Health food not so healthy???

Options
Beata375
Beata375 Posts: 68 Member
What is the one food that you used to think was a healthy choice that you have since learned otherwise?

For me its the Baby Carrots. Learning they are doused in chlorine and "bred" to be little ~ it grosses me out enough to not eat them anymore. What's your food?

Replies

• tonyrocks922
    tonyrocks922 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Yeah all those cleaned and bred vegetables are killing us.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    What is the one food that you used to think was a healthy choice that you have since learned otherwise?

For me its the Baby Carrots. Learning they are doused in chlorine and "bred" to be little ~ it grosses me out enough to not eat them anymore. What's your food?

Whole grains, legumes and dairy. Also I found out foods that contain chemicals are bad :/
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    Snopes can be a wealth of helpful information.

http://www.snopes.com/food/tainted/carrots.asp

Baby carrots are cut from larger "imperfect" carrots. They are not 'bred". They are rinsed in a chlorine solution, then rinsed again with clean water. Do you not wash your veggies before eating them?
  • iceey
    iceey Posts: 354 Member
    Options

Carrots myth is not quite true. So eat up your carrots! http://urbanlegends.about.com/od/fooddrink/a/baby_carrots.htm
  • Fit_French
    Fit_French Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I also dont eat dairy or whole grains
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Definately the veggies making us all fat and unhealthy..lol

check labels and brands they dont' all do that.. get organic and those raised without chemicals.

I'm not suprised by anything anymore.. I just eat as close to nature as I can and chalk up the few chemicals I eat to the 20% nono-clean portion of my diet. LOL
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    This thread should get interesting...

1242925128_houseomnomnom.gif
  • christabel6
    christabel6 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Baby carrots are cut from larger "imperfect" carrots. They are not 'bred". They are rinsed in a chlorine solution, then rinsed again with clean water. Do you not wash your veggies before eating them?

Not in bleach, I don't!
  • iceey
    iceey Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Sky - you just beat me to it!
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    Bananas. I read on like this internet pop up thing that it's like one of 5 foods never to like buy or eat again.
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options

Not in bleach, I don't!

Bleach is a common cleanser and when used in diluted solutions is absolutely harmless, especially after rinsing. Fear mongering will not get us anywhere.
  • telt4
    telt4 Posts: 18 Member
    Options

Carrots myth is not quite true. So eat up your carrots! http://urbanlegends.about.com/od/fooddrink/a/baby_carrots.htm
    [/q
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    always check snopes
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options

Whole grains, legumes and dairy. Also I found out foods that contain chemicals are bad :/

Carbs and protein because they spike my insulin.

Also anything non organic.
  • telt4
    Options
    Sorry Im new at posting in the forums so didnt quite post that where it was supposed to go!
  • rlv2680
    rlv2680 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Almond Milk:(
    Grains/legumes/dairy
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options

Not in bleach, I don't!

Plenty of people do! It is a basic health precaution in most parts of the world. Many people who shop at farmers markets but a spray solution for cleaning vegetables. The most popular sprays are mild bleach water. It is one of the best disinfectants we have.

All your vegetables and fruits have been bred. That just means the farmers do what they can to maximize the desireable qualities and minimize cost.
  • telt4
    Options
    Shew yall scared me for a sec cause I love baby carrots!
  • drchimpanzee
    drchimpanzee Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    Penn & Teller did a funny bit on B*ll**** where they chopped several fruits in half then told people one half was organic and the other half was non-organic. The vast majority of the people said the organic half (keep in mind again, this was from the same fruit) tasted better. Organic is marketing hype. Feel free to pay double for your veggies though if you really feel the need.
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options

Not in bleach, I don't!

Bleach is a common cleanser and when used in diluted solutions is absolutely harmless, especially after rinsing. Fear mongering will not get us anywhere.
    Yep. If you've been in any child care center, restaurant, hotel, or hospital, you have likely come into contact with a bleach solution.

I don't eat baby carrots because they're not manly enough.