10 pieces of advice you would have told the old you ?

Options

Replies

• bsix3
    bsix3 Posts: 291
    Options
    1. call an intervention.
    2. - 10. Smack his fat butt around and make him swear he won't put us through that crap again.
  • mikeswife04
    mikeswife04 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    1) quit eating that crud...
    2) slow down on the sodas
    3) you are beautiful no matter what
    4) get off your lazy butt
    5) don't depend on anyone but yourself
    6) do not call yourself fat all the time
    7) if you want it work for it
    8) no more pity parties
    9) smile more
    10) always keep your chin up

I can't think of too much more... I used to be so down on myself.....
  • hilldiggity
    hilldiggity Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    This would be to my 18 year old self:

1) Diets don't work, but you don't know any other way
    2) The other way is calories in vs. calories out
    3) Always know what you're eating
    4) Keep up with the walking, try other types of exercise, too
    5) Ignore your mother when she says lifting those 5lb weights will hurt your back
    6) Learning to cook for yourself - good job
    7) Don't let your mom make you a plate of food, which is overflowing with food
    8) It will be easy for you to lose weight now because you are so young
    9) Know when to put the fork down
    10) Remember: calories in vs. calories out
  • ElleM0
    ElleM0 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    This is hands down my favorite thread of the day!
  • doggiesnot
    doggiesnot Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    1) Not having energy is NOT AN EXCUSE not to work out! When you work out, it will actually give you MORE ENERGY!

2) You will like how you look when you're physically fit. Envision this, and believe IT WILL HAPPEN!

3) You can't just WANT change to happen. You must DO THE WORK to make it happen!

4) Stay focused. Remember your reasons WHY you want to lose weight. (This is different for everyone, but my main driving factor is knowing that our time here on this planet is limited, and wanting to make the best of it. I use my past experiences to fuel my inner fire.)

5) Cardio alone isn't enough. You must do strength training!

6) Just keep moving. Do something, anything! Shoot for at least 5 days per week of some kind of workout.

7) Eat right. Said simply, but difficult to master. I'm still working on balancing my macro nutrients. For the most part, eat fresh, homemade food from scratch. Avoid the foods that are not good for your body. Why do we eat? Not because "it tastes good." Food is the fuel for your body. You can eat healthy AND find food that tastes good, without all the bad stuff.

8) Do yoga. Not only does this keep your body limber and strong, but it's also relaxing for the mind.

9) Don't sweat the small stuff. Scale numbers are nice to see when they're going down, but just be honest with yourself on the work you're putting in, and don't let a number on the scale disappoint you. If anything, reevaluate the work you put in for the week (workouts, nutrition, rest, water intake) and if it's all good, don't change a thing. But if you know you slipped up, fix it during the next week.

10) Drink lots and lots of water.
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    8. Bench pressing the cat may not be the best exercise out there, but it's enjoyable

:laugh: You just made me laugh out loud in class. My teacher is giving me a dirty look. :blushing:

You should return the dirty look to your teacher and say "Why are you interrupting my internet surfing? Killjoy."
  • Csengure
    Csengure Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Just one, but it is applicable to this and so much else for me:

This is not as hard as you're making it out to be. Stop overthinking and just do it already.

It took forever for me to get out of denial about my weight and then to get over the terror of "Oh god, I screwed up big time and now I'm stuck like this forever!" Once I put my mind to it and started tracking and exercising -- not a lot, and not forcing myself to do things I hated -- it was surprisingly easy to slim back down. So much so that I felt silly for not having pulled my head out of my rear much sooner.
  • dana8121
    dana8121 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    BUMP!!! This is AMAZING!
  • NHoughton13
    NHoughton13 Posts: 303
    Options
    1. Taco Bell nacho cheese cannot be used as toothpaste
    2. Bacon bits on cereal should be limited to once a week
    3. Buying a Pizza Hut party platter is OK.... FOR A PARTY....eating it alone with a 2-liter of Mt Dew, probably not a good idea
    4. Hot and Now or White Castle hamburgers are made from ghost fibers, they do have calories, but you cannot feel them....that is why you can eat 87 and still be hungry.
    5. When you get winded raising your arm to call over the waitress for another serving during Endless Enchilada days.... you may need to quit.
    6. If after a 37 minute session in the bathroom your child goes in and then runs out screaming with their hair falling out and blood coming from their eyes, you may need to reconsider your macros.
    7. Carbs are not the issue. Fat is not the issue. Exercise is not the issue. Having an I.V. of ranch dressing at your desk, that is a good place to start.
    8. If you fart at your desk and 4 seconds later a woman from 6 floors beneath you calls and says "Really?....", you are eating the wrong things.
    9. If you have personally put more than 7 Chinese Buffets out of business, you might want to cut back.
    10. Start small, start somewhere. Do a little more each day...... never stop starting over if you need to.

Great thread!! ^^This has to be my favorite. So funny!!
  • CanuckLove
    CanuckLove Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    1. Don't say "can't" Can't is a victim word.
    2. Have you ever regretted a workout? No.
    3. How do you feel when you eat healthy? Healthy? Yes, eat that way then.
    4. Just because your mind wants to stop, doesn't mean your body does.
    5. Prove this to yourself!
    6. Lift heavy.
    7. Slow progress is still progress.
    8. Schedule your social life around your workouts.
    9. Set goals.
    10.Stop bingeing. If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the answer.
  • ArmandoG28
    ArmandoG28 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    dont drink the water in mexico.
  • vedra_b
    vedra_b Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    wish i knew how to use this better. i love many of these and hope i have some good insite when i have an old me.
  • P05T5CRIPT
    P05T5CRIPT Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    1. Start today, never put off for tomorrow, what you can do today
    2. Losing weight is about much more than body fat, you have to work on you at the same time, take the time to do that
    3. Build a support network, no man is an island
    4. Water, drink it like it's going out of fashion
    5. Enjoy the journey, don't obsess about the finish line
    6. Don't look at the big picture, concentrate on the small victories along the way
    7. Don't be afraid to lift heavy objects, you will love your body as it gets stronger
    8. Be confident, go out there and grab life, no one can do that for you
    9. 20 bags of crisps will not make you happy, taking control of your eating and fitness will
    10. Don't let anyone derail you, stay committed and dedicated
  • heyshaker
    heyshaker Posts: 13
    Options

8. It's okay to have a bad day. Pick yourself up and move on.

thank you!
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    1- you need to eat more
    2- running is fun. Yes. Right, I know it sounds crazy. Um, after the first 10 minutes it feels pretty good. Yes, I'm serious. No, you won't get exercise induced asthma as long as you take your Advair. No, I'm not kidding. You should just try it. Nobody will think you're stupid. Did you make fun of people when you were the fit one? Well, you need to slow down. No, it's not about going fast. Look, you can do it. Well, yes, anybody can do it too. If you don't take big steps, you won't get shin splints. Look, just put on your shoes and come with me. Yes, you do have time - just get your butt out the door!
  • Chelz2013
    Chelz2013 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    bump. Thanks for posting! I'm needing motivation for the new me that I'm working on every day! And, I just found out my vitamin D levels were super low (16), so it's very interesting to see how this imbalance has effected others.
  • princessd84
    princessd84 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    1. Drop the "all or nothing" approach
    2. If you're eating to satisfy an emotional need, you'll never feel full because you weren't hungry in the first place
    3. Listen to your body
    4. Take your weight loss slowly - you can't rush a masterpiece
    5. Being morbidly obese is not okay, whichever way you look at it
    6. Fad diets don't work
    7. Stretch-marks are hard to shift
    8. Losing weight feels amazing - you'll feel physically and mentally awesome when you've lost 63lb
    9. Love yourself
    10. You can do this

:)
  • Lois_1989
    Lois_1989 Posts: 6,410 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • evov31
    evov31 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Yep to all 10.
  • toaster6
    toaster6 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Only one thing regarding fitness/ nutrition:
    1. Do it or don't-- it's not magic.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!