Dancer bodies?

Options
Compare the two:

Zuzanna (not a dancer), who has shorter, "chunkier" muscles, especially in her arms

zwowPost-featured-292x256.jpg

0.jpg

mqdefault.jpg

featured-airport.jpg&w=594&h=412&c=1&q=100

Then compare her body with the Cambridge ballerinas, who have a different kind of athletic look:

603475_425732400798452_229085024_n.jpg

523757_417856288252730_2013889079_n.jpg

574959_482376025134089_885232449_n.jpg

Why do they have such a different look? Their muscles seem longer and more stretched out.

Replies

37434958 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Zuzanna has way better looking muscles!
  • babydiego87
    babydiego87 Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    Zuzanna has way better looking muscles!
    110% disagree. I'll be keeping an eye on this thread for answers.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    different genetics? They look to be different races too. Different training regimes the dancer's focuses on balance and flexibility well the others focuses on stregth and agility. Comparing apples to oranges They are both beautiful and you can see the hard work and training they have put into their bodies.
  • Loulady
    Loulady Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Answers on why every athlete doesn't have the same body type?
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    They have a different look because they do different things.

tumblr_mfrmi9ytp61s1fxnmo1_500.jpg

No ****. What I'm asking is WHY do those different types of workouts produce different results.

You are kidding, right?

P.S. you can't train to get a "dancers body" without being a dancer.
  • peachfigs
    peachfigs Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    Never mind. I'll google it.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    Zuzanna trains for a specific look. Dancers train for a specific function. Some dancers are as muscular as Zuzanna.
  • peachfigs
    Options
    Rephrase.

Why do some women have the chunkier muscles like Zuzanna, and others have longer, lean muscles? Maybe I'm not asking this question right?
  • iulia_maddie
    iulia_maddie Posts: 2,780 Member
    Options
    Rephrase.

Why do some women have the chunkier muscles like Zuzanna, and others have longer, lean muscles? Maybe I'm not asking this question right?
    The lenght of the muscle is genetic, depends on the person's height, and no workout can change that.
    Zuzanna simply has more muscle mass than the other girl. And she is shorter. Probably less BF too.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    Some of it is training and diet... they've built more muscle.

Some of it is body fat... the lower your body fat, the more your muscles will show. Like Madonna. She doesn't have BIG muscles, she has very low body fat.

Some of it is a matter of whether or not the muscle is being flexed.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    Genetics.

You cannot "lengthen" a muscle.
  • AngelsInThighHighs
    AngelsInThighHighs Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Strength training is going to bulk you up, your going to have a toned look and a very visble defined look. When your a dancer you do not want a defined look, you want a smooth gentle look the way a dancer trains her body is by stretching, constricting, balance, and core. Your movements are very controlled and concentration is very important. When your weight training your focused on the muscles your building at the time not every single one at once. If your looking for a true understanding i suggest looking into a dancers workout they have one they have been advertising.

If you want a toned, hard, defined look strength train with bouts of cardio.

If you want a smooth gentle look core, cardio, and balance are key.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Rephrase.

you can always Google how to rephrase the question.....
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    A large part is genetics
  • peachfigs
    Options
    Rephrase.

The lenght of the muscle is genetic, depends on the person's height, and no workout can change that.
    Zuzanna simply has more muscle mass than the other girl. And she is shorter. Probably less BF too.

Thank you! That's all I really wanted.
  • sarafil
    sarafil Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    It is impossible to make muscles longer. That is genetics, period. Professional ballerinas have to be talented, no doubt....but they are also usually born with certain bodies that give them the "dancer look." Hence the reason they can make it in the ballet world. I've seen amazing ballet dancers that are not famous and professionals simply because their body type doesn't fit the mold.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Strength training is going to bulk you up, your going to have a toned look and a very visble defined look. When your a dancer you do not want a defined look, you want a smooth gentle look the way a dancer trains her body is by stretching, constricting, balance, and core. Your movements are very controlled and concentration is very important. When your weight training your focused on the muscles your building at the time not every single one at once. If your looking for a true understanding i suggest looking into a dancers workout they have one they have been advertising.

pretty much nonsense here
  • peachfigs
    Options

pretty much nonsense here

Why do you think that? :smile:
  • peachfigs
    Options
    Just to clarify.... I'm not asking to look like a ballerina (will NEVER happen) and I'm not asking to make my muscles "longer". :glasses:
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options
    I went to the ballet this sunday.....some of them looked long and lean...some of them looked muscular...

there are some things to consider....

1. it's how the body is portrayed. If you are picking up a heavy thing, you're muscles are gonna bunch up. if you are stretching out in a arabesque, you're muscles are gonna stretch out....

2. it's genetics. And a lot of dancers that work for dance companys are chosen for their body. For example, a coveted body type for a dance company is 5'10" very lean, very compact...they want a look of uniformity and length and elongation.

That being said it's changing in the dance world (slowly) and if you googled dancers that are exclusively modern and NOT ballet dancers you would see more muscles in a lot of them.

3. Ballet dancers for the most part do not lift. Zuzanna works with weights I believe.

but the purest answer is genetics.... we can work those muscles any way we want, a large part of how they react to what we do is genetics.