America

Options

Replies

• winterswish
    winterswish Posts: 162
    Options
    as one poster said, it will depend on where you are visiting. North or South? Canada, US, Islands? Region dishes vary considerably, but 99% of the restaurants will offer something healthy. Hope you have a great trip!

Canada is now in America? Do they know this because last I heard many of them aren't fans of Americans.

I think what they meant was North America and Canada is part of North America. For that matter, the name of our country is the United States OF America, not just "America". But whatever.
  • Rum_Runner
    Rum_Runner Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    There are many American's on this site..... so yes, lots of people to talk to. I'm guessing you are speaking of USA??

However, as Waffle said - WHERE in America will you be visiting? Food is vastly different dependin on what part of the country you are in.
  • a_mandolin_
    a_mandolin_ Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    as one poster said, it will depend on where you are visiting. North or South? Canada, US, Islands? Region dishes vary considerably, but 99% of the restaurants will offer something healthy. Hope you have a great trip!

Canada is now in America? Do they know this because last I heard many of them aren't fans of Americans.

:noway:

Would you believe that even Brazil is in an America? Mind blown yet?

As for the question (assuming it is the US you are speaking of), most places (especially if you are in a large touristy area) have very large and diverse grocery stores. It is very easy to pick up a ton of fruits, veggies and other healthy stuff - or unhealthy stuff.

If you want to go out and taste the cuisine of the area, just keep health and calories in mind. I should hope that you don't have to track calories every day for the rest of your life. Just be conscious of what you are eating and opt for the best options. Just be aware, most restaurants will use a ton of butter/salt/oils/sauces. But, most will also customize what you want. You can ask the server for no butter, sauce on the side, whatever you wish :)

Also, I would definatly stay away from chain restaurants, you will be highly disapointed. Check out the locally owned places.
  • MayaSPapaya
    MayaSPapaya Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    I agree, tell us where you're going first.
    But you know, you can find a lot of healthy options pretty much anywhere.
    Unless you're going to a carnival or something.
  • Iron_Maiden
    Iron_Maiden Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    OP isn't saying Americans are fat. Easy people! She's going on vacation & doesn't want to hassle with the worry. - That's what I read.
    Having said that - where are you heading? I'm in Ohio and btw am going to the UK in May & have the exact same concerns. I don't want to lose control while on vacation but don't want to calorie count everything either.
    Any city you head to will have healthful food options. If you're int he sticks - good luck honey! :flowerforyou:
  • xilka
    xilka Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    1. America is a continent

2. Mexico has an obesity problem almost as bad as the U.S.
  • odula
    odula Posts: 2
    Options
    "This won't end well.

I guess it will turn into an "North Americans are fat" thread."

Oh I don't think so. I went to San Francisco, and my experience has been very nice. Every one of my friends were conscious people, moved A LOT, used very healthy options majority of the time. Some diners may serve big portions but that's not a sentence to finish the plate.

I am an overweight person ( 1.70 and about 80 kilos), and I didn't return with an obese figure after almost 4 months. I may have returned with something like 5 pounds, if that. It really depends on what kind of eating habits one has. The only thing I noticed that got worse for me was acne, but not excess calories.

It depends on where in America, but as long as one stays away from over the top desserts, candy and other snacks, it could be just fine.
  • chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options

Canada is absolutely a part of the continent of North America.
  • _Lori_Lynn_
    _Lori_Lynn_ Posts: 460
    Options

I think what they meant was North America and Canada is part of North America. For that matter, the name of our country is the United States OF America, not just "America". But whatever.

As you clearly see here not all Americans are "friendly" but "whatever".
  • ami5000psu
    ami5000psu Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Today I learned that Canada is no longer part of North America.
  • WDEvy
    WDEvy Posts: 814 Member
    Options

I Love you!
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    I go there every day!

I put on about 293 pounds since my first day, but I lost 50 of it.
  • samantha1242
    samantha1242 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I go all the time. It's not like you cross the border and they greet you with a tub of ice cream, donuts and burgers as a welcome (though I'd be into that). There's healthy options everywhere.

Though, I did spend a month in Chicago and gained 10 pounds. Delicious delicious food Chicago, well done.

Lol. I guess you haven't been to New Orleans?

I have! Also delicious food.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Hello, has anyone been to America. I am going for 10 nights and want to have a good time so no calorie counting.

Has anyone else been and just had what they want when they want and if so, how much weight did you put on?

Many thanks

I live in the USA and I've lost 27 Lbs....

You don't have to put on any weight coming to the U.S. (I assume what you mean by America). We have all kinds of different foods here and much will depend on where you plan to visit. You don't have to put on any weight whatsoever, even if you're not calorie counting.

Have a fun trip...enjoy...eat some good food...keep it in check, and you'll be just fine. When I vacation, I look at it as a good time to practice intuitive eating...portion control, etc. It's good practice for real life and it's fun to let it go for awhile.
  • _Lori_Lynn_
    _Lori_Lynn_ Posts: 460
    Options

:noway:

Not mind blowing. I think everyone knows this.
  • _DaniD_
    _DaniD_ Posts: 2,186 Member
    Options

Canada is absolutely a part of the continent of North America.

WE DON'T LIKE TO ADVERTISE IT!!!
  • Zomoniac
    Zomoniac Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I spent a week in Vegas and a week in Florida last year. Put on a stone. Impressive.
  • coe28
    coe28 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    Why, yes. I have been to America and have spent 29 years here. Part of the time I had what I wanted when I wanted and part of the time I was careful about what I ate. I have gained weight and I have lost weight. But I really don't think that has anything to do with being in America. That happens ANYWHERE. It's 10 days. Do what you would for 10 days wherever it is you're coming from or relax and enjoy yourself and don't worry about gaining a pound or two.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    This won't end well.

I guess it will turn into an "North Americans are fat" thread. Just dumb.

the majority of us are..........
  • xiamjackie
    xiamjackie Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I've been to America.

Oh wait, I live here.