Ladies - How much do you lift?

Options

Replies

• RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    I just realised...this post started in January 2011, then was randomly re-bumped today. The OP probably won't even see this now, nor will the previous people (posting about butch arms etc)

I like seeing how much everyone's lifting though!

Who keeps reviving these old posts? I need to start checking dates....

Oh! I didn't notice either when I responded. At least maybe this will get some women that are afraid to lift heavy thinking.....
  • gokittygokitty
    Options
    Fat cannot and does not turn into muscle. Fat and muscle are two very different things. It is possible to have one, the other, both or neither. The only thing that is not possible is changing fat into muscle or muscle into fat. Lift heavy, vary your routines and do regular cardio.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    I lift heavy (for me). I do about 8 sets of 5 reps for each exercise. I recently had a break from lifting, but have just started back in the last few weeks. Here is where I'm at today:

Bench: 71.7 lbs
    OHP: 55.1 lbs.
    Deadlift: 132.3 lbs.
    Squat: 110.2 lbs.
    Power Clean: 66.1 lbs.

I've just included the big compound lifts. I do other lifts, and also train with kettlebells.
  • sandradev1
    sandradev1 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I lift heavy (for me) too. Doing SL 5 x 5 and current weights are:

Squats @ 111 lbs
    Bench @ 72 lbs
    OHP @ 58 lbs
    Pendlay Row @ 95 lbs
    Deadlift @ 150 lbs

Lifting rocks :)
  • datsassy03
    Options
    Most gyms will set up a proper lifting program with you . i would ask your gym to set you up a plan in general 3 reps of 10 to 12 at the weight you are ok with once that weight gets "easy" for ya go up in weight....
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,719 Member
    Options
    Bicep curls 30 reps and 25 lbs
    Tricep (skull crushers) 30 reps at 55 lbs
    Deltoid anterior and medial dumbbell raises, 30 reps at 15 lbs
    Deltoid posterior dumbbell work, 30 reps at 10 lbs
    Bench 165 lbs 3 rep max but I did it!!! The rest is 140 at sets of 8
    Dumbbell chest press and flys (super sets) 30 lbs sets of 20
    Rows 70 lbs 30 reps
    Lat pulldown 10 lbs 30 reps
    Squats 335 lbs sets of 10

Impressive. I have nerve damage from contracting Guillain Barre Syndrome so can't do squats as a result of compromised balance.

Bicep curls: 3x10 reps @ 22 lbs
    Shoulder Press 3x8 reps @ 51 lbs
    Bench Press: 3x8 reps @ 99 lbs
    Mid Rows (machine, two sided): 3x10 reps @ 145 lbs
    Lat Pulldown: 3x8 reps @ 99 lbs
    Leg Press (single leg) 3x15 reps @ 49 lbs
  • LesaLu4
    LesaLu4 Posts: 83
    Options
    Just started lifting yesterday, so all this info is great timing. Thanks! I'd love to also know how often do you lift?
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    Hey ladies I'm curious how much do you lift? For example bicep curl - do you do 15-20 reps around 10 pounds or do you do 8-12 reps 25 or more pounds?

I don't do biceps curls. I do compound lifts such as squats, deadlifts, pull-ups, rows, etc. I've found that by doing compound moves, I work on muscles like biceps/triceps without isolating them.

I used to do isolation moves such as the biceps curls before I became educated on the compound lifts, and when I did, I last lifted 25 pound dumbbells in 3 sets of 6-8 reps. That was a long time ago, though, so I don't know what I could do today.
  • JezziedotM
    JezziedotM Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    For bicep curls I aim for 3 sets of 10 reps of 15kg (33 pounds I think). But usually I do 10 reps then 8 then 6ish. That is with the bar, not dumbells.
  • Persephone7676
    Persephone7676 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I try to do 8-10 reps in 3 sets. That being said I try to make it hard to get to the last rep each time. Sometimes by the 3 set I have to let up a little weight. I am trying to get some definition however so I don't mind if I bulk up a bit. This post is timely as I was just laying out my weight lifting for the week. If anyone has any great suggestions on how to bulk up a little for girls I would love to hear it.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    If anyone has any great suggestions on how to bulk up a little for girls I would love to hear it.

Eat slightly more than TDEE and lift heavy. If you want to get big like men get big, take steroids.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    I lift lots, but I don't know about bicep curls specifically..... I don't do them.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    For bicept curls I do 3 sets of 10 reps of 10lbs now. Just moved up. Started at 5lbs a month ago, then went to 7.5, now at 10. Hooray!. For any of those type exercises I do 7.5-10lbs.
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    How much someone can lift is all relative and different for everyone. Routine splits, goals and strength and weakness in certain areas all play a role. Don't be discouraged by going heavy and that being what's heavy for you.

Heavy for me currently and my routine is what I can do with difficulty but without sacrificing form in 6-8 reps. I focus mainly on compound lifts with little focus on isolation lifts.

Currently

Bodyweight Chin-ups Unassist 3x10-12
    Bodyweight Wide Grip Unassist Pull-ups 3x5-6 Grrr
    Squat-115lbs (My weak area)
    Leg Press-245lbs
    Bench-85lbs
    DB Chest Press-70lbs
    Row-110lbs
    Lat Pull-105lb
    Barbell Shoulder-80lbs
    DB Shoulder-60lbs
    DB Bicep Curl-30lbs each/Bar 55lbs
    Deadlifts-Currently can't do well enough bc of a back issue.

Just realized this is an old post but oh well. Lift 3 times a week with a upper/lower split. Legs only once a week though bc it interferes with running for now.
  • cyberskirt
    cyberskirt Posts: 218
    Options
    8x8 of 50lbs now for some... my Personal Trainer is making me lift as much as I lose so far. heh
  • hiyomi
    hiyomi Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    3 sets, 25 reps each, 40 pounds for the seated bicep curl :3 an curl I do 75 pounds
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    Why so many reps ladies??? 25-30 reps once let alone multiple sets is really not doing much in the long run for you. If you can do that many you need to bump it up!
  • frood
    frood Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    At the moment...
    95 lb deadlifts; 3 sets of 5.
    44 lb kettlebell swings; 3 sets of 5.
    22 lb 1/2 get ups; 1 set of 1 each side (with two lighter warmup sets; I just upped this weight from 18 on Friday).
    26 lb goblet squats; 3 sets of 5.
    18 lb 1 arm clean and press; I do a total of 10 cleans and 40 presses each side using ladder sets. 4 sets (1 set = 4 cleans, 10 presses).
    75 lb lat pull down between the C&Ps sets; 3 sets of 5.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    Why so many reps ladies??? 25-30 reps once let alone multiple sets is really not doing much in the long run for you. If you can do that many you need to bump it up!

I agree, work smarter.
  • Lovable12
    Lovable12 Posts: 34
    Options
    SL 5x5 its awesome if you can get through the first few months you will see results!

Squat - 175
    Bench Press - 85
    Barbell Row - 85
    Overhead Press - 60
    Deadlift - 140

Goal is to bench more than my body weight (123 lbs) and get better at overhead press and deadlift!!!