White rice or brown rice?

Options

Replies

• Going4Lean
    Going4Lean Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    For me there is no substitute for white rice.
    I have tried brown rice, but it makes me feel bloated and it doesn't taste right.
  • PVBGRL63
    PVBGRL63 Posts: 4
    Options
    Brown Rice is the healthier one, no white flour. I do not eat any white bread or white rice everything is whole wheat including pasta.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    Considering that rice is probably not going to compose the majority of your diet, I would base this decision on taste.

This. While overall brown rice is a bit more nutricious....go with taste unless its a huge part of your everyday diet.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Spanish yellow rice please. Oh it lacks nutritional value? Who cares, tastes great. Especially in Tacos.

People worrying to much about such miniscule things. Enjoy the food you eat, don't force feed yourself something you know doesn't taste better.

White rice is generally enriched.. this means any nutrients (or most) were lost during processing, then added back in. Then we wash or boil said rice in water and lose even more nutrients. White rice often times also has sugar added, so of course it "tastes" better. Our brain likes the "sugar" rush it gets from the added sugar, our bodies do not. The only reason people say brown rice is not good is because it is high in fiber and can cause constipation. A cup of brown rice is not going to cause this. Brown rice is generally not processed, and retains the vitamins and minerals it has naturally.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Spanish yellow rice please. Oh it lacks nutritional value? Who cares, tastes great. Especially in Tacos.

People worrying to much about such miniscule things. Enjoy the food you eat, don't force feed yourself something you know doesn't taste better.

White rice is generally enriched.. this means any nutrients (or most) were lost during processing, then added back in. Then we wash or boil said rice in water and lose even more nutrients. White rice often times also has sugar added, so of course it "tastes" better. Our brain likes the "sugar" rush it gets from the added sugar, our bodies do not. The only reason people say brown rice is not good is because it is high in fiber and can cause constipation. A cup of brown rice is not going to cause this. Brown rice is generally not processed, and retains the vitamins and minerals it has naturally.

The differences between the two are minimally important in the context of a mixed diet that isn't dominated by rice.
  • EmmaKarney
    EmmaKarney Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    White rice isn't bad - the japanese live the longest of anyone on the planet and white rice is their staple food.
  • kmartinko
    kmartinko Posts: 114
    Options
    I agree. Brown rice is much healthier. Thanks fo the facts
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

White rice often times also has sugar added, so of course it "tastes" better. Our brain likes the "sugar" rush it gets from the added sugar, our bodies do not.

Lol! Whut?? Sugar added? No. Just no.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    Brown Rice is the healthier one, no white flour. I do not eat any white bread or white rice everything is whole wheat including pasta.
    Lol, how is there flour in white rice? It's rice.:laugh:

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    Options

Lol, where the heck are you buying white rice then? Added sugar? I call BS.

IDEA Fitness member
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

And white flour and bread have what to do with rice?? :noway:
  • happydaze71
    happydaze71 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    ... bioavailability of brown rice???Who comes up with this stuff? all I know is white rice reacts with my body like white bread, coz its junk food. No vitamins left nothing, its all been milled out.
    Brown rice tastes better, fills me up, gives me no cravings (which white rice does) and my body must be able to break it down because the um.. toilet factor is, well, better!
    You eat what you feel is right for you, but I'll choose the wholefood everytime over polished junk
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    ... bioavailability of brown rice???Who comes up with this stuff? all I know is white rice reacts with my body like white bread, coz its junk food. No vitamins left nothing, its all been milled out.
    Brown rice tastes better, fills me up, gives me no cravings (which white rice does) and my body must be able to break it down because the um.. toilet factor is, well, better!
    You eat what you feel is right for you, but I'll choose the wholefood everytime over polished junk
    In other words it's subjective. "Polished junk" is what a majority of Asians eat daily and it's obvious that it's not affecting their health and weight issues like it does in Westernized diets.

IDEA Fitness member
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    This is a copy and paste from another thread that someone said with the fiber in the brown rice being a problem.
    The fiber is actually the problem. The fiber in brown rice is the hull. The hull is indigestible. The majority of the nutrients in brown rice are in the hull. Meaning, on paper brown rice has more nutrients, but the human body can't digest and absorb them. It ends up being a waste of calories, really. Bioavailability is a much more important marker of nutrition than just what the food contains. White rice is far more bioavailable than brown rice, making it a better choice. Plus there are much better sources of fiber out there.

Fiber is always indigestible, so I'm not sure what the original poster was trying to get at with this. The problem is the USFDA labeling laws. Check out this article:

http://www.examiner.com/article/if-fiber-is-not-digested-then-why-do-we-count-the-calories-or-carbs-it
    False. Only certain types of fiber are indigestible. Most fiber is at least partially, if not completely digestible.
  • chessgeekdavidb
    chessgeekdavidb Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    A little of topic but if you have friends that are from China I found out the hard way it is considered an insult to serve them brown rice because that is what the lower class eat.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    A little of topic but if you have friends that are from China I found out the hard way it is considered an insult to serve them brown rice because that is what the lower class eat.

I believe it! :laugh:
  • pennydreadful270
    pennydreadful270 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I bought brown basmati for the first time yesterday and what i know for sure is, it tasted awesome.