Health food not so healthy???

Options

Replies

• lisamarie2181
    lisamarie2181 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    whole grains for me.

almond milk is, unfortunately, not as great as we all think.

COCONUT MILK TO THE RESCUE! :P

Coconut Milk is pretty great, but you can make your own Almond Milk. Soak almonds over night, peel off the skins, and blend with water, voila!! almond milk!!

If any of you are on Pinterest there are a ton a pins for recipes, but it is really that simple :)

I do either almond of coconut milk in my veg smoothies, I think it helps!

And these things below are healthy for normal people, but I have some medical conditions that force me to limit these things, as much as I may love them!!

Most fruit
    Potatoes
    Corn

Unless it came out of a mammals junk, it's not milk, stop lying to yourself

That is what it is called at the store, and it's a great dairy substitute for ones who can't eat dairy. I don't get all hung up on what people choose to call the things they eat, really not important.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    whole grains for me.

Coconut Milk is pretty great, but you can make your own Almond Milk. Soak almonds over night, peel off the skins, and blend with water, voila!! almond milk!!

If any of you are on Pinterest there are a ton a pins for recipes, but it is really that simple :)

And these things below are healthy for normal people, but I have some medical conditions that force me to limit these things, as much as I may love them!!

Most fruit
    Potatoes
    Corn

Um, I don't know what kind of "milk" you are drinking but typically "junk" refers to something other than the teat! :noway:
  • lisamarie2181
    lisamarie2181 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    whole grains for me.

Most fruit
    Potatoes
    Corn

Um, I don't know what kind of "milk" you are drinking but typically "junk" refers to something other than the teat! :noway:

lol good point
  • judydelo1
    judydelo1 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Penn & Teller did a funny bit on B*ll**** where they chopped several fruits in half then told people one half was organic and the other half was non-organic. The vast majority of the people said the organic half (keep in mind again, this was from the same fruit) tasted better. Organic is marketing hype. Feel free to pay double for your veggies though if you really feel the need.

I prefer not to eat pesticides with my meals. I also prefer to have my veggies grown in nutrient rich soil.

Why do you think organic produce doesn't use pesticides?

With regard to pesticides, it must also be noted that organic farming, while using methods to minimize pests and the need for pesticides, still uses organic, rather than synthetic, pesticides. For example a rotenone-pyrethrin mixture is commonly used. Such pesticides are not as well studied as synthetic pesticides, often require more applications, and may persist longer in the soil. In fact the use of “natural” pesticides is nothing more than an appeal to the naturalistic fallacy – there really is no evidence for superior safety, and they have not been adequately studied.

http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/index.php/is-organic-food-more-healthful/

That's interesting about rotenone-pyrethrin I'll have to look into that because that is news to me. Thanks for the heads up.
    We grow huge organic gardens and raspberries and we have never used ANY organic or synthetic pesticides. When we don't have it growing in our own garden or greenhouse, then I buy organic produce from a privately owned health food store that buys local, organic produce as much as possible. I'll have to ask them if they use any organic pesticides.

I do know that in the article linked below, "the President's Cancer Panel released a report urging Americans to eat organic food, among other strategies, to reduce their exposure to harmful chemicals."

http://www.rodale.com/health-benefits-organic?page=0,1

The way I look at is this. Big agri-business knows that consumers are demanding organic produce. They only offer organics now because they know they have to. Some states have laxer laws than others regarding organic farming requirements for certification. So I've been reluctant to buy organic produce from the big box stores because I've been concerned their organic produce is farmed using the least stringent standards . . . because after all they aren't offering organics because they necessarily feel passionate about it . . . they're going to offer it the cheapest way possible. On the other hand, I feel a local organic farm or small organic farm is growing organically because they feel passionately about clean food.

I'm laughing because I started by saying I prefer not to eat pesticides with my vegetables and that I prefer to eat vegetables grown from nutrient rich soil. Then it was pointed out that some possibly toxic "organic" pesticides are being used by some organic farms. I said thanks for the heads up and I'd look into it and see if the farms use any "organic" pesticides where I get veggies . . . also noting that we grow a high percentage of our food. I also noted that "the President's Cancer Panel released a report urging Americans to eat organic food, among other strategies, to reduce their exposure to harmful chemicals." And then you poo pooed the President's Cancer Panel's report and instead gave me information regarding the hazards of rodent feces in coffee vs non organically produce. I find your line of thinking funny.

The link clearly show that the "chemicals" you claim are "toxic" are no more dangerous than the ones produced naturally by your precious organic produce.

Yep that's what you think. I think differently. Do you have a problem with that?

You can think whatever you want.

My position is supported by evidence, yours is not.

Then why is did "the President's Cancer Panel released a report urging Americans to eat organic food, among other strategies, to reduce their exposure to harmful chemicals."

You'll have to ask them. But a 3-person panel, one of whom is a steroid-fueled former cyclist, is far from the best resource for scientific information.

Edit: On closer inspection, Lance is no longer on the panel. But one of the members is listed as a "Cancer Survivor", with no other credentials.

Not exactly an expert on the sciences.

What are you talking about?

Here's a full report put out by the President's Cancer Panel called "Reducing Environmental Cancer Risks: What We Can Do Now".

http://deainfo.nci.nih.gov/advisory/pcp/annualReports/pcp08-09rpt/PCP_Report_08-09_508.pdf

There is a whole section called "Exposure to Contaminants from Agricultural Sources". Below is a quote. Please note that the United States President's Cancer Panel is saying there is a link between pesticide exposure and a shopping list of cancers.

"Nearly 1,400 pesticides have been registered
    (i.e., approved) by the Environmental
    Protection Agency (EPA) for agricultural and
    non-agricultural use.214 Exposure to these
    chemicals has been linked to brain/central
    nervous system (CNS), breast, colon, lung,
    ovarian (female spouses), pancreatic, kidney,
    testicular, and stomach cancers, as well
    as Hodgkin and non-Hodgkin lymphoma,
    multiple myeloma, and soft tissue
    sarcoma.147 Pesticide-exposed farmers,
    pesticide applicators, crop duster pilots, and
    manufacturers also have been found to have
    elevated rates of prostate cancer, melanoma,
    other skin cancers, and cancer of the lip.215
    Approximately 40 chemicals classified
    by the International Agency for Research
    on Cancer (IARC) as known, probable, or
    possible human carcinogens, are used
    in EPA-registered pesticides now on the
    market.216–219 Some of these chemicals
    are used in several different pesticides; for
    example, chromium trioxide, an IARC Class
    1 carcinogen (carcinogenic to humans), is
    used in 14 different pesticide products from
    five different companies. Thus, the total
    number of registered pesticide products
    containing known or suspected carcinogens
    is far greater than 40, but few have been
    severely restricted in the United States.
    Among those that have been banned, or had
    their use restricted, are DDT, ethylene oxide,
    dimethlhydrazine, hexachlorobenzene, and
    some chlorophenoxy herbicides.215

Here's another quote which sums up my thoughts:

"I believe it is time for a new human experiment. The
    old experiment…is that we have sprayed pesticides
    which are inherent poisons…throughout our shared
    environment. They are now in amniotic fluid. They’re in
    our blood. They’re in our urine. They’re in our exhaled
    breath. They are in mothers’ milk….What is the burden
    of cancer that we can attribute to this use of poisons
    in our agricultural system?...We won’t really know
    the answer until we do the other experiment, which
    is to take the poisons out of our food chain, embrace a
    different kind of agriculture, and see what happens."
  • zonah
    zonah Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    My children when small never eat sweets only chocolate.I like chocolate but do try and avoid now exept a small treat.

I have you ever tried Raw dark chocolate? It's soooooo good! http://www.planetloverawchocolate.com/
  • judydelo1
    Options
    So basically, you guys don't eat anything?

BRB...going to McDonalds

Purslane, Bok Choy, Arugula, Miner's Lettuce, Italian Lettuce, Beet Greens, Turnip Greens, Brussels Sprouts, Potatoes, Sweet Potatoes, Cucumbers, Carrots, Green Beans, Snap Peas, Pumpkins, Zucchini, Yellow Squash, Acorn Squash, Butternut Squash, Celery, Fiddleheads, Swiss Chard, Kale, Tatsoi, Purslane, Artichokes, Cauliflower, Onions, Garlic, Asparagus, Cabbage, Tomatoes, Sweet Peppers, Hot Peppers, Watercress, Tomatillos, Several varieties of Mushrooms, Parsnips, Turnips, Beets, Raspberries, Apples, Pears, Bananas, Pau Pau, Grapes, Blueberries, Mangos, Avocados, Kiwis, Coconut, Pistachios, Walnuts, Almonds, Peanuts, and various Nut Butters, Coconut Oil, Coconut Milk, Olive Oil, Herbal Teas, Coffee, Lentils, Rice, Barley, Millet, Quinoa, Chic Peas, Cannelloni Beans, Red Kidney Beans, Lima Beans, Hummus, Extra Dark Chocolate, Fresh and dried Herbs, Raw Honey, Rice Cakes, Olives, Miso, Ginger, Sesame Seeds, Chia Seeds, Pistachio Seeds, Flax Seeds . . . Hummm what am I missing?

Do you eat this much variety on a regular basis? BTW Most of the veggies and fruits and berries we grow ourselves.

Oooops edited because not finished with list

Oh and also seaweed, sprouted grain bread, sprouts, oats, granola, cashews, cashew cream, strawberries, watermelon, cantaloupe, honeydew melon, blackberries, black currant, pineapple . . . ummmm I'm sure there's more. SO much to eat.
  • ksuh999
    ksuh999 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Oooh the paleo eaters aren't going to like the the retort from those pesky evolutionary biologists:

http://www.salon.com/2013/03/10/paleofantasy_stone_age_delusions/

As for carrots, they weren't even orange until the 17th century. And here's the wild carrot, parent of that abomination you buy at the farmers' market.

Carrot_Queen_Annes_Lace_or_wild_carrot_roots_DP860.jpg

The original potato:

wild_potatoes.jpg

Cucumbers used to be extremely bitter. The bitterness was bred out over centuries.

Plants do not reproduce like humans. For instance, with apples, cross pollinating two apple trees will result in a multitude of seedlings that bear absolutely no resemblance to the parents. It's like if two white people had a kid and out popped an asian baby.
  • Beata375
    Beata375 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    The "bad" foods...

Fruit, Vegetables, whole grains, not whole grains, dairy, soy, anything with chemicals in it, anything without chemicals in it, water, sugar, alcohol, legumes, nuts, eggs, egg whites, egg substitutes, herbs, spices, sugar again,...

f'in paranoid MFP universe...

1290603068_crazy-brazilian-murderer-interview.gif

Can I just ask you something? Why bother responding if you have nothing positive to say? I could do without your smart *kitten* comments. Thought these message boards were for support... not for people to beat you down and make you feel like an a-hole.
    I hope one day you realize that there are real people on another computer reading your comments, and they have feelings. Last thing I expected was so many snarky, hurtful comments.
    Hurtful? I think you need to grow some lady-balls. Seriously, if you find this stuff hurtful, I don't know how you cope with real life.

Ive dealt quite well with the life I've been handed... thanks! I've actually dealt with immigrating to a new country, loss of my best friend and also loss of a child. So I've dealt with my fair share of real life. Thanks!
  • silky_kitten
    silky_kitten Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Non-organic catnips. It's a tough habit, I'm trying to beat it.
  • Beata375
    Beata375 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    What is the one food that you used to think was a healthy choice that you have since learned otherwise?

For me its the Baby Carrots. Learning they are doused in chlorine and "bred" to be little ~ it grosses me out enough to not eat them anymore. What's your food?

i once thought a DQ blizzard was healthy since it had so much go stuff in it....I know now it is not healthy....maybe we should put some baby carrots into it..make it a bit healthier....and they are bred to be baby so they do fit in the DQ blizzard.

SERIOUSLY??? YOU want to make fun of me for having an old picture of a blizzard? interesting! You, of all people, are not one to judge someone else!
  • NaBroski
    NaBroski Posts: 206
    Options
    Penn & Teller did a funny bit on B*ll**** where they chopped several fruits in half then told people one half was organic and the other half was non-organic. The vast majority of the people said the organic half (keep in mind again, this was from the same fruit) tasted better. Organic is marketing hype. Feel free to pay double for your veggies though if you really feel the need.

I prefer not to eat pesticides with my meals. I also prefer to have my veggies grown in nutrient rich soil.

With regard to pesticides, it must also be noted that organic farming, while using methods to minimize pests and the need for pesticides, still uses organic, rather than synthetic, pesticides. For example a rotenone-pyrethrin mixture is commonly used. Such pesticides are not as well studied as synthetic pesticides, often require more applications, and may persist longer in the soil. In fact the use of “natural” pesticides is nothing more than an appeal to the naturalistic fallacy – there really is no evidence for superior safety, and they have not been adequately studied.

That's interesting about rotenone-pyrethrin I'll have to look into that because that is news to me. Thanks for the heads up.
    We grow huge organic gardens and raspberries and we have never used ANY organic or synthetic pesticides. When we don't have it growing in our own garden or greenhouse, then I buy organic produce from a privately owned health food store that buys local, organic produce as much as possible. I'll have to ask them if they use any organic pesticides.

I do know that in the article linked below, "the President's Cancer Panel released a report urging Americans to eat organic food, among other strategies, to reduce their exposure to harmful chemicals."

The way I look at is this. Big agri-business knows that consumers are demanding organic produce. They only offer organics now because they know they have to. Some states have laxer laws than others regarding organic farming requirements for certification. So I've been reluctant to buy organic produce from the big box stores because I've been concerned their organic produce is farmed using the least stringent standards . . . because after all they aren't offering organics because they necessarily feel passionate about it . . . they're going to offer it the cheapest way possible. On the other hand, I feel a local organic farm or small organic farm is growing organically because they feel passionately about clean food.

I'm laughing because I started by saying I prefer not to eat pesticides with my vegetables and that I prefer to eat vegetables grown from nutrient rich soil. Then it was pointed out that some possibly toxic "organic" pesticides are being used by some organic farms. I said thanks for the heads up and I'd look into it and see if the farms use any "organic" pesticides where I get veggies . . . also noting that we grow a high percentage of our food. I also noted that "the President's Cancer Panel released a report urging Americans to eat organic food, among other strategies, to reduce their exposure to harmful chemicals." And then you poo pooed the President's Cancer Panel's report and instead gave me information regarding the hazards of rodent feces in coffee vs non organically produce. I find your line of thinking funny.

The link clearly show that the "chemicals" you claim are "toxic" are no more dangerous than the ones produced naturally by your precious organic produce.

Yep that's what you think. I think differently. Do you have a problem with that?

Then why is did "the President's Cancer Panel released a report urging Americans to eat organic food, among other strategies, to reduce their exposure to harmful chemicals."

You'll have to ask them. But a 3-person panel, one of whom is a steroid-fueled former cyclist, is far from the best resource for scientific information.

Edit: On closer inspection, Lance is no longer on the panel. But one of the members is listed as a "Cancer Survivor", with no other credentials.

As of August 2006, the Panel consists of LaSalle D. Leffall, Jr., M.D., F.A.C.S. (Chair), Lance Armstrong, and Margaret L. Kripke, Ph.D.

The current cancer panel:

January 2013
    PRESIDENT’S CANCER PANEL
    CHAIRPERSON
    Barbara K. Rimer, Dr.P.H.
    Dean
    Gillings School of Global
    Public
    Health
    Alumni Distinguished Professor
    of Health Behavior and Health Education

Hill Harper, J.D.
    Cancer Survivor
    4 Time New York Times Best
    -
    Selling Author, Actor &

Owen N. Witte, M.D.
    Director
    Eli and Edythe Broad Center of Regenerative
    Medicine and
    Stem Cell Research

So we have a three-person panel, only one of whom is a scientist.

Here's a full report put out by the President's Cancer Panel called "Reducing Environmental Cancer Risks: What We Can Do Now".

http://deainfo.nci.nih.gov/advisory/pcp/annualReports/pcp08-09rpt/PCP_Report_08-09_508.pdf

There is a whole section called "Exposure to Contaminants from Agricultural Sources". Below is a quote. Please note that the United States President's Cancer Panel is saying there is a link between pesticide exposure and a shopping list of cancers.

And how, pray tell, do you think they identify these "suspected carcinogens"?

THE AMES TEST!!!!!!!
  • CherokeeBabe
    CherokeeBabe Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    This thread should get interesting...

1242925128_houseomnomnom.gif

Nothing to add except a lot of laughing, and the fact that I F****** love House. <3
  • judydelo1
    Options
    Once again the pack dogs start to circle around, corner and snarl at someone that has a differing opinion. If you believe baby carrots are healthy then go ahead and eat them. She isn't saying you have to. She started the thread as a way to get involved being a newbie and to see what foods other people gave up after learning new info. WHy on world would you attack her profile picture. FOr all you know it's there as a reminder of how she DOESN'T want to eat now that she's focusing on weight loss. Maybe it's a picture she's fond of because it reminds her of a particularly special day with her child, maybe it shows her highest weight and she is proud she's going down from there. Why the personal insults when all she said is:

"What is the one food that you used to think was a healthy choice that you have since learned otherwise?
    For me its the Baby Carrots. Learning they are doused in chlorine and "bred" to be little ~ it grosses me out enough to not eat them anymore. What's your food?

What is so lacking in your character and heart that you would decide to taunt, mock, degrade and upset this woman for starting this thread?
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Baby carrots are cut from larger "imperfect" carrots. They are not 'bred". They are rinsed in a chlorine solution, then rinsed again with clean water. Do you not wash your veggies before eating them?

Not in bleach, I don't!

Almost all city waters have chlorine so do you filter your water before washing everything?
  • judydelo1
    Options

As of August 2006, the Panel consists of LaSalle D. Leffall, Jr., M.D., F.A.C.S. (Chair), Lance Armstrong, and Margaret L. Kripke, Ph.D.

January 2013
    PRESIDENT’S CANCER PANEL
    CHAIRPERSON
    Dean
    Public
    Health

Hill Harper, J.D.
    Cancer Survivor
    -
    Selling Author, Actor &

Owen N. Witte, M.D.
    Director
    Medicine and
    Stem Cell Research

THE AMES TEST!!!!!!!

Maybe you should ask the United States President's Cancer Panel after all they came up with this report. Oh wait, their report doesn't count either?
  • Christizzzle
    Christizzzle Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    What about those cuties!? I mean, what do they DO to them to make them so easy to peel. Screw that, I'll take a Blizzard because I KNOW what's in that.
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    What is the one food that you used to think was a healthy choice that you have since learned otherwise?

i once thought a DQ blizzard was healthy since it had so much go stuff in it....I know now it is not healthy....maybe we should put some baby carrots into it..make it a bit healthier....and they are bred to be baby so they do fit in the DQ blizzard.

SERIOUSLY??? YOU want to make fun of me for having an old picture of a blizzard? interesting! You, of all people, are not one to judge someone else!

Kinda curious as to what you mean when YOU say this to her?
  • judydelo1
    Options

January 2013
    PRESIDENT’S CANCER PANEL
    CHAIRPERSON
    Dean
    Public
    Health

Hill Harper, J.D.
    Cancer Survivor
    -
    Selling Author, Actor &

Owen N. Witte, M.D.
    Director
    Medicine and
    Stem Cell Research

THE AMES TEST!!!!!!!

Maybe you should ask the United States President's Cancer Panel after all they came up with this report. Oh wait, their report doesn't count either?

Actually I'm sure that if you just read the report you'll see how. In the report it does say that these toxins can be measured being released from urine, breath, mother's milk and more.
  • NaBroski
    NaBroski Posts: 206
    Options

January 2013
    PRESIDENT’S CANCER PANEL
    CHAIRPERSON
    Dean
    Public
    Health

Hill Harper, J.D.
    Cancer Survivor
    -
    Selling Author, Actor &

Owen N. Witte, M.D.
    Director
    Medicine and
    Stem Cell Research

THE AMES TEST!!!!!!!

No it doesn't

The opinion of political appointees does not trump primary research. That's how science works.
  • KevDaniel
    KevDaniel Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I am not exactly sure what happened to MFP and when it became such a cynical, mean spirited community; however, for your question I would say this.

Sure, getting your veggies straight from your garden, rinsed with clean water (most tap water also contains chlorine), and straight to your plate would be ideal.

That goes for just about any food, even meat would be best if it was grass fed, or hunted and no processing. You have to kind of choose your battles on this one and do the best most reasonable things you can do within your lifestyle, budget, and reality.

If you can only afford some organic a good rule of thumb is if it has a thicker skin (melons, bananas) it is less likely that the chemicals made it to your food. So buy your skinless, thin skinned organics first.

Life is a balance and a journey, do the best you can, in the end we all die so leave some room for enjoyment.

One thing I do avoid like the plague is corn, but that is because of Monsanto.. Evil company right there.