Swedish Mannequins Now In Normal Sizes!

Options
Hi

Wasn't sure where to post this but really wanted to share, I got sent this via Facebook from my sister. I really hope this is picked up in other areas and countries, it would be nice to look at a normal sized Mannequin and be assured you don't have to be a stick insect to wear the clothing. ^_^ hehe

http://shine.yahoo.com/healthy-living/swedish-mannequins-cause-a-controversy--192108535.html

What do you think?

Replies

• DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    I never realized that as a size 4 I wasn't considered "normal".
  • sixout
    sixout Posts: 3,129 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if going by "average size" is good. Because I mean, the average size can be big still. Seems like making an average size can promote thinking it's ok to not want to get into better shape.

I mean, unrealistically small isn't good, obviously. But average when the average is already large isn't good.
  • wikitbikit
    wikitbikit Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I like the idea. I'm not sure it would really make a difference to me because my lumps and glumps seem to be in different places--I just don't have a streamlined body, no matter what size... But the truth is that clothes come in all sizes to fit people of all sizes, and many people respond more favorably to things that are "like them." It would probably have a positive image effect on any store that decided to do it, although I don't know it would necessarily equate to mo' money for them.
  • sarah_jones3
    Options
    Mavd hope I didn't offend you, :cry: I didn't mean to, I am not sure what a size 4 is in the UK? smallest size I have seen here is 8 :ohwell:

I am in two minds, not sure I like the new but I definitely don't like the current ones.
  • ThriftyChica12
    ThriftyChica12 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    whether or not "normal" size is "good"....

since mannequins are meant to show WHAT CLOTHING WILL LOOK LIKE ON A HUMAN BODY, shouldn't the mannequins therefore LOOK LIKE AN AVERAGE HUMAN BODY? whether we have gotten too big or not, what's the point in seeing something on a mannequin that looks nothing like us?

and since when is being a size 8 or 10 "dangerous" or "obese"....god...the mannequins are not even "fat", they are just not emaciated....

run for the hills!!! a size 10 mannequin!!!! women everywhere will start eating entire sticks of butter for breakfast!!!!! the mannequins!!! good god!!!!!
  • buffybabe
    buffybabe Posts: 180 Member
    Options

Yeah...no kidding..I range between a 2 and a 4 and consider myself pretty healthy and non "abnormal"
  • buffybabe
    Options
    OP, a UK 6 is a US 4.
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options
    I like that the mannequins are of varied sizes, but I'm almost certain I'm a normal size for me at 0-2. And, I didn't kill myself to get this way. I am actually actively trying to gain weight. I'm more healthy now than I ever have been in my entire life, wearing a size 6, even.
  • Cynclancurrie
    Options
    Super cute mannequins.

Now to contact Goya, Monet, Renoir and others in a seance and tell them that their sexy nude models had blobby tummies, soft, untoned thighs, and other unsightly areas. Hey, those women weren't sexy at all!
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    I think it proves that "sizes" are rather arbitrary. someone posted about being a "size 4" and not being considered "normal" except that number is completely determined by a vanity marketing team.

today's "size 4" is more like a classic size 8 or 10, even. so "normal" doesn't really apply to anyone because everything is shifting, always.
  • n2thenight24
    n2thenight24 Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    I'm a US size 6, therefore ALL mannequins in my local stores should be a size 6, obviously.
  • megan1869
    megan1869 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Its nice to know I hover somewhere in the middle of "mannequin size" and "average size" LOL :laugh:

I really do like seeing something a bit softer/realistic in stores... its nice to know that when my size is missing from the racks I can check the mannequin to see if I can steal hers! - That would NEVER be possible with a normal tiny mannequin.

Plus its a positive step for many women's self image.
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Normal?

While I am glad there are a variety of sizes now.. watch using words like "normal"..
  • Cynclancurrie
    Options
    I'm 'normal' at a size 14. Women, men, people come in all different sizes. My 23 pound Maine Coon cat doesn't think my 7 lb rescued feral is normal--but he gets bossed around by her anyway. She is 7 pounds of feisty.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I suppose from a marketing perspective it makes sense. But it's sad that overweight is now considered "normal", though I suppose they just mean average.

The person in the article that was quoted as saying the heavier mannequin represented a healthy BMI was certainly wrong though.
  • sarah_jones3
    Options

Yeah...no kidding..I range between a 2 and a 4 and consider myself pretty healthy and non "abnormal"

I suppose normal is individual, you guys look amazing!

For me before I gained weight, normal was a size 10 (UK) when I did get down to a UK 8 border 6 I looked ill. So for me about size 10 is what I view as normal. perhaps Mannequins should alter depending who views the store :smile: do you think they can do that yet??
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    OP, a UK 6 is a US 4.

A UK 8 is a US 4. I'm a UK 12 and a US 8. I've got trousers I bought in the US years ago in an 8 and they fit well.

Why can't they just have a variety of mannequins? They don't all need to be the same size. And the mannequins in the link still have flat stomachs!
  • buffybabe
    Options
    I think it proves that "sizes" are rather arbitrary. someone posted about being a "size 4" and not being considered "normal" except that number is completely determined by a vanity marketing team.

today's "size 4" is more like a classic size 8 or 10, even. so "normal" doesn't really apply to anyone because everything is shifting, always.

But the "normal" size the OP was referring to of the mannequin is NOT a classic 8 or 10, it is a modern day 8 or 10. So in comparison to these "normal" size mannequins, I AM smaller. I just think the word normal isn't the best word choice.
  • mariposa224
    mariposa224 Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options

Right... And I'm a US 4 as well. But having mannequins that are slightly bigger doesn't offend me in the least. I don't find that the "average", US citizen anyway, woman is generally considered to be a size 4, and, as someone else said, mannequins are intended to show what clothes will look like on a human body.

I tried on wedding dresses yesterday and they are sized a little closer to how clothing USED TO BE sized here. The dress I bought is an 8. One of the 10s I tried on was tight as well. Sizes are subjective. I actually PREFER seeing clothing on mannequins that aren't a size 0.
  • buffybabe
    Options
    OP, a UK 6 is a US 4.

A UK 8 is a US 4. I'm a UK 12 and a US 8. I've got trousers I bought in the US years ago in an 8 and they fit well.

Why can't they just have a variety of mannequins? They don't all need to be the same size. And the mannequins in the link still have flat stomachs!

I have always had to buy UK 6 when I order from UK stores, so I was just basing it on their size charts.