5'6" larger frame females... Higher goal weight?!?!

Options

Replies

• courtneywiens
    courtneywiens Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I'm 5-5.5", nearly 5'6", I always thought I had a large frame but the more weight I lose, the more I realize it's not as large as I thought. My goal weight has been 145, but I'm thinking perhaps once I get there I'll reevaluate. The beauty of setting goals is that you can change them and you can have as many as you want. I've achieved many of my goals, my next one is to get to 154 (upper limit of healthy weight range for my height, currently I'm fluctuating between 157-159), then I want to get to 145 which is my "ultimate goal" but I have a contingency goal of possibly 136 due to a silly little quiz I took on self.com to find my "happy weight"...lol. So I say set the higher goal weight and then when you reach it, see if you want to set a new goal. good luck and feel free to add me if you want support! :)
  • sailawaykate
    Options
    I'm 5'9" and am shooting for about 135-140 lbs. BUT, don't just look at your weight or BMI! Take the time to get your body fat percentage measured. It's a better marker of fitness, and your BMI is not always the best way to gauge your ideal weight level. If you lose a lot of muscle you'll lose weight, but be less fit overall. Remember, weight is just a number, and it fluctuates like crazy depending on hydration or whether you looked at cake during the last week (lol).

If you are near a university with health/fitness majors, they should offer something like a Microfit test for relatively low cost. And most gyms offer BF% tests. It's pinchy and a little humiliating, but the calipers are the best way to go for accurate results.
  • popsicklestar
    popsicklestar Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I'm 5' 6.5" and I'm currently at 149. My goal weight is around 140 (I won't be totally sure till I see how I feel at that weight). My current body fat percentage is around 28% and I want to get down to 24%. 149 is a happy, healthy weight for me. I'm happy with how I look now, but I'm challenging myself to be more athletic and lower my body fat. Anything below 135 is definitely too skinny for my body frame. I would get your body fat measured if you want something to base your goal on besides weight.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I'm 5' 6.5" and my goal weight is 140. It's in the middle range of what's considered healthy for my height, but since I have a larger frame, I think I will probably look quite slim at that weight.
  • jsjp
    jsjp Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I am 5'5" and started at 159 lbs. I am currently 152 lbs. I consider myself med to large frame. Hourglass figure. My goal is 135. I know from being 135 before i dont want to go smaller. It makes me look too thin.
  • ashharris424
    ashharris424 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7" and my goal weight is 145 which is on the higher end of my healthy BMI. Being "bigger" runs in my family so I have the pear shaped body but with big boobs. I have a feeling those aren't going anywhere which is why I don't think anything lower than 140-145 would be realistic for me.
  • Dragon67
    Dragon67 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Hi, 5ft 6inch tall, large frame and I do want to be "skinny" just comfortable in being ME, I would be happy to get down to about 170-175lbs and see how I feel., them move on from there if I felt I would be happier, I have always been on the large framed side, even as a tenenager i was by no means fat, but have a large bust and a broad back & shoulders !, currently at 185 ( will know tonight when I weigh in at fat class! :blushing: )
  • baileybiddles
    baileybiddles Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Hey there!

I am 5'6" And my ultimate goal is 140. I started at 203 pounds, and my current weight is 191.4. Inching there, inching there! Slow progress is better than no progress. I've been on this journey for six months and started with weight watchers... Quit that last weekend as my results were continually plateuing and decided to try a different approach. Calorie counting is definitely a change but I enjoy it.
  • jj1973
    jj1973 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I didn't read all of the posts, but here is how you can determine your body frame size....

Measure around your wrist.

For a female that is 5'6":

Small Frame = Wrist size less than 6.25"
    Medium Frame = Wrist size between 6.25" and 6.5"
    Large Frame = Wrist size greater than 6.5"

For the record, I didn't make this up. Do the research for yourself and decide if it is reliable. Each person undoubtably carries their weight differently. I don't carry mine around my wrists so this measurement seems reliable for my situation.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    I forgot about that wrist thing.. I am definitely a "small" frame.. but I'm already at 25%BF.. even if I got down between 16-20%BF, I would still be thick and would weigh atleast 150lbs
  • BakerRunnerBadass
    BakerRunnerBadass Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    I have always assumed or felt like I was big boned (come from a group of husky German's). My original goal is to get to 150 and see how I look and feel then evaluate from there.

I started at 221 and am currently at 182.
  • Fit147
    Fit147 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I am 5'6.5" and look and feel best when in the high 140s. If I get down to the high 120s, my period drops so I know that is too light for my medium/large fame.
  • Aleta7
    Aleta7 Posts: 92
    Options
    I'm 5'6" and would be looking really good at 145...I have a large chest..so allowing for the top 140 is perfect for me.:happy:
  • Fit147
    Fit147 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I didn't read all of the posts, but here is how you can determine your body frame size....

Measure around your wrist.

For a female that is 5'6":

Small Frame = Wrist size less than 6.25"
    Medium Frame = Wrist size between 6.25" and 6.5"
    Large Frame = Wrist size greater than 6.5"

My husband got me a nice watch that I had fitted to my wrist at the time by having a link removed. I was 162 at the time. It is too tight for me right now at 193....so beware ladies of this wive's tale.. You gain weight everywhere, wrists and fingers included. Don't conclude that you are a large frame if your wrist is more than 6.5"... If you check down the road you may find you are smaller. :)
  • vickilynch946
    Options
    Well I am 5'6 and I now weigh 154-headed-I hope to 147. I am now a size 8 so it may be unrealistic for you to hope to be a size 6 at that weight! Sorry-wrong person-the way these replys work is nuts!
  • MikaMojito
    MikaMojito Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    In 2011 I estimate I weighed in around 75kg / 165lbs and wore size 12, which I was perfectly happy with.

When I was 16 I weighed about 63kg, was size 10 and I didn't like my ribs sticking out.
  • chellycakes
    chellycakes Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Oh yes. I'm a large frame pear shaped woman! I love my curves and want to get more toned. Currently I am 165, and pretty okay with it. I'd like to lost maybe ten pounds and I'd be the weight I was in high school.
  • hararayne
    hararayne Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I have a large frame (based on wrist measurement and my insanely wide hips). My goal weight is 157, the top of the BMI range, because I weighed 165 in high school and was just a little pudgy. I had pretty good muscles back then, but not great, so I figure 157 with decent muscles would be perfect. Plus it's an even 200 pounds lost. I think I actually need to get to 154 to be considered "healthy".

I was actually quite happy between 165-175. I knew I needed to firm up a bit, but I didn't feel grossly fat, and I could still do anything I wanted, like roller coasters, zip lines, comfortable on an airplane, etc. Right now, I'd be happy to get under 200. It's not that I'm settling, but once I'm under 200 and can do all of that stuff again, any more weight loss is just a bonus. :)

I'm a lot like you. I decided my goal is 163 because I was measured at the gym and the said my lean muscle mass was 142 lbs. For me to get down to the weights I'd been obsessing about, I'd HAVE to lose muscle mass. Or an arm or something else vital.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6 and in my profile pic I am 154lbs. I have always weighed more than I look like I do. I think I could probably have got down to 145, but definitely no lower.

I'm currently 17 weeks pregnant with my 3rd and will be very happy to get back to 154 after!
  • bjshields
    bjshields Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6" also and looked fantastic at 138. My current goal is 135, and I have NO IDEA what I weigh now, bc I'm scared of the scale! Every time I got on it 3-4 months ago, it was 161. I've significantly changed my eating (lots of veggies, fruits & whole grains, no animal foods) and am feeling and seeing a change, but I still won't get on the scale. Going to the doc this week, so I'll see how much I am. I try to go by clothes. When I'm a size 7-8, I look & feel my best. Good luck to you!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!