HOW do I get enough protein??? (vegetarian)

Options

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    8oz greek yogurt: 133 cals 24g pro
    170g seitan: 240 cals 42g pro
    2 cups skim milk: 172 cals 17g pro
    1 cup ff cottage cheese: 160 cals 30g pro
    1/2 cup shelled edamame: 120 cals 9g pro

Total: 825 calories 122g protein
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    Beans (edamame, soy, kidney, white beans, lima beans, black beans, mung beans, lentils) - These are great in salads etc
    nuts (there are many kinds, roasted are delicious, I love peanuts)
    seeds (roasted pumpkin seeds are probably my favorite)
    Quinoa
    Theres traces of protein in lots of things such as Spirulina, cocoa, .etc.

eggs
    greek yogurt
    milk

And there's always protein powders that are vegetarian as well.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    greek yogurt, cottage cheese, eggs.

I was at 135 g protein before dinner, no meat or fish. I use vitasport Pro-7 protein (34g per 150 cals), and because today was a long day at work, I also had a protein bar, although I don't make a habit of having them. Usually I can hit 110-120 no problem.

pst thats all from animals

It is all vegetarian
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Dear Smiley,

How are you today? I've recently started doing a vegetarian diet (as much as I can) because of allergies and what feels like a hormone imbalance, so I would love any suggestions you have as well. These are my newly discovered favorites:

Mung beans. 1/4 cup has 12g of protein and you can sprout them yourself with water and a towel. Fun!
    Boca Burgers. 120 cals/15g protein. With spicy mustard and tomatoes.

P.S. Ultimately, it is your choice, though I agree with the person whose opinion was that your protein goal is too high.
    135g protein=540 cals. I would increase my protein intake steadily over time.
    . Also, too much protein breakdown can create a more acidic environment in your body, and acid breaks down
    . lots of good stuff.
    Emmy

That protein goal does not look too high at all.
  • always_odd
    always_odd Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    GREEK YOGURT
  • hannahamay
    hannahamay Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    You really don't need 120g a day in the first place, so maybe that could be your problem. Too much protein can be a bad thing, and most people are unaware of that.
    I'm vegan and I eat nuts, beans, tofu, boca burgers, oats, peas, brown rice, and on occasion I'll drink a protein shake or eat a bar if I feel like I need more. Since you are vegetarian you can also get protein from eggs and dairy, though I would stay away from anything high in fat. When I was vegetarian I would eat fat free cottage cheese, greek yogurt, and egg whites.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    You really don't need 120g a day in the first place, so maybe that could be your problem. Too much protein can be a bad thing, and most people are unaware of that.
    I'm vegan and I eat nuts, beans, tofu, boca burgers, oats, peas, brown rice, and on occasion I'll drink a protein shake or eat a bar if I feel like I need more. Since you are vegetarian you can also get protein from eggs and dairy, though I would stay away from anything high in fat. When I was vegetarian I would eat fat free cottage cheese, greek yogurt, and egg whites.

I would agree with this. There is research out there to indicate that too much protein, especially animal protein, can contribute towards disease and a shorter lifespan, though of course, it is up to anyone what research they believe as I am sure there might be research that contradicts that... Not that I have found any. It might depend on activity level as to how damaging an excess of protein might be. I am not fussing so much over it these days, as long as I get in 60-70g.
  • CoderGal
    Options
    Dear Smiley,

How are you today? I've recently started doing a vegetarian diet (as much as I can) because of allergies and what feels like a hormone imbalance, so I would love any suggestions you have as well. These are my newly discovered favorites:

Mung beans. 1/4 cup has 12g of protein and you can sprout them yourself with water and a towel. Fun!

P.S. Ultimately, it is your choice, though I agree with the person whose opinion was that your protein goal is too high.
    . Also, too much protein breakdown can create a more acidic environment in your body, and acid breaks down
    . lots of good stuff.
    Emmy

^This. If you can find a person who suffered from to much protein I assure you it was leaps and bounds above this. The recommendations on MFP is far to low if you ask me...and a lot of other people...and allot of scholarly articles. The .8g/kg the the American and Canadian guideline recommends was based on structural requirements, it disregarded the use of protein for energy metabolism. If you can move, you need more. If you are over weight, more is better. If you are dieting, more is better. If you exercise, more is better. Put them all together and more is better.
  • CoderGal
    Options

I would agree with this. There is research out there to indicate that too much protein, especially animal protein, can contribute towards disease and a shorter lifespan, though of course, it is up to anyone what research they believe as I am sure there might be research that contradicts that... Not that I have found any. It might depend on activity level as to how damaging an excess of protein might be. I am not fussing so much over it these days, as long as I get in 60-70g.
    'to much protein'. Which is a lot more protein then 120g in this case.
  • groversa
    groversa Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Dear Smiley,

. lots of good stuff.
    Emmy

^This. If you can find a person who suffered from to much protein I assure you it was leaps and bounds above this. The recommendations on MFP is far to low if you ask me...and a lot of other people...and allot of scholarly articles. The .8g/kg the the American and Canadian guideline recommends was based on structural requirements, it disregarded the use of protein for energy metabolism. If you can move, you need more. If you are over weight, more is better. If you are dieting, more is better. If you exercise, more is better. Put them all together and more is better.

Thanks, i was feeling a little discouraged with everyone saying my goal is way too high..when the reason I made it that high was because I was told that is best for me. gahhh
  • groversa
    groversa Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I have my protein set at 30% of my calories on my MFP, which is what I've been told and seen is the best..
  • RomanaW
    RomanaW Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I've just ordered Sunwarrior vegan protein to increase my levels. Let see how it goes. It has good reviews.
  • CoderGal
    Options
    Dear Smiley,

. lots of good stuff.
    Emmy

Thanks, i was feeling a little discouraged with everyone saying my goal is way too high..when the reason I made it that high was because I was told that is best for me. gahhh
    I can't really tell you if it's high for you or not as I don't know your statistics but I do not consider it a high number. Personally I stick to about 1.8g/kg of body mass (or .8g/lb of body mass). I know many who choose slightly more then that which I have no problem with since they're active. Oh, and I usually go over lol. Ironic because before I had a hard time getting about half of that...until my hair started falling out...then I had no problem upping lol.
  • CoderGal
    Options
    I have my protein set at 30% of my calories on my MFP, which is what I've been told and seen is the best..
    That would mean different things to different people since some are on small and large deficits and some are maintaining etc. Many people/studies usually set their protein ratio up by grams per body mass.

Also I'll add this is an opinionated topic. Many argue over what is max. The minimum however is a different story if you ask me. The RDI recommendations are far to low and there is lots of supporting evidence for this. Where as when you talk about maximum amounts I see a lot of flaws and holes in some of these arguments...and things seem to be all over the place and the numbers always vary depending on the source. Maybe because there's not enough studies to determine what is considered to much to apply to a general set of people. over/under weight, calorie surplus/deficit, activity level can all change needs.

It's also important to consider your sources. The person who told you to pick that number, are they for a particular diet (paleo, low carb, etc). Don't let their choices affect yours unless it's informed.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options

By a dietician? They are probably the one you should ask about how to Wat that much protein too.
  • ldbuster0
    ldbuster0 Posts: 207
    Options
    Start including good vegetarian proteins into your diet - tofu, seitan, tempeh, lentils and other legumes. Then supplement that with high-protein add-ins: raw broccoli, other raw veggies and oats don't have "high" protein on their own, but they can add up when included with other foods. I am also a big fan of Clif Bars and Clif Builder bars - they have between 10 and 20g protein per bar, and make a great afternoon snack or meal replacement.

Instead of drinking an Herbalife shake, you could blend silken tofu with protein powder and soy milk and have at least 40g protein in that shake alone. It helps to plan out your meals beforehand so you can make sure you are meeting your macros. Feel free to peek through my diary for animal-free protein inspiration!

I have to try some of these proteins.
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. I never get even close.

I'm a strange sort of psuedo-vegetarian. I stopped eating meat as a little girl because it grossed me out, but I can occasionally stomach a little lean ground beef (maybe once a week). I will also do chicken broth in soup or cooked in rice. But I don't like eggs, cheese, tofu, yogurt, and only have milk with cereal. It's a struggle.
    It's called flexitarian.
  • mmk2988
    mmk2988 Posts: 43
    Options
    I am also vegetarian, my daily goal is 85 grams, I usually get around 70-80 daily. You can see my diary to get ideas.
  • mhb37
    mhb37 Posts: 5
    Options
    Use Seitan , tofu, any of the Quorn, boca, or tofurkey products
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Do you happen to have those studies as I would be interested in reading them - I assume that they are peer reviewed studies that show a causation (not meta analysis that show a correlation).