Options
12346»

Replies

• April_Christine
    April_Christine Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    It's called the Master Cleanse.

I suggest you read this:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/851582-master-cleanse-aka-lemonade-diet-my-30-day-story

Also: The Master Cleanse is a particularly ridiculous and potentially dangerous 'cleanse' as the extreme version of it encourages the use of enemas and laxatives. The loon who came up with this in 1940, Stanley Burroughs, was convicted of practicing medicine without a license and imprisoned, and he was convicted of second degree murder, later overturned, for his role in the death of a desperate leukemia patient, whose cancer Burroughs tried to cure with the Master Cleanse and other irresponsible batsh!t crazy practices. To put his totally whacko’ness into perspective, here is a following quote from him when asked about protein “we are able to assimilate and build the nitrogen also into our bodies as protein … by natural bacteria action….” In other words, by breathing!

There is absolutely no reason you need to detox or cleanse anything. Our body does a very good job of it already and there is no medical evidence that these diets actually rid the body of any toxins that would not be discarded in bodily waste under a normal diet.

Eat right, train, rest, repeat.

Edited for typo

ThAnk you for sharing the "my 30 day story" link! Everyone who joins mfp should read it! :flowerforyou:
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    It's called the Master Cleanse.

I suggest you read this:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/851582-master-cleanse-aka-lemonade-diet-my-30-day-story

Also: The Master Cleanse is a particularly ridiculous and potentially dangerous 'cleanse' as the extreme version of it encourages the use of enemas and laxatives. The loon who came up with this in 1940, Stanley Burroughs, was convicted of practicing medicine without a license and imprisoned, and he was convicted of second degree murder, later overturned, for his role in the death of a desperate leukemia patient, whose cancer Burroughs tried to cure with the Master Cleanse and other irresponsible batsh!t crazy practices. To put his totally whacko’ness into perspective, here is a following quote from him when asked about protein “we are able to assimilate and build the nitrogen also into our bodies as protein … by natural bacteria action….” In other words, by breathing!

There is absolutely no reason you need to detox or cleanse anything. Our body does a very good job of it already and there is no medical evidence that these diets actually rid the body of any toxins that would not be discarded in bodily waste under a normal diet.

Eat right, train, rest, repeat.

Edited for typo

ThAnk you for sharing the "my 30 day story" link! Everyone who joins mfp should read it! :flowerforyou:

I think the Mods should sticky that thread personally
  • theCarlton
    theCarlton Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    Are you asking us if we have had success making ourselves urinate and defecate at high rates of speed?
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Are you asking us if we have had success making ourselves urinate and defecate at high rates of speed?

Are you laying down a challenge?
  • theCarlton
    theCarlton Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options

Are you laying down a challenge?
    Yes, I believe I am.
  • KayFi89
    KayFi89 Posts: 39
    Options
    That's exactly what I'm asking.
  • jewel2diamond
    Options
    you could always do a juice fast which would be way more healthy- google it but what it basically is , is juicing mega amounts of veggies along with some fruits- I have never did it but I long to do it... One day soon I hope!
  • terrigrace
    terrigrace Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Just read a great article that answered a lot of my questions. One of the biggest points I came away with was that many of the toxins we are exposed to are found in our fat stores. "Flushing" them out with liquids and laxatives just won't work. Your best bet is old fashioned fat loss.

http://www.acefitness.org/acefit/expert-insight-article/3/2239/Do-detox-diets-work/
  • nc90
    nc90 Posts: 83 Member
    Options

I am a holistic practitioner by trade. I have certifications and degrees in some of the stuff you mentioned above. I have countless documents on people I have helped. Without question and for a FACT that stuff is NOT a joke.

I am definitely in the wrong place. I believe in holistics and not eating ice cream which includes ingredients of rat poison.

I have no business being in this thread.

Could you maybe elaborate on what specific degrees you have and how many science courses you've taken (i.e. anatomy, physiology, biochemistry, etc.)? I'm just curious.

I graduated with a bachelor's in biomedical science, and start medical school this upcoming August. Nowhere in my time during the abundance of human science courses (including nutrition, biochemistry, etc.) did anyone ever say a cleanse could be a healthy option.

To the OP, I wish you luck, and would encourage you to not partake in the cleanse. The human body is an amazing machine that is constantly working to keep itself in balance. Eat right, exercise, and take small steps, you will get there!

Edited for grammar.
  • KayFi89
    Options
    There isn't much support here.

you left off "for doing stupid things."

OP, listen to the folks that have been here found continued and proven success.
    there is no need to do a "fasting cleanse" however a lot of people use "IF" succesfully inlcuding bodybuilders / athletes etc , intermittent fasting is proven to be healthy for you, most people use it once or twice a week. try the eat stop eat program by brad pilon its very interesting reading.
    The OP isn't talking about IF. That requires self control and effort. They're looking for some magic juice that will make them want to die after a few days of drinking it, and thinking that it will be all they need to see change.

I'm not looking for some magic juice to make me instantly lose weight. I exercise and try to my best effort to eat the healthiest I can. I was just reading online about detoxes and found this one and was wondering if anyone had personal experiences with cleanses themselves. I'm not some lazy person looking for a quick fix. I was genuinely curious and I appreciate everyone's responses.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,049 Member
    Options

there is no need to do a "fasting cleanse" however a lot of people use "IF" succesfully inlcuding bodybuilders / athletes etc , intermittent fasting is proven to be healthy for you, most people use it once or twice a week. try the eat stop eat program by brad pilon its very interesting reading.
    The OP isn't talking about IF. That requires self control and effort. They're looking for some magic juice that will make them want to die after a few days of drinking it, and thinking that it will be all they need to see change.

I'm not looking for some magic juice to make me instantly lose weight. I exercise and try to my best effort to eat the healthiest I can. I was just reading online about detoxes and found this one and was wondering if anyone had personal experiences with cleanses themselves. I'm not some lazy person looking for a quick fix. I was genuinely curious and I appreciate everyone's responses.

Please don't think people are attacking you - far from it.

The majority of the argumentative posts are in direct answer to one person who is really one of the very few on this site who thinks it's a good idea to do a cleanse.

When there are 50 who say, "Don't do it, here's why," and one who says, "Great idea," we are hoping you will take notice that it's not a proven method of - well - anything but hunger.

Nothing against you!!
  • KayFi89
    Options

Please don't think people are attacking you - far from it.

The majority of the argumentative posts are in direct answer to one person who is really one of the very few on this site who thinks it's a good idea to do a cleanse.

When there are 50 who say, "Don't do it, here's why," and one who says, "Great idea," we are hoping you will take notice that it's not a proven method of - well - anything but hunger.

Nothing against you!!

I just wanted to explain that "a quick fix" wasn't the reason I asked the cleanse question to begin with. I don't think anyone is attacking me.
  • CaciaXX
    CaciaXX Posts: 37
    Options
    Drinking salt water and taking laxatives is not healthy, as others have said.
    And aside from all that it sounds disgusting and boring.
    Food FTW.
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    1. Drinking saltwater is usually done to induce vomiting
    2. A diet high in acidic foods (such as lemonade) can promote heartburn. Adding cayenne pepper into the mix doesn't help.
    3. Senna tea is a powerful laxative (just because something is natural doesn't mean it isn't a drug). Using it when it isn't needed can damage the intestines.

What are you hoping to get out of the cleanse? That will help us guide you to something that, at the very least, won't harm you.
  • KayFi89
    Options
    2. A diet high in acidic foods (such as lemonade) can promote heartburn. Adding cayenne pepper into the mix doesn't help.
    3. Senna tea is a powerful laxative (just because something is natural doesn't mean it isn't a drug). Using it when it isn't needed can damage the intestines.

What are you hoping to get out of the cleanse? That will help us guide you to something that, at the very least, won't harm you.

I wanted to lose my last 5 pounds before I take my trip to Mexico where I will be spending the majority of the time laying on a beach in a bikini. I've hit a plateau and can't lose the last of my weight. Haven't budged in about 3 months. I'm most likely not going to do that stupid master cleanse. It was just one I was glancing at that I could do with items in my household.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

I wanted to lose my last 5 pounds before I take my trip to Mexico where I will be spending the majority of the time laying on a beach in a bikini. I've hit a plateau and can't lose the last of my weight. Haven't budged in about 3 months. I'm most likely not going to do that stupid master cleanse. It was just one I was glancing at that I could do with items in my household.

There is absolutely no evidence that cleanses help either health wise or aid in weight loss other than water weight.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options

do some form of strength training, eat plenty of protein, also get enough healthy fats, fruits and vegetables, healthy carbs to fuel your workouts, and don't cut your calories too low.

Aim for losing fat at 0.5lb a week, i.e. a very moderate deficit. The leaner you are already, the more likely you are to lose lean body mass along with the fat, which means a) you're losing less fat than you'd think and b) you're losing healthy tissue and c) muscle keeps your metabolism fast and makes your body look fit and healthy.... you don't want to lose it in other words. This means you have to take fat loss really slowly to ensure that it's just fat that you're losing. Quick fixes (like this cleanse you are looking at, or other crash diets) will not make you lose fat any quicker, they'll just make you lose more water, or lean body mass.

The thread "in place of a road map" will help you to calculate how many calories you need to eat each day to lose 0.5lb a week, which would be approx TDEE - 10% or TDEE - 250 cals/day.

I can assure you that cleansing and any "quick fix" diets that result in rapid weight loss, will not shift the fat you want to get rid of, they will at best result in water weight loss, and at worst cause you to lose lean body mass. In either situation, the stubborn fat will be there. You will not lose the actual fat any faster, regardless of how much weight you lose on the scale. Do this the slow and healthy way, and the only thing you lose is fat (which is what you want, right? Loss of stubborn fat and losing 100% fat and nothing but the fat)?
  • KayFi89
    Options

do some form of strength training, eat plenty of protein, also get enough healthy fats, fruits and vegetables, healthy carbs to fuel your workouts, and don't cut your calories too low.

Aim for losing fat at 0.5lb a week, i.e. a very moderate deficit. The leaner you are already, the more likely you are to lose lean body mass along with the fat, which means a) you're losing less fat than you'd think and b) you're losing healthy tissue and c) muscle keeps your metabolism fast and makes your body look fit and healthy.... you don't want to lose it in other words. This means you have to take fat loss really slowly to ensure that it's just fat that you're losing. Quick fixes (like this cleanse you are looking at, or other crash diets) will not make you lose fat any quicker, they'll just make you lose more water, or lean body mass.

The thread "in place of a road map" will help you to calculate how many calories you need to eat each day to lose 0.5lb a week, which would be approx TDEE - 10% or TDEE - 250 cals/day.

I can assure you that cleansing and any "quick fix" diets that result in rapid weight loss, will not shift the fat you want to get rid of, they will at best result in water weight loss, and at worst cause you to lose lean body mass. In either situation, the stubborn fat will be there. You will not lose the actual fat any faster, regardless of how much weight you lose on the scale. Do this the slow and healthy way, and the only thing you lose is fat (which is what you want, right? Loss of stubborn fat and losing 100% fat and nothing but the fat)?

Thank you! I'm going to try a different alternative such as switching up my workout routines since I do still have some time to lose it.