Don't talk or text at the gym on the equipment!!!!

Options

Replies

• sizzle74
    sizzle74 Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    If they are just sitting there not using the equipment, then yes that is annoying. But if they are working out and have their phone to text, etc that really is none of my business. I'm too busy working my *kitten* off to notice others around me anyway.
  • sizzle74
    sizzle74 Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    If they are sitting on it and I want to use it, I ask them to scram.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    Do you ever let them know you are waiting? I'd ask if they're done and they will reply how much they got left to do.. in the mean time you improvise and do something else. Sometimes they let you work in if they're nice.
  • HIITMe
    HIITMe Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Guess I was not clear enough for everyone. I could care less if someone is talking or texting or whatever while they are working out. It is when they are SITTING/NOT WORKING OUT on the equipment that I need to use and they are talking or texting. Make sense now???? If you go to the gym, surely this would bother you as well?!

SOME PEOPLE REST BETWEEN SETS!! REST BETWEEN WORKOUTS>..MIND YOUR BUSINESS & WAIT YOUR TURN!!
  • YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    They pay to be there just like you do...
  • sassafrascas
    sassafrascas Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Treadmill, stationary bike, Elliptical: Sure I use my phone, maybe not for a full on conversation, but to text, read emails and listen to music (with buds) etc.

Life doesn't stop for me just because I am at the gym.

^ life still happens so i may have to answer the phone and I may stop working out for a second so I can actually talk.
    I have never seen someone just sit at a machine for 5 mins on their phone maybe you need a new gym?
  • misssiri
    misssiri Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Guess I was not clear enough for everyone. I could care less if someone is talking or texting or whatever while they are working out. It is when they are SITTING/NOT WORKING OUT on the equipment that I need to use and they are talking or texting. Make sense now???? If you go to the gym, surely this would bother you as well?!

SOME PEOPLE REST BETWEEN SETS!! REST BETWEEN WORKOUTS>..MIND YOUR BUSINESS & WAIT YOUR TURN!!

Yes people rest between sets but what about the guys that are resting for 5 minutes and doing 12 sets? My whole stronglifts 5x5 takes about 30 minutes right now. I don't want to wait 45 minutes so I can do my thing and get out of there.
  • ThisGirl2013
    ThisGirl2013 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    psh *lol* I text randomly. Not non stop but yeah, sorry - I can hit the machines pretty hard and still text at the same time.. Just sayin'
  • Justkeepswimmin
    Justkeepswimmin Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I use my phone to listen to music, so i possibly look like im playing on my phone but i'm generally skipping tracks.

+++ Me too - esp b/c I listen to Pandora I may even skip a station.

Once in a while I will have a 30 second conversation b/c my husband and I always talk right before his weekly flights take off and sometimes that happens to be when I have to be at the gym. Sorry if my having a busy life bugs ya'll :)

Or if I'm running late and I need to text my daughter I will.

But I don't just sit there social media style the whole time its probably 30 seconds of any given work out. Just watch your own TV and stuff geaush !
  • Docmahi
    Docmahi Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    Anyone else agree? DRIVES ME CRAZY to see people sitting & chatting away WHILE they are on the piece of equipment that I need. UGH!!! When I step in the gym, I am in workout mode. Ear buds go in, music goes up, and I'm ready to get 'er done! WORK OUT or GET OUT people! ~:-P

Step 1: earbuds in
    Step 2: get yucky with some weights
    Step 3: profit

I'm totally with ya, texting doesn't bother me so much - but chatting on the phone - gah

Do two friends talking to each other bug you also? You have your earbuds in, right?

true true - fair point
  • Justkeepswimmin
    Justkeepswimmin Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    If they are sitting on it and I want to use it, I ask them to scram.

Ditto - if I don't need the equipment, w/e.
  • iorahkwano
    iorahkwano Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    I use my phone's Stronglifts App to enter in my weights & sets, and time my rest periods. I'm not texting but I guess it could look that way to others.
  • Bridget0927
    Bridget0927 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I do this~ Not talk but my music is on my phone so If I get a text while running when I slow down to walk I check it eeeekkkkk
  • kittenkirst
    kittenkirst Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I enter my run during my cool down (exactly how far Ive ran & distance/speed + cool down time) whilst doing my cool down run. I also enter all my weights & sets into MFP inbetween sets. I use it as exercise journal as forget by the time I get home! It probably looks like I'm texting but promise I'm not :-)
  • Bridget0927
    Options
    Two ppl walking on treadmills talking annoys me terribly, I know very silly of me but it totally does....
  • ArmandoG28
    ArmandoG28 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    short people that move my settings .
  • Bridget0927
    Options
    short people that move my settings .

Ha I do this too, Man ppl at the gym prolly wanna kill me!
  • staciedee10
    staciedee10 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    AGAIN, I see that MOST people did not read my whole post OR understand what I was saying. Last time...I have NO problem with talking/texting/taking pics/whatever you want to do - my problem has been people sitting on the machines I need talking or texting (NOT BETWEEN SETS). Geez, come on peeps - read the WHOLE post, not just the subject!!!! :-P And yes, I have to ask to use the equipment every time - just annoying!!
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Can't you ask them to move? That is what I always do and haven't had any problems.
  • staciedee10
    staciedee10 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have to ask them to use the equipment every time. It seems to be the same people doing this. Just a little irritating. :-/