Registered Dietitian in TX here to answer questions.

Options

Replies

• Maribabewhich
    Maribabewhich Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    On most weeks I keep my calorie at a limit of 1500-1800 calories a day but have noticed that if I eat healthier foods in that calorie range and fast food in that calorie range the results are really different! I tend to lose about 3-4 pounds a week eating 1500-1800 calories of healthy foods. If its mostly fast food in the calorie range I will only lose 1-2 pounds instead. Why is it different if its the same amount of calories and I am still exercising? Thanks!
    [/quote

Is 1500 - 1800 net ?
  • FoodandFitness
    FoodandFitness Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    tell me what u know about alcohol and its effects on weightloss, even if it fits a deficit...

Also is it possible to have a weightloss stall because ur not netting bmr or eating less than suggested due to intense workouts, like crossfit?? (Even with 30% bf).

Have u seen the cortisol managing products on the market? Any evidence of them effecting fat loss?

Lastly, do u have any pt clients with asthma? Can u train them to distance run? I am extremely fit and able to sprint with the best of them.. but i cant run more than about 3 minutes without losing control of my breathing.

I actually made a video on alcohol and nutrition, check it out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuGsYdroRFE

Weight loss stalls happen when you no longer are achieving a deficit. Got a video on that too http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18hWej4e1u0

Haven't looked into the cortisol products.

I was diagnosed with asthma myself and yes, I have clients with it too. You can build yourself up to running, just run slower and take your time building up.
  • MicheleWE
    MicheleWE Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Bump to read later.
  • Scott15Fit
    Options
    Bump for FL
  • wease1204
    wease1204 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    bump
  • AllysaurusX
    AllysaurusX Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I am 34 years old. Always been a yoyo dieter. Mostly to do with pregnancy and losing. From there I started struggling with food. I will go through healthy obsessed periods and then a complete junk food diet. Fast food daily, unhealthy snacks, soda, diet soda, no exercise etc. Even with that lifestyle I stabilised at 64 kilos.

So, a few weeks ago I decided to cut out sugar and really stick to it. I am eating everything except sugar. Slowly it branched out to healthier foods and now I aim for lots of fibre and low saturated fat in my diet. I basically eat what I make home. My ultimate indulgence is about 10-20g of dark chocolate (70-85%) a day with a cup of green tea.

After changing my diet without counting calories, etc. I weighed 59.3 kilos. I went to measure my body fat percentage and was done with an inbody machine at the gym. I have a BMR or 1260. Now I am eating 1200- 1300 a day. When I exercise I eat more.

I am very happy with the food, never feel bloated or sluggish after a meal, just replenished. But the last few days I started to feel hungry at night. (don't feed myself but wonder if I should- tummy rumbling, etc) But I am gaining weight? I am now 59.9. As crazy as it sounds, I do not want to go back to 60 kilos.

What should I do? Should I continue what I am doing? Eat more like some people suggest, or eat less like others suggest?

My aim is to lose waist inches because my Waist to Hip Ratio is slightly high (0.85) and so is my body fat percentage (33%)

I just want to know that I am doing the right things and I just need to be patient as this is the first month of these changes or NOT. So I don't want to continue what I am doing "waiting it out" when I am doing the wrong things. I feel scared of eating less because of that stuff I read about starvation mode. The last thing I want to do is lose more muscle mass and replace that with even more fat (increase my body fat percentage)

So what do you recommend?
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    Trying to get better about the macros. Finding I'm over eating carbs and fat. Suggestions on balancing out some snacks that keep me on track? Thanks
  • FoodandFitness
    Options
    Trying to get better about the macros. Finding I'm over eating carbs and fat. Suggestions on balancing out some snacks that keep me on track? Thanks

Start your day off with a very high protein breakfast so you can coast the rest of the day.

Also, try planning your lean proteins and vegetables first, then build everything else around that.

Snack: beef jerky
  • FoodandFitness
    Options
    Hi,

I am 34 years old. Always been a yoyo dieter. Mostly to do with pregnancy and losing. From there I started struggling with food. I will go through healthy obsessed periods and then a complete junk food diet. Fast food daily, unhealthy snacks, soda, diet soda, no exercise etc. Even with that lifestyle I stabilised at 64 kilos.

So, a few weeks ago I decided to cut out sugar and really stick to it. I am eating everything except sugar. Slowly it branched out to healthier foods and now I aim for lots of fibre and low saturated fat in my diet. I basically eat what I make home. My ultimate indulgence is about 10-20g of dark chocolate (70-85%) a day with a cup of green tea.

After changing my diet without counting calories, etc. I weighed 59.3 kilos. I went to measure my body fat percentage and was done with an inbody machine at the gym. I have a BMR or 1260. Now I am eating 1200- 1300 a day. When I exercise I eat more.

I am very happy with the food, never feel bloated or sluggish after a meal, just replenished. But the last few days I started to feel hungry at night. (don't feed myself but wonder if I should- tummy rumbling, etc) But I am gaining weight? I am now 59.9. As crazy as it sounds, I do not want to go back to 60 kilos.

What should I do? Should I continue what I am doing? Eat more like some people suggest, or eat less like others suggest?

My aim is to lose waist inches because my Waist to Hip Ratio is slightly high (0.85) and so is my body fat percentage (33%)

I just want to know that I am doing the right things and I just need to be patient as this is the first month of these changes or NOT. So I don't want to continue what I am doing "waiting it out" when I am doing the wrong things. I feel scared of eating less because of that stuff I read about starvation mode. The last thing I want to do is lose more muscle mass and replace that with even more fat (increase my body fat percentage)

So what do you recommend?

cut your calories 10% and bump up your protein and fiber to help you feel full

Also, because of your history of yo yo dieting, I would recommend you seek the help of a RD or trainer, at least just for accountability.
  • AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    I noticed on your webpage that you have trained a few athletes. Would you happen to have or know the regime for cutting 20 pounds in two weeks which is typical in pro MMA fighters like GSP? I've actually looked up GSP's cutting routine before but it really wasn't specific. I believe it said that he cut his calorie intake by 20% and increased his steady state cardio. My goal weight and size is very similar to GSP so that's why i asked about GSP.
  • FoodandFitness
    Options
    I noticed on your webpage that you have trained a few athletes. Would you happen to have or know the regime for cutting 20 pounds in two weeks which is typical in pro MMA fighters like GSP? I've actually looked up GSP's cutting routine before but it really wasn't specific. I believe it said that he cut his calorie intake by 20% and increased his steady state cardio. My goal weight and size is very similar to GSP so that's why i asked about GSP.

Weight class sport competitors (fighters, wrestlers, etc.) cut water weight before they compete. They do this with carbohydrate depletion, salt restrictions, and very often- prescription diuretics. I don't recommend this for anyone unless you're competing for $ at a professional level- at that point, you gotta do what you gotta do. I'll leave it at that.

If you want to look like GSP, just keep lifting eating according to your goals. Nothing extreme.
  • Beavergong
    Beavergong Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I've been on the 5:2 diet for 4 weeks and have lost 5kg but for the last two weeks on the second fast day my system has become very sluggish and on the next day I feel as though nothing is moving. I do make sure I drink 8 glasses of water on fast days and I've tried taking 1 teaspoon of slippery elm and drinking " regular tea". I don't want to give up the diet but I don't want my system to slow down . Any suggestions? My fast days are Tuesday and Thursday.
  • Thepinkdaisy
    Options
    I agree with everything said so far except the part about Tosca Reno, but as you said, "you're not here to argue". Neither am I.

None the less, I thank you for your help.

One question. I do not understand how to calculate protein percentages. My weight is 165, I am 41 yrs and my goals weight is 117. Can you explain this? If it's been explained and I missed it, just tell me to "reread" and I will.
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    If it has not been asked already, is it ok to eat below your BMR?

Is there a too low point if eating below your BMR?

If already answered then I will find it.

Yes it's fine. BMR and RMR, unless tested in the lab, are going to be rough estimations any ways. It's a good starting point but in the end, you have to make changes based on the results you are getting with your current methods.

So if my BMR IS 1800 and my net calories at the end of the day are only 600, I'm okay? TIA!

You're OK. Like I said, it's all estimations anyways and you have to base your methods off your results. Getting the results you want and not starving or feeling deprived? Good.

You're joking, right?

No. I'm not.

Maybe you're thinking I'm joking because you believe in a "starvation mode?" Is that the case?

I ask if you're joking because I don't understand how in good conscience you can recommend someone actively eat less than what their body needs to survive long-term, unsupervised medically. The real laughs start coming when you're advocating a diet so low in calories that there is no possible way for them to meet the requirements of most, if any, vitamins and minerals essential for the function of the human body. Less is NOT always more, and I think it's pretty tragic to see a professional recommending/promoting unhealthy behaviors surrounding food.

LOL, so you think this person is going to die or get a disease from maintaining a large deficit for a period of time and reaching his or her goal weight?

dangerxbadger: Says
    Yep. I think we're done here. Anyone looking for advice from this guy, look no further than the conversation between he and I. You may as well get some Raspberry Ketones from Dr. Oz while you're at it.

Seriously the only people that believe it's not ok to eat under your BMR are people on this site. I have been to 2 dietician and neither had a problem with it.
  • lovelylittlegiggles
    lovelylittlegiggles Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    bfl
  • AllysaurusX
    AllysaurusX Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    What ratios should I be aiming for? I am doing 55 carbs, 15 protein (but I eat more like 20% protein, 50% carbs) and 30% fat.

Thanks for the super quick reply :)
  • AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options

Seriously the only people that believe it's not ok to eat under your BMR are people on this site. I have been to 2 dietician and neither had a problem with it.

I think it's because most people's educational level are that of what they find off of MFP, the 1200 calorie mark when you sign up, and some are under the impression that MFP has staff with some type of formal education on nutrition. MFP was created by a software developer and I'm sure the 1200 mark is just to protect him against any liability.

Edit: Anyway. Cool thread and thanks tony.
  • Thepinkdaisy
    Options

I think it's because most people's educational level are that of what they find off of MFP, the 1200 calorie mark when you sign up, and some are under the impression that MFP has staff with some type of formal education on nutrition. MFP was created by a software developer and I'm sure the 1200 mark is just to protect him against any liability.

Edit: Anyway. Cool thread and thanks tony.

I do know a nutritionist who recommended a woman eat MORE and then workout MORE in order to lose and it worked. I am not saying what is right, if I knew, I wouldn't be overweight, but it is confusing.
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options

People are not automatically given 1200 cals by MFP though, that is what it works out to be for quite alot though because they select the most aggressive weight loss goal per week. (2lbs)

Thanks Tony, great to see someone with actual knowledge in nutrition speaking up and answering questions.
  • Thepinkdaisy
    Options
    Will fasting hurt me, such as stopping eating at 6pm and then starting again about 11am? Something of that nature. It helps me create a deficit comfortably. When I eat six mini meals I stay hungry and I gain weight. I have tried and tried. Not eating makes me feel more energetic. When i eat just one large meal or two larger meals vs the mini meals I feel better.

Also is it safe for me to cut to about 600 calories three days a week and then eat normal the rest of the week in order to create a deficit? On my three days, I would eat only veggies, lean meat and two fruits to create a carb deficit as well.