Fruit make u fat?

Options

Replies

• mueller0131
    mueller0131 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Decrease your carb intake and increase your protein. The protein will help you feel fuller for longer. Eating fruit is good for you but if your looking to increase weightloss just pay attention to your carb and protein intake.
  • TriShamelessly
    TriShamelessly Posts: 905 Member
    Options

To save folks some time, here is the synopsis from the article...

TORONTO - Fructose is sometimes seen as a "dietary bad guy" in the battle against obesity, but a new study suggests it doesn't seem to cause weight gain when substituted for other carbs in diets providing similar calories.

The study, published Monday in the Annals of Internal Medicine, is a meta-analysis of 41 controlled feeding trials looking at the effect of fructose on body weight.

"It's about moderation," said lead author Dr. John Sievenpiper of St. Michael's Hospital, who conducted the study — funded primarily by the Canadian Institutes of Health Research — with other scientists in Toronto, Saskatoon and Boston.

Sounds like common sense!
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options

Sounds like common sense!

What is this I don't even.
  • NZRose7
    NZRose7 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I have been eating ALOT of fruit for the past month or so and basically in that time haven't been able to lose weight even though I've been working our hard and keeping under my calorie goals. It has been very difficult for me to stay strong and carry on with no results. So, today, I was reading how people who want to lose weight should limit their fruit intake to 2-3 servings daily. I'm still on the fence for or against fruit when trying to lose weight, but just to test things out for myself, I'm going to try decreasing my fruit intake and see what happens.
  • phyllisbobbitt
    phyllisbobbitt Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: fruit is good for you but in moderation. it is still a carb & carbs can & do make you gain weight! when i was pregnant i had morning sickness 24/7. the only thing i could keep down was ice cold fruit. but as my doctor stated fruit is a carb & i gained 50 pounds in 6 mos. i eat about 2-3 servings of fruit a day only now.
  • Emglyfolk
    Emglyfolk Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Hi I have the same issue - I eat way too much sugar even tho I stay within my calories and try to focus on natural sugars. Problem is, ANY sugar produces insulin and when you produce insulin you don't burn fat. Your sugar intake on most days is almost 3 times the recommended grams. (mine too). I am making a serious effort to cut sugar and it is helping. I want to lose more than half a pound a week. This is tough as sugar is very addicting. good luck!
  • carling5
    carling5 Posts: 4
    Options
    This debate about fruit is exactly why it is so challenging to make healthy lifestyle changes and why so many people eventually throw in the towel altogether.

Most people know that in order to lose weight and keep it off they have to give up the yummy stuff they REALLY enjoy, or eat them sparingly at the very least. It sucks, but that's the reality. However, it's one thing to forgo butter-soaked movie theater popcorn, it's quite another to be told grapes or bananas are "bad" for you too. At some point, it's just human nature for the deprivation factor to kick-in and the next thing you know you're eating fettuccine Alfredo.

I am a newbie and understand that everyone is trying to contribute,but this kind of contradictory information can be very confusing and discouraging for some. I mean, if we can't eat fruit, what the hell CAN we eat?
  • Terrytriesharder
    Terrytriesharder Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    "You show me someone who got fat eating fruit and I'll show you someone with a deep fryer and too much time on their hands."
  • AprilRN10
    AprilRN10 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    Lots of people don't get breaks. I'm a nurse and I don't either. There are jobs where it just isn't possible. Some people need to wake up.

As for the fruit....EAT it!!!!!!! And enjoy!
  • leahshepherd
    leahshepherd Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Yeah, It sounds abit rediculous to cut out fruit in a low calorie diet because it is making you fat. You are meant to loose weight slowly, its the healthy way to loose it. id say the sneaky icecream would do more damage (oh wait thats me).
  • funhouse77
    funhouse77 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Fruit does not make you fat. Far from it. No food in particular make you fat. The quantity of food your eating, if in excess, makes you fat.

Overeating, large portions, high fat food in large quantities on a daily basis makes you fat. Period. End of.
  • daphne_m
    daphne_m Posts: 84
    Options
    I've lost weight (more than you need to) by eating plenty of fruit and I've also lost weight by going low carb. I'd walk by the fruit at the market and laugh to myself as I thought about all the poor schmucks being taken in by "healthy" fruit. Some time later I realised there were enough good things in my life to make me feel superior to others if I needed the confidence boost. Subsequently I came to understand that feeling superior about my circumstances and life choices while lording it over others (even silently) was pathetic. It's all common sense, isn't it? If something tastes good, is relatively low calorie, packed with vitamins and minerals as well as fibre then it's probably going to be a healthy food choice. There will always be those who offer a contrary view as fact, but there are nutjobs out there who think that creationism is a thing so, you know... fruit 4 lyfe.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    I think if you're fortunate to not have any sort of blood sugar issues, fruit is wonderful. Eat it up! But do track the fruit, and stay within your calories/macros. Don't binge on fruit and neglect your protein and fat intake.
  • jdad1
    jdad1 Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    Fruit does not make you fat, calories make you fat.
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    Yes. Fruit will make you fat if you eat too much and go over your calorie allowance. The fact of the matter is a calorie is a calorie and if you are eating more energy (calories) than you are burning (through living and exercising) then your body stores that excess energy in various forms, be it in glycogen in your liver and muscle tissues, and fat too. The same goes for protein powder, vegetables etc.

Fruit is also quite sugary so may make your insulin spike a bit which can play havoc with weight loss.

The thing is, is that fruit is also quite filling due to its fibre and water content so is a good alternatice to those trying to get healthy for a snack, INSTEAD OF a chocolate bar, crisps etc. It's calorie and fat content is normally a lot lower than those kind of products, more satisfying, healthier and around half the calories. Plus the benefit of quality nutrients like vitamin C, A selenium, etc etc.

I take it this may have been a troll post but thought I'd explain to those genuinely questioning it out there.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,968 Member
    Options
    I remember an apple put me over my calorie allotment one day , so yeah that apple made me fat.:happy:
  • daphne_m
    daphne_m Posts: 84
    Options
    I think if you're fortunate to not have any sort of blood sugar issues, fruit is wonderful. Eat it up! But do track the fruit, and stay within your calories/macros. Don't binge on fruit and neglect your protein and fat intake.

How would I know if I do have blood sugar issues?

Blood test. My doctor does mine a few times a year because I'm already doing blood draws and he likes to be thorough. I just have to fast beforehand. That said, there's no reason to cut out fruit if you're a diabetic especially if by doing so you'll end up binging on sweets.