Don't talk or text at the gym on the equipment!!!!

Options

Replies

• SamanthaClarexo
    SamanthaClarexo Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I'll do what I want. I pay my gym membership like everyone else.

I would never take a loud obnxious phone call and distract others with my conversation, but I will text.

I take my work phone to the gym with me and am constantly getting emails from clients - some of which are important that I need to read and reply to straight away - whether I'm sweating my bum off on the elliptical or not!
  • Amazon_Who
    Amazon_Who Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    PT a my gym was running her mouth with one member while she ignored the customer she were supposed to be working with. I would have blown a gasket if she did that to me.
  • angiemartin78
    angiemartin78 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I use my phone to listen to music, so i possibly look like im playing on my phone but i'm generally skipping tracks.

Yep...Me too.
  • adopt321
    adopt321 Posts: 111
    Options
    I have no reservations asking to work in or if they're finished... I'd consider doing the same because people will never give up their technology unless they're forced to. KWIM? My time is valuable to me.
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,051 Member
    Options
    I sometimes text inbetween sets......that's one of the benefits of lifting heavy......you need a rest period between sets.

M.F.P. Hottest Person/M.F.P. Most awesome person
    Ice cream afficionado
    "Winning" Certified Instructor
    > 1 Year Consecutive Logging
    Been in gifs for 2 years and have studied custom gif creation
    jac-mr-mfp-o.gif

Exactly... and lets say I am using a bench if I were to move away from it as I am resting 3 @ssholes will be jumping on it. I workout by myself so I will just sit on the bench recover for my 60-90 seconds and normally will text someone or play with my phone.. second most fun thing I have to play with at the gym... and probably the most appropriate
  • MG_Fit
    MG_Fit Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    It doesn't bother me if the person is on a bicycle, tread or elliptical and they're still working out. I cannot stand when someone is sitting on a bench or other equipment on the phone or texting, that is just annoying.
  • suetoo32
    suetoo32 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Wow. Some people here are not very nice. I totally understand what the original post was about. Just becaue I pay my money at the gym, does not mean I can monopolize equipment when I am not using it. If I see two people chattting while I am waiting to use that machine, I give it a minute or two. If they don't move, I ask (nicely) if they are almost done. Same goes for someone texting. That typically either gets them off the machine, or back to their sets. Many gyms are crowded and people do not have unlimited time. I am very conscious to get on and off of a machine as quickly as possible, and I would expect the same courtesy from others.
  • Persephone7676
    Persephone7676 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Yeah same here, I was worried someone might misinterpret this as dilly dallying around on the machines.
    However I log my sets, weight and reps as I'm done with an exercise so I could less if it annoys someone.
  • JodieHut
    JodieHut Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    This whole thread is making me laugh.... this world is so full of self-centered people! "I don't care about other people" is the theme here... how sad. Stace pointed out that these self absorbed people annoy her at the gym... and it looks like the gyms, and MFP, is full of them!!
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    I text while on a bike all the time, but then I can keep up a good pace while doing it and it's normally just one or two quick texts. Now if you are just sitting there, not using the equipment and texting instead it is pretty rude.

I should note that I take rest breaks of about 2-3 minutes between sets so I will sometimes text or log my lifts between sets. If I know someone is waiting I offer to let them do a set between mine.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    I use my phone to listen to music, so i possibly look like im playing on my phone but i'm generally skipping tracks.

Me too and my lifting app and running app are on my phone as well.

Not to say I don't sneak a few texts in :laugh:
  • rob1976
    rob1976 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    I bet it drives you crazy when my wife watches Hulu on the elliptical, huh?

Honestly, if they are actively using the equipment, I really don't care what they are doing on it...as long as they wipe it down afterward. They got there before me and I'll wait my turn...
  • Philllbis
    Philllbis Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    I use my phone's Stronglifts App to enter in my weights & sets, and time my rest periods. I'm not texting but I guess it could look that way to others.
    I do the same. So much easier than writing things down!
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Wow. Some people here are not very nice. I totally understand what the original post was about. Just becaue I pay my money at the gym, does not mean I can monopolize equipment when I am not using it. If I see two people chattting while I am waiting to use that machine, I give it a minute or two. If they don't move, I ask (nicely) if they are almost done. Same goes for someone texting. That typically either gets them off the machine, or back to their sets. Many gyms are crowded and people do not have unlimited time. I am very conscious to get on and off of a machine as quickly as possible, and I would expect the same courtesy from others.

This is the correct answer.
  • RGv2
    Options
    I bet it drives you crazy when my wife watches Hulu on the elliptical, huh?

Honestly, if they are actively using the equipment, I really don't care what they are doing on it...as long as they wipe it down afterward. They got there before me and I'll wait my turn...

:laugh: Did you even read the OP.

It's about people using the equipment as a chair or crutchwhile on the phone.
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Guys, I think it's obvious that she means people who are just "sitting" on the equipment while she is waiting to use it...

Not just people who are logging workouts or resting between sets, although it's always good to keep an eye out to see if someone is waiting on your machine/weight. If they are, why not catch their eye and let them know how much you have left? As a courtesy, I do it all the time. Makes the gym a more amicable place.
  • staciedee10
    staciedee10 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    YES, fconcep - you're correct! Thanks for reading it all and correctly!!! :)
  • staciedee10
    staciedee10 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    RGv2 - You got it!!! It amazes me at how many people do not read the entire post or correctly.
  • RGv2
    Options
    RGv2 - You got it!!! It amazes me at how many people do not read the entire post or correctly.

Sometimes reading comprehension, or lack there of, truely amazes me.
  • cindiva65
    cindiva65 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    One time I seen a guy on the treadmill who was straddling it on either side while the treadmill ran between his legs...he was simply there to talk to the guy working out on the treadmill next to him. This went on for 30 minutes or so...he never once stepped onto the moving part of the treadmill, just let it run between his legs while he stood with each foot on the solid edge. :noway: