Hummus....

Options
fishsticks913
fishsticks913 Posts: 123 Member
What do YOU do with it? I bought some for the first time tonight on a recommendation of a co-worker...but really don't know what to do with it....

Replies

• Hopeful141
    Options
    I really want to try it. How does it taste?
  • jumpingsparrow
    Options
    I eat it with crackers, pita bread, vegetables (carrots, bell peppers, cauliflower, broccoli, etc.), and sometimes I'll put it on a sandwich. My favorite is with crackers, though, because I love the crunch with the smoothness!

ETA: I also make my own because I think it tastes better than store bought and is very easy to make!
  • AshlieA96
    AshlieA96 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Yumm, so you can eat it on crackers or as a dip with veggies!
  • groversa
    groversa Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    YUM!
    I put it on my triscuit crackers :)
    Or with some tortilla chips and salsa
    OR with veggies :D

Now I might go eat some myself.. :)
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    I like to dip raw veggies (hi, baby carrots and raw red pepper), but it's also fabulous as a sandwich or burger spread!
  • fishsticks913
    fishsticks913 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    How does one make it on their own? That might be something I can handle LOL
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    I dip veggies in it or use it in a lettuce wrap in place of mayo. They have cilantro hummus at Costco that I might try as a dressing on romaine lettuce soon.
  • JennyLisT
    JennyLisT Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Pita, pita chips, other chips, carrots, and whatever else your imagination might conjure.
  • inkmonster
    Options
    pita bread or pita chips usually
  • brunetteavoxgirl
    brunetteavoxgirl Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    veggie dip, mostly.
    Although, it can be a fabulous sandwich spread.
  • jumpingsparrow
    Options
    This is my go-to that I got from a friend:

1 can chickpeas/garbonzo beans in water (preferably low-sodium/no salt added)
    1/4 c of water from the can
    juice from 1 lemon
    1 1/2 T tahini
    1 t minced garlic (or 2 garlic cloves, crushed)
    1/2 t salt
    2 T olive oil
    1 dash cayenne pepper, or to taste

Drain peas/beans except 1/4 c into measuring cup. Combine all ingredients into blender or food processor, including reserved water. Blend well for 3-5 minutes or until smooth.

I also just tried a new one that's flavored with sweet corn and roasted jalapeno: http://www.howsweeteats.com/2012/05/sweet-corn-roasted-jalapeno-hummus/
  • tnqnt
    tnqnt Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    It is basically a cold dip made of chick peas, tahini, lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper... puree in food processor...
    Then get creative and add in other things... one of my favorites is tomato basil hummus :-)

Use it also as a thick salad dressing with spinach.... any Mediterranean apps and or dishes go great with hummus :-)
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    I dip raw vegetables in it. Radishes, broccoli, carrots, sugar snap peas, etc. etc. etc. :heart: Hummus!
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    I love to dip. About once or twice a week, I make a cold plate with sliced roast beef or turkey (sandwich meat), celery, carrots, green beans, snap peas, grape tomatoes, and some hummus. It's my favorite finger-food dinner.

It makes a great salad topping.

Spread it in a pita pocket, with some diced tomatoes and cucumbers, and drizzle some Italian dressing in it.

Go full Middle-Eastern...make Falafel. Falafel balls, in a pita with hummus and salad, topped with Tahini. Heaven.

Dip crackers or pretzels in it.

Make cracker sandwiches with cheese and hummus.
  • kprep
    kprep Posts: 11
    Options
    ezekiel bread spread with pesto hummus topped with raspberries --> perfection
    if its for a snack i usually eat it with apple slices though
  • DesignGrrl
    DesignGrrl Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I like to spread it on my sandwich in lieu of cheese. Not that it tastes like cheese, but it's a good substitute.

I use a pressure cooker and start from dried chickpeas. It makes a pile of super cheap hummus!

http://www.hippressurecooking.com/2011/06/hummus-pressure-cooked-chickpea-dip.html
  • HollyHobbitToes
    HollyHobbitToes Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I spread it on naan bread and add veggies on top like a pizza...warm in the oven a few minutes and heaven! Also use it for a dip with raw veggies...YUM!
  • cynthiadmail
    cynthiadmail Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I make hummas pizzas with roasted red pepper hummus ( that's my fav hummus) on the flat breads that are 90 calories I like the pepper flat bread,with a little cheese and turkey pieces and maybe little pineapple or turkey bacon piece what ever sounds good on my hummus pizzas.Just bake till bread is crunchy and its a great fill when I want pizza.
  • Cognito1025
    Cognito1025 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    This is my go-to that I got from a friend:

1 can chickpeas/garbonzo beans in water (preferably low-sodium/no salt added)
    1/4 c of water from the can
    juice from 1 lemon
    1 1/2 T tahini
    1 t minced garlic (or 2 garlic cloves, crushed)
    1/2 t salt
    2 T olive oil
    1 dash cayenne pepper, or to taste

Drain peas/beans except 1/4 c into measuring cup. Combine all ingredients into blender or food processor, including reserved water. Blend well for 3-5 minutes or until smooth.

I also just tried a new one that's flavored with sweet corn and roasted jalapeno: http://www.howsweeteats.com/2012/05/sweet-corn-roasted-jalapeno-hummus/

I'm a professional chef, and this is dead on. Make sure you use a high quality extra virgin olive oil. I serve mine with diced roasted red pepper (do it yourself dont by canned *kitten*), olive tapanade and feta.
  • hebehrens
    hebehrens Posts: 55
    Options
    I love it with carrots and celery. I also eat it with cracker or chips. :)

Here's a recipe I just tried for the first time the other day - good, although it's a little too much garlic for my taste (might be better if you roasted the garlic first or just used 1 clove).

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/hummus-iii/