Why am I losing weight?

Options

Replies

• Laurlkat
    Laurlkat Posts: 16
    Options
    I will be honest. I track my macros, but I don't live by them. The calories in/ calories out is what I pay attention to.. And it works. If it stops working, I will tweak what I do to see if that makes a difference. I know that I do WAY better as long as I track what I'm eating, and when I exercise. And for the first time in my life, I'm actually enjoying exercise. Maybe it's the fitbit, which tracks what I'm doing for me. So, my solid scientific advice is this.... If it works for you, and you can stick to it, then it works. Period. There is no point in starting a "diet" that you will quit when you hit your goal weight. It has to be a lifestyle change.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Well, here's the thing. If all you want is weight loss, then a calorie is a calorie. End of discussion.

If, on the other hand, you want a sustainable and healthy diet that will maximize your athletic performance, you should eat more vegetables and pay attention to the quality and quantity of the fat and protein you eat.

There is a lot of confusion on the forums (and elsewhere on the internet) on these two issues--weight loss vs. overall health. For the latter, you need to be more careful about your diet. For the former, eat whatever you want. For your mental health, perhaps a donut once in a while is not a bad idea.
  • Fedup23
    Fedup23 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I dont know who these people are that are telling you you shouldnt be losing weigh.. it should be EASY for a 300+ pound woman to lose weight.. hell.. it was easy for the 310 lb man I used to be to lose weight. Its not rocket science. I would suspect you will want to reevaluate your snack cakes, pizza, gravy, potato chip etc etc etc diet when you get closer to your goal.. and you might want to give your cholesterol level a break at some point too, if that interests you at all. I know I am more interested in overall health more than weight loss than I was before at this point.

Someone will probably come here and tell you that you probably could have lost 80 pounds by now.. but you know what.. who cares.. its your life and your diet.. if its working for you.. run with it! :)
  • kmc2211
    kmc2211 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your weight loss! All the fitness and diet trends have confused me for years. Do not fear food! Life is too short to cut out entire good groups/desserts/wine etc. etc. It sounds like you have figured out a way to maintain your new habits and that is what matters. :smile:
  • Nikusz
    Nikusz Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    eating at deficit will result in losing weight. simple.
    the rest is pretty much a collection of ways to make eating at deficit easier (like eating more protein to make one feel full longer).
    http://edition.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/index.html
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    Everyone is saying things but no one is answering my question. I hate the internet.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Everyone is saying things but no one is answering my question. I hate the internet.

Sorry you feel that way about the internet.

Your question was, "why am I losing weight?"

I will answer it as follows: "you are losing weight because you are eating at a caloric deficit."

Your other question was, "why is my body not shutting down?"

My answer is, "I don't know, because I am not a doctor. People can survive on a variety of diets, from vegan to almost entirely meat-based. Some people are overweight and relatively healthy, and others are thin and quite unhealthy. It depends on your genetics and lifestyle. Until you die and have an autopsy, we can never be fully sure of what is going to be the cause of your death."
  • BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    Options
    Well, here's the thing. If all you want is weight loss, then a calorie is a calorie. End of discussion.

If, on the other hand, you want a sustainable and healthy diet that will maximize your athletic performance, you should eat more vegetables and pay attention to the quality and quantity of the fat and protein you eat.

There is a lot of confusion on the forums (and elsewhere on the internet) on these two issues--weight loss vs. overall health. For the latter, you need to be more careful about your diet. For the former, eat whatever you want. For your mental health, perhaps a donut once in a while is not a bad idea.

I agree. Everything in moderation. McDonalds everyday is not moderation to me.....and it will be hard to continue eating McDonalds daily when you are at a much lower weight and need to consume less calories to maintain a healthy weight.

Until then calories in and calories out will absolutely work and did for me for my first 50lbs, Once I got down to 139lbs I couldn't eat take out daily any more and continue to lose weight. Once a week seems reasonable.
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    . Until you die and have an autopsy, we can never be fully sure of what is going to be the cause of your death."

I've always assumed it's going to be from someone choking me to death. And not in the cool way.
  • snaapz
    snaapz Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    The Cals in / Cals out thing .... I always wondered... "ok, instead of burning 200-300 calories running on a tredmill for half an hour... how about I just don't eat this apple and granola bar today. Simple!

Not that simple :(
  • ChristineS_51
    ChristineS_51 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    I had a quick look at your diary, and the days you filled in along with your exercise - you are eating plenty, exercising plenty, and obviously your net calories are less than your body needs so it burns the fat. Well done, you have got this! :smile:

Eating enough to lose weight just seems to go against everything we "think" and "know" but since using MFP I have come to realise you have to eat enough, burn some, and the weight will go. What a revelation!! And no living on a lettuce leaf and tuna (been there, done that, eventually lost 10 kgs in 18 months, then gained it back with friends) It is possible to eat a range of foods, and lose weight. :drinker:
  • Griffin220x
    Griffin220x Posts: 399
    Options
    Bump
  • Fedup23
    Fedup23 Posts: 80 Member
    Options

You already know the answer, I thought it was a rhetorical question.. or just a post to complain or try to incite some kind of negative response. But anyways.. you are losing weight because you have a ton to lose and are eating less on your journey downwards than you ate on your journey upwards. :)

I dont think your story will read the same when you get down to 150 lbs.

Nutrition isnt your main goal obviously.. so the "Cal in Cal out is bull****" people are probably satisfied. You get to say you are losing weight.. they get to say you arent doing it in a healthy manner.. everyone wins. :)
  • ami5000psu
    ami5000psu Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    9148130.jpg
  • mary1028
    mary1028 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I think you are dead right. I also feel the whole exercising for thesole purpose of losing weight is a SO misleading. I think exercising is wonderful and it makes me feel good emotionally and physically but l don't think it wlll, in and of itself, make me lose weight. I think each of us is an individual and must find what works for ourselves. I am not dieting ever again. I am changing little things one at a time to see if it is a fit for me. But I am not not going swimming, walk (at 65 I don't run) the local races, or wear an sleeveless top while gardening etc because some one might think I am fat - hello everybody with eyes knows I am fat. This approach is working for me slowly but steady. Down 40 lbs today. And I am so much more happy with my self then when I worried about everything.

But there is a billion dollar industry that makes money only if it convinces me that there is something horribliy wrong with me and they have the secret to fix me for the small amount of (you fill in amount)!!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    It's because at night while you're sleeping magical unicorns take all the carbs and toxinz out of your food. You're that special.

tumblr_lucboxF2cK1r17826_zps13b31da1.gif
  • babydiego87
    babydiego87 Posts: 905 Member
    Options

You already know the answer, I thought it was a rhetorical question.. or just a post to complain or try to incite some kind of negative response. But anyways.. you are losing weight because you have a ton to lose and are eating less on your journey downwards than you ate on your journey upwards. :)
    OP is a troll. A well known one. She brings up good points in the OP though.

It really is as simple as in calories in/out.
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    Love it!!! And, I'm TOTALLY sending you a friend request based on that post! LOL! I agree!

This!
  • RacerX_14
    RacerX_14 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    . Until you die and have an autopsy, we can never be fully sure of what is going to be the cause of your death."

I've always assumed it's going to be from someone choking me to death. And not in the cool way.

I've always felt the same way!! Congrats and keep up the good work!!
  • mary1028
    mary1028 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I had a quick look at your diary, and the days you filled in along with your exercise - you are eating plenty, exercising plenty, and obviously your net calories are less than your body needs so it burns the fat. Well done, you have got this! :smile:

Eating enough to lose weight just seems to go against everything we "think" and "know" but since using MFP I have come to realise you have to eat enough, burn some, and the weight will go. What a revelation!! And no living on a lettuce leaf and tuna (been there, done that, eventually lost 10 kgs in 18 months, then gained it back with friends) It is possible to eat a range of foods, and lose weight. :drinker:

Smart woman!!!