Fasting diet

Options

Replies

• ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    I did it ten yrs ago and lost 30 lbs. I loved it. bc it worked for weight loss. I would lose 3 lbs a week from it, but gained 1 lb back by week's end so it was a 2 lb deficit. I didn't notice any health benefits to it. If they happened, I wasn't aware of them.

I am currently doing a different cleanse now. The Master Cleanse. It's controversial, but I have done extensive research and have tried it twice, I did NOT gain all the weight back and thus 7 mos later am trying it a third time. I begin in the morning and will end April 4th. I did it to cleanse from the allergies I some how adopted. I had migraines due to that too. The cleanse made me feel like a new person. I LOVED the way I felt. No allergies either. It call came back though.

So you're gonna go an entire month not eating solid food, or if you are, in pitifully small amounts? With your only nutrient source coming from a glass of syrup and cayenne pepper?

That's a bad idea. Really, really bad idea. At least with 5:2 fasting you have ample chances to get your food in and eat it well.
    The Master Cleanse can only be critiqued by medical professionals or by experienced cleansers who have also read the book. Thank you though for your input. Trust me, I'll come out healthier. I will be consuming 1200 calories a day, loaded with nutrients, but not a variety of nutrients. Lemon juice on an empty stomach has been proven to balance ph and kill cancer cells for one.

Lemon juice has been proven to kill cancer cells??

Link ?
    There are pages and pages of links for this. You want me to copy and paste them all here? How many would you like? Is ten enough or more? Or you can Google the following, "lemon juice kills cancer cells". Or rather "lemon juice kills cancer". Either way, let me know and I'll go to Google and then type that in and then do all of the copying and pasting for you.

Fantastic editing again - that link you just posted was disproving your point - not proving it.

http://www.hoax-slayer.com/lemon-cancer-cells.shtml
    I didn't post that link. I am not here to argue with you about lemon juice. YOu can Google, you can read, you can read ONLY the information which a doctor posts. If a doctor doesn't write the article or say it I don't listen to it. But guess where I found out about it? My dad's doctor when he had cancer. Please find someone else to fight with. I am done. You are on ignore.

yes, you did post that link, which is where I got it from, and then you obviously realised your error and edited the post

You can't just post ridiculous claims, and then refuse to provide evidence to back them up. Especially for something as important as cancer

http://urbanlegends.about.com/od/medical/a/Lemons-And-Cancer.htm

"While it's true that recent scientific studies have shown that lemons and other citrus fruits contain compounds which may have anti-carcinogenic properties, I've found nothing in the existing literature to support the wildly exaggerated claims above — for example, the claim that lemon is "10,000 times stronger than chemotherapy," or the claim that it is "a proven remedy against cancers of all types."

Nor have I found evidence to support the allegation that these claims originated from "one of the largest drug manufacturers in the world."

A representative of the Institute of Health Sciences told me the organization did not publish the text, was not the source of the claims, and indeed, as an allied health school, isn't in the business of providing medical information to the general public"
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    S_U_M_M_E_R has deactivated their account.

Shame, she was quite entertaining.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    S_U_M_M_E_R has deactivated their account.

I think this is a good thing for everyone. I could feel myself dropping iq everyone i read that BS.
  • sarac7620
    sarac7620 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I have just started the 5:2 diet. today is my frst fast day and so far it's fine. Please add me if you are doing this too. the support would be great :)
  • ekr1984
    ekr1984 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I'm doing my first 5:2 day today. I've been on my TDEE calories for a few weeks and haven't seen a drop. Hoping this will help jump things in the right direction. I had a protein shake for breakfast (150 cals) then I'm keeping up my water all day and have a good dinner planned with turkey breast, mashed potatoes, carrots and asparagus. It's a work out day though so I'll go at a moderate level so that I don't crash myself out.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Your TDEE is your maintenance level - if you eat at that then no, you wont lose weight.
  • ekr1984
    ekr1984 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I put my TDEE at a deficit but I don't know. Maybe i'm just too impatient to see losses.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    yep, love it, there is a good group on here.
  • MelanieSkittle
    MelanieSkittle Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Here are some points to consider for people in here interested in/ trying to do 5:2.......

1. If you are eating some of your allotted 500 cal for breakfast, then you are breaking your fast the moment you swallow your food. It's not "fasting" if your body is no longer fasted.

2. You shouldn't feel dizzy when fasting, only a little hungry. The dizziness is likely because you ate a 100 cal breakfast, got your body's digestive enzymes flowing, but then there wasn't really any food available. The result is that you feel miserable (and crave food).

Anyway, in answer to the original questions, I do 5:2 and I eat ~2000 cal on non fast days, and 500 cal for dinner (after fasting, no food at all, since the previous day's dinner) on fast days. That averages out to 1550 cal each day, which is important because it keeps me at a very reasonable deficit.
  • melaniecheeks
    Options
    Fasting is a bit if a misnomer, but for those if us who are here actually trying to follow the approach given by dr Michael mosely in his documentary and book, then it's ok to have your 500 calories whatever way you like.

Tdee is your total daily energy expenditure, its the amount of energy you actually use each day. You don't "set" it.
  • Keiras_Mom
    Keiras_Mom Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    Here are some points to consider for people in here interested in/ trying to do 5:2.......

1. If you are eating some of your allotted 500 cal for breakfast, then you are breaking your fast the moment you swallow your food. It's not "fasting" if your body is no longer fasted.

2. You shouldn't feel dizzy when fasting, only a little hungry. The dizziness is likely because you ate a 100 cal breakfast, got your body's digestive enzymes flowing, but then there wasn't really any food available. The result is that you feel miserable (and crave food).

Anyway, in answer to the original questions, I do 5:2 and I eat ~2000 cal on non fast days, and 500 cal for dinner (after fasting, no food at all, since the previous day's dinner) on fast days. That averages out to 1550 cal each day, which is important because it keeps me at a very reasonable deficit.

1. The benefits of fasting occur with 500 calories on your fasting day, no matter how you spread them out.

2. Each of our bodies is unique. I can eat small amounts spread throughout the day without getting dizzy or especially hungry. Likewise, I can eat nothing until dinner. I agree that there's no reason anyone should feel dizzy fasting, but I don't agree with your example. Most often, it's an electrolyte issue, where a mug of broth would help, or making sure enough water has been consumed.

I think it's great to share your experiences, but not so much to make blanket statements about a WOE that may not apply to all who do it.
  • Keiras_Mom
    Keiras_Mom Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    Fasting is a bit if a misnomer, but for those if us who are here actually trying to follow the approach given by dr Michael mosely in his documentary and book, then it's ok to have your 500 calories whatever way you like.

Tdee is your total daily energy expenditure, its the amount of energy you actually use each day. You don't "set" it.

This ^^ :drinker:
  • tinadaybreaker01
    Options

Dr Mosley says that you can eat your 500 calories any way you want to. I split mine between breakfast and dinner - no lunch. I know others who eat an apple for lunch because they cant wait till dinner. We have all lost weight with this diet. Have you read the book? He actually includes recipes to show how you can split your calories this way. I love this diet. Started Jan 14th and have lost 10lbs.
  • melaniecheeks
    Options
    As an aside, I'm pretty sure I saw a new S_U_M_M_E_R incarnation posting about the master cleanse recently.
  • be_patient
    be_patient Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    i want to try this, but don't want to ruin my body with fad diets...how has it gone for you? or anyone else that has tried it?
  • be_patient
    be_patient Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    hey! how was it? are you still on it and have you lost any weight? i might try it but im not 100% sure whether it's worth the effort until there will be results! :)
  • xjckemx
    xjckemx Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Hi, how is everyone getting on with this fasting diet, I like the idea but am to scared to try incase I eat way to much on the 5 days!!! And I'm kinda doing ok slowly with watching my daily intake but be nice to eat a little more some days!!
  • witchy_wife
    witchy_wife Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    The 5:2 is a great diet and way of life for people (in my opinion).

I'm not currently doing it as I am doing a keto diet for a few weeks. I like keto as it really helps with my cravings for junks food, I find it very easy once on it. I know lots of people do keto for life but I know I couldn't do that.

The 5:2 diet, I reckon I could follow for life (dropping to 6:1 at maintenance). I like being able to eat 2000 calories 5 days a week and only restricting calories 2 days. Yes it is a severe restriction, but after the first couple of fasts it is easier than you think. I always skipped breakfast just having a couple of cups of coffee, then something like a low calorie vegetable or chicken noodle soup for lunch. My evenings meals were normally some kind of meat or fish with lots of veggies. Or I did sometimes have Weight Watchers meals with lots of added extra veggies :)

Once I decide to come off keto I will definitely switch back to 5:2. It isn't for everyone, but I found that the thought of just 500 calories for two days a week was much worse than it actually was in reality.
  • pixish
    pixish Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I think people should check with a doctor before starting it. It would surely mess with your blood sugar? I know that I couldn't do it, and diabetics probably would have problems too...
  • flynnfinn
    flynnfinn Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    i do 20:4 intermittent fasting. love it! trying to shed the last 5-6lbs but it is getting tough now. i also follow a ketogenic diet (high fat/mod protein/low carb). for maintenance i plan to switch to 5:2 fasting and slowly add "slow" carbs back.

intermittent fasting works great for me because i have an "all or nothing" personality. i eat one big meal a day and that's it. before i was eating multiple small meals and it just drove me nuts and made me eat more. i couldn't handle eating small 300-400 calorie meals/snacks every 3-4 hours. it was like i was being teased. with IF, i just get it all done and over with in one big bang.

it's an individual choice though and it's all about finding what works for you. for every person pro-fasting, you'll find some one against it.