Why are women always on a diet?

Options

Replies

• RainHoward
    RainHoward Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    men and societies expectations. A man can be fat and still accepted by society. A woman on the other hand tends to be ridiculed and belittled by society.
  • rekite2000
    rekite2000 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Here is why I always said it- had 2 caramel lattes a day (about 800 calories), whole pizzas at night, all the baking I did (which I took to work so I wouldn't eat it, but still did). I would get a soda for a pick me up, a bag of gummy bears, but I am on a diet. I had no idea how brainwashed I was about my calories. I eat a lot now but I know what I am eating. The lack of knowledge really hurt me. I was always trying to lose weight, but was clueless how to do it. I am learning now and never say I am on a diet.
  • toaster6
    toaster6 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    My initial guess is that, while they may be eating better, they're still consuming too many calories. I cook for my boyfriend and his parents and his mom told me she had gained 5 pounds ever since I started cooking. I was surprised, as I cook healthy meals but she had an answer: "Yeah it's healthy. It's also good, so I eat more than I used to"-- she cut the amount of food she eats (with no other changes to the actual food or her exercise habits) and got back to the weight she likes very, very quickly (granted, she only had about 5 pounds that she wanted to lose). She's in her fifties, so I don't think age has a huge impact. So, I think if people actually watch what they eat and how much, most would lose the weight very easily.
  • meredith1123
    meredith1123 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    Because we live in a social world of vanity. We constantly feel the need to look PERFECT...

even though i'll never be perfect ...
    it would be nice to look it though.
  • micheabr
    micheabr Posts: 72
    Options
    I think its mainly due to women lying to themselves or being ignorant to the amount of calories they consume. Some people don't realise that eating too much healthy stuff will still make you gain weight.
  • ApexLeader
    ApexLeader Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    most people lie to themselves, not just women. that's why most people are a mess either physically, emotionally, or both
  • axialmeow
    axialmeow Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Glad it is easy for you. I have no explanation of why it is hard for some.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    a lot of it boils down to lack of knowledge, and sticking your head in the sand.

That was me for a long time, and I wasn't even dieting. It's how I gained all the weight.

Surprising what a little knowledge will do.
  • mguzman2011
    Options
    First of all the Question was a great one. I love reading everyone's comments. We do struggle more than men to loose weight 1. due to genetically built differently-men do have more muscle than women 2. Child bearing. 3. Hormonal Changes 4. Failing to educate ourselves on how foods work with our bodies 5. counting calories 6. Portion Control 7. Self Esteem 8. Exercise 9. Living a balance life and connecting with our spiritual side. 10.Lying to ourselves. All of these things are contributing factors of why women don't loose weight. If we can package all of these listed items and have the self control and motivation, no women would be fat today. TIP for the guys never tell a women she is FAT or UGLY always be encouraging and don't look down on the one's trying.
  • Sweet_Gurl_Next_Door
    Sweet_Gurl_Next_Door Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    tis is true because until I began tracking I had no clue how many calories I was eating. in my case with what I logged I was eating to little and had to increase mine.
  • becky6m
    becky6m Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Not really trying, not knowing what they are eating (calorie wise) calories in vs calories out, not logging beverages (wine and coffee drinks)--generally being misinformed and not wanting to hear it like it is.
    This. Before this site I had no clue on how to eat or count calories. I didn't even know there was a limit daily to maintain your weight. Crazy, but true.
  • stealthSLOTH
    stealthSLOTH Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    :explode: :noway:
  • szarlotka717
    szarlotka717 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    This isn't true for every woman, but as someone who intends to have kids in the next few years, it's really depressing to me that I will have to lose weight all over again 2 or 3 more times even if I'm doing everything "right." I am going to try to avoid gaining too much extra weight while pregnant, but some weight gain is inevitable (and only about half of that disappears soon after giving birth). Basically, I can look forward to carefully watching what I eat for the next 8 or so years (and then have a brief reprieve before hormones change again, making weight maintenance more difficult). My husband still has 30 or so pounds to lose, but I'm jealous that once he loses the weight, he'll only have to try to maintain.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    Because they don't feel confident about their bodies, but aren't willing to be disciplined about a solution.

This.

Women are naturally lazy and unmotivated.

They're also by nature fatter.

This is true. We are generally stupider than men, too.

That is probably why I have an urge to beat you up for this comment.

But, being stupider, that is not the best course of action.
  • StheK
    StheK Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Here's the thing. If I hear one more person say "just stop eating chips and drinking soda" I'm going to lose it. I don't drink soda. I don't eat chips. Or pizza. Or drink. And I struggle. A woman's metabolism (especially after childbearing) is different. Add to that that men generally have a much higher muscle mass (eg. better fat-burning capacity) and you'll see the major differences between men and women. Personally, I eat healthfully, track calories (12-1500/day), work out regularly and STILL have major struggles in weight loss for many reasons. Thank God weight loss is easy for you. Please be sensitive with your judgments.

I feel you. It's not as easy for some of us. There are a lot of people who "diet" and don't lose, but there are also a lot of us who really do work hard at it and don't always make much progress, or very quick progress.
  • EmmaKarney
    EmmaKarney Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    Also in the UK we are told that women "need" 2000 calories a day, men 2,500.

So women think it's totally fine to eat 2000 calories a day - regardless of their height, weight, age etc...
  • WifeofPJ
    WifeofPJ Posts: 312
    Options
    This is a serious question.

In my office all the women (aged 28-50ish) are on a diet seemingly all the time. They do Zumba and other stuff (according to them) yet they never lose any weight. Are all their metabolisms really that bad or are they lying to themselves?

I have one friend who says she needs to lose about 20 pounds so she cooks healthy and works out but hasn't lost any weight. On the other hand, I eat pizza or fast food about 5 times per week and I lost 15 pounds just by not snacking and quitting alcohol for a bit. I also watch everything I eat and exercise 4-5 times per week; strength training in the winter and running in the summer.

Can one of you wonderful ladies please enlighten to me why this is? Are they not serious about it or is it social?

Consider yourself lucky that you can eat like that and still loose weight.

But as for your question there could be a number of things going on here.
    1) They could all have something wrong. I was always trying to loose weight but always had troubles, constently hungry no matter what I ate and then I found out I had PCOS and that it was a huge factor in my weight. Now that I am getting that under control loosing weight is much easier because I know that I can't have lots of Carbs and Sugar.
    2) Number one is not likely for all of the women maybe one or two of the could have something going on but most don't. They could be not tracking their food. Most people will underestimate what they eat but over estimate their exercise.
    3) They could be those people who will "treat" themselves when there is something going on but tend to "Treat" themselves Every day.
    4) They could be thinking they are eating healthy when they are not. If they eat out alot they could be ordering things like the salads which if not researched and ordered correctly could be the highest caloric item on the menu.
    5) They could be loosing weight and you are just not noticing it.
  • StheK
    StheK Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    most people lie to themselves, not just women. that's why most people are a mess either physically, emotionally, or both

This.
  • rowanwood
    rowanwood Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Because they don't feel confident about their bodies, but aren't willing to be disciplined about a solution.

This.

Women are naturally lazy and unmotivated.

They're also by nature fatter.

The only thing keeping you alive is the internet.

Some of these marathon running women can catch you and hold you down for the heavy lifters to teach a lesson.