WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2013

Options

Replies

• wessecg
    wessecg Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Oma and Opa are definitely German (my husband is German and my MIL and FIL are Oma and Opa). I believe another country uses them also.
  • nanasorchid52
    Options
    Hi lovely VitF ladies!

Feel I have abandoned you for a few days but life just got in the way.

Got together with some fellow weight loss ladies today and laughter was on the menu- and it tasted delicious! Wouldn't it be great if it was easy as that?

Had a good NSV today or sort of. Went into a local thrift shop and tried on a dress - uk size 10 ( really cant work out comparisons to USA sizes)

The lady behind the counter asked to see it on and when I came outside another customer jumped in and said " make the most of it dear - you won't have that figure when you are my age" she went on and on spouting various weight / age theories - then said " it's hard when your 58. "

I nearly said well you should see my weight loss buddies ( aka VitFbuddies) Did not like to tell her I was 60! I was so hurt worked so hard to get to target. I would not of dreamt of commenting about her. Still I bought the dress and am pleased with it.

:smile: Katia - so glad you enjoyed your family visiting. Such a joy to have them eh!

:sad: Liz- sorry you aren't feeling well. Hope you soon feel well and can hit the gym again. Take time to recover.

:sad: Jmkmomm - you really are going through it lately. It's about time you had a change in fortune. Hope it comes soon for you.

:smile: Sasha: Looking forward to seeing the new haircut - really should do that too!

:smile: Grandmallie - you asked for some inspiration for exercise? There are lots of chair based exercises on you tube. You could rest the foot but keep moving? Good luck.

:smile: SallyCC - wow a yoga teacher! Glad you can't see my feeble attempts on the Wii! I'm so wobbly!

:smile: Dee dee - not the dreaded hot/cold hot/ cold nights. I call them power surges!

:smile: As a fellow shredder - good luck! My knees are planning to take a little longer than 30 days!

:smile: Lucy - so sorry your DH is not working. It's soul destroying isn't it? My DSIL has been made redundant 3 times. Luckily in work now but there but the grace god go so many people. I hope things turn around for you soon on that score.

:smile: Debrawallin welcome and good luck with the move!

:smile: Alison - have a wonderful celebration on Saturday. I love a bit if a "do"

:smile: Barbie - I'm a moderator! The minute it's banned I want it! A little of what you fancy does you good - if it stays a little! But that's the problem!

:smile: Jodie - so pleased you had your golden moment with your dress. You so deserve it! You must be toned too with all that exercise too! Well done!

:smile: Jane - you are such a lovely daughter - a stressful time for you - hang in there!

:smile: Meg - Happy adoption day to you and your family.

:smile: Exermom - good luck with the exercise - must check out a few of those- thanks!

:smile: RebelRenny - kind thoughts about follow up for mammogram - I'm still waiting for the result of mine.

:sad: Sundanceb - hope your cold is better? Sending virtual tissues and hot water bottle!

:wink: Jb - well done on the trouser success and the plateau end. Your perseverance paid off!

:sad: wessecg - my prayers for you and your family.

:smile: Linda - thanks for the poem - need to be reminded to live in the present don't we? That's why it's called the present, because it is a gift.

:smile: Krissann - welcome!!

Sorry not had time to reply to all, but that does not mean I am not willing you to success!

I just need to get going with the exercise,

Keep smiling!

Jo
    Wales UK
  • sandraschimank
    Options
    Hello Ladies!!

I am new to the program and still trying to get the logging my food in down. I am no stranger to logging in food, it is just different here than I am use too. I do so well with my eating until the evening and then it goes to the birds... Thank you all for posting on here, it is so nice to read everyones post and see that everyone has struggles, joys and thinks I can relate to at this time in my life. Also, it motivates me to work harded and continue on one step at a time. :wink:
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Meg: Happy Adoption Day. I hope you have a great time celebrating together.:flowerforyou: :heart: :flowerforyou: :heart:

Renny: My German neighbors had a visit from Opa when I was growing up. Is your grandpa German?:flowerforyou:

Wessecg: I’m moving your direction, but I’ve a ways to go before I catch up.:wink: Re Mirrors: It is obvious that you need new glasses. Your eyes see things more clearly.:bigsmile: I’ll add your husband’s relative to my prayers, and his immediate family as well..:flowerforyou:

Linda in Northern Ontario: I’ve been missing you. I hope you start posting regularly again.:flowerforyou:

phyljen: I love the picture on your ticker. You’re enriching my knowledge of Egypt. Your orange t-shirts are very bright and cheerful, too.:flowerforyou:

grandmalle: You win a ribbon for sticking to working out, even though it isn’t easy.:flowerforyou:

Jo: I thought the lady in question was complimenting you and thought you are years younger than 58. So I’d take it as a compliment all the way around, although not a graceful compliment.:tongue:

sandraschiman: In the beginning I drank sleepy time tea in the evenings and had light snacks—5 raw almonds are only 35 calories and they do a good job filling that snack itch without turning it into an avalanche. I also sometimes eat 1 piece of 78% dark chocolate for 50 calories. It doesn’t seem to call out for reinforcements in the form of more chocolate, and it has healthful antioxidant properties. If that doesn’t work for you, I’m sure you’ll find things that help and work better. I also always try to have left over calories from exercise at the end of each day so that gives me flexibility. If you’ve read the eliminator/moderator thread, I’m a moderator.:bigsmile:

I was the only student at Yoga this morning, and we worked on my injured shoulder as well as regular stretches. I’m feeling like I was really helped by this and am glad I could focus on my needs for a whole hour. Our teacher is very kind and gentle.:flowerforyou:

Have a great day.

Katla from Overcast NW Oregon
  • suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Good evening VitF’s. Had a weird day yesterday as I felt off when I woke up but went to see my eye dr. anyway. When I got home I slept two hours. Later in the afternoon I got so dizzy I couldn’t stand up. The room was spinning around. Went to bed but the bed still was spinning. The only thing I can think of is I may have been dehydrated. I’d played golf Tuesday for 5 hours and took a 40 minute walk after dinner. The girl that rode with me told me she had just gotten over the stomach flu. GRRRR.

Gail – GA – Great job on the weight loss.
    Beth – breathe, breathe, breathe. Hope all is complete and you can enjoy your weekend.
    Laura in Co – that shred is hard for me. I’m taking Jo’s advice and having a rest day in between, sometimes two!
    Jodi and Tammy – After reading both of your Wed posts, I was thinking, why don’t we compliment ourselves more.Then as we get more confident, we could have the fun experiences like shopping for smaller sizes.
    LindaS – I’ve had the PB2 chocolate for awhile and really like it. Sometimes I backslid and go to the Jiffy Crunchy.
    Meg – so happy that your DD1 passed her test. Now you’ll have an in-house hairdresser!
    Cheryl -26 lbs is amazing. Looks like we started about the same time but I’m way behind you. However, I’m way older than you also. Sending up prayers that the young man will recover.
    Renny – bad things are suppose to come in threes but looks like you’ve had more! This too shall pass.
    Kathy – my dh does the same thing with Oreos and ice cream. I never think about them until he’s sitting there asking me if I want a bite.
    Linda in Ontario – love the note your son sent. He’s right live in the present and make it beautiful.
    Tried to post but site was down. Hope this will work. Sue in TX
  • cooky56ny
    cooky56ny Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Bump 10
    Calling it a day, as I keep dozing off, catch ya all later.
  • mch1956
    mch1956 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Feeling successful today. Did not eat the wonderful looking homemade Bailey's Cream cupcakes my friend brought in to work today. Right now I need to abstain from sugar and unplanned food.
    MaryC SE WI
  • djhobs
    djhobs Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Oh Cheryl so sorry to hear about your relative...sending prayers to him and his family
    :flowerforyou: Meg - happy adoption day..what a great occassion to celebrate!
    Jane - I have the kindle fire..it works like a small tablet (i think) I am not sure the other versions do...I love it and use it all the time as an e-reader and my access to the internet

I slept through the treadmill this am:blushing: ...perhaps tomorrow...had another day of protein and veggies...the next three are a balance...it is definitely making me mix things up and be more thoughtful of choices and in Barbie's words...nutrition dense...love that verbiage...really makes me think about what I am eating...I have absolutely become lazy...hence no changes..maintaining, which is not a bad thing but some losses would be welcome.

today my mom turned 80:love: ...I never thought she would live that long..copd..but she had a great day..we are taking her to lunch Saturday and the following Saturday we are having a family dinner with many of the grandchildren and my siblings...in April my sister, a SIL and myself are taking her to see The Lion King in NYC..should be fun

Have a good night ladies...hugs and high fives
    :heart:
    jen
  • SallyCC
    SallyCC Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Hello All,
    So much goes on this board. Had a rough day today. I didn't get much sleep last night--about two hours. I was worried about my husband--he had a rough night. Tried to get in touch with the doc today and got a crazy nurse who had to speak to him. By this time, he was at work (he missed two weeks so he had to go in) and then they did n't reach him at work. So he started to feel better. We tried to call when he got home and the office was closed....I can't wait to call them tomorrow. I think he had a reaction to Claritin but I am concerned he has a UTI and with the kidney stone issue, I don't want to have a bigger problem. I stuck to my food plan and that feels great. I did not get to the gym so that is on my plan for tomorrow.

Have a good night,
    Sally
  • Poerava14
    Poerava14 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    Laura80111 and Jane H - Can't tell you how much I am looking forward to meeting you tomorrow. Sadly, I will have to hustle back to work, so can only be with you for an hour. Jane, I want to see your FitBit, too.

Jb – Congrats on breaking through the plateau. You are taking a very smart approach.

Krissann – Welcome to this community. We are all here for each other, and you will find a lot of encouragement on your journey to optimum health.

Grandmallie – Sounds like you on the way to recovery from that awful heel pain. Good luck with the ice treatments and workouts on the regular bike.

Katla – those are great tips about late night eating. Like you, I am a moderator. A little dark chocolate is a blessed thing.Key word = little...

MaryC – Good job with your discipline today. Just reading how you resisted the cupcakes gives me more resolve. Thank you for sharing.

I cooked collard greens for the first time tonight. Deeeelish!!! My DH loves vegetables and is a great sport letting me experiment on him with new foods and recipes. Homemade kale chips will be next.

Stay well, my friends.

Rori in the Colorado Foothills
  • jodios528
    jodios528 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    My DD is hanging out with her BF watching a movie and DH is chaperoning his 8th grade class at the ice rink in celebration of pi day so I finally have a couple of minutes to catch up with you all. I’ve missed this thread.:smile:

Eating right has been a bit challenging with DD home and the scale reflected that this morning. :grumble: Yesterday we went to Chipotle for lunch and I made her favorite for dinner: beer can chicken, roasted parmesan asparagus and peach bread pudding….yummy but high in calories even though I skinnied down the recipes. :happy:

DS will be home tomorrow night. So excited. :love: We need to pack some pounds on him as he is a bit underweight…another challenge. I’ve been pretty good all day and burned a good amount of calories so hopefully I’m getting back on track. :drinker:

Amazing how quickly you can put it on and how slowly (and with such difficulty) it comes off.:grumble:

I’m pages behind so I’m just going to look at the last couple before I run out of time. So forgive me if I don’t respond to everyone.

Sundance – hope you and DD are feeling better. Got to say got quite a laugh out of your jeans story:laugh: . I love Meyer lemons. I saw on-line that you can grow them in patio planters and they will survive the harsh Mid-West winter if you move it into your garage in the cold weather. I think that’s what I’m going to ask for my b-day gift.

Laura80111 – I think you may be the one person I’m actually taller than. I used to be 5’1’’ and a smidge but I seem to be shrinking (because I don’t think everyone else is getting taller). :wink: There is definitely not a lot of room to put any extra weight on this short frame! I roast my Kale with garlic…frankly DH likes it better than me. There are suppose to be a ton of nutrients in there and practically no calories. I’m still trying to like it.:tongue:

Jb – congrats on breaking that plateau:flowerforyou:

Cheryl – first you make me laugh with your mirror/underwear story :laugh: and then cry with your BIL nephew new:sad: s…I will pray for him

Grandmallie – how is the foot. I did an upper body “kick”boxing routine last week – lots of punches and ab twists and crunches…maybe that will work for you while you heel is acting up. My HR really got up there and I broke a sweat.

Jo – sounds like you had a great shopping day too!:drinker:

Katia – I private yoga lesson - how wonderful:smile:

Sue in TX – hope you are feeling better.:sick:

Jen – happy b-day to your mom…sounds like you have some great celebrations planned. We took our kids to see Lion King years ago. It was amazing. I have to admit though I missed part of the performance watching them being mesmerized.:bigsmile:

Sally – I hope your DH is feeling better. UTI’s and kidney stones can be serious – I have a friend in the hospital right now with an infection because of complications from a kidney stone. Hope all is well and it is nothing serious. :ohwell: BTW I’m a yoga teacher as well. I just teach on the weekends right now but hope I can teach more when I retire (although that won’t be for awhile).

Tammy – don’t you love it when someone notices and then compliments you on the weight loss. I know it really bouys me up:flowerforyou:

DH just called from the ice rink. They are serving pizza and everyone is eating except him. I called for moral support and will power. I don't know if I succeeded but at least he is attempting to resist:grumble:

Colorado ladies - have a great lunch tomorrow!

Everyone have a great evening! Jodios
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Good night all!
    Just finished cooking meals for a family in need-2 kinds of meat loaves,meatballs,stuffed peppers,sausage and peppers,corn bread ,rice,chicken,and a crock pot of pork to slow cook.
    HUGS
    jane
  • RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Oma and Opa is Dutch for grandma and grandpa. Although I am certain other languages use the same, to clarify: we are of Dutch descent.

ttyl

:heart: Renny
    Vancouver Island, BC
  • brookehe
    brookehe Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Just a little check-in (rant) first = then follow-ups:

I know I’m in a minority, but can others out there chime in please? This stupid, tiresome menses/TOM c—p is getting soooo old! Bloating, weight gain, cravings, MOODINESS, cravings, weight gain --- you get the picture. I was hoping I’d be over this by now. High on weight loss last week, depressed and bloated this week =:cry:

Okay now (enough whining/moaning)::sad:

Suebdew – hope your “spinning” has improved and you feel better!

Mch1956 – wow, such restraint re: the Bailey’s Cupcakes = Kudos!

Djhobs – Happy b-day to Mom!!! (my mom had COPD too, so I get it)

SallyCC – sorry you had a rough night, hope you and DH feel and are better soon

Rori (and Laura and Jane) – looking forward to lunch, no matter the length (will bring yummy greens/kale recipes)

Sorry so short, did I mention MOODINESS?????????????? :mad:

Brooke from Colorado :blushing:
  • 50ishFoodie
    50ishFoodie Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I wrote responses to everyone last weekend, and the post was filled so I didn't get to put them up. :grumble: Now, it's almost a week later and won't have time to catch up with everyone until I get back from vacation. My apologies to everyone. What a crazy week. Went shooting with friends on Saturday, worked 8 hours on Sunday, and 10-hour days the rest of the week. Have more work on Saturday morning before final preps for vacation. Bless my DH. :heart: He's done the house cleaning, made arrangements for cat care, and all those other things that need to be done before a trip. I've only cooked. Very little time for exercise, sadly, but hope to put on mega miles next week in Disney World.:bigsmile:

A couple days ago, a friend from work was found lying alongside the road a couple blocks from work, early in the AM suffering from severe brain trauma. No one is sure how/what happened.; cops are being quiet. He just turned 21 and is the sweetest kid. In a coma right now and not expected to live through the night. A blow to all of us. :cry:

My goal during vacation is to keep focused on healthy food choices. Activity will take care of itself, I think. Good logging, and happy workouts to all.:smile: This time next week I'll be wearing ears! :wink:
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,383 Member
    Options
    Renny - do hope grandson's ears are better. Even if you have to give him the eardrops, it's worth it. I had a follow up for one of my mammo's a while ago and I was really scared because I've had lots of fibroadinomas. Well, it turned out to be nothing. I do hope things turn better for you, they will this weekend, that's for sure.

Kathy - are you SURE your dh and mine aren't related. Vince's theory of why he eats bacon -- to give his cholesterol med something to do....lol He and I are so totally different, I don't want to take a pill unless I absolutely must, he, on the other hand, seems to think that there's something real special about having bottles and bottles of pills. One problem is that when the kids call with a medical question, usually I don't have anything to refer to but he usually does. I try to buy only cookies that he'll eat (that I really don't care for) and once the weather gets warmer, I'll have the Arctic Zero ice cream while he has his ice cream. Works.

Laura - I made kale chips once and thought, too, that it was like eating air, not much at all. Let me know what spices you used, I thought they might be better with some sort of flavor added. I tried taking a bag of the cheddar Goldfish, crushing them up, and putting them on the chips and then misting it so that the cheddar would hopefully stick, but it didn't seem to stick all that much.

jb - that's just wonderful about your loss. Big congrats on the size 8's

cheryl - prayers being sent your way

krisann and sandraschiman - welcome!

Phyllis in Cairo - what a lovely pic. You look so good!

Did an hour of a Jari Love Ripped 1000 DVD today. Tomorrow I'll stop by the Humane Society to drop off our aluminum for them (and coupons that I have) and then take the deep water aerobics class. Volunteered at the Green Room, then stopped at one branch of the Y but they didn't have the caliphers yet (need to order new ones) so couldn't get my bf taken, then went to Kohl's to look for a pocketbook. Boy, things there seemed to be so expensive! Went to Aldi's then on the way home stopped at another store to look at their pocketbooks. Although I didn't find a pocketbook, I did find a sleeveless white fancy blouse and a pair of jeans that actually fit me along with a pair of Avia sneakers that were on sale, plus I got 15% off the purrchase. Wish I'd done better. Tomorrow after deep water, I'll probably stop at the Salvation Army then mahjongg.

Linda Sundance - you and hubby get better real real fast, ya hear????

MaryC - congrats on not having those cupcakes (now you can send one to me....lol)

jen - happy birthday to your mom! Have a good time at the show

Rori - how did you cook the collard greens? I'd love to have them, but I have no clue whatsoever how to cook them. You're so lucky that your dh will let you experiment with foods with him. My dh has to be the pickest eater on the face of the earth. He just told me that he's going to this board meeting of Newcomers (I didn't think he was going to go) and that I need to make something for him to bring (it'll be a potluck), but it has to be something he'll eat, which doesn't leave much at all.

jodios - when you make the beer can chicken, do you put it on your grill? I'll be more than glad to send your ds a few pounds, no charge at all, I'll even pay the shipping....lol Tell me about how fast the pounds go on and how slow they come off.

jane - that is so nice of you to cook for those people, and what a smorgasborg you made!!! Hey, you can send some here!

Sorry I didn't respond to more. Please forgive me. I'm trying to stay off the computer as much as possible. I'm thinking that maybe I put my neck in a weird position when I look at the monitor, so I'm trying looking at the monitor as little as possible.

Hope everyone has a great evening.

Michele in NC
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,383 Member
    Options
    Almost forgot --- happy pi day everyone!

Michele in NC
  • determinedinAZ
    determinedinAZ Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Sally: I hope your husband is okay, and that you get to go to the gym and enjoy working out tomorrow.:smile:

Rori: Where do you live in CO, north, south, mountains, or plains? I see several CO ladies here. My DD lives in Longmont and I’m always trying to picture where people live. DS used to live in Colorado Springs and we like visiting the state. There are so many amazing things to see and different landforms.:glasses: This is my tourist personna.:bigsmile:

Jodios: Your DS is welcome to some of my pounds. I’ll bet there are a lot of people willing to contribute. On the other hand, he probably needs younger and more fit pounds than the spares we have hanging around.:laugh:

Brookeke: Be patient. Menses go away. Eventually.:grumble: :bigsmile: :

Foodie: I’m sorry about your young friend from work. Is foul play suspected? On a happier note, enjoy your time at Disney World. I hear they sell food there and it isn’t always slimming. Don’t forget to log your food.:bigsmile:

I made a comment that included eliminator/moderator: Oops. I meant abstainer/moderator. I’m sure the general idea got though. Other than yoga and a trip to the dentist, this has been a quiet day. I want to have some fun tomorrow but I haven’t thought of anything yet. Suggestions are welcome. :flowerforyou:

Katla in NW Oregon
  • Sasha4427
    Sasha4427 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies, hope everyone’s Thursday was great. I seem to be having trouble with the dates this month, I’m either losing a few days or a week ahead of myself – I’m starting to worry (but no, I haven’t lost any memory yet, or any that I remember losing anyway – hmmm how would you know?)

I am ready for Friday for sure. Last night I went to bed to read and I fell asleep within a few minutes I think. I kept waking up all night though (darned water anyway).

Michele – and happy pi day to you too – at least 3.14159 times – and I can relate to irrational numbers (my scale seems to like them too).

Renny – my in-laws were Mennonite and Opa and Oma were the honourifics for them as well. And they were Saskatchewanians by way of Kansas, Netherlands, Poland, Germany and originally Russia. So maybe the Oma/Opa came from NL or GR – who knows. Hope the grandson is feeling better by the weekend so you and he can enjoy the time together. Wow, you really are having the gremlins this past week or so.

Jane – you really live your faith – very inspiring. And don’t you just hate those car surprises?

MaryC – great self control. Good for you.

Jo in Wales – loved your story about trying on the dress. Sometimes you just have to smile at people that seem to lack a filter on their commentary. Take it as a left-handed compliment and enjoy the dress!

Cheryl – thanks for the laugh. I’m sure it wasn’t as bad as you thought with the glasses on anyway. We are all our own worst critics. Oh, so sad to hear the OD, why do the young make such lousy choices – breaks your heart.

JaneH – fingers crossed that the orthotic fix works for you.

JB – if I squawk and flap at the office I’m pretty sure someone will haul me away fairly quickly. Yay about the plateau busting!!!!!

Laura – sounds like you can see the end of the rainbow with the accounting issues. That must make you feel good. I so envy you 3 getting together for lunch what a great chance to be with people who understand and support (sort of like everyone here I guess in a virtual sense).

KathyZ – you can ramble on as much as you like – we love to listen to you.

Linda Sundance – wow, with all the fruit trees you have you should be a natural for Renny’s F&V challenge. I so envy the citrus trees (and I’ve never had an avocado off the tree). Hope you and DD1 are feeling better – colds are very very very annoying, you’re not really sick, just feeling lousy enough not to do anything.

Glenda – so glad your daughter is okay (relatively speaking).

Talk to you all tomorrow (Renny – I stocked up on veg and fruit for salad).

Lila in the cloudy Kootenays in SE British Columbia (where the snow is disappearing quickly – yay!)