My wife left me once I lost the weight.

Options

Replies

• lepanto
    lepanto Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Jesus!!! Jesus!!? He is the only answer...
    Ps.....what has happened to our vows?! People just don't take till death due us part anymore. My heart breaks for you, but I know deep down in my heart that Jesus will never put u threw anything that u can not handle. So, with that said, I would check out a local community church, and see where that leads you. Jesus has a wonderful plan for u!!

Sorry, hon, Jesus isn't the answer for everyone. It may be the answer for you, and maybe the answer for Mike. But not the only answer for everyone. There isn't only one answer for anything. Except maybe '42'
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    You might consider group fitness. When I was having a rough patch (lost a business, lost the house, lost our retirement savings in the real estate bubble) I joined a yoga class at the local YMCA. I also lost a lot of friends at that time because we went from comfortable middle class to totally broke in a short period of time.

You need to get around other like-minded people, be it at church or the gym or taking classes or whatever. Some counseling would be helpful as well.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    It sounds like maybe, possibly (dunno your wife, so can't say for sure) you were with somebody who wanted you to remain down on yourself and she bolted the second you showed some confidence. She did you a favor, as she probably was insecure herself. Focus on your workouts -- join a gym or start taking some kind of class or take up a hobby that gets you out of your house and away from the bar. If you can find a counselor to talk to - even better.
  • samantha1242
    samantha1242 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Ps.....what has happened to our vows?! People just don't take till death due us part anymore. My heart breaks for you, but I know deep down in my heart that Jesus will never put u threw anything that u can not handle. So, with that said, I would check out a local community church, and see where that leads you. Jesus has a wonderful plan for u!!

I am confused how that could be the only answer.

First off, I am so sorry to hear about this. Try not to be too hard on yourself and beat yourself up for it. It is your wife's issues at play, not yours. Insecurity can destroy people and relationships. I would suggest to seek out therapy so you can talk out your emotions instead of drinking to cover them up (been there done that) which goes to negative town pretty quickly. Also, surround yourself with positive people that love you and care about you. Keep up the positive changes you have made in your life and consider trying something new to keep yourself busy. Think towards the future and focus on yourself. :)
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I know you don't want to hear this, but counseling might help. You've had some traumatic experiences lately, and I'm thinking you probably haven't had the opportunity to process everything.

*side note - I'm available. :wink:
  • S0nsh1ne
    S0nsh1ne Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    If you are uncertain about speaking to a pastor do you have health insurance or a employee based mental health benefit (where you can meet with someone a few times w/o cost)?
  • Mighty_Rabite
    Mighty_Rabite Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    You are doing awesome!

I am sorry that she didn't trust you, I guess she thought if you were large, no one would look at you, and you wouldn't go anywhere.

You will get over this, believe me - you will be happy again, Don't give up on yourself.

This. Your previous state of being overweight was probably her security blanket to cover up her own insecurities, and she lost that when you shed the weight. I'm sure losing her is a crushing loss and will take a long while to get over, but you've done well for you - do whatever you can to keep that going, whether it's talking it out with a counselor, close friend, random strangers on here (not knocking that at all either, that's often exactly what I do when I'm stressed hardcore)..

Pride yourself on this too: some day she will regret how things have gone down and possibly even try to get back with you. I'll tell you from experience, as kind of evil as the idea sounds, it's actually quite rewarding when that happens and even moreso when friends or family of hers open up to you and mention how badly she screwed up.
  • Retiredmom72
    Retiredmom72 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    You said you wanted to live a healthier life, so you know what you need to do. Your wife had issues and now she is free to do what she wants. Take care of yourself and you will be able to move on. Congrats on your loss--weight and wife. You deserve better. Good luck.
  • deadmittens
    deadmittens Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    It's all on her. She didn't have the confidence to stay with you once you had become healthy. One day she will look back and regret what she's done, but you need to stay healthy so you have no regrets.
  • silversociety
    silversociety Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    My initial thoughts on your issue is that you losing weight wasn't the problem with your relationship. I don't know what she looks like so it is somewhat hard to gauge but the fact that she didn't want you to lose weight speaks volumes in my eyes. It could be something as simple as she has low self esteem and seeing you doing well for herself started to make her resent herself and in turn you. It could be she was a controlling partner and you improving yourself was causing her dominance to slip away giving more and more power in the relationship to you. Maybe you were subtly telling her she needed to get skinny and she just wasn't ready to change herself and that led to her thinking you didn't love her anymore. Again, I don't know your circumstances so please disregard any or all of this if it doesn't fit, but maybe she was cheating on you as it is odd to hear that someone loses weight in a relationship and a persons assumption is "he's cheating on me" only for her to start seeing other guys immediately upon breaking up. That's just an odd conclusion that someone would jump to in my opinion.

That said, as far as coping with your separation, I'd honestly keep hitting the gym as it's a natural stress release. So what if you aren't losing weight as fast, or you aren't progressing as fast as you were, you're leaps and bounds ahead of where you were. Even you just stay status-quo for the next month or so, as long as you keep at it, the results will come over time. After all, you're only competing with yourself in the end.

I hope this helps, as none of what I said above was meant to offend you in any way.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Can I just add that you aren't alone in struggling with the depression or the smoking/drinking habits. I'm not a heavy drinker, but I have quit smoking at least 3 times in the last year. And yes, I have to quit again! (My friends will ream me if they read this.)
  • mbrummer
    mbrummer Posts: 24
    Options
    Don't feel bad for me or selfish for your feelings. Everyone has gone thru *kitten*. Losing a spouse who you were obviously very emotionally invested is like a piece of you died I am sure. I know if I lost mine, I'd be utterly lost.

Counseling works! Counseling helps you see there is an end to this. Church doesn't have to be the answer. There are great therapists out there that aren't connected to Christian ties. Google therapists in your area. I'm sure there are some great ones.

No more drinking! No more smoking! :)
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    Hi Mike. Sorry your wife flaked on you, but don't let it destroy you. You can't really find your happiness in someone else, no matter how much you love that person. You definitely can't find your self worth there. I'm not gonna lie. When I got to the part about you drinking and smoking away your success, I pretty much wanted to slap you. Smarten up. Whether you believe it or not, you're just as worthwhile as anyone else on this planet, and you have just as much right to a good life. Start treating yourself better. If you wouldn't say it to a friend, don't say it to yourself. If you would try to talk a friend out of doing it, don't do it yourself. Time to say goodbye to her and get back to living.

:)
  • Textmessage
    Textmessage Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I'd go with the counseling advice. It can't hurt if you give it a shot for a month at least.

If that doesn't work, we can go kick her *kitten* for you. :)
  • MikeNoTalent
    MikeNoTalent Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Hi Mike. Sorry your wife flaked on you, but don't let it destroy you. You can't really find your happiness in someone else, no matter how much you love that person. You definitely can't find your self worth there. I'm not gonna lie. When I got to the part about you drinking and smoking away your success, I pretty much wanted to slap you. Smarten up. Whether you believe it or not, you're just as worthwhile as anyone else on this planet, and you have just as much right to a good life. Start treating yourself better. If you wouldn't say it to a friend, don't say it to yourself. If you would try to talk a friend out of doing it, don't do it yourself. Time to say goodbye to her and get back to living.

:)

Hahah BrendaLee I wanna slap me too! i'm glad you can't reach me though ;) It was sort of a knee jerk reaction I realize this but now the smoking is a habit again. The drinking isn't so much a habit yet but I do worry about it becoming one in the future.
  • MikeNoTalent
    MikeNoTalent Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I'd go with the counseling advice. It can't hurt if you give it a shot for a month at least.

If that doesn't work, we can go kick her *kitten* for you. :)

Haha! I don't wish her harm. I do think the counseling is probably what i need and it seems to be the popular key word of the thread. I'm definitely going to give it a shot!
  • onezeronine
    onezeronine Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Dang. It doesn't seem like it now, but you dodged a bullet, my friend. If your ex-wife couldn't handle a positive change like your gaining health, can you imagine what she'd do if something bigger happened? Jeez. Take some time to take a breath, focus on yourself for a bit. This is a time of transition - a really, really difficult one, but an opportunity for you to sit and think about what sort of person you would like to be at the end of this.

That's it for the positivity stuff. I know that can get annoying.

I hope you have friends and other loved ones in your life you can turn to for support. Start calling in favors. It's good to be with people that love you. Sometimes it's good to hear someone you trust and care about say "forget that woman - you're better than that."
  • frazzlecg
    frazzlecg Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Stop it with the Jesus preaching, OP didn't even disclose his beliefs...

I've worked in the mental health field for ten years now. What stood out to me most was the drinking. I don't know how often you are drinking, but no one intends to be an addict. Please don't let this be your downward spiral, you've been so positive with the weight loss. You could send me a private message with your city and what insurance you have and I can look up a few choices for you if you are ready to pursue counseling. Best wishes.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options

Sorry, hon, Jesus isn't the answer for everyone. It may be the answer for you, and maybe the answer for Mike. But not the only answer for everyone. There isn't only one answer for anything. Except maybe '42'

Thank you. Jesus or anyone else is not always the answer. It may not even be the right question. People find their comfort and peace of mind in lots of places.
  • gohsman21
    gohsman21 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hey Mike! I am sorry you are going through this. I went through some really tough stuff with my husband a few years ago. It was devastating to me. My confidence was destroyed! Therapy really helped. It will be hard, but a therapist will help you to order your thoughts and begin making healthy emotional choices to match your healthy physical choices. I recommend you check with your insurance to see what they cover. I have been in therapy for a year and a half and I haven't had to pay a dime out of pocket. If you look to your church for counseling, make sure you see a certified therapist. Preachers don't get much training in counseling and it is not their true passion. I am not saying they can't effectively counsel, but a trained licensed professional is gonna be the best help.