieces that arent pink haha. I buy Deming's pink salmon.

Good to know! I also don't like the darker parts of fresh salmon, so that makes sense.

You sound like my husband with that darned ketchup. Hahaha.
  • opalescence
    opalescence Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Ha, I can eat it straight out of the can, well almost.

I love to make Salmon Patties.

A pack of crackers, one egg per each pack of crackers ( I usually make a few cans so I add 2 or 3 packs of crackers and eggs)
    Mix it and shape them into little patties and pan fry with some coconut oil.

I always eat one fixed patty raw and YES I know it has raw egg, I've done this since I was a little tyke and you wont get me to stop now. Eva

I also tried this method with fresh salmon and it wasnt too bad but it tasted fishier in my opinion. I like the Double Q Pink Salmon.
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    I use tinned salmon for Salmon sandwiches to take to work everyday, couldn't do that with fresh, it would be miles to expensive.
  • LisaLamb1
    LisaLamb1 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Make sure to buy "boneless, skinless wild salmon" not farmed. Mix with mayo, lemon and dill, with lettuce and tomato on ww bread.