What do you eat at a Mexican food restaurant?

Options

Replies

• aaronlawrenc
    aaronlawrenc Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    fajitas. no tortillas. no beans. no rice. no tres leches. no sopapillas. just fajita meat.....and avocado.
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    1/4 of WHATEVER I WANT. I take the rest home and divide it into other containers for snacks and lunches. Portion size is what kills me, not the occasional splurge on "convenience food."
  • outdoorslife
    outdoorslife Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Since you are on MFP you probably know what to eat to some extent. So think or look at the menu on line if possible and check up on the calories for what you want. For example - nice hot fresh chips with salsa, bottomless. oh yes a second basket pleeese!

Remember EAT SLOW, savor the chips and salsa don't wolf it down.

Well most chips are 13-16 chips for 160 calories. So fine, take 12-14 chips to your plate, thats your portion.
    Get a spoon, 2TBSP of salsa is about 15 calories thereabouts. So, use the spoon to shovel salsa - 1 tablespoon with a bite of chip. Keep track, but I find after 6 or so tablespoons of salsa I have had enough. so about 45-50 calories.

Main meal - mexican restaurants usually can switch up meals easily. Forgo refried beans... too high a calorie hit.
    Rice - quick google says 1 cup of mexican rice is about 200 calories...
    1 medium torilla 100-120 calories

See where I am going with this ? Just select out what you want to eat or should eat, and even if MFP doesn't list your restaurant you can use google to search and get averages on what you might eat that night.

Yes its a bit of a pain, but so is lugging around 50-100 extra pounds ... plays havoc on the knees and ankles...

Now you can build up what you want to eat, even pre log it and know you didn't blow your calories for the day!

And generally if you get a full plated meal, eat only half :-)

Good luck!!
  • mssgeni
    mssgeni Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Soft tacos... where I get them they're packed and come with two tortillas so I usually make one into two. If I'm having a fat day or something I'll just eat the meat only. Pollo asado is also pretty good and not too heavy! :)
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    fajitas. no tortillas. no beans. no rice. no tres leches. no sopapillas. just fajita meat.....and avocado.

:noway: . . . :frown: . . . . . :sad:
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    A margarita. For sure. ;)

...and not just one either
  • TAsunder
    TAsunder Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I eat unhealthily there and make up for it the rest of the week with deficits. If we had better restaurants for Mexican food around here, that would be substantially different, as I would have delicious healthy options.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options

If you're going to do this, don't go :noway:
  • weinbagel
    weinbagel Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    avoid tortillas and chips if you can! i usually get a taco salad, and toss the shell. chips are hard for me to avoid, cause they're so dang good!
  • emrogers
    emrogers Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    chicken fajitas, no rice, and beans only if they are charro beans, corn tortillas, or no tortillas if I have chips.

I'll also ask them to do the chicken fajitas and instead of the rice and beans can they bring me a side salad and I top it off with the fajitas and some salsa, no dressing!!!

Another suggestion: ENJOY Dinner!!!!! It's not about what you can or can't have its about moderation!!!! Life is too short. :)

Good luck.
  • Queen_JessieA
    Queen_JessieA Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    Fajitas or carne asada...or soup if they have it. But, I am a soup girl. Most people don't want to go to a Mexican restaurant for soup! I love it!! Oh, and a side of guacamole salad :) Yums!
  • UnoDrea3732
    UnoDrea3732 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Because I feel like if I eat enough mexican food then I'll actually learn spanish....
  • lilteepot
    lilteepot Posts: 97
    Options
    Seafood molcajete with rice, sour cream and guac. Skip the tortillas. Use a spoon/fork.
  • Kymwho
    Kymwho Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I eat Margaritas!! Hahaha!! ;-) Chicken fajitas is the best choice for me.
  • agggie550
    agggie550 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Just eat everything you want, and then take like 12 shots of tequila ... BOOM insta cleanse, you get to eat all the deliciousness you can handle, zero calories.... WIN WIN
  • tgh1914
    tgh1914 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    The better question is, what don't I eat at a mexican food restaurant? I enjoy it & work out later.
  • Blakelynn3
    Blakelynn3 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I get whatever I want and just eat less of it.
  • meredith1123
    meredith1123 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    chicken tacos, chicken fajitas, taco salad (chicken, no sour cream).......

the chips are what kill you.
  • Fairysoul
    Fairysoul Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Fajita's mostly I like thew veggie ones, or fish tacos they are the best!
  • Luvmesumkenny
    Luvmesumkenny Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Lot's of Tequila :drinker: