whats the beef on well...beef...

Options

Replies

• redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    Seeing a lot of posts about "I avoid red meat" and bla bla bla....

Just curious if you are avoiding it, why? I eat some form of steak at least once a week...its high in protein and pretty reasonable on calorie and fat intake..

^ that was my original post...I thought it was pretty clear...

Don't see anything in there about "vegetarians need not respond", but if you reasons besides my vegetarianism I stopped buying beef as much prior to that due to cost. It's very expensive for 1 lb of the leanest beef. happy?
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I love beef! Tonight I cooked a tri-tip on my grill that was medium rare with a nice rub on it and yum....it was amazing. I usually make a big one so I'll have enough left overs for several days. I do eat other types of meat - pork loins and chicken but I really, really enjoy a red beef.
  • redraidergirl2009
    Options
    Not to mention the lack of nutrional value and added hormones per pound for the price.
  • Shenanagins85
    Shenanagins85 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Pink slime!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

Just curious if you are avoiding it, why? I eat some form of steak at least once a week...its high in protein and pretty reasonable on calorie and fat intake..

Don't see anything in there about "vegetarians need not respond", but if you reasons besides my vegetarianism I stopped buying beef as much prior to that due to cost. It's very expensive for 1 lb of the leanest beef. happy?

not really, but if you feel better now I am happy for you ...
  • redraidergirl2009
    Options

not really, but if you feel better now I am happy for you ...

Compared to beans which are $1 a pound where lean beef was nearly $6. It has nothing to do with how I felt. It was a fact and a better bang for my buck even prior to going to vegetarian.
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    The guys who made pink slime declared bankruptcy. :) I don't think we have to worry about that. I must admit - I don't eat ground up beef. It's too low of quality.

I buy my beef from Whole Foods to avoid any chemicals and hormones. I don't know why you guys think it has no nutritional value - beef is pretty good for you. It has niacin, B2, B12, iron, phosphorus, vitamin D, Omega 3, selenium, and zinc. It's also high in potassium and is a good source of protein.

If you're not eating beef because your a vegetarian, that's fine. Everyone has different views but saying something isn't nutritional because you don't like it is sorta silly. I have friends who don't eat meat and we get along splendidly; but they generally don't start yelling "it has no nutritional benefits" when I eat beef. I just find that judgmental and well...insulting considering I'm logical enough to do a quick search and discover that the statement is well...false. I'd rather you just say "For ethical reasons, I prefer to not eat meat." Fine, that's a valid response without any sort of judgment.

Let's agree to disagree and not be so mean to each other because we all are going to have different views on this. My grandfather was a cattle rancher so I grew up eating beef and I do love it and it would be impossible for anyone to change my opinion on that subject but I don't and won't criticize friends if they prefer a vegan lifestyle. That's wrong too.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Pink slime!

I'm in Canada, we never had pink slime.
  • ohenry78
    ohenry78 Posts: 228
    Options
    My thoughts on this:

-- Cows are meant to be eaten. We can argue about domestic cows vs. their wild ancestors, but the fact of the matter is that cows, bison, cattle, buffalo, any cow variation you can think of is a meat source for some species. If not people, then wolves or some other carnivorous animal.

-- The whole "Cows are people too" sort of sentiment is sort of silly. As mentioned previously, they are pretty much meant to be eaten. And while there are some places that mistreat their stock, most cows get to live a life of luxury by animal standards and then die a quick, painless death for food. This, as opposed to a hard life in the wild and being devoured alive by some predator.

-- My father in law raises cows, and we get tons of high quality beef with no hormones and high flavor. And while not everyone has that luxury, it isn't too terribly hard in most places to find local meat markets where you can find out the living conditions and breeding conditions of the cows used.
  • Minerva624
    Minerva624 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    My thoughts on this:

-- Cows are meant to be eaten. We can argue about domestic cows vs. their wild ancestors, but the fact of the matter is that cows, bison, cattle, buffalo, any cow variation you can think of is a meat source for some species. If not people, then wolves or some other carnivorous animal.

-- The whole "Cows are people too" sort of sentiment is sort of silly. As mentioned previously, they are pretty much meant to be eaten. And while there are some places that mistreat their stock, most cows get to live a life of luxury by animal standards and then die a quick, painless death for food. This, as opposed to a hard life in the wild and being devoured alive by some predator.

-- My father in law raises cows, and we get tons of high quality beef with no hormones and high flavor. And while not everyone has that luxury, it isn't too terribly hard in most places to find local meat markets where you can find out the living conditions and breeding conditions of the cows used.

So, in conclusion...

Good reasons to avoid red meat: Doctor's orders, personal taste, budget restrictions.
    Bad reasons to avoid red meat: Moral reasons.

I'm sorry but excuse me?! You're basically telling vegetarians and vegans that we are stupid because our morals regarding animals. Many reasons as to why most educated vegetarians and vegans goes beyond just morals and compassion for animals. Environmental concerns, world economic issues, world hunger, and the quality of life for earth's future inhabitants (including our own children) play a big role as to why we don't consume meat. By the way, most cows don't live a life of luxury by animal standards nor do they die a quick and painless death. It's sick how a cow is killed for kosher meat. Please explain to me how this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qp8B4vSd6h0) is a quick and painless death.
  • ohenry78
    Options
    My thoughts on this:

So, in conclusion...

Good reasons to avoid red meat: Doctor's orders, personal taste, budget restrictions.
    Bad reasons to avoid red meat: Moral reasons.

I'm sorry but excuse me?! You're basically telling vegetarians and vegans that we are stupid because our morals regarding animals. Many reasons as to why most educated vegetarians and vegans goes beyond just morals and compassion for animals. Environmental concerns, world economic issues, world hunger, and the quality of life for earth's future inhabitants (including our own children) play a big role as to why we don't consume meat. By the way, most cows don't live a life of luxury by animal standards nor do they die a quick and painless death. It's sick how a cow is killed for kosher meat. Please explain to me how this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qp8B4vSd6h0) is a quick and painless death.

I don't think that I called you stupid anywhere in there...I was typing my thoughts on the situation, and put counter-arguments. But if you see elsewise please let me know :)

As for how cows are killed for Kosher, here's the thing -- it looks bad, yes. It's messy, and there's blood everywhere. But they're killing by blood loss, which if done correctly isn't very painful. Sounds cruel but it's the truth. And if you disagree with this method of killing, one could choose non-kosher beef as an alternative.

As for those other reasons, I am genuinely curious -- do you have any arguments against eating meat that have to deal with "Environmental concerns, world economic issues, world hunger, and the quality of life for earth's future inhabitants"? I would sincerely be interested to hear these because I don't know that I've been exposed to them before.
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    I don't know whats wrong with people. I love a nice juicy fat steak a few times a week. It's good for your iron levels too.
  • ohenry78
    Options
    I don't know whats wrong with people. I love a nice juicy fat steak a few times a week. It's good for your iron levels too.

Word.
  • redraidergirl2009
    Options
    Why do people get so wound up about people that don't eat meat? Guilty conscience? Scared of people different than you? I'd really like to know. I don't think anyone has ever explained why they believe people that don't eat meat are wrong, unhealthy, stupid, ect...
  • ohenry78
    Options
    I don't think anyone has said that people who don't eat meat are wrong/stupid/etc. We have been debating I individual discussion topics.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    MMMMMMM love me some roasted dead cow. Dead pig for that matter to.
  • NeverGivesUp
    NeverGivesUp Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Plain and simple, I only eat animals that I am willing to kill myself. As I could or would never kill a cow, that is off my plate. We all have our reasons for eating what we do. I made that decision when I was 10 years old so there is absolutely no going back, that was 30 years ago. I don't care if people eat meat or not. I I let my kids eat it because it is their choice to make as they get older. It is no ones place to judge others for what they eat or don't eat. Live and let live and you will be a lot happier.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options
    grassfed, pasture-raised = good

hormone injected, feedlot raised = less good

and not just an ethical thing. the level of omega-6's (the bad ones if you have too many) are through the roof on feedlot cattle. it's anywhere from 10:1 to 20:1 (i've seen different figures) of Omega 6s to 3s, and in grassfed beef the ratio is about 2:1 omega 6's to 3's.

This is why regular beef can lead to disease. However, grassfed beef is as good, if not better for you, than fish.
    Where do get this stuff. Beef isn't high in omegas, period, for starters and the ratio's aren't anywhere near 10 or 20 to one and to drop in one reason why beef might cause disease, is well ridiculous. I really suggest you research before you post because being evangelistic about your new found hobby doesn't mean your getting the right information. You tend to shoot from the hip which is not working for you most of the time simply because you don't have the overall nutritional knowledge to do that.

For example, here's 100 g's of flank steak, with an omega ratio of about 2:1 and it's not organic, just your run of the mill feed lot beef and the total amount of omegas are under 300 mg's including omega 3's. If you want to get on a soap box and educate everyone about the evils of omega 6's and omega balance then instead of the measly 200mg's of n:6 in beef maybe pick on peanut butter with 4400mg's in 2 tbsp and the omega balance is 183:1...............now you got something to yap about.

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/beef-products/7396/2
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options

so what the hell is the beef?

I eat it. Not often but I do eat red meat. I think it depends on 1) Whether it is grass fed or not and 2) How you cook it i.e. soaked in sauces etc. or just grilled and simple.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Why do people get so wound up about people that don't eat meat? Guilty conscience? Scared of people different than you? I'd really like to know. I don't think anyone has ever explained why they believe people that don't eat meat are wrong, unhealthy, stupid, ect...

the counter to this is why do people who do not eat meat get so wound up about people who do? See previous posts in the thread...If I you do not want to eat meat I do not care, yet it somehow bothers others that I like to eat meat and am somehow "mean" to animals....