• maya723
    maya723 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Wow! So inspiring - all of you. ;-)
  • olehcat
    olehcat Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Thank you thank you thank you for this.

I just read through this whole thread and it gave me so much hope.

I'm 42 and I don't have a huge amount to lose, just about 10 pounds to not be overweight anymore, and then some vanity weight, but I had fallen into a sad pattern of believing that maybe it just wasn't possible to get back down to my ideal weight anymore due to age and hormones. But just reading how many of you are able to lose weight at our age and well is incredibly inspiring.

I am going to reread again for hints. I have a LOT of bad habits i need to stop if I want to even stop gaining. I have a big evening wine habit that I need to cut down on, as well as a problem of perceiving food and treats as "excitement" and not fuel.
  • ldicianno
    ldicianno Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I am 45 and 5'8" I have been trying to lose weight since january I started at 174lbs I got down to 166 (only lasted a week) now I'm back up to 170. I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. I went to the dr and I have no thyroid problems Ha I even lowered my cholesterol 36pts from 216. so I'm doing something right... I just can not lose weight.. Maybe hormones?! I know its not a plateau. Ha I haven't lost any how can you plateau the minute you start a diet!! I workout like crazy and eat really well, most of the time.
    I feel your pain!!
    Some advice would be greatly appreciated!! ANYONE!!!
  • mynulife
    mynulife Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    WOW! I think I should read this post every day! If I could convince myself to live this way - I might just be able to see some success in the weightloss department! Thanks for the inspiration :)
  • dynamicwon
    dynamicwon Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    bump
  • worthyofchange
    worthyofchange Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    bump
  • sandraschimank
    Options
    bump
  • Kymwho
    Kymwho Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • olores
    olores Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Hey, this would be me...53 and lost 76+ and still counting!!!
  • maki040403
    maki040403 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I am 53 and have lost 73 pounds. My journey started 10/10. I have been maintaining for the past year mostly. My weight fluctuates by around 5 to 10 pounds. I am now trying to lose the last 20 pounds that I had wanted to lose a year ago.

What worked for me is
    Logging my calories, Trying to stay as close to 1200 as possible. Try to eat healthy
    Taking a break on the weekends (That doesn't mean going totally crazy, but not as strict as Monday-Friday) And I didn't log on weekends
    EXERCISE! at least 4-5 days a week. I do 1 hour usually, sometimes more.
    If you mess up-don't give up just take control again and keep going!

This is a life change in my opinion, not a diet!
  • silvercanoe
    silvercanoe Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Lincolnlady217
    Lincolnlady217 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Hi there!

I'm 48 (ugh lol!) and I started my weight loss journey/lifestyle change just shy of 1 year ago (Aug 22 2012) and I am happy to say that I have lost 140 lbs (not done yet!) since then! I started at 295 and currently weigh 154 and I'm 5'0" tall. If all goes well this week, it will be a big milestone for me as I will cross over from obese (hate that word!) to merely overweight and I am super excited!

When I started I was losing at least 3 lbs a week steadily, now it's 2 lbs a week and I am very happy with the pace of loss, any quicker and I would be constantly out of clothes that fit! ;). I eat 1200 calories a day, rarely cheat, try to keep my sodium between 1200-1500 mgs per day, drink at least 10 cups of water per day, and take a multi-vitamin as well as other supplements to add back any nutients I may be deficient in. I have a skin condition that is much better if I don't eat wheat, nightshade veggies (tomatoes, potatoes, peppers), red meat, or refined sugar (when practical-I'm not fanatical, but I don't add sugar to anything I make, but if I'm out and its in there I'm not going to fuss about it), so my diet is mostly fresh fruits and veggies, chicken, salmon, non fat dairy but I do eat gluten free brown Rice Krispies and fruit for breakfast mainly for convenience. I haven't plateaued, thank goodness, and I don't eat back my exercise calories (I know, some people hate that, but it's working for me), in fact I don't log exercise in my diary because I did get some flack when I started about not eating the calories back, so I stopped logging the exercise and haven't had a problem since lol! I walk twice a week, and do 30 mins of strength training 3 times a week with TRX Tensions Straps.

I am proof that it is possible to lose a substantial amount of weight after 40, so don't think you can't, it's not as easy as for a younger woman, but if you stick to it you can do it too! Im not at my goal yet, i still have another 29 lbs to go, and I hope to be in maintenance by the end of the year! My diary is open, and any female can add me if they like-I don't have any male MFP friends, sorry guys, but you probably don't want to hear about fluffy female issues anyway lol!
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    SkimFlatWhite68 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    Hi Debbie, I am 45 and over the past 10 months have lost about 26kg (58lb).

I have logged my calories here every day this year, mostly between 1300-1800, averaging 1500 a day.

I do weight training 3 x per week. Walk 5 x per week for about an hour. Yes I eat back my exercise calories.

My diet is about 40% protein, 30% carbs 30% fat. I can't imagine eating any other way.

I don't regard myself as being on a diet, it's the way I live now. I've had social engagements and have gone over my calories for a few days but when the party is over, I get straight back on to my plan.

You can do it, but it does take longer than it would have in our 20's or 30's, that's for sure :)
  • regirom
    regirom Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Healthy67Chick
    Healthy67Chick Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Michelled1919
    Michelled1919 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    bump
  • karen_golfs
    karen_golfs Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I'm 59 and have lost 75 pounds since October 2012 - strictly counting calories. Not much exercise but very loyal to logging all food.
  • learnerdriver
    learnerdriver Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    thank you ladies.
  • Merrysix
    Merrysix Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I am 59 and have lost 75 pounds over about 18 months, and have maintained my weight loss for about 4 months now. I eat between 1600 and 1800 calories a day depending on how much I exercise. I have to follow a pretty specific food plan to keep my food cravings at bay so I don't overeat or feel too sluggish to exercise vigorously.

Here is a summary of how/why I eat and exercise the way I do. First it is great to wear size 8/10, and enjoy exercise the way I do. There is a great article in well.blogs.nytimes.com today titled "How Carbs Can Trigger Food Cravings by Anahad O'Connor. it summarizes new resarch published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition and research published in 2010 in the New England Journal of Medicine that shows that sugary foods and other processed carbs that are known to cause abrupt spikes and falls in blood sugar appear to stimulate parts of the brain involved in hunger, craving and reward. In other words if you eat these foods you want more. It isn't so much that in terms of actual energy/ calories there is a difference, but that these foods affect the neurotransmitters int he brain in a way that sets off craving and leads to overeating. That is why those who say it doesn't matter what you eat do a disservice to those of us who are sensitive to higher carb foods and the resulting cravings. In other words we need to stick to a lower carb/higher protein food plan to sustain a healthy way of eating that allows us to lose weight.

This research supports what I have learned by trial and error. I have lost 75 pounds (took about 18 months) by eating a low carb/high protein (all relatively speaking) diet; and avoiding foods that cause me to crave overeating (sugary and high carb foods). I also ate moderate calories and exercised most days.

What I experienced is that high carb foods set off cravings in me (not immediately but as I begin to metabolize them). I believe I am genetically sensitive to these foods, based on what I have read about the science, and that some people probably share that sensitivity and others don't (like alcohol and alcoholics). What was interesting to me, is that it took about 30 days for the craving to go away, and during that time I experienced symptoms that have been described by other types of addicts who have experienced withdrawal (tired, ache, feeling like the flu, etc.) What is also interesting to me is that it doesn't really depend on what kind of carbs -- I find that very high carb fruits like watermelon, pineapple, etc. set off the cravings as I begin to metabolize them while less ripe apples, pears, and berries generally do not. Brown rice, whole grain breads, etc. also don't work for me. I get plenty of carbs from vegetables, e.g. broccoli, eggplant, cauliflower, carrots, etc , less ripe apples, pears, etc. I also seem to need a lot more protein that what a lot of people talk about, and I eat that spread out four times a day.

At 60, I feel better than I have ever felt before, and don't crave the sweet/white flour stuff. I lift heavy weights, do kettle bells, a lot of aerobic exercise, and my arthritis is so much better I can even jog a moderate amount with the approval of my arthritis doctor. Amazing what weight loss, and increased muscle strength can do for arthritis!

I am so glad that this science and epidemiology is available to help others, and that I do not need to feel that I am a sample of one.
  • hsmommy22
    Options
    I'm 46 and I've lost 36 lbs since Nov 2012. I still have about 30-40 lbs to go. I decided to change my lifestyle after a conversation with my doctor. I didn't have any health problems, but didn't want to develop any either.

I've logged my food/exercise strictly. My youngest sister bought a heart monitor for my other sister and myself last August. I love using it for exercise. My doctor told me to exercise 4 times a week for 40 minutes each time. For a long time I did much more than that, but recently I've had to cut back to a short term health situation. (Not brought about by my weight, by the way. )

I do watch portion sizes. However I eat whatever I want. This includes eating out and sugar. I just plan for it and log in the calories. I didn't eat back any exercise calories until lately. I've allowed myself some "freedom" lately with the exercise calories as temporary trials called for me to not be so rigid. Yet I haven't given up nor have I given in. I am still continuing to lose. Not super fast, but I'm not willing to do what that would take!

One thing I do is every 5 lbs or so lost, I go back in to change my calorie goals on MFP to make sure I'm eating to continue losing. I think this has been very helpful for me.

Thanks for the original post as I've found reading through the responses to be quite encouraging!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!