Why im not losing weight???

Options

Replies

• ecw3780
    ecw3780 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    your body does not have a reset button that goes off at midnight. when you eat doesn't matter, what you eat does. As for what you are eating, based on the foods you don't eat and how little you actually eat, I suspect you have some disordered eating and should consider professional help.
  • Bikini_by_30
    Bikini_by_30 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Eat something. 1000 calories?? That's a recipe for disaster.
  • darlilama
    darlilama Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Under 1000 calories is FAR TOO LITTLE.

You probably need at least 600 more calories.

Go check with this http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

Then be sure and read this thread http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/912920-in-place-of-a-road-map-3-2013

It also doesn't matter what time you eat. Your body can't tell time. All that crap about not skipping breakfast, eating 6 meals a day, and not eating after X pm is just crap. You can do all those things, but you certainly don't have to.

It does matter what time of day you eat. If you eat a meal right before bed, you are not giving your body time to burn those calories, you should never eat a meal 3 hours before bed, your body goes into a resting stage and will store all those carbs, fats and unwated calories. Women should always eat a healthy breakfast, it does help with weight loss and will help with snacking unhealthy foods throughout the day.

The reason you should not eat 3 hours or less before bed has to do with acid indigestion/acid reflux. Even if you don't have problems now, if you ignore the advice, you could have problems later. I would be an example of that. It does NOT have anything to do with what your body does with the food you eat.
  • cbkb1234
    cbkb1234 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    NO MEALS AFTER 4?!?!?! WHAT?! lol there's your answer you gotta eat more and spread it out until at least 8 pm oh I want to add 123 is already small for your height ! I would be worried about getting toned not losing more weight!
  • debraakirk
    Options
    I was thinking the exact same thing. She is already at a normal weight for her height!
  • Textmessage
    Textmessage Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Im eating healthy as possible, lot of fruits, vegetables,no sugar,no meat, low carb,high fiber, protein from milkproducts,eggs ,under 1000 cal per day.and no meals after 4 pm. im working out for 1 hour everday. and im really constant. why im not getting skinny? ( rightnow im 5'3 123.3lbs)

Because you aren't a man. Duh.
  • robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options

Then be sure and read this thread http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/912920-in-place-of-a-road-map-3-2013

It also doesn't matter what time you eat. Your body can't tell time. All that crap about not skipping breakfast, eating 6 meals a day, and not eating after X pm is just crap. You can do all those things, but you certainly don't have to.

It does matter what time of day you eat. If you eat a meal right before bed, you are not giving your body time to burn those calories, you should never eat a meal 3 hours before bed, your body goes into a resting stage and will store all those carbs, fats and unwated calories. Women should always eat a healthy breakfast, it does help with weight loss and will help with snacking unhealthy foods throughout the day.

Clearly my snacking at 11pm and not usually eating til 10am is impeding my weight loss. And I totally didn't cut my body fat by 5% in the last month.

To the op: you are at a perfectly lovely weight for your height. No need to starve yourself. If you are seeking to lose inches, you might try weight lifting, it will help build healthy muscle if you are eating right. The number on the scale does not always reflect the size of your body, and shouldn't affect how you feel about yourself. Good luck!
  • dianamatienzo
    Options
    You are definitely eating too little! Especially for your age, because your body is still developing and needs more calories than an adult your size, believe it or not.
  • bjean1964
    bjean1964 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    You are eating too few calories and not a balanced diet. Here is a tip from Jillian Micheals Slim for Life book that explains why we need a balanced diet.!

Here’s the deal. Fats, carbs, and protein all play necessary roles in the way our bodies function. We need them— yes, fat too. And a fat-free diet can increase your cravings. Fat is an essential element and should make up 20 to 30 percent of your daily food intake. You can choose fats that support your health and immune system, like salmon, coconut oil, avocados, and nuts. The key is to eat quality, more nutritious versions of the macronutrients and food groups. That will serve another purpose, too— to keep you full longer. Try substituting a high-protein, high-fiber grain like quinoa (pronounced KEEN-wah) for white rice, which is nutrient empty; grab olive oil, which is a healthy fat, rather than hydrogenated trans fats. Reach for grass-fed, natural beef, not corn-fed meat laden with hormones and antibiotics. I’ll get into this more later, but the point is to eat with common sense and balance. And you don’t need to make yourself miserable because a diet says you can never have a sandwich again.

Michaels, Jillian (2013-02-12). Slim for Life: My Insider Secrets to Simple, Fast, and Lasting Weight Loss (Kindle Locations 336-340). Crown Publishing Group. Kindle Edition.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    You'll lose weight eventually...eating 1000 calories. Maybe it's just me...but 123 is a healthy weight for your height...
  • superprim
    superprim Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Whats wrong with 5'3 and 123 lbs...
  • volume77
    volume77 Posts: 670 Member
    Options

no.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    It's funny---every single thread that I come across where the OP isn't losing weight, they state they are eating 1200 calories or below...you would think people would learn...

Actually, it's not that funny. EAT.

/thread
  • LizLeigh19
    LizLeigh19 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I would definitely say that you are not eating enough. I would also say that an hour of excercise is good, but try to push yourself. The more the better! (For the most part, don't over do it) Also, drink more water and watch your salt in take.
  • metacognition
    metacognition Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    You are training your body to excel at staying the same weight with fewer calories.

You need to slowly increase the amount you are eating, and consider lifting weights to counteract lean muscle loss that occurs with hard deficits. Also consider changing your exercise every 12 weeks or so - high intensity interval training will shock your body more than steady state cardio.

When I stayed at 1200 calories my weight loss slowed to a crawl after 3 - 4 days. I would hit 1600 calories for one day and my weight would increase and stay that way for a few days. The scale drove me nuts at this point.

Now I'm routinely eating between 1600 and 2000 calories per day and my weight is not going up at all. It's not going down either but it doesn't matter because my body fat percentage is decreasing.
  • ewalker160
    ewalker160 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I hit a plateau eating 1000-1200 calories-- I did lose about 12lbs b4 the plateau, so I was afraid to up my calories and eating the exercise calories--- however, once I did the weight started comin off again. I also added different foods to my diet, like spinach, walnuts, tuna and blueberries. Before that I was eating other berries, nuts and fish... Switching things up seemed to give me a boost as well...I really can't be sure which stopped the plateau or if both helped.
  • jesz124
    jesz124 Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Has the OP even checked back to reply to 4 pages of advice? I suspect the advice of eat more wasn't the required answer and failed to compute in OP brain? OP at your weight/height it's probably not weight loss you need as such. You probably just need to change your muscle v's fat ratio. Strength train, eat more protein and keep a small calorie deficit and have patience if you really are serious about changing your body.
  • flynnfinn
    flynnfinn Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Because you are not eating enough. You should be eating 1200 cals AND your exercise calories to lose weight!

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/core_march_8.htm

Again, I'm going to ask WHY people are telling this girl HOW to lose weight when she's 5'3'' and 123 lbs!?? Get with it, people.

why can't we all just play nice? i don't understand why it is necessary to call the OP out or to tell people to "get with it". if they want to answer her and give her advice, regardless of how ridiculous she sounds, what does it matter?

we're supposed to be supporting each other. not everyone is telling her how to lose weight. others are on here giving her solid advice (eat more, strength train, etc). maybe she's 123lbs but is like 30% body fat...that seems highly unlikely but you never know.
  • sistarasta
    sistarasta Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    yes eating far too little. Also your BMI is only 21, so very much within the healthy range, bordering on the underweight level, are you sure you have weight to lose?
  • andiechick
    andiechick Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    You people are trying to give weight loss advice to a girl who claims to want to lose weight yet she is 5'3'' and 123 lbs. I am 5'1'' and 123 lbs and overweight I am not. So... stop telling this girl how to lose weight and tell her something different. Tell her if she wants to tone up to lift weights, etc....

^^^This, I don't think the scales should be dropping at all