Swedish Mannequins Now In Normal Sizes!

Options
123457»

Replies

• willowdancer
    Options
    I don't consider those mannequins to be 'normal' sized because what the heck even is normal? Those mannequins are fantastic, yes, because they are larger than the average ones used in shops and we need to see diversity, but the concept of burning all small size mannequins and replacing them with plus sizes is just ridiculous, because a size 6 is natural to some people. Everyone has a different frame, everyone has their own build and carries their weight however nature intended them to.

I would love to see mannequins size 12 and over commonplace in Britain, but so long as they are alongside their 'skinny' counterparts. People say that the skinny mannequins are promoting a thin ideal, which yes, I see why they think that, and the fashion industry can hardly say they don't favour bones over boobs. But what we need is DIVERSITY. Not just plus size mannequins or just skinny mannequins. We need them in every shape and size because the body is beautiful, diversity is beautiful, and there is no such thing as perfect, but accepting yourself is pretty damn close to perfect.

I'm a plus size model. I'm a UK size 12 (US 8) and have always been this size, except for a time when I went up to a 14. Whether I was 10 stone or 12 stone I've been the same dress size, that's just my shape. That's my normal. Now, I have a fellow model friend who is just one inch shorter than me and a size 6, and has always been that tiny, even after having a child. There is no normal size for everyone.

^^THIS!!!^^^
  • ZombieSlayer
    ZombieSlayer Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Just commenting for the crack.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options

UK size 8 is the same as US size 0. :)

No.
  • Deedsie
    Deedsie Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Wouldn't it be cool if when you walked into a store, they could scan your body and then project a hologram of you wearing different outfits as the mannequin? I would love that. Plus, I hate changing rooms.
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options
    Wouldn't it be cool if when you walked into a store, they could scan your body and then project a hologram of you wearing different outfits as the mannequin? I would love that. Plus, I hate changing rooms.

now THAT would be pretty cool. For some reason, every time I go into a changing room and take off all my clothes, I suddenly realize I have to pee. A hologram would be helpful.
  • LadyZephyr
    LadyZephyr Posts: 286 Member
    Options

UK size 8 is the same as US size 0. :)

No.

UK 8 is a US 4. UK 4 is a US 0.
  • jessicaj22
    Options
    Seeing mannequins that don't look like barbie dolls would be nice. Being a size 10 is not a bad thing, but neither is being a size 4. I think it would also decrease the chance of having people become obsessed with trying to get to that barbie doll figure via being anorexic or bulemic. There wouldn't be such a forced self image that you have to look like that in order to be beautiful.
  • mariposa224
    mariposa224 Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    Lets take a moment to give our sympathy to the size 4 girl who you referred to as "not normal".

Now that thats done, I agree totally with you. It's nice to see that store mannequins are finally going to be realistic. Now if stores would stop overstocking sizes 0-4 and actually stock sizes for women who actually eat.

BTW, if I ever get to be a size four, you can call me any damn thing you want and I won't be offended!

You may think that now, but when you get there you'll find that you don't suddenly develop unshakeable self confidence and sky high self esteem. You'll find that you are still human, and still have your insecurities, and it still hurts when people say bad things about your body.

So I think it would be wise not to start body shaming on anyone. Very few people have unshakeable self esteem, and even those that do it doesn't give anyone the right to insult them or say what they like about them.
    AMEN! And, being a size 4 who has no desire to be smaller, I eat a LOT of food. Feel free to have a look at my diary. I believe in moderation, but I do eat what I want and a good amount of it. And that's to MAINTAIN at a size 4. I wasn't in the least offended by the OP's post, but the one at the top of this? "stop overstocking sizes 0-4 and actually stock sizes for women who actually eat." Yeah, that's a bit offensive. And, just in case you wondered, the sizes that I imagine you're referring to with your little offhand comment there? The "middle" sizes? That's where I used to be. And I know I had a harder time because being an "average" size made those clothes the ones that were sold quicker. But guess what? At size 4, I still have the problem, because, being not "petite" (average type height of 5'5") in a size 4, it's hard to find pants that fit STILL, because they're all too short. Regardless, your comment was rude.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    There is a reason runway models are super thin, and it's because clothing looks better on thinner bodies.

I'm sure opinions on this will vary wildly and to state this is fact is insane.

Opinions among men regarding the most desirable female body types certainly vary, but that's not what we're talking about. We're talking about what makes a woman decide to buy a certain article of clothing, and no, opinions are not going to vary wildly on the subject of whether a size 4 dress looks better than a size 14. Again, this is why designers make their sample sizes in 0-4 and why they send their clothes down runways on size 0-4 bodies. The clothing looks better and is more marketable when it is cut in smaller sizes for thinner women. Buyers from the stores who attend the shows may very well order the clothing in plus sizes to bring a larger customer base to their store, but nobody in the fashion business wants to see a Dior couture show or even a ready-to-wear show with a bunch of size 14 models.

I'm not trying to offend anyone who is plus-sized. As I said before, I used to be WAY plus-sized. But it absolutely IS a fact that, in the fashion industry, smaller is easier to sell to women overall.
  • Amazon_Who
    Amazon_Who Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    When I was in college (way back in the late seventies) I wore a size 12. I am 5'9 and at the time I weighed 125, pretty darn thin for my height. Just another illustration how body shapes are different. I think some of the respondents have been awfully defensive.
  • SavvyCake
    SavvyCake Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    There is a reason runway models are super thin, and it's because clothing looks better on thinner bodies.

I'm sure opinions on this will vary wildly and to state this is fact is insane.

Opinions among men regarding the most desirable female body types certainly vary, but that's not what we're talking about. We're talking about what makes a woman decide to buy a certain article of clothing, and no, opinions are not going to vary wildly on the subject of whether a size 4 dress looks better than a size 14. Again, this is why designers make their sample sizes in 0-4 and why they send their clothes down runways on size 0-4 bodies. The clothing looks better and is more marketable when it is cut in smaller sizes for thinner women. Buyers from the stores who attend the shows may very well order the clothing in plus sizes to bring a larger customer base to their store, but nobody in the fashion business wants to see a Dior couture show or even a ready-to-wear show with a bunch of size 14 models.

I'm not trying to offend anyone who is plus-sized. As I said before, I used to be WAY plus-sized. But it absolutely IS a fact that, in the fashion industry, smaller is easier to sell to women overall.

Opinions among women vary too. I don't think he was trying to speak from a purely desire-based standpoint.
  • adopt321
    adopt321 Posts: 111
    Options
    My initial reaction is they don't look "plus" size. I think it's great that they would use mannequins that depict what "real" women look like.
  • MandaPaigeSparkles88
    MandaPaigeSparkles88 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    I love the Swedish mannequins they look like normal everyday women. There's no way I would consider that plus size!
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    My initial reaction is they don't look "plus" size. I think it's great that they would use mannequins that depict what "real" women look like.

I love when people body shame thin women! It's like they're making up for all the years spent body shaming overweight people!

Let's celebrate 35% body fat, just because! Whee!
  • sakuragreenlily
    sakuragreenlily Posts: 334 Member
    Options

I love when people body shame thin women! It's like they're making up for all the years spent body shaming overweight people!

It is really distressing isn't it? I have been overweight my entire life and I don't like the stigma obviously... but I also can't stand to hear people call thin women "skinny b******" or say "someone give her a cheeseburger" or "she needs to eat a sandwich," etc., etc., etc. The focus on what's "wrong" with a woman's (or a man's) body on either side is alarming.

How about we all just... I dunno... try to celebrate health (both physical and emotional), character, and things that generally do not involve how we feel about the visual aesthetics of other people's bodies.
  • mariposa224
    mariposa224 Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options

It is really distressing isn't it? I have been overweight my entire life and I don't like the stigma obviously... but I also can't stand to hear people call thin women "skinny b******" or say "someone give her a cheeseburger" or "she needs to eat a sandwich," etc., etc., etc. The focus on what's "wrong" with a woman's (or a man's) body on either side is alarming.

How about we all just... I dunno... try to celebrate health (both physical and emotional), character, and things that generally do not involve how we feel about the visual aesthetics of other people's bodies.
    ^^ This. Yes, most definitely. Especially this part: "How about we all just... I dunno... try to celebrate health (both physical and emotional), character, and things that generally do not involve how we feel about the visual aesthetics of other people's bodies."