Health food not so healthy???

Options

Replies

• dorianaldyn
    dorianaldyn Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Penn & Teller did a funny bit on B*ll**** where they chopped several fruits in half then told people one half was organic and the other half was non-organic. The vast majority of the people said the organic half (keep in mind again, this was from the same fruit) tasted better. Organic is marketing hype. Feel free to pay double for your veggies though if you really feel the need.

I would never argue that organic produce tastes any better than their conventionally grown counterparts. I don't buy organic for taste, I buy organic to avoid toxic chemicals. In general, all our produce comes from our CSA, so it's all locally grown and organic. We eat what is in season. The glaring exception are the many bananas we buy - my husband has to have a banana every morning and those do not grow anywhere near where I live!
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter. There's something about how it doesn't really have a lot of protein compared to some other lower-fat foods.

I don't like peanut butter really, either, so it doesn't much matter to me.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Grains, Dairy, and Legumes

OK now why are these bad? We sure have some paranoid eaters here. Jeez.

Anti nutrients, toxins and dairy is for baby mammals only

And don't forget the leaky gut syndrome.
  • taelardinois
    taelardinois Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Oh and protein bars. Many have as much sugar as a candy bar.
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Cherry slurpees :)
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options

so much this.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

so much this.

That banana you ate? Has as much sugar as a Snickers
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    I learned from a number of MFP users that it is essential to avoid "chemicals" in foods.

This has been very hard for me, I keep looking and it seems like EVERYTHING is made of chemicals!

I'm doing my best, no food, no liquids, I avoid contact from people, plants, and animals.

It's probably trying not to breathe that I have found to be the hardest part.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Snopes can be a wealth of helpful information.

http://www.snopes.com/food/tainted/carrots.asp

Baby carrots are cut from larger "imperfect" carrots. They are not 'bred". They are rinsed in a chlorine solution, then rinsed again with clean water. Do you not wash your veggies before eating them?

I agree that it can be a wealth of information ~ when correct. This is also from snopes:

"Baby carrots are not now made from larger imperfect carrots.........The carrots now used to make "baby cut carrots" have been specifcally bred and contain more sugar than their standard sized because this extra sweetness appeals more to children....."

Yes I was my veggies, not in chlorine though ~ which is a practice that is outlawed in several countries. Just because something is allowed here doesn't mean its a healthy thing ~ look at HFCS.
    You do know that chloride is an essential nutrient, right? You'd be dead without it. Also, the water you wash your carrots in? Treated with chlorine. Might want to stop eating vegetables all together, since you seem to be so afraid of chlorine and food, since most vegetables contain pretty high amounts of the stuff naturally (it's one of the nutrients in them.)
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    Gosh you all are so smart
  • BrainsOnGains
    BrainsOnGains Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I learned from a number of MFP users that it is essential to avoid "chemicals" in foods.

This has been very hard for me, I keep looking and it seems like EVERYTHING is made of chemicals!

I'm doing my best, no food, no liquids, I avoid contact from people, plants, and animals.

I thought I was the only one. I don't even like having blood in my body.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options

Aren't those the things Primal avoids?
  • CoachReddy
    Options

Aren't those the things Primal avoids?

yes.
  • moustache_flavored_lube
    Options
    There is a study somewhere showing that reading this thread is giving you cancer.
  • oldmanrivererik
    oldmanrivererik Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    You know they put bleach (chlorine) in drinking water...and fluoride...
  • sheldonz42
    sheldonz42 Posts: 233 Member
    Options

QFT
  • angiechimpanzee
    angiechimpanzee Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I'm already annoyed with this thread..
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    The "bad" foods...

Fruit, Vegetables, whole grains, not whole grains, dairy, soy, anything with chemicals in it, anything without chemicals in it, water, sugar, alcohol, legumes, nuts, eggs, egg whites, egg substitutes, herbs, spices, sugar again,...

f'in paranoid MFP universe...

1290603068_crazy-brazilian-murderer-interview.gif
  • jivitasa
    jivitasa Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Taco bell
  • angiechimpanzee
    angiechimpanzee Posts: 536 Member
    Options

This