Cardio > Strength training

Options

Replies

• happyheart15
    happyheart15 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I hate strength training. I eventually am going to do it, but I hate it. I love cardio though. I love dancing and walking so much. Nothing makes me feel better than getting outside and walking to my music.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    If the results are something like:

Cardio lost an average of 10lbs and 8 lbs were from fat.
    Weightlifting lost an average of 6 lbs and 7 lbs were from fat.

Then saying cardio is superior for losing more weight and more fat may be true. A lot of people may choose the other program though.

The study is misleading.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    For strength training I lift weights. For cardio I lift weights faster.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    :drinker:
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    One major flaw in OP.

If you want to lose WEIGHT, not FAT, then do cardio till the cows come home.

If you want to lose FAT, not necessarily WEIGHT, do strength training.

annd therein lies the rub :laugh:
  • xMonroeMisfit
    xMonroeMisfit Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Is this a joke?
  • AnabolicKyle
    AnabolicKyle Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Caloric deficit > either for weight loss. Strength training to make weight loss = fat loss.

ohh Hai

study looked at fat loss & weight loss. Carido was more effective in "fat" loss.
    However, the change in lean body mass in both RT and AT/RT was significantly greater than that in AT,

I would agree both is better than one,

"The AT and AT/RT groups reduced total body mass and fat mass more than RT "

You are missing the point. Cardio created/increased the deficit more than RT - I never said it did not. But RT maintains LBM, making the weight loss = fat loss. Which is what I said.

(actually, in this case it appears to have increased LBM as they were obese/untrained - same logic however)

"Strength training to make weight loss = fat loss."

i guess i just assumed this meant more effective than cardio for fat loss.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Caloric deficit > either for weight loss. Strength training to make weight loss = fat loss.

ohh Hai

study looked at fat loss & weight loss. Carido was more effective in "fat" loss.
    However, the change in lean body mass in both RT and AT/RT was significantly greater than that in AT,

I would agree both is better than one,

"The AT and AT/RT groups reduced total body mass and fat mass more than RT "

You are missing the point. Cardio created/increased the deficit more than RT - I never said it did not. But RT maintains LBM, making the weight loss = fat loss. Which is what I said.

(actually, in this case it appears to have increased LBM as they were obese/untrained - same logic however)

"Strength training to make weight loss = fat loss."

i guess i just assumed this meant more effective than cardio for fat loss.

No - read the whole statement together.
  • jayche
    jayche Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    First time I've seen this thread topic thanks for the info OP
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    maybe you could indulge us a little more on how you lost the weight the second time and why you stopped at 128lbs the first time. or anything else relevant

I stopped at 128 pounds, but not on purpose. It was the summer of 2008 and I had a lot of things going on in my life including trying to leave an abusive stalker type boyfriend who broke into my house...and because of the life stresses hitting me upside my head, I stopped working out and stopped watching my diet so I gained weight again to get back up to 150 pounds. I didn't start buckling down and trying to lose body fat until early in 2009 which was when I started a new job, finally rid myself of my ex-@$$hole, etc.

I lost the weight the second time by doing 4 weight training workouts per week and 2 cardio workouts on my "off" days. I still keep to the same type of schedule today. I weight train Mon/Tues and Thurs/Fri. I do cardio on Wednesday and Saturday and completely rest on Sunday. The cardio was a mix of whatever I wanted to do, sometimes it was kickboxing, sometimes dancing, sometimes running, etc...but it was basically done just because on the days that I don't do any kind of exercise, my diet tends to slip. Because I used to weigh-in on Sunday mornings, this used to be a real problem in the past since that is rest day, but that is not an issue anymore due to the fact that I weigh-in Monday mornings now which gives me more incentive to not over-indulge on Sundays any longer.

By doing mostly weight training with some, but not very much, cardio, I am now wearing the exact same sizes that I was wearing when I first lost the weight and got down to 128 pounds. The difference is that I am now 140 pounds and I am currently sitting at 23% body fat which is 7% less than back in 2008. I do not have the same muffin top I used to back then. I can do things I never could before like pull-ups and greater-than-bodyweight on the barbell squats. Even things at the doctor are looking better. My cholesterol has dropped to 169. It was 201 when I weighed 128 pounds with my 30% body fat.

All in all, I feel that a good program incorporates both cardio and weight training, but it was really the weight training that made the biggest difference in my physique and overall health as evidenced by the fact that I have lost weight doing both and that my body fat % and lab results are much better when I did the weight training in my program.
  • NormInv
    NormInv Posts: 3,302 Member
    Options
    So who won?
  • darwinwoodka
    darwinwoodka Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Depends. Do you want to outrun the cheetah, or be able to lift it?

I do both weights and cardio.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    I do both. Cardio gets me buzzed, dude.
  • sPaRkLiNgLYFE
    Options
    thanks for posting this :smile:
  • AnabolicKyle
    Options
    First time I've seen this thread topic thanks for the info OP

LOL,

the only reason i posted it is because of all the suggestions people give for fat loss.
  • AnabolicKyle
    Options
    No - read the whole statement together.

i think iam still missing what youre trying to say (honestly)

but

i think with basically agree with each other
  • chooselove
    chooselove Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Mixing up ">" and "<" is a common error. Don't sweat it.

hahahahahah yes
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    They're both good for you. I don't know why everybody fights over it so much.
  • lexlyn14
    lexlyn14 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I keep seeing all these post about how strength training is more effective than cardio for Calorie burning.
    NO, its not!

If your goal is to lose fat.
    Cardio

If your goal is to build muscle
    Strength train

Pawn-star-cool-story-bro.jpg
  • lexlyn14
    lexlyn14 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I keep seeing all these post about how strength training is more effective than cardio for Calorie burning.
    NO, its not!

If your goal is to lose fat.
    Cardio

If your goal is to build muscle
    Strength train

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: LOVE IT!!!

Pawn-star-cool-story-bro.jpg