Registered Dietitian in TX here to answer questions.

Options

Replies

• Cricket09
    Cricket09 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I love making smoothies but a lot of recipes call for banana, peanut butter and/or yogurt and I'm allergic to each of these ingredients. I've been making berry smoothies (fresh blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, blackberries with a scoop of egg white powder, 3 oz. pineapple juice and water to desired consistency), but I want to try some new recipes. What can I use to replace banana, peanut butter and yogurt in smoothies and get similar nutritional benefits?

Thanks in advace for your help.

Chris

Replace bananas with any other fruit.
    Replace peanut butter with any other nut butter.
    Replace yogurt with soy yogurt.

Thank you! I just wasn't sure which fruit would give me the same nutritional value as bananas. I think I'll try mango. :) Have a nice day and thanks for offering your help to everyone. :)
  • stacestaceey
    Options
    please answer
  • bkscott5
    bkscott5 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Re-post. I never got an answer. Tks.

Tue 10/09/12 07:39 AM
    Hi Tony, thank you for trying to help people on MFP.
    I'm a 43 yr old female, 5'9", last weight loss was in May @ 158, last weigh in a few weeks ago @ 163. I have several medical problems which pretty much make me bed ridden so no I don't do any exercise unless u count hopping sideways on 1 leg with the help of my walker to and from the bathroom. I have done better this year on dieting & eating at least 5 servings of fruits & veggies everyday. I'm very limited on the foods I'm able to eat since I have to be taken care if so I get one cooked meal a day usually & the rest of my food is kept @ room temp in my bedroom. Along with the fact that I'm a very picky eater, I was raised with horrible eating habits including being allowed to eat ice cream or anything else I want for breakfast since my my mom said as long as u eat something. Being overweight is on both sides of my parents families, however both my parents r under weight cuz my dad only eats one meal a day & my mom can go about 3 days before she has to eat, so she will take a bite or 2 & be fine. I can't do that, I like to eat plus since I had cancer I'm really trying to eat a healthy diet. Since I dont exercise MFP gave me 1200 cals & most the time when I've seen people eat less than the 1200 people start telling them along with MFP that u need to eat atleast 1200 cals. According to u, since I haven't loss anyweight for a long time I need to eat less. So how many cals should I be eating? Also I was told that I should change the % of the different types of food so what % should I eat of each of the types? I'm always too high on my sugar just with the fruit I eat at times, or cuz I eat bad cereal (even though lucky charms says it's healthy on the box), & I really like having a half cup of low fat ice cream in a cone every night. I would also like to know if there us anyplace on the web that I can type the foods that I do like & have the site tell recommend foods that I should try based on the fact of what I like. It's too expensive to just start trying random food plus I have to have someone get it for me. My oldest daughter works hard to overcome the family diet problems & she said I shouldnt eat too many carbs cuz they turn to fat if unused which they would be in my body & that I should eat my ice cream @ lunch & not eat after dinner @ 6. I'm starving if I do that & when I get too hungry in not eat something I want I end up eating way too much & not the right foods. MFP friends have been trying to help me get more protein and less carbs and no ice cream or diet soda in my diet but over the last few weeks I've been real hungry & I've gone over my 1200 cals that I use stay just around the 1200 mark I know this is a lot & I'm a mess but thank you for any help u can give me, I'd really like to weigh around 125-35lbs but I've been stuck at 159-6? On the diet & before chemo 180.

Report Post Quote Reply
  • darlenepatrice
    Options
    Thank you !!
  • bkscott5
    bkscott5 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Another re-post. Thank you for all your time Tony.

Sat 10/06/12 03:02 PM
    Thank you Tony for offering ur career knowledge. The first time I came to the message board to post a ? I really thought someone trained on my topic would answer, not just a whole lot of people giving their advice & like u know arguing their feelings against others. So thank you for taking ur time to help other people.
    I'm having digestive problems & i was losing weight slowly for the beginning of the year after i joined MFP (weight watchers didn't work) til about the end of May, i know u stated that if ur not losing ur eating too much but i did lose 16lbs & i only get 1200 cals & it's stated that eating less than that causes ur body into starvation mode. So I'm hoping that u will be able to see where I'm going wrong on both counts.
    I'm 43 with cronic pain in several parts of my body, the major part is my lower back which causes pain 24/7 & any movements intensifies that pain. I've suffered major headaches & migraines (avg 6 days week w/migraines lasting up to 3 days, but some medication I'm on for something else has worked better than getting 4lbs removed in a breast reduction -which didn't help at all, & any meds they have tried for me in the past) so now i avg 1-2 week, for as long as I remember. I have pain areas from head to ankle. I've had IBS which had not bothered me til the last few weeks since starting eating better this yr. 2 yrs ago I had my left leg amputated from below the knee cuz I had had a real rare cancer growing in my heal bone for yrs. My mom always said I had a high tolerance to pain & I'd like to believe that since I had the tumor growing in my foot for over 2 yrs when I noticed it hurting & just tried to modify my actions so I could keep working, I started by trying to not put much pressure on it, to walking on my toes, all the way til I was on crutches & could only take about 50 steps til I had to let it rest. My foot was red, swollen, could not have anything touching it so I would have to keep it in the air. No pain pills including dilaudid, morphine, or oxy would even touch the pain at all. I tell u all this so when I say I'm pretty much bed bound u don't just think I need to push through the pain or I'm just lazy. I do have a pain mgmt dr & he is fighting the ins co to try to work at lowering the pain. I'm also hopping that as time goes on I will at least get back to the pain level where I can get up & do some things but the prosthetic leg causes more problems with my back when I stand & walk with it, not to mention the leg pain itself & phantom pain. So no I don't exercise even though I know it is good for me. I am hopping that maybe I can start doing something small with my arms.
    I'm female, 43yrs, 5'9", around 160. I eat cereal, kashi &/or fiber one bar, cheese stick, 13-26 natural almonds, 2teas-16teas peanut butter, 94%fat free 100 cal popcorn. Dinners usually range from 2slices whole grain whole wheat bread & jelly or 2pc dark chicken w/or w/o skin or steak fajitas or cheese pizza or spaghetti. Fruits & veggies are usually 5-8 servings most often half cucumber, celery w/pb, tomatoes, apple, orange (for winter, summer has more fruits). I was having 1/2 cup low fat mint chip ice cream every night but I got away from that for a week til I started feeling sick for the last 2weeks & it really sounded good again. I did have 2%choc milk 1/2 cup at different times since starting. I'm usually real close to the 1200, just a few cals under is what I aim for but sometimes a few over.
    So now that you have my life story, what can I do to help my digestion problem that has started again? I'm almost always over on my fiber % so I would think I wouldn't have any problems like that. Do u want to lower my cals & to what number so I can start losing again & actually lose every week til I'm around 135?
    I thank you again for ur time, especially w/how long this turned out.

Report Post Quote Reply
  • snafuing1
    snafuing1 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I never got an answer either, so reposting... if there was something wrong with my question I'm sorry, but I dunno what it would be...

Hi Tony, thanks for doing this!

First off, I am a 24 year old woman, 5'6", 146 lbs. I would estimate my body fat percentage to be about 22-24%, but I've never had it taken by a professional. I lift heavy weights (modified Starting Strength program) and run for about 20-30 minutes 3 days per week, and I go to the rock gym for a couple hours and climb 3 days per week on off days, leaving 1 day to rest from everything. I eat 1 gram of protein per pound of lean body mass, or about 115-125 grams of protein per day, and split the rest of my calories more or less between carbs and fat.

Now, my question: How do I bust through my fat loss plateau? I have been fluctuating between about 145-150lbs for at least six months, after losing about 25-30 lbs! I know fat loss can slow down as you approach your goal, but this is getting ridiculous. I know I still have body fat to lose (I want to be 18-20% BF I think), even if I'm building muscle, and I can't seem to shake it. I have tried:

- very low calorie dieting (1200 cals/day + exercise cals)
    - eating my BMR (1500 cals/days, with and without eating back exercise cals)
    - a metabolic reset (ate my TDEE, 2050, for a few weeks, didn't eat back exercise cals)
    - eating my TDEE minus 15% (1750 cals/day, not eating exercise cals)

Can you help me? What can I do? Am I destined to be this weight forever? Am I calculating my TDEE wrong maybe? Maybe cutting too high or low of a percentage? Something else? Help!!
  • Cricket09
    Cricket09 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Can I just respond to the people that are reposting... it's entirely possible that Tony's not glued to his computer all day. It is Sunday and he may be enjoying the day and will respond when he has time. Or, he's taking his time to craft a thoughtful response to you.... just my thoughts for what it's worth. :)
  • FoodandFitness
    FoodandFitness Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Can I just respond to the people that are reposting... it's entirely possible that Tony's not glued to his computer all day. It is Sunday and he may be enjoying the day and will respond when he has time. Or, he's taking his time to craft a thoughtful response to you.... just my thoughts for what it's worth. :)

Haha, thanks for this post. I was just enjoying a nice Sunday off and away from work and nutrition stuff. I will come back as I'm able this week to respond to questions. Thanks.
  • snafuing1
    Options

I wasn't trying to be rude or hurry him along, I just noticed that I posted back on page 14 and Tony had replied to people after me, so I assumed he didn't see my post. No hurry, just making sure I got noticed!

Hope you enjoyed your Sunday off. :)
  • FoodandFitness
    Options
    I never got an answer either, so reposting... if there was something wrong with my question I'm sorry, but I dunno what it would be...

Hi Tony, thanks for doing this!

First off, I am a 24 year old woman, 5'6", 146 lbs. I would estimate my body fat percentage to be about 22-24%, but I've never had it taken by a professional. I lift heavy weights (modified Starting Strength program) and run for about 20-30 minutes 3 days per week, and I go to the rock gym for a couple hours and climb 3 days per week on off days, leaving 1 day to rest from everything. I eat 1 gram of protein per pound of lean body mass, or about 115-125 grams of protein per day, and split the rest of my calories more or less between carbs and fat.

Now, my question: How do I bust through my fat loss plateau? I have been fluctuating between about 145-150lbs for at least six months, after losing about 25-30 lbs! I know fat loss can slow down as you approach your goal, but this is getting ridiculous. I know I still have body fat to lose (I want to be 18-20% BF I think), even if I'm building muscle, and I can't seem to shake it. I have tried:

- very low calorie dieting (1200 cals/day + exercise cals)
    - eating my BMR (1500 cals/days, with and without eating back exercise cals)
    - a metabolic reset (ate my TDEE, 2050, for a few weeks, didn't eat back exercise cals)
    - eating my TDEE minus 15% (1750 cals/day, not eating exercise cals)

Can you help me? What can I do? Am I destined to be this weight forever? Am I calculating my TDEE wrong maybe? Maybe cutting too high or low of a percentage? Something else? Help!!

The answer to your question is simple. You create and maintain a caloric deficit with diet and or exercise. This is the answer to any and all fat loss plateau problems. You were eating too much even though you thought you weren't.

If you still have difficulty with this, consider hiring a professional to help you. I would love to offer my services to you, but I'm trying to stay within the rules and guidelines of the MFP forums and will not be advertising myself.
  • FoodandFitness
    Options
    Re-post. I never got an answer. Tks.

Tue 10/09/12 07:39 AM
    Hi Tony, thank you for trying to help people on MFP.
    I'm a 43 yr old female, 5'9", last weight loss was in May @ 158, last weigh in a few weeks ago @ 163. I have several medical problems which pretty much make me bed ridden so no I don't do any exercise unless u count hopping sideways on 1 leg with the help of my walker to and from the bathroom. I have done better this year on dieting & eating at least 5 servings of fruits & veggies everyday. I'm very limited on the foods I'm able to eat since I have to be taken care if so I get one cooked meal a day usually & the rest of my food is kept @ room temp in my bedroom. Along with the fact that I'm a very picky eater, I was raised with horrible eating habits including being allowed to eat ice cream or anything else I want for breakfast since my my mom said as long as u eat something. Being overweight is on both sides of my parents families, however both my parents r under weight cuz my dad only eats one meal a day & my mom can go about 3 days before she has to eat, so she will take a bite or 2 & be fine. I can't do that, I like to eat plus since I had cancer I'm really trying to eat a healthy diet. Since I dont exercise MFP gave me 1200 cals & most the time when I've seen people eat less than the 1200 people start telling them along with MFP that u need to eat atleast 1200 cals. According to u, since I haven't loss anyweight for a long time I need to eat less. So how many cals should I be eating? Also I was told that I should change the % of the different types of food so what % should I eat of each of the types? I'm always too high on my sugar just with the fruit I eat at times, or cuz I eat bad cereal (even though lucky charms says it's healthy on the box), & I really like having a half cup of low fat ice cream in a cone every night. I would also like to know if there us anyplace on the web that I can type the foods that I do like & have the site tell recommend foods that I should try based on the fact of what I like. It's too expensive to just start trying random food plus I have to have someone get it for me. My oldest daughter works hard to overcome the family diet problems & she said I shouldnt eat too many carbs cuz they turn to fat if unused which they would be in my body & that I should eat my ice cream @ lunch & not eat after dinner @ 6. I'm starving if I do that & when I get too hungry in not eat something I want I end up eating way too much & not the right foods. MFP friends have been trying to help me get more protein and less carbs and no ice cream or diet soda in my diet but over the last few weeks I've been real hungry & I've gone over my 1200 cals that I use stay just around the 1200 mark I know this is a lot & I'm a mess but thank you for any help u can give me, I'd really like to weigh around 125-35lbs but I've been stuck at 159-6? On the diet & before chemo 180.

Report Post Quote Reply

Hi, thanks for posting. It looks like you have a lot of issues going on at the same time. My advice still stands for weight loss. If you want to lose weight, create a larger caloric deficit. If you want specific advice on how to achieve that in a personalized way for you, I recommend you hire a RD to work with you 1 on 1 if this is really something that is important to you.
  • jtreadwell
    jtreadwell Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Will my body get used to me eating 1200 calories? Or will I continue to lose weight for as long as I continue eating 1200 calories?

Eventually your body will get used to just about any consistent level of caloric input. There is nothing to do about it except wait until you plateau and make adjustments if you want to keep going.

Thank you for responding! So what do I do when that happens and I have not yet reached my goal weight? Should I decrease my calories to less then 1200? What type of adjustments need to be made?
  • ArmyRD
    ArmyRD Posts: 24
    Options
    "seems like there is a book here. that would have a much wider reach than this blog and could potentially help a lot more people. since mfp does not have a big ad budget like other online companies its still relatively unknown.

For example. The book could be something like "100 People who lost 100+ pounds and Kept It Off For At Least 2 Years". It should be written a professional writer, you, a psychologist, and a personal trainer perhaps with comments sections from the professionals on what those people did right."

there is a website - obesityregistry.com - that does just exactly that!!
  • snafuing1
    Options
    Thank you for responding! So what do I do when that happens and I have not yet reached my goal weight? Should I decrease my calories to less then 1200? What type of adjustments need to be made?

I second this question, please! Do you have any suggestions that you don't mind sharing for making these adjustments? I've been told over and over not to eat below 1200 calories, is that wrong?
  • FoodandFitness
    Options
    Will my body get used to me eating 1200 calories? Or will I continue to lose weight for as long as I continue eating 1200 calories?

Eventually your body will get used to just about any consistent level of caloric input. There is nothing to do about it except wait until you plateau and make adjustments if you want to keep going.

Try a 10% calorie cut. Keep your protein up around 1g per lb lean mass. You'll need to know your body composition to determine this.
  • hispanicdr
    Options
    Hi Tony,

Thanks so much for your willingness to help. It means a lot.

My name is Patricia and I've been working on losing weight and getting fit for the last few years. When I first started I was 189 pounds I'm 5'8 (Jan 2008). I come from a family where food is just the way to have fun and relax with love ones, so it's hard to not use food as comfort. I went down to 160-158 (Nov. 2008) by doing Weight watchers and going to the gym. I moved, got married and got pregnant but had a miscarriage and after much trying I am up to 181 again. I want to lose some of the weight before we try getting pregnant again but I've become really discourage because...

- I got back at the gym but didn't lose any weight.
    - Signed back up to Weight watchers and South Beach diet and lost a little but gained weight back and more.
    - I find myself hungry pretty often... So I go over the calorie count and feel guilty after.

I don't know what else to do. I notice that if I workout and count calories at the same time it gets overwhelming. So I have to get one of the two down first and then add the other one.

Where can I get started? Could you give me some good detailed advice?

Thanks again!

Sorry if this sounds a bit sad. I'm just having a hard time with it.
  • hillary2424
    Options
    Hi! Thanks for your help to everyone!
    Im 19, and I'm 5'4", 129 pounds, and Id say approximately 20% body fat but Im not sure. Whats the best diet for someone who has trouble finding time to exercise? Also incorporating foods that are substantial and filling and wont make me feel hungry right after? And realistically, how long would it take for me to get to 118-120 pounds?I was 141 and it took me about 4-5 months to just get to 129. Thank you!
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    Are you still at this? Wow!

Female, 36, 5'7, 125. Maintaining 1+ year after 40lb loss. Novice lifter; previously did circuits/cardio.

I've been maintaining for a year on 2000-2800 (most days = 2200 ish, numerical average ~ 2400. High days = weekends/alcohol :/ ).

During my year of weight loss, I ate at 1700-2000. Those numbers now seem impossible - on days I eat less than 1900, I'm hungry, uncomfortable, etc. I would need to cut prob 10% to meet my desired body composition goals, and I just can't see doing it in a sustainable way.

I eat a range of meats , veg, dairy, & whole grains, & have the odd fruit. Meals are simple but pleasurable, & cooked at home.

Making further changes to my diet would mean substantially changing my food preferences and lifestyle, and I think I'd enjoy my life a lot less.

***Am I wrong about this? Have you seen people radically change their diets and stay with it for the long haul? Which protein/fat foods best promote satiety?***

(Also: is post-weight loss fat qualitatively different than 'fat' fat? I swear it feels less 'attached'.)
  • elle77
    elle77 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Bump......you r awesome! :)
  • Macrocarpa
    Macrocarpa Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    If you can't lose weight- you need to eat less and exercise more.

Thank you. This approach (and realisation) saw me move from 113kg (250lb) to 81kg (178.5lb) in 12 months. It never felt dangerous, unsustainable, or remarkable in and of itself.

I am a huge advocate of the 'exercise more' part. I know it doesn't work for everyone, but whilst eating less feels like a sacrifice, exercise is very much its own reward.