America

Options

Replies

• _Lori_Lynn_
    _Lori_Lynn_ Posts: 460
    Options
    Today I learned that Canada is no longer part of North America.

You are confusing the continent (North America) with the country (America).

There is no country "America".

We refer to ourselves as Americans and we live in America (at least where I am from).
  • ModoVincere
    ModoVincere Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    yes, you willl gain at least 10lbs in 10days coming to America.
    All we have to eat here is donuts and cupcakes....salads have been banned, and anything remotely resembling lean protein gets sent to mexico and canada.
  • _Lori_Lynn_
    Options

There is no country "America".

We refer to ourselves as Americans and we live in America (at least where I am from). I don't walk around and say, "I am a United States American".
  • Zomoniac
    Zomoniac Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I have gained weight and I have lost weight. But I really don't think that has anything to do with being in America. That happens ANYWHERE.

Yes and no. If you're on holiday you tend to do most of your eating out at restaurants and whatnot. I've been to a fair few countries, and my experience of the US (I've been to NY, Vegas, Boston, Vermont, Phoenix, Orlando and some bits in between, so by no means a full tour, so I'm generalising) is that typically (not always, but typically) restaurant portion sizes are vastly (as in sometimes threefold) bigger than anywhere else. If you're living in a country and cooking what you eat then no, the country makes no difference, but if you're eating out every night and always clear your plate then chances are you will end up eating much more in the US than most places.
  • zachatta
    zachatta Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    lol@Canadian pride/American hate

Newsflash: OP is not starting an America versus the world thread, she is asking for experiences on vacationing to America in regards to weight gain.

I know it is hard to not step outside your door, find your nation's flag, and proceed to wave it furiously as a response to any thread with the word "America" in it, but try it just once.

Believe it or not, most American's don't walk around in the U.S. screaming "WE LOVE MURICA". I know it is crazy.

Also to note: Nationality is generally arbitrary, and the term "American" is generally referred to people living in the United States.

Get over yourselves.
  • WDEvy
    WDEvy Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Non trollish answer time:

Whenever you're traveling there's always a chance you'll put on weight because you'll wanna sample the cuisine, try new things. It has nothing to do wth where you're going really ( I gained 6 lbs after a week in Scotland a few years back).

Just try to keep your calories in check and try to burn some of them off! Every time I travel I walk quite a bit even if I don't take the time for a "real" workout.
  • OddChoices
    OddChoices Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    as one poster said, it will depend on where you are visiting. North or South? Canada, US, Islands? Region dishes vary considerably, but 99% of the restaurants will offer something healthy. Hope you have a great trip!

Canada is now in America? Do they know this because last I heard many of them aren't fans of Americans.

Yes actually. Canada is part of the North America- The Continent.
  • tomg33
    tomg33 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    If I was going on a trip to 'Merica I would eat whatever I pleased... (srs) Living down under you don't often get the chance to fly across the world. I doubt I'd gain more than a few pounds doing this, and I'd have no problem getting back on the wagon. But that's just me.
  • chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    Believe it or not, most American's don't walk around in the U.S. screaming "WE LOVE MURICA". I know it is crazy.

Outrageous!
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    as one poster said, it will depend on where you are visiting. North or South? Canada, US, Islands? Region dishes vary considerably, but 99% of the restaurants will offer something healthy. Hope you have a great trip!

Canada is now in America? Do they know this because last I heard many of them aren't fans of Americans.

Canada is absolutely a part of the continent of North America.

WE DON'T LIKE TO ADVERTISE IT!!!

I told you they don't like Americans. I read it all the time on Facebook so I try to keep my distance.

I guess I need to clue in all my Canadian friends about this.
  • violinkeri
    violinkeri Posts: 212
    Options
    i'm not quoting that entire song lyric source posted, bc its too freaking long, but just because someone calls it America in a song doesnt make it the actual name. Its just too many syllables to be singing "the united states of america, the united states of america, god shed his grace on theeeeeeee" artistic license people COME ON.

no wonder people hate us.
  • eloisemonteiro
    eloisemonteiro Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0TK_vk-XDM
  • winterswish
    winterswish Posts: 162
    Options

I think what they meant was North America and Canada is part of North America. For that matter, the name of our country is the United States OF America, not just "America". But whatever.

As you clearly see here not all Americans are "friendly" but "whatever".

I'm sorry. I've obviously hurt your feelings. I guess the better thing to do would be to encourage the misinformed so that we continue to climb the ranks as the fattest and least informed nation.
  • _Lori_Lynn_
    Options

I told you they don't like Americans. I read it all the time on Facebook so I try to keep my distance.

Read it on Facebook. Must be true :indifferent:

Didn't read it on Facebook, experienced it on Facebook. The people of Canada were bashing Americans. It's not my fault, I am only passing along what they said.
  • Iron_Maiden
    Iron_Maiden Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Oh good, this is still happening....my popcorn just finished! ...Nothing speaks to our culture quite like my countrymen & our friendly neighbors to the North duking it out. :noway:
  • _Lori_Lynn_
    Options

I think what they meant was North America and Canada is part of North America. For that matter, the name of our country is the United States OF America, not just "America". But whatever.

As you clearly see here not all Americans are "friendly" but "whatever".

I'm sorry. I've obviously hurt your feelings. I guess the better thing to do would be to encourage the misinformed so that we continue to climb the ranks as the fattest and least informed nation.

What does us being the fattest nation have to do with what we call America?
  • WDEvy
    WDEvy Posts: 814 Member
    Options

Please show me a map with a country called America on it!

There is the continent of North America and then there is the United States of America.

Isotonix®: the world's most advanced nutraceuticals provide superior delivery, and maximum results with no binders or fillers.

Web ScoutSongs.com Enter your search terms
    Share on facebookShare on twitterShare on emailMore Sharing Services

Song Categories
    Home

Boy Scout Songs

Girl Scout Songs

Patriotic Songs

Tanah Keeta Song Book

Action Songs

America the Beautiful

O beautiful for spacious skies,
    For amber waves of grain,
    For purple mountain majesties
    Above the fruited plain!
    America! America!
    God shed his grace on thee
    And crown thy good with brotherhood
    From sea to shining sea!

O beautiful for pilgrim feet
    Whose stern impassioned stress
    A thoroughfare of freedom beat
    Across the wilderness!
    America! America!
    God mend thine every flaw,
    Confirm thy soul in self-control,
    Thy liberty in law!

O beautiful for heroes proved
    In liberating strife.
    Who more than self their country loved
    And mercy more than life!
    America! America!
    May God thy gold refine
    Till all success be nobleness
    And every gain divine!

O beautiful for patriot dream
    That sees beyond the years
    Thine alabaster cities gleam
    Undimmed by human tears!
    America! America!
    And crown thy good with brotherhood
    From sea to shining sea!

O beautiful for halcyon skies,
    For amber waves of grain,
    For purple mountain majesties
    Above the enameled plain!
    America! America!
    Till souls wax fair as earth and air
    And music-hearted sea!

O beautiful for pilgrims feet,
    Whose stem impassioned stress
    A thoroughfare for freedom beat
    Across the wilderness!
    America! America!
    Till paths be wrought through
    wilds of thought
    By pilgrim foot and knee!

O beautiful for glory-tale
    Of liberating strife
    When once and twice,
    for man's avail
    Men lavished precious life!
    America! America!
    Till selfish gain no longer stain
    The banner of the free!

O beautiful for patriot dream
    That sees beyond the years
    Thine alabaster cities gleam
    Undimmed by human tears!
    America! America!
    Till nobler men keep once again
    Thy whiter jubilee!

And here's a fine specimen of the stereotypical ones I was mentioning earlier. Congrats!

Edit: Can't spell
  • Zomoniac
    Zomoniac Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    This thread makes baby Jesus cry.
  • _Lori_Lynn_
    Options

I'm Canadian.. My husband is American. We don't dislike ALL of them. Just the stereotypical ones.

Obviously. And it would suck to be you to be such a person with negativity in her life, because I don't dislike anyone "typical" of any country. I look at people as individuals and not as a "mass" of "typicals".